Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

evilweasel posted:

if you build good cities cars start phasing themselves out because they're a pain in the rear end compared to using public transportation in a dense city. unfortunately california built san francisco and los angeles

pretty much. Portland Oregon is probably the best American example of this. super walkable city because they made driving there a pain in the rear end

someday I hope I move there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

infernal machines posted:

like, poo poo, those aren't even bhopal numbers son.

hell that one's still maiming people because of groundwater and soil contamination

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://youtu.be/tlThdr3O5Qo

that car is driving way too fast

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

obstipator posted:

Nice illegal passing on the right.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
sf isn't a car city it's a nothing city because neither cars nor transit work there

and then there's 6 million people in exurbs attached to it lol

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

My Linux Rig posted:

pretty much. Portland Oregon is probably the best American example of this. super walkable city because they made driving there a pain in the rear end

someday I hope I move there

lmao at this

if mere pain in the rear end driving made something walkable why isn't 95% of atlanta walkable

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it was also that our power generation isn't carbonless, and while EVs are better for emissions, they still can't meet climate and air quality goals because personal vehicles are super inefficient and people (are forced to) drive way too much

meaning the solutions necessarily cannot include cars: people need to have other transportation modes available to them such as walkable/bikable routes, and public transit. they concluded that californians need to drive fewer miles, regardless of vehicle fuel type

is there even any net gain on EVs if the charging comes from poo poo sources like coal? I could see transmission loss wiping it out entirely or even making it a net negative.

i get that up here in ontario where we run on clean, green nuclear it's better but im not sure ive seen stats on bad power sources.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

fishmech posted:

lmao at this

if mere pain in the rear end driving made something walkable why isn't 95% of atlanta walkable

I don’t mean pain in the rear end because of traffic, I mean a city design that actually gives a slightly higher priority to means of travel that doesn’t involve a personal vehicle

sometimes this kind of design means driving becomes a harder thing to do

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Moist von Lipwig posted:

is there even any net gain on EVs if the charging comes from poo poo sources like coal? I could see transmission loss wiping it out entirely or even making it a net negative.

i get that up here in ontario where we run on clean, green nuclear it's better but im not sure ive seen stats on bad power sources.

This is very much an issue that is being highlighted as more auto companies start proposing EVs.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

all parking allotment zoning must hang!!!!

full congestion pricing now!!!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

ArmZ posted:

all parking allotment zoning must hang!!!!

the numbers we require are insane sometimes. parking reductions are possible if a developer enters into an agreement to share facilities with a neighbor, but lol like that ