Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

The log files should tell you specifically why it rejected them as unknown series.

Here's an excerpt from the logs after I did a manual search on one of the missing episodes, I'm not entirely sure what it's failing to do:

code:
19-4-21 19:16:46.4|Trace|DownloadDecisionMaker|Processing release 69/133
19-4-21 19:16:46.4|Debug|DownloadDecisionMaker|Processing release 'Once.Upon.A.Time.S05E02.1080p.BluRay.x264-ROVERS-Obfuscated' from 'NZBGeek'
19-4-21 19:16:46.5|Debug|Parser|Parsing string 'Once.Upon.A.Time.S05E02.1080p.BluRay.x264-ROVERS-Obfuscated'
19-4-21 19:16:46.5|Trace|Parser|^(?<title>.+?)(?:(?:[-_\W](?<![()\[!]))+S?(?<season>(?<!\d+)(?:\d{1,2})(?!\d+))(?:[ex]|\W[ex]){1,2}(?<episode>\d{2,3}(?!\d+))(?:(?:\-|[ex]|\W[ex]|_){1,2}(?<episode>\d{2,3}(?!\d+)))*)\W?(?!\\)
19-4-21 19:16:46.5|Debug|Parser|Episode Parsed. Once Upon A Time - S05E02 
19-4-21 19:16:46.5|Debug|Parser|Language parsed: English
19-4-21 19:16:46.5|Debug|QualityParser|Trying to parse quality for Once.Upon.A.Time.S05E02.1080p.BluRay.x264-ROVERS-Obfuscated
19-4-21 19:16:46.5|Debug|Parser|Quality parsed: Bluray-1080p v1
19-4-21 19:16:46.5|Debug|Parser|Release Group parsed: ROVERS
19-4-21 19:16:46.5|Debug|ParsingService|No matching series Once Upon A Time
19-4-21 19:16:46.5|Debug|DownloadDecisionMaker|Release rejected for the following reasons: [Permanent] Unknown Series
I don't want to cross the boundary of talking about specific usenet content in this thread so please let me know if I'm going too far here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
It's unreasonable, but possible, that the capitalized A in the title of the release is throwing it off. All of the releases I grabbed before had a lowercase A, and I bet the title in Sonarr does too.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
It wouldn't surprise me if that's just a bug. I just did a quick search of the Sonarr source code, but I saw at lease one spot that looked like it could result in an episode being marked a "No matching series" if it was found in one database but not another.

This was a quick glance, so I'm not confident enough to go open a bug report or something, but I'd be willing to bet it's just a bug.

To Vykk's point, it does look like they lower-case titles before comparing them, so hopefully that's not the problem.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sonarr and Radarr would both be better off with a 'do less' mindset.

Like I dont need Sonarr or Radarr to give me a progress bar on downloads its sent to SABNZBD, because i can see that information in that app. this is the stuff that most frequently fucks up for Sonarr, and because it thinks its still downloading, it sometimes wont post process and move/rename.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Laserface posted:

Sonarr and Radarr would both be better off with a 'do less' mindset.

Like I dont need Sonarr or Radarr to give me a progress bar on downloads its sent to SABNZBD, because i can see that information in that app. this is the stuff that most frequently fucks up for Sonarr, and because it thinks its still downloading, it sometimes wont post process and move/rename.

That's not how programming works. Progress bars are being displayed since they're already tracking progress for downloads to know when to process the files, and removing the visualization from the web interface won't do anything to fix the issues where it loses track.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The biggest issue I've had recently with the automation "overthinking" things has been that Sonarr does not like episodes that have the name set to "TBD". This has been particularly problematic with a series that recently started airing on Sunday, since the way it's sourced means that the episode name only becomes available minutes before its available to download.

Sometimes it downloads but doesn't import the video to the collection, sometimes it doesn't download at all, until it decides to refresh the series data again. Since my girlfriend considers this show very important I have to babysit it around 9:10 and do a manual series refresh before things work as expected.

There doesn't seem to be any way to tell it to just go download it even without a name.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 22, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/bfxn31/when_adding_animetosho_to_hydra_it_complains_that/

I like the nzbhydra developer's response. Do you make the software work the way users might want or do you make your software what you believe is the right way. Apple does the latter. Sonarr is the latter. Nzbhydra seems to be the former. I'm not saying good software can't be made by people saying "gently caress the users they're idiots" but I certainly feel that thinking you know what's best all the time can make for inferior programs.

wolrah posted:

The biggest issue I've had recently with the automation "overthinking" things has been that Sonarr does not like episodes that have the name set to "TBD". This has been particularly problematic with a series that recently started airing on Sunday, since the way it's sourced means that the episode name only becomes available minutes before its available to download.

