Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
pretty cool that tfa built up this character to be the next yoda and is played by a beautiful, well-liked black actress, barely did anything in the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Taintrunner posted:

The best part is one of the guards having a clear kill-shot at Rey's back due to some coreography screw-up (happens all the time, whatever) and intentionally whiffing, then nobody calling CUT! and setting up another take. For like, a billion dollar international company with seemingly unlimited resources.

The hilarious thing is that Rey still reacts like she got stabbed

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Practically no difference between this thread and the main one atm, so here's some spoilers (link may not work, site appears to be getting a lot of traffic)

Making Star Wars posted:

The main sequence takes place between Adam Driver and Harrison Ford or Kylo Ren and Han Solo.

One source called it a surprise intervention of sorts.

A source that did not work on or see the sequence believed it takes place when Kylo Ren asks the burned Darth Vader helmet to show him the darkness again.

Luke Skywalker appears to be the twist in the encounter.

The source was paraphrasing but Han Solo tells Ben Solo it isn’t too late and the sequence has a tone of forgiveness and understanding to it.

He’s not a “force ghost” in the classic sense and he’s part of a “vision” or “dream” type moment induced by Luke Skywalker.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Equeen posted:

pretty cool that tfa built up this character to be the next yoda and is played by a beautiful, well-liked black actress, barely did anything in the sequel.

I'm glad; it's a bad character. I guess they could try to make the character good, but that sounds like a lot of work.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Cross-Section posted:

Practically no difference between this thread and the main one atm, so here's some spoilers (link may not work, site appears to be getting a lot of traffic)

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Equeen posted:

The biggest problem with tfa is that all it did was start building potentially-interesting things for the sequels without having the guts to actually do any of the interesting things itself. ESB introduced Yoda and then fully built the character within the next 30 minutes. TFA introduced Maz, gave her two short scenes, and then threw her into the pile of things for the next film to flesh out and resolve.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 22, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Maz is a lousy character because there's really nothing to resolve there. She exists to deliver exposition and a lightsaber. Yes, she puts off the question of where she got it with "A story for another time" but Rey might as well have found it on the ground.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

If the next movie doesn't reveal Maz to be dead and her bar seized by the union then I won't see it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Most pressing plot points remaining to resolve:

1. Outcome of maz kanata's labor struggle against the construction workers rebuilding her stupid bar
2. Efforts to create a bilateral arms control agreement to limit the overweening influence of nefarious galactic weapons dealers

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

If the next movie doesn't reveal Maz to be dead and her bar seized by the union then I won't see it.

Maz will step into the role left by Leia Organa Solo and will guide the Resistance through its evolution into the GRAND ARMY OF THE NEW REPUBLIC.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Kanata's Cantina is the seat of power for the most intimidating being in the galaxy. It's iconic and will be in every Star Wars movie henceforth.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

General Dog posted:

I'm glad; it's a bad character. I guess they could try to make the character good, but that sounds like a lot of work.

Yeah I saw an interview with Lupita Nyong’o and she said straight up she asked for the role because her role in 12 Years A Slave very challenging and she just wanted something extremely non-physical and simple.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Christ, there are so many talented writers. It would be totally feasible to make new compelling characters and tell great stories in the world of Star Wars, but Disney is content to just poo poo out things they know will get them a billion dollars.

I'm done - I loving love Star Wars, but I'm not buying movie tickets for this schlock.

I am upset on the internet about a movie that hasn't happened yet.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

High Lord Elbow posted:

I am upset on the internet about a movie that hasn't happened yet.

Well, at least you're honest about it.

I too love Star Wars, and will likely be seeing this opening night. Schlock or not, it's still Star Wars.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Lol they're bringing Han Solo and Luke back. loving Abrams

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
How is bringing Luke back a surprise or a problem?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Big lol if they got Harrison Ford to come back for sure. Bitch for 40 years about the character, finally get your wish to have him killed off, come crawling back at the first whiff of a paycheck :discourse:

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

Big lol if they got Harrison Ford to come back for sure. Bitch for 40 years about the character, finally get your wish to have him killed off, come crawling back at the first whiff of a paycheck :discourse:

Hey, vintage airplanes aren't cheap

Edit: and neither is paying off the owner of the golf course you crash into

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Is there any doubt that Harrison Ford likes to get drunk and crash airplanes

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I know I like to get drunk and fly airplanes (and corny as it sounds, Han Solo had something to do with me becoming a pilot). I just can't afford to do both simultaneously. And this is far from the worst thing Ford has done for a paycheck.

But they're just tossing every nostalgia turd they can fit into the punchbowl, because apparently nobody knows how to make new punch. Death Star! Palpatine! Solo! Skywalker! All together in one FINAL ROYAL RUMBLE! (and also Rose!)

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
I heard in the next one they're going to visit Jar-Jar's grave and there's a quiet echo of his voice saying "meesa poopoo" and then Rose trips into the grave and dies

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Daddy Thanos posted:

I heard in the next one they're going to visit Jar-Jar's grave and there's a quiet echo of his voice saying "meesa poopoo" and then Rose trips into the grave and dies

The LUCASFILM STORY GROUP, which is paid to keep track of continuity, would like to remind you that Disney is a family company, and poopoo is crude.

