Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Absolutely fucks me right off when you accidentally bump into someone, they open fire on you then you get arrested if you shoot back. They should at least have NPCs get chased by the law for that, and I'm surprised they don't given the absurd detail in the game in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

ThomasPaine posted:

Absolutely fucks me right off when you accidentally bump into someone, they open fire on you then you get arrested if you shoot back. They should at least have NPCs get chased by the law for that, and I'm surprised they don't given the absurd detail in the game in general

And you get bad karma on top of all that. I will say I’ve let myself get arrested a few times - it’s always fun when someone in the gang comes to break you out. I’ve had Dutch sweet talk me out, and Charles and John bust in shooting to rescue me, and then you have to escape on horseback.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

And you get bad karma on top of all that. I will say I’ve let myself get arrested a few times - it’s always fun when someone in the gang comes to break you out. I’ve had Dutch sweet talk me out, and Charles and John bust in shooting to rescue me, and then you have to escape on horseback.

oh that's cool, I had one where dutch sweet talked the sheriff into letting me go, and one where hosea turned up with some moonshine and got them wasted so I could escape, but I've not seen the charles/john one

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

An NPC overreacting and opening fire on you and you getting a bounty for defending yourself is one of the most infuriating things in the game.

Or the trespassing charges in Saint Denis. Once I rode a horse into a street lamp and Arthur's body got thrown onto somebody's lawn - you bet that I got hit with trespassing before I could even stand up, loving ridiculous.

It's even more frustrating because of how many different scenarios actually are covered by the game. Once after repeatedly antagonizing somebody in Saint Denis I got hit with "disturbing the peace". This happened shortly after the trespassing situation so I waited for the police wondering if they're going to actually shoot me dead for insulting a random dude in the street, are you kidding me? Well, a police officer came and said "if I were you I'd make sure I'm not needed somewhere else" and that's it - I could just walk away from the red area, no chase, nothing and no bounty either. The game recognizing that but not an NPC shooting at you first is what's so jarring.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I know anecdotal but i have had the law rescue me from people. I have also defended myself from aggressors in town without a wanted level... But i think only by lassoing or punching them out.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

It is p funny that you can walk down the street antagonizing everyone and if you goad someone into a fight and knock them out you get no bounty lol

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Mantis42 posted:

Have you considered that Red Dead is bad, actually, because the protagonist isn't racist and sexist enough??

JFC that guy has no loving clue at all. He should read up on figures like John Brown or Calamity Jane.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I stabbed the racist eugenics guy in the chest in broad daylight with the a dozen people watching and got no bounty or honor loss. It was pretty great.

Overall though, the bounties are way too strict and it sucks there's no way to get rid of them other then paying. Unless there are pardon letters like in the first game and I just haven't found them?

Spalec fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 20, 2019

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Spalec posted:

I stabbed the Racist Eugenics guy in the chest in broad daylight with the a dozen people watching and got no bounty or honor loss. It was pretty great.

Overall though, the bounties are way too strict and it sucks there's no way to get rid of them other then paying. Unless there are pardon letters like in the first game and I just haven't found them?

Nah, nothing like that as far as I can tell. You just have to pay it off.

I wish there was actually a way to win shootouts with the police. It's kind of dumb that in the middle of the wilderness you can still have unlimited magic cops who know exactly where you are. If you kill every witness and cop in some backwater you shouldn't still have a bounty! I like the idea of having it work in waves, so if you hold off enough you get a short period to escape. I guess this is an issue with GTA too.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Spalec posted:

I stabbed the racist eugenics guy in the chest in broad daylight with the a dozen people watching and got no bounty or honor loss. It was pretty great.