Sometimes it downloads but doesn't import the video to the collection, sometimes it doesn't download at all, until it decides to refresh the series data again. Since my girlfriend considers this show very important I have to babysit it around 9:10 and do a manual series refresh before things work as expected.

There doesn't seem to be any way to tell it to just go download it even without a name.

Obviously Cleopatra 2525. I had the lack of episode name issue on Sunday too.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Duck and Cover posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/bfxn31/when_adding_animetosho_to_hydra_it_complains_that/

I like the nzbhydra developer's response. Do you make the software work the way users might want or do you make your software what you believe is the right way. Apple does the latter. Sonarr is the latter. Nzbhydra seems to be the former. I'm not saying good software can't be made by people saying "gently caress the users they're idiots" but I certainly feel that thinking you know what's best all the time can make for inferior programs.
I think the correct answer to that question comes down to where the input is coming from.

If your software is accepting input from humans it should do its best to work with what it's given as long as it's not risking any data and mistaken assumptions are easy to correct.

If your software is accepting input from other software over a well defined protocol it should adhere as strictly to that protocol as practical, preferring to fail with a descriptive error over attempting to continue wherever possible.

Not everything will fall cleanly in to one of those two buckets, you'll have to use your judgement on those.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Basic tenet of programming: Robustness principle or Postel's Law. Be conservative in what you send, be liberal in what you accept.

Not that that tenet is universally accepted, but much of the internet was built with that principle in mind.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Having a set vision of what you want to make and going down the path of that is better than letting design by committee lead you down a path you’re less passionate about. If people don’t like how something is done, they’re free to make or commission something that works that way.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Having a set vision of what you want to make and going down the path of that is better than letting design by committee lead you down a path you’re less passionate about. If people don’t like how something is done, they’re free to make or commission something that works that way.

Yes software tool developers totally need an artists style of ego. Anyones ability or inability to make or commission something has no barring at all towards the criticisms they make. It amazes me anyone thinks that's a valid thing to say ever.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 23, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah god forbid someone makes the piece of software they want to.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah god forbid someone makes the piece of software they want to.

I'm sorry did I say that? No I didn't. Like I knew you were getting to this point but as I never said that I didn't want to jump the gun. Sure people can make lovely software all they want, I'm still going to call it out for it's faults.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Never said you couldn’t.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Never said you couldn’t.

Fair enough. Anyway I've been waiting for this Eweka has a sale going https://www.eweka.nl/en/speciaal-koningsdag. For the most part I'm finding my newsgroup.ninja to be enough but I've been wanting another for those gaps. While a block account may be the right way to go Eweka doesn't offer one.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 23, 2019

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Sonarr picked a file with stereo sound instead of 5.1. None of the quality settings appear to be sound aware -- any tricks for dealing with this problem efficiently in the future?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Was it a web version perhaps? Sometimes shows go up as stereo for some reason, which is always a pain in the butt.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Is it actually stereo or just Dolby+? I had a Dolby+ rip come down recently and noticed that Kodi had a new setting to enable Dolby+ passthrough that wasn't there a few months ago, it had defaulted to off and caused Kodi to do a stereo downmix.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Plex shows it as AAC, and it plays as Stereo via a Denon x4400 that otherwise has had no trouble with anything multichannel I can throw at it.

Does a manual search and a manual add to queue eventually replace the old release? Testing now. Was just wondering if there was something bigger I was missing.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
sonarr is still mass renaming and moving local files whenever it tries to grab a new file (366 files were renamed and moved trying to download a single episode of a totally different show), and I cannot tell what the hell is going on from the logs, googling around, and even asking on the loving reddit

should I just use sickbeard? it's ugly and I hate the interface, but sonarr is ruining my library and this is the fourth time I've had to restore from backup

astral
Apr 26, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

sonarr is still mass renaming and moving local files whenever it tries to grab a new file (366 files were renamed and moved trying to download a single episode of a totally different show), and I cannot tell what the hell is going on from the logs, googling around, and even asking on the loving reddit

should I just use sickbeard? it's ugly and I hate the interface, but sonarr is ruining my library and this is the fourth time I've had to restore from backup

Are you using the drone factory? Don't use the drone factory.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

astral posted:

Are you using the drone factory? Don't use the drone factory.
i don't think so. i googled "sonarr drone factory" and it looks like sonarr ditched drone factory in 2014, and replaced that with something called "Completed Download Handling," which sounds like a process for moving the completed files to the proper folder, and is half the reason I want to use sonarr in the first place.

can I seriously not trust sonarr to automatically download files and move them to the proper directory without loving up hundreds of my files with the Completed Download Handling feature? all I want is for my girlfriend to be able to watch her shows through plex without me having to individually download new episodes

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Is the place you're downloading to different from the place the final media is stored? If it's not, you're going to have a bad time.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

wolrah posted:

Is the place you're downloading to different from the place the final media is stored? If it's not, you're going to have a bad time.