The word you're searching for is poodoo

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Daddy Thanos posted:

Is there any doubt that Harrison Ford likes to get drunk and crash airplanes

I thought his deal was weed. He was/is known as a prolific cheefer

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Daddy Thanos posted:

That guy who made the 40 minute "Why The Last Jedi Ruined Star Wars" video that keeps popping up on my Youtube is gonna be stoked.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

That guy who made the 40 minute "Why The Last Jedi Ruined Star Wars" video that keeps popping up on my Youtube is gonna be stoked.

What about the guy who made a trilogy of 2-hour videos to explain why TLJ is bad?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mooey Cow posted:

What about the guy who made a trilogy of 2-hour videos to explain why TLJ is bad?

Uuugh. Can't stand those obnoxious videos. At the very least edit that poo poo down to 30 minutes or so, and I say that as someone who dislikes tlj

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The entire industry of YouTube people making reviews that are longer than the thing they're reviewing should be eliminated by a Stalinist purge.

Dr.Radical posted:

I thought his deal was weed. He was/is known as a prolific cheefer
He owes money to Kanjiklub and the Choom Gang.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

The entire industry of YouTube people making reviews that are longer than the thing they're reviewing should be eliminated by a Stalinist purge.

He owes money to Kanjiklub and the Choom Gang.

I’m not too hot on multi-hour reviews, but I’m liking fan documentaries like:

http://filmumentaries.com/fullvideos/

I haven’t seen the Star Wars ones, but I remember the Jaws one being good.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

This seems cool, thanks, watching the Empire one now.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Halloween Jack posted:

I've clicked a few of them without looking at the run time first, and it's infuriating how overdone those are. I wish that would happen.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Doronin posted:

I've clicked a few of them without looking at the run time first, and it's infuriating how overdone those are. I wish that would happen.

The worst is letting something play out and not paying attention when Youtube autoplays the next video, which is almost always some jag off mouth breather who's going to blow your loving mind with his "analysis" and THIS will change everything you thought you knew about film, and I want to reach through the screen and smack them in the loving face.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

No Mods No Masters posted:

According to a Denny’s placemat the wook, Kyle is ~30 and Rey is 19. Even if that’s true I’m still not ok with it

Who gives a poo poo if you're "Ok with it"

Don't see the movie then you loving weirdo.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

i too love getting mad online on behalf of the walt disney company because someone is mildly weirded out about a kids movie possibly featuring a 30-year-old guy going out with a teenager

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to. Then resurrect it a few more times so you can squeeze all the juice out of that lemon possible.

Violator posted:

I’m not too hot on multi-hour reviews, but I’m liking fan documentaries like:

http://filmumentaries.com/fullvideos/

Haven't checked these out yet, but the problem with every fan documentary I've ever seen is that they just spend the whole time jerking the subject off. Like, a lot of these films deserve really interesting and in-depth documentaries made on their influences and their effects on the industry, or an examination of their thematic elements and breakdown of what makes their character moments so engaging and effective.

But in reality they just end up being a bunch of third-tier talking heads going "Isn't this movie amazing? Gosh did I love it as a kid." over and over again.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 23, 2019

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Haven't checked these out yet, but the problem with every fan documentary I've ever seen is that they just spend the whole time jerking the subject off. Like, a lot of these films deserve really interesting and in-depth documentaries made on their influenced and their effects on the industry, or an examination of their thematic elements and breakdown of what makes their character moments so engaging and effective.

But in reality they just end up being a bunch of third-tier talking heads going "Isn't this movie amazing? Gosh did I love it as a kid." over and over again.

At least in regards to the Star Wars ones, these are literally just the films themselves with archival and interview footage overlaid at the appropriate points. Kinda like an expanded cast & crew commentary track.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

cargohills posted:

i too love getting mad online on behalf of the walt disney company because someone is mildly weirded out about a kids movie possibly featuring a 30-year-old guy going out with a teenager

The power dynamic in their relationship is balanced because she's so much force stronger than him and he's on the side destined to lose

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

cargohills posted:

I'm sorry you're so neurotic. You should probably go see a psychiatrist in case it's undiagnosed aspergers.

The rest of us have not received any indication that Rey is a teenager. But even if she was and is over 18 it's completely legal. Also as someone with parents who are 9 years apart who have been happily married for 35 years, 11 years doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Feel free to continue making GBS threads up the thread about being triggered by a big nothingburger though.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Preston Waters posted:

I'm sorry you're so neurotic. You should probably go see a psychiatrist in case it's undiagnosed aspergers.

The rest of us have not received any indication that Rey is a teenager. But even if she was and is over 18 it's completely legal. Also as someone with parents who are 9 years apart who have been happily married for 35 years, 11 years doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Feel free to continue making GBS threads up the thread about being triggered by a big nothingburger though.

I agree with you but this post is really obnoxious

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Daddy Thanos posted:

I agree with you but this post is really obnoxious

There's a powerful irony in it when you behold his rap sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

There's a powerful irony in it when you behold his rap sheet.

Why does it say "lusting after teenagers" when he was talking about a woman in her twenties