I maxed out my honor the first time by throwing a stick of dynamite into a klan rally, which made the achievement all the sweeter

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Vichan posted:

JFC that guy has no loving clue at all. He should read up on figures like John Brown or Calamity Jane.
I like how he refers to Dutch as a proto-communist despite Dutch being born several years after the Communist Manifesto's publication.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
I cannot figure out how to stand down so that the cops arrest me instead of just shooting my face off. It was an option like once in Valentine but every other time I thought I better just go to prison and stop this parabolic bounty I just get shot by every cop who approaches me. (Yes, I holster my weapons...)

I hate that when I save a random stranger on the trail from a rapist or their kidnapper and try to bring the guy to a jail hog-tied I get labelled as a kidnapper... I've heard that in some fringe circumstances you can bring in a random assailant but it's never worked for me.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

TheBananaKing posted:

I cannot figure out how to stand down so that the cops arrest me instead of just shooting my face off. It was an option like once in Valentine but every other time I thought I better just go to prison and stop this parabolic bounty I just get shot by every cop who approaches me. (Yes, I holster my weapons...)

I hate that when I save a random stranger on the trail from a rapist or their kidnapper and try to bring the guy to a jail hog-tied I get labelled as a kidnapper... I've heard that in some fringe circumstances you can bring in a random assailant but it's never worked for me.

So there’s no option to surrender in the interact menu? This game is very buggy where that is concerned - sometimes the “Greet” options light up for like a second then they dim again for stranger missions and you lose the whole option to pursue that mission.

I’ve also never had the extra bounties work for me. You can also bring in the people from the bounty hunter stranger encounters, once you kill the guys transporting them and you free them from the cage, you are supposed to be able to take them into the nearest town fora reward. I get my face shot off every time I try it though.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

So there’s no option to surrender in the interact menu? This game is very buggy where that is concerned - sometimes the “Greet” options light up for like a second then they dim again for stranger missions and you lose the whole option to pursue that mission.

I’ve also never had the extra bounties work for me. You can also bring in the people from the bounty hunter stranger encounters, once you kill the guys transporting them and you free them from the cage, you are supposed to be able to take them into the nearest town fora reward. I get my face shot off every time I try it though.
People roped on the back of a horse are bounties captured by some dipshit and you're free to steal the bounty from them.

People in cages are criminals being transported to prison or a hanging by the law.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
I actually came across a guy labeled as "bounty target" being transported in a normal stage, but when I tried to return his corpse everyone thought I was some crazed killer.

I'll have to check again on the dialog options but the last time I ran up to a lawman was in Saint Denis and I don't think the surrender option even presented itself, greyed or no. But I only had a second or two of running at the lawman before my head was blown off.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I never knew what the deal was with those caged people but every time one of those wagons went by I had to drop what I was doing and kill all the guards immediately

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I remember about halfway through this game, I found the corpse of Bonnie Macfarlane's boyfriend and got the bright idea I was going to cart him all the way to the nearest town and dump him off at the sheriff. So I did. Sheriff came after me for "Disturbing the peace."

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

There is if you have the option to surrender, otherwise when you "aim" without a weapon out Arthur will just draw his pistol anyway.

Or at least, that's how I think this works.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Man, I've started replaying and the foreshadowing at the start of the game are crazy. But when "The Fire in Your Eyes" starts playing, I almost lost it. I feel like they really designed the start of the game to really have your first playthrough weigh on you when you play again.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

IIRC you have to have your weapon holstered to surrender.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

If the cops' aggro level is in full shootout mode I don't think you can surrender. You need to be quick on doing it before things escalate, and sometimes they can go right for shooting you straight in the forehead.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
In Valentine I got into a fist fight with someone and the police just told me to go away.

I was transporting a lovely brown thoroughbred to the stable to save and Lemoyne raiders jumped and chased him away :(

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Snowy posted:

I never knew what the deal was with those caged people but every time one of those wagons went by I had to drop what I was doing and kill all the guards immediately

I've run across this one time so far, and killed the guards.
...and then for the life of me could NOT get the drat wagon open. I believe I looted everyone and looked around thinking there might be a key or other 'trigger' item that allowed me to open it, but got nothing, and no matter where I stood around it or on it, I couldn't get any 'open' or 'free' option seemingly no matter what I did.
Either I missed something obvious (very probable as I am very dumb), or do these occasionally bug out, or is that intentional and I'm just supposed to cart them around for awhile either to a town, the nearest set of railroad tracks, or steep embankment?
As it stood, I believe I'd shot the horse(s?) on the wagon team and so it may have just been sitting there with the person stuck in it begging to get out. Not knowing what it was, I just felt real bad leaving them to die of exposure in a locked box.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Big Beef City posted:

...and then for the life of me could NOT get the drat wagon open. I believe I looted everyone and looked around thinking there might be a key or other 'trigger' item that allowed me to open it, but got nothing, and no matter where I stood around it or on it, I couldn't get any 'open' or 'free' option seemingly no matter what I did.
Either I missed something obvious (very probable as I am very dumb), or do these occasionally bug out, or is that intentional and I'm just supposed to cart them around for awhile either to a town, the nearest set of railroad tracks, or steep embankment?
As it stood, I believe I'd shot the horse(s?) on the wagon team and so it may have just been sitting there with the person stuck in it begging to get out. Not knowing what it was, I just felt real bad leaving them to die of exposure in a locked box.

You shoot the lock. (Usually the prisoner tells you this as well)

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Big Beef City posted:

You can shoot the lock open and then the criminal will usually give you a tip about where to find a house to rob or some such thing.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I have had no luck with rdo since it launched. I'm able to play for about thirty minutes at most before it disconnects me from the server. Is this just how it is, or am I just hosed in some strange new way?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It’s more like you’re blessed in some strange way. If only we were all similarly protected from exposure to that hot garbage

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
That's actually how I'm taking it. I try once every few weeks, play for my allotted half hour, and walk away.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Vichan posted:

Good 'ol Jane

Also do split point bullets make your weapon degrade faster? My Lancaster is seemingly always fouled up.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

HebrewMagic posted:

I have had no luck with rdo since it launched. I'm able to play for about thirty minutes at most before it disconnects me from the server. Is this just how it is, or am I just hosed in some strange new way?

This is similar to my situation. Are your network connection NAT 3? Mine is, and I suspect that's the culprit. I brought my PlayStation on a trip where the connection was something else I was never disconnected.
It's probably possible to fix it with port forwarding, but the online isn't fun enough for me to bother with convincing my roommate to let me mess around inside his prescious router.
Fwiw I have no problem getting paired up with buddies in No Man's Sky and Destiny.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Gruckles posted:

You can shoot the lock open and then the criminal will usually give you a tip about where to find a house to rob or some such thing.

I freed a guy once and he immediately grabbed a gun and tried to steal my horse.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Today my dad sent me a picture text of his virtual cowboy from the copy of RDR2 I bought him and it's making me unreasonably happy :)

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Smellrose

Gruckles posted:

If the cops' aggro level is in full shootout mode I don't think you can surrender. You need to be quick on doing it before things escalate, and sometimes they can go right for shooting you straight in the forehead.

Doesn't take much to get there. From that point on it seems hitting the L button that would normally bring you to the dialogs always results in a pistol draw. I loitered too long in cinematic mode and when I resumed the lawmen we're all full on bloodrage boner homicidal maniacs, so I can't possibly surrender. Kind of annoying...

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

NiceGuy posted:

Today my dad sent me a picture text of his virtual cowboy from the copy of RDR2 I bought him and it's making me unreasonably happy :)

:unsmith:

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Show the picture!!!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

hup posted:

Show the picture!!!

It's very sexual.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

And? :q:

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Finally got around to playing the epilogue and the house building montage is amazing

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Well, let me have a ruler and a saw and a board and I'll cut it

*tok* *tok* *tok*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Dad's a simple man, and so he made a simple Arthur. This is almost immediately after the mountains though so he hasn't had a chance to grow out the mane yet. Still :3:

Only registered members can see post attachments!