This actually does work since it'd just put the files into folders in the download folder. Like you still shouldn't do it but when I did I don't think I had any issues because of it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 23, 2019

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Did you set your watch folder to the same folder as your library? that causes symptoms like you've described.

I have episodes where half of the episodes for a show are in"Season 06" and half are in "Season 6" and sonarr doesn't try to fix it up. I really should make it do a rename on them but Kodi doesn't really care so I haven't bothered.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

wolrah posted:

yup, that was the problem! thanks, i'm an idiot.

however, now I get an error "Import failed, path does not exist or is not accessible by Sonarr" when it tries to download a file. Where do I fix the permissions?

edit: and frustratingly enough, my radarr, which is configured exactly the same way, doesn't have this permission problem

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 23, 2019

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

TenementFunster posted:

yup, that was the problem! thanks, i'm an idiot.

however, now I get an error "Import failed, path does not exist or is not accessible by Sonarr" when it tries to download a file. Where do I fix the permissions?

edit: and frustratingly enough, my radarr, which is configured exactly the same way, doesn't have this permission problem

That error seems like it can only occur if file or folder doesn't exist. Are you sure the paths are correct? Is it possible some other service is moving the downloaded files? Ex, having Sab move files of that category to a specific location?

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

"Life can be a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when there's so much on the line. But you and I can make a difference. There's a mission just for you and me."

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
lol holy poo poo sonarr deleted all my poo poo ~again~, even after I changed the download folders in SABnzbd

just so I have this right, I should have my SABnzbd to download to an unsorted directory, and then sonarr should move the files to the final directory, or is the process not automated at all?

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.

KS posted:

Sonarr picked a file with stereo sound instead of 5.1. None of the quality settings appear to be sound aware -- any tricks for dealing with this problem efficiently in the future?

Yeah, same here. It's annoying. I noticed in my case there's only a handful of release groups that release stereo instead of 5.1, so I added those group names into Sonarr's [Settings > Indexers > Must Not Contain]. That seems to work for me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

TenementFunster posted:

lol holy poo poo sonarr deleted all my poo poo ~again~, even after I changed the download folders in SABnzbd

just so I have this right, I should have my SABnzbd to download to an unsorted directory, and then sonarr should move the files to the final directory, or is the process not automated at all?

Sonarr sees a release on your indexer.
Sonarr sends release to your download client (in this case SABnzbd).
Sonarr monitors your download client via its API.
Sonarr sees the download is finished.
Sonarr gets file from where SABnzbd saved it and moves it to its final location (along with renaming it to whatever).

It's been so long since I've used SABnzbd, but I assume it's like NZBget...namely there is a "downloading" directory you configure and a "downloaded" directory you configure. The "downloading" directory is where SABnzbd saves the in-progress download and then the "downloaded" directory is where SABnzbd puts the extracted file.

Both the "downloading" and "downloaded" directory should be completely separate from your media storage directories.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And it does all that pretty much out the box without doing much in the way of setup, so there’s some configuration option set very wrong on your side to get the results you are

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
yeah, i’ve spent probably 20 hours trying to figure out what the gently caress is happening without any luck, or even anyone who has had the
same problem.

i have SABnzbd set up to download files to a temporary directory, and sonarr set up (i think) to put the files in season folders in the permanent folder. instead of doing that, it just renames and moves existing permanent files.

i have flattened and reinstalled both apps multiple times with the same result. i’m away from my home network at the moment, but it seems as if sonarr is treating existing files on the permanent folder as “approved files” or something. i’ll paste the log entries when i’m back.

going through the logs, this is the only entry I see that mentions both the old file and the new file it has been renamed to instead

quote:

Couldn't import episode /volume1/NAS/Media/Video/TV/Old Series/Old Season/Old Show Episode 44.mkv: Destination /volume1/NAS/Media/Video/TV/New Show/New Season/New Episode 6.mkv already exists.

