Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Eviolite can stregthen pre-evos but that's one of a very few ways pre-evos can get a leg up on their evos

About the only other one I can think of is like how Scyther and Scizor have the same bst so you might want Scyther higher speed for something or another

Pikachu gets a Sp. Atk. advantage over Raichu if you give it Light Ball, and Vigoroth doesn’t have Truant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And Rhydon is objectively better than Rhyperior cause it's not fugly as hell.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dabir posted:

And Rhydon is objectively better than Rhyperior cause it's not fugly as hell.

They're both uniquely fugly.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

rhydon is top tier monster design

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Farecoal posted:

I stopped playing Pokemon after Gen 3. I'm playing through Platinum (for the first time) right now, and will go through all the remaining main DS games. I highly doubt I'll ever play the 3DS ones. Anyway, a question. My knowledge of Pokemon mechanics is pretty much limited to what a kid playing Pokemon would have known or cared about; is there ever a good reason not to evolve a Pokemon? Cute Pokemon were always my favorite, especially "baby" ones like Pichu, starters, etc. and would love to just them without having to evolve them.

Yeah, some pokemon learn different moves in their unevolved form. For instance, I still have a Lotad in my current Alpha Sapphire run because it doesn't learn any good grass-type moves in its evolved form. Which is sort of important for coverage when you're doing a Water-based monotype run.

Speaking of which, are there any good water-type pokemon I should be on the lookout for (preferably without trading)?

Current team is Marshtomp, Lotad, Wingull, Magikarp, and Tentacool. Just completed the second gym in AS.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

huge power azumarill

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

absolutely anything posted:

that all being said you can totally get through single player not evolving anything, pokemon ain't hard. just use the babies you enjoy

:3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKCtm43kN5g&t=57s

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

oddium posted:

rhydon is top tier monster design

Rhydon's general concept (chunky, bipedal, tailed dinosaur-kaiju) is almost as overused as monkeys/apes. Nidoking/Nidoqueen, Tyranitar, Kangaskhan (although Kangaskhan at least stands out by being a Mongolian kangaroo), Feraligatr, Aggron, Armaldo...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

those are some top tier monster designs

also rhydon was the first monster so he gets a pass fro mthat anyway

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

oddium posted:

those are some top tier monster designs

also rhydon was the first monster so he gets a pass fro mthat anyway

Rhydon is part of the same generation as Nidoking, Nidoqueen, and Kangaskhan (as the game designers must have been aware, since they gave Giovanni all four of them). I don't really think Rhydon is bad, though; it's just amusing to point out the similarities.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

This is very cute

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Rhydon is part of the same generation as Nidoking, Nidoqueen, and Kangaskhan (as the game designers must have been aware, since they gave Giovanni all four of them). I don't really think Rhydon is bad, though; it's just amusing to point out the similarities.

Speaking of Giovanni's team composition, I just noticed that he has a Marowak in B2/W2. Some pretty dark implications there (does it know Giovanni's underlings killed its mother?), although it was probably chosen just because it was a Kanto Ground-type.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Gripweed posted:

oh good. I really enjoyed the game but if there was more significant plot after that, that would be too much

That guy's a dick

Only chance you're going to get one for awhile. Just saying.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

rhydon is literally the first monster designed, he is the ur-pokemon

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Rhydon contains the memetic code of all pokemon, and designed the universe with its 1,000 horns.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

thy kingdom come, thy drill be spun

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Gruckles posted:

Rhydon contains the memetic code of all pokemon, and designed the universe with its 1,000 horns.

This is much better than whatever Arceus is supposed to be.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Silver2195 posted:

Speaking of Giovanni's team composition, I just noticed that he has a Marowak in B2/W2. Some pretty dark implications there (does it know Giovanni's underlings killed its mother?), although it was probably chosen just because it was a Kanto Ground-type.

On the other hand, a crime lord adopting a child he orphaned is genre-appropriate as heck for mob boss Giovanni. You can even read it positively as him making amends for his mistakes, or negatively as him grooming a loyal follower and extracting maximum :moreevil: from his crime business.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

lightrook posted:

On the other hand, a crime lord adopting a child he orphaned is genre-appropriate as heck for mob boss Giovanni. You can even read it positively as him making amends for his mistakes, or negatively as him grooming a loyal follower and extracting maximum :moreevil: from his crime business.

