Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, to expand on this, my big bullshit problem is inventory management. I don't know why so many folks playing modded MC are cool with just like a fuckpile of chests around their base, because every mod adds a billion items, but it drives me up a goddamn wall.

I'm playing FTB:Interactions right now, and it struck me that 'oh, hey, I need a bunch more of all this stuff...and I already have 9 double chests in my main storage room absolutely full, and about another 5 or 6 around my base.' I'm not even hoarding random poo poo, this is just like 'stuff I've collected while getting to LV'. I haven't even gotten started on the gregtech microcrafting yet.

I don't mind fiddling around with multiblocks, but boy howdy am I completely uninterested in the 'oh you'll get AE2 much later' problem. I'm either going to straight up cheat a pile of obsidian chests (which are hilariously expensive and lategame in here and represent a reasonable amount of storage), or just build myself a tiny AE2 system as a placeholder.

And all that, and this is EZMode Gregtech. I think it might be adult ADD or something rearing it's ugly head but I just lose all focus when I have to dig through a million chests to find things.

I am admin on a custom modpack, and we had one player rage quit when we added a few mods as we refused to change the AE2 config to disable channels and remove the meteors, Why do some people want to make everything a cakewalk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

I am admin on a custom modpack, and we had one player rage quit when we added a few mods as we refused to change the AE2 config to disable channels and remove the meteors, Why do some people want to make everything a cakewalk?

The meteors are really dumb, hth.

Subtle "cazhuls rooinin muh minecrafts" too

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

any time the challenge is "run for an hour across the overworld" and nothing else it's something that can be casually excised

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

TheresaJayne posted:

The point I was making (and really, just echoing) is that different players find different things 'bullshit' - the flip side here is that there's definitely stuff in your modpack that SOMEONE thinks is 'just an ez mode mod'.

For me, Inventory Management is just a huge pain in the rear end. I don't mind long exploration trips (like Patware mentioned disliking) if I know what I'm off to get, I don't mind working with finicky multiblocks, etc. I don't even really mind Gregtech style 'bits and bobs and pieces and parts'...as long as I'm not slowly filling up my base with millions of bullshit chests where I can't find anything. I totally see why some people would find those other things irritating.

But as far as I'm concerned? Remembering where you stored something is not like...a fun minigame. It's just dumb bullshit. Building an intelligent AE2 system is interesting, even building something super basic like a Simple Storage Network is rewarding, because there's some give and take and planning to do.

(I don't really mind channels to be honest, but I do think the meteors are pretty dumb and anti-fun. Channels are really only a pain when you're doing enormous crazy stuff and actually at that point I do kind of enjoy the logical challenge)

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

In Sevtech im about to head to mars.

Is it just the same bullshit from here on in?

Im asking this because my base is now starting to lag. I cant even look at my tinkers tank without a restart now. And it isnt fun.

I cheated in a crystal clear lens for my envirotech, and im still 2 days + waiting on the 2nd teir crap so i can at least put speed upgrades in.

Also, Sevtech. the best advice i can give anyone starting.

Build your arc furnace as close to where you work as possible, crusher next to it.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Falcon2001 posted:

The point I was making (and really, just echoing) is that different players find different things 'bullshit' - the flip side here is that there's definitely stuff in your modpack that SOMEONE thinks is 'just an ez mode mod'.

For me, Inventory Management is just a huge pain in the rear end. I don't mind long exploration trips (like Patware mentioned disliking) if I know what I'm off to get, I don't mind working with finicky multiblocks, etc. I don't even really mind Gregtech style 'bits and bobs and pieces and parts'...as long as I'm not slowly filling up my base with millions of bullshit chests where I can't find anything. I totally see why some people would find those other things irritating.

But as far as I'm concerned? Remembering where you stored something is not like...a fun minigame. It's just dumb bullshit. Building an intelligent AE2 system is interesting, even building something super basic like a Simple Storage Network is rewarding, because there's some give and take and planning to do.

(I don't really mind channels to be honest, but I do think the meteors are pretty dumb and anti-fun. Channels are really only a pain when you're doing enormous crazy stuff and actually at that point I do kind of enjoy the logical challenge)

i did discover that rtp plugin uses the same RNG and so when you rtp you will always appear within 2 chunks of a meteor.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Patware posted:

any time the challenge is "run for an hour across the overworld" and nothing else it's something that can be casually excised

Yeah remove having to look for ore too. Also the end portal. And the water temple/dungeons.

(I'm being purposely facetious I understand you)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

There's a compass specifically for finding meteors. It takes like 15 minutes tops if you have any kind of fast travel, like a horse. Horses are good, even in modded minecraft. They have step assist and go fast.

My favorite AE2 gripe is charged certus. You need to find one in the world. Ever. Once you have one, you can make a charger and make as much as you want. I think this happens because people go straight to y-level 11 and start branch mining, when certus is almost always around 40-50.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Meskhenet posted:

Im asking this because my base is now starting to lag. I cant even look at my tinkers tank without a restart now. And it isnt fun.

Do you have any other machines in the same chunk as your tinkers stuff? There's a bug/leak/whatever that causes other machines/chests/items inside the same chunk as the controller to freak out which can eat up a ton of resources on its own.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Maybe it's because I run around a lot but it's pretty rare that I have a lack of meteors or charged certus. By the time I have the resources and power to start an AE system I usually have a handful of meteor contents from looking for a good spot to set up and at least a half stack of charged certus from walking through caves or checking ravine walls for ore. I actually like the meteor holes for the quick early coal/copper/iron that is uncovered on the surface.
In packs with mining world it's even easier to find meteors especially if the mining world is reset periodically.

What's my best option for midgame power in Exoria? I've been running off a few windmills and randomly dumping excess creosote oil into a compression dynamo but now my machines are starting to drain my capacitor too quickly.
Is the fluid transposer creosote into logs disabled? The recipe is there but I can't stick a log into the machine.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Depends posted:

What's my best option for midgame power in Exoria? I've been running off a few windmills and randomly dumping excess creosote oil into a compression dynamo but now my machines are starting to drain my capacitor too quickly.
Is the fluid transposer creosote into logs disabled? The recipe is there but I can't stick a log into the machine.

Got a lot of steel? Make an Immersive Tech multiblock turbine + alternator. It needs steam to run. Ostensibly, you're supposed to use one of its boilers to produce that steam, but there's a goofy mod interaction with Thermal Expansion -- the amount of steam the turbine/alternator needs is very, very small. This means that a single Thermal Expansion dynamo with the boiler augment can power multiple turbine/alternators. Each turbine/alternator puts out 24k RF/t. You'll need six HV connectors and two separate HV lines to carry all that power. I used a steam dynamo and fueled it with the fire crystal things that come out of sifting and from a void miner.

Be warned, though -- there's a bug with IE where all power cables will mysteriously stop working once you load the chunk from disk. I solved this by running each power line through a redstone breaker, and used an hourglass or other timer to disconnect the wire for a tick every five minutes or so.

Also, regarding logs -> creosote, I believe Thermal Expansion has an augment for the redstone furnace that turns it into a one-block coke oven.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Depends posted:

Maybe it's because I run around a lot but it's pretty rare that I have a lack of meteors or charged certus. By the time I have the resources and power to start an AE system I usually have a handful of meteor contents from looking for a good spot to set up and at least a half stack of charged certus from walking through caves or checking ravine walls for ore. I actually like the meteor holes for the quick early coal/copper/iron that is uncovered on the surface.
In packs with mining world it's even easier to find meteors especially if the mining world is reset periodically.

My problem isn't with meteors per se, it's that you have to (or at least had to, don't know if it's changed) find at a minimum of four meteors to get all the inscriber plates. It was never just 4 meteors though, cause I'd always find dupes of the plates and have to go find another one. I'll find a meteor for the sky stone and then just command myself the plates because gently caress searching for them for the 20th time.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

My favorite AE2 gripe is charged certus. You need to find one in the world. Ever. Once you have one, you can make a charger and make as much as you want. I think this happens because people go straight to y-level 11 and start branch mining, when certus is almost always around 40-50.

On one modpack I had three people caving and mining for about 10 hours before finding the first piece of charged certus. I've never had a problem before or since, but that really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Nowdays, I just cheat in a charger if I make a AE system and haven't found a charged crystal.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Or just do like a couple goon servers I've played on and crafttweaker a charged certus recipe that needs regular certus + redstone.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Also, regarding logs -> creosote, I believe Thermal Expansion has an augment for the redstone furnace that turns it into a one-block coke oven.

I'm trying to make treated wood without having to use the stupid cauldron and going through the planks>lacquered>treated. There is a recipe for the transposer to squirt the creosote directly into a log for treated planks but you can't actually insert the logs

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Depends posted:

I'm trying to make treated wood without having to use the stupid cauldron and going through the planks>lacquered>treated. There is a recipe for the transposer to squirt the creosote directly into a log for treated planks but you can't actually insert the logs

Yeah there isn't any way to avoid that. Either make them in large batches or avoid having to use them in the first place.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rynoto posted:

Do you have any other machines in the same chunk as your tinkers stuff? There's a bug/leak/whatever that causes other machines/chests/items inside the same chunk as the controller to freak out which can eat up a ton of resources on its own.