Exception
NzbDrone.Common.Disk.DestinationAlreadyExistsException: Destination /volume1/NAS/Media/Video/TV/New Show/New Season/New Episode 6.mkv already exists.
at NzbDrone.Common.Disk.DiskTransferService.ClearTargetPath (System.String sourcePath, System.String targetPath, System.Boolean overwrite) [0x0002e] in <9f2860bf31524b16b46524deed33ec4b>:0
at NzbDrone.Common.Disk.DiskTransferService.TransferFile (System.String sourcePath, System.String targetPath, NzbDrone.Common.Disk.TransferMode mode, System.Boolean overwrite, NzbDrone.Common.Disk.DiskTransferVerificationMode verificationMode) [0x00225] in <9f2860bf31524b16b46524deed33ec4b>:0
at NzbDrone.Common.Disk.DiskTransferService.TransferFile (System.String sourcePath, System.String targetPath, NzbDrone.Common.Disk.TransferMode mode, System.Boolean overwrite, System.Boolean verified) [0x0000e] in <9f2860bf31524b16b46524deed33ec4b>:0
at NzbDrone.Core.MediaFiles.EpisodeFileMovingService.TransferFile (NzbDrone.Core.MediaFiles.EpisodeFile episodeFile, NzbDrone.Core.Tv.Series series, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] episodes, System.String destinationFilePath, NzbDrone.Common.Disk.TransferMode mode) [0x0012c] in <6a3dcbc5b3c2463890627fff9fca65cd>:0
at NzbDrone.Core.MediaFiles.EpisodeFileMovingService.MoveEpisodeFile (NzbDrone.Core.MediaFiles.EpisodeFile episodeFile, NzbDrone.Core.Parser.Model.LocalEpisode localEpisode) [0x0006c] in <6a3dcbc5b3c2463890627fff9fca65cd>:0
at NzbDrone.Core.MediaFiles.UpgradeMediaFileService.UpgradeEpisodeFile (NzbDrone.Core.MediaFiles.EpisodeFile episodeFile, NzbDrone.Core.Parser.Model.LocalEpisode localEpisode, System.Boolean copyOnly) [0x0017c] in <6a3dcbc5b3c2463890627fff9fca65cd>:0
at NzbDrone.Core.MediaFiles.EpisodeImport.ImportApprovedEpisodes.Import (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] decisions, System.Boolean newDownload, NzbDrone.Core.Download.DownloadClientItem downloadClientItem, NzbDrone.Core.MediaFiles.EpisodeImport.ImportMode importMode) [0x00281] in <6a3dcbc5b3c2463890627fff9fca65cd>:0
is this a problem with NZBDrone? i've never touched that.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 24, 2019

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Duck and Cover posted:

Anyway I've been waiting for this Eweka has a sale going https://www.eweka.nl/en/speciaal-koningsdag. For the most part I'm finding my newsgroup.ninja to be enough but I've been wanting another for those gaps. While a block account may be the right way to go Eweka doesn't offer one.

Hey, thanks for posting -- was waiting for it and you scooped everywhere else. First impression is it's really worthwhile -- completed a lot that Ninja was missing.

Lusername posted:

Yeah, same here. It's annoying. I noticed in my case there's only a handful of release groups that release stereo instead of 5.1, so I added those group names into Sonarr's [Settings > Indexers > Must Not Contain]. That seems to work for me.

Thanks for the tip -- I'll try that!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Eweka also is highwinds, right? No reason to sign up if I already signed up for newsdemon?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Eweka also is highwinds, right? No reason to sign up if I already signed up for newsdemon?

Eweka is Eweka. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/Usenet_Providers_and_Backbones.svg

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

TenementFunster posted:

I dont have the time to look through your log, but I noticed this.

NZBDrone is just the old name of sonarr.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

TenementFunster posted:

yeah, i’ve spent probably 20 hours trying to figure out what the gently caress is happening without any luck, or even anyone who has had the
same problem.

i have SABnzbd set up to download files to a temporary directory, and sonarr set up (i think) to put the files in season folders in the permanent folder. instead of doing that, it just renames and moves existing permanent files.

i have flattened and reinstalled both apps multiple times with the same result. i’m away from my home network at the moment, but it seems as if sonarr is treating existing files on the permanent folder as “approved files” or something. i’ll paste the log entries when i’m back.

going through the logs, this is the only entry I see that mentions both the old file and the new file it has been renamed to instead

First lets get the obvious out of the way, do you have something in the drone factory field?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Faketitleshow.Season.5.480p.HDTV.H264-20-40

In what world is 480p HD? Is this a 480p encode from a HDTV source?

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle Conspiracy
May 21, 2002

Jane Goodall watches me pee!

Duck and Cover posted:

Faketitleshow.Season.5.480p.HDTV.H264-20-40

In what world is 480p HD? Is this a 480 encode from a HDTV source? Is that what's trying to be communicated.

yes, the HDTV part is the source not the current quality.
it typically is named something like: Show.Episode.quality.source.encoder

Waffle Conspiracy fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 24, 2019