Given that Giovanni has already abandoned one child and says that all Pokémon are tools, I highly doubt that he’s trying to do some “adopt the children of those I killed” poo poo

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Compared to later villains, Giovanni's very one note. He has virtually no excuse to do all the things he does and has no real motives apart from wanting to be the strongest and world domination.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Pokémon writers have no capacity to provide even a modicum of personality so I much prefer a simplistic Team Rocket taking over public buildings to the more recent over-complex under-written contrivances they’ve had.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
A lot of things about Giovanni got retconned, didn't they? Although I think some of that is the fault of the translators...

https://twitter.com/obskyr/status/986295000060309509

I do like how the introduction of parallel universes allows multiple versions of Giovanni to be equally "canon", though. There can be an RBYGSC Giovanni who said "Team Rocket is finished forever!" and actually meant it, along with remake/USUM Giovannis who never stopped being evil.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 23, 2019

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Silver2195 posted:

Rhydon's general concept (chunky, bipedal, tailed dinosaur-kaiju) is almost as overused as monkeys/apes. Nidoking/Nidoqueen, Tyranitar, Kangaskhan (although Kangaskhan at least stands out by being a Mongolian kangaroo), Feraligatr, Aggron, Armaldo...

Godzilla is king of the monsters for a reason

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Vegetable posted:

The Pokémon writers have no capacity to provide even a modicum of personality so I much prefer a simplistic Team Rocket taking over public buildings to the more recent over-complex under-written contrivances they’ve had.

Uhhhhhh...no? Quite a few characters in later gens had pretty awesome personalities. Alola in particular was full of em'. Giovanni is one note because he's a first gen villain. Putting him and Team rocket in more complicated circumstances flops because they're just the yakuza. They just wanted domination of the region and money in the first one. Trying to compete with cults, abusive parents and eco terrorists doesn't really fly afterward.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 23, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Uhhhhhh...no? Quite a few characters in later gens had pretty awesome personalities. Alola in particular was full of em'. Giovanni is one note because he's a first gen villain. Putting him and Team rocket in more complicated circumstances flops because they're just the yakuza. They just wanted domination of the region and money in the first one. Trying to compete with cults, abusive parents and eco terrorists doesn't really fly afterward.

I think it's sort of refreshing that Team Rocket just wants money and power with no real ideological justifications. (I guess some fans think they're "human supremacists," based mainly on a few lines from "The Legend of Thunder," but this isn't really reflected elsewhere in the anime; I don't remember Butch and Cassidy ranting about Meowth being subhuman or anything like that. And in the games, especially in Gen I, Pokemon are animal-like enough that Giovanni viewing them as tools comes across as general assholishness rather than a radical political stance.)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Giovanni is cool, he invented Rhyperior and dropkicks pokeballs instead of throwing them.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Funky Valentine posted:

Giovanni is cool, he invented Rhyperior

wtf I hate giovanni now

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Here's my Pokèopinion: all pokemon are good (even rhyperior), except for lucario

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't know if i've posted about it before, but i like gen 2 a whole lot especially due to team rocket mostly just fumbling around and doing weird bullshit to make ends meet or try and get giovanni's attention to get him to come back. it gives it a more relaxed feeling so you, the player, can just sort of focus on the ambience.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
all Pokemon are good but some are dumb and/or ugly. you can be ugly and still be good, and DON'T tell me not to sign my posts!!!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Zuzie posted:

Compared to later villains, Giovanni's very one note. He has virtually no excuse to do all the things he does and has no real motives apart from

money

m o n e y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpbbuaIA3Ds

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zuzie posted:

Compared to later villains, Giovanni's very one note. He has virtually no excuse to do all the things he does and has no real motives apart from wanting to be the strongest and world domination.

What do you mean he has no excuse, he's a crime boss of course he wants more power

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't know if i've posted about it before, but i like gen 2 a whole lot especially due to team rocket mostly just fumbling around and doing weird bullshit to make ends meet or try and get giovanni's attention to get him to come back. it gives it a more relaxed feeling so you, the player, can just sort of focus on the ambience.

it’s so good

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Johnny Joestar posted:

It is hilarious that the evil Team of Gen II’s grand plan is to take over a radio tower and beg for their old boss to come back. Gens I and II didn’t really have anything resembling a plot, but at least Gen II’s Team Rocket was almost endearingly pathetic.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Yo they took over the radio tower so they could broadcast the same signal that made magikarp become red gyarados. It’s a little more sinister than you remember.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If that was the plan, they don't get around to doing that before you get there.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Funky Valentine posted:

Giovanni is cool, he invented Rhyperior

Easily the worst crime he ever committed.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
rhyperior is fine you jerks!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Sorry OP he’s a trash fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Rhyperior is an esteemed courtroom judge.