Lol of course ive got other stuff in the same chunk ><

Is there anything left in the pack though? Or is it all just waiting games?

I might try that presteging skyblock. (if i can scroll up to find what it is called.)

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Meskhenet posted:

I might try that presteging skyblock. (if i can scroll up to find what it is called.)

Sky Factory 4. Prestige is just the 'expert' mode, you don't have to do it. I'm having a blast with the pack on standard mode right now - I'm finally learning Deep Mob Learning, and there's a whole pile of mods I've never used that I have to use in it, like Simple Storage, Custom Chests, File Cabinets, etc. Also, I'm learning just how crazy you can do poo poo with Cyclic. That mod's weirdly powerful for something I've never touched before.

The Nether's super unique too, and resource trees are surprisingly fun.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meskhenet posted:

Lol of course ive got other stuff in the same chunk ><

Is there anything left in the pack though? Or is it all just waiting games?

Skip prestige mode imo, the first big difference is that you have no vein miner until you 'purchase' it with prestige points, which means you're starting a block centered around trees, with no fast leaf decay, and no way to veinmine the leaves.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Devor posted:

Skip prestige mode imo, the first big difference is that you have no vein miner until you 'purchase' it with prestige points, which means you're starting a block centered around trees, with no fast leaf decay, and no way to veinmine the leaves.

Also prestige mode means no hopping bonsais so you're stuck making a dozen regular ones for every tree and manually clicking them down and then clicking the drops into chests or drawers because each tree drops leaves, resin, acorns, wood, sticks, and saplings.

I pushed through it long enough to actually get a couple prestige points but it made me not actually enjoy restarting. Whoops!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Bonsai pots are so, so bad for performance. SF4 bases are going to be utter hellscapes of lag.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

For example: I took this on the Progress server. Guess whose base this was :v:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Devor posted:

Do note that for Skyfactory 4, the leaves are important and you want to crook the leaves, not let them naturally decay. You get a shitton more saplings and acorns which are both important for progression.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What are the SF4 leaves used for? I don't remember seeing anything in JEI.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Evil Mastermind posted:

What are the SF4 leaves used for? I don't remember seeing anything in JEI.

They can be stomped in a tub for water (it's how I got my first two buckets) and sugarcane seeds, as well as crooked for drops and some other stuff I don't remember right now. Check (U)sage for them.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

If you void those drawers properly this effect is vastly reduced.

on the other hand you probably made those cost steel so...

I'm kidding

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Bonsai pots are so, so bad for performance. SF4 bases are going to be utter hellscapes of lag.
Why though
Shouldn't they be more or less the simplest single-block machines possible? Input doesn't change, timing doesn't change, there's no fuel to keep track of... it should literally be as simple as ticking itself once every 20 seconds or so to create a drop. How on earth is this such a resource hog?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Playing SF3 I had a 5x12 grid of hopping bonsais going into hoppers and it didn't make that much lag :psyduck:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Why though
Shouldn't they be more or less the simplest single-block machines possible? Input doesn't change, timing doesn't change, there's no fuel to keep track of... it should literally be as simple as ticking itself once every 20 seconds or so to create a drop. How on earth is this such a resource hog?

I've noticed if it's a hopping bonsai and it can't output an item, it'll keep one of that item in its queue. My guess is it's trying to send that item constantly until it can.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

McFrugal posted:

I've noticed if it's a hopping bonsai and it can't output an item, it'll keep one of that item in its queue. My guess is it's trying to send that item constantly until it can.

That checks out with what I've seen. Void upgrade anything you put bonsai hoppers into.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Falcon2001 posted:

That checks out with what I've seen. Void upgrade anything you put bonsai hoppers into.

Use filing cabinets with the expectation you'll quit playing before it fills up imo

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

It's an item piping system. It apparently has Tesserats.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Well now I definitely have to fit up my base with a glass ceiling to see those guys skitter along. :3:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I hope the entities aren't too laggy. Also why are those chests like that?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 25, 2019

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

McFrugal posted:

Rendering gets hosed up at super high FOV.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ambaire posted:

Rendering gets hosed up at super high FOV.

Oh I see, those are single chests, not sideways double chests.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

This is a delight. More mods need to focus just on weird storage things.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Does it include some sort of hole-in-the-wall?

Fakeedit: hahaha yesssss

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

I am disappointed in myself that instead of reveling in the novelty and innovation of this, I also thought about the entity lag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

is there a giant rat that makes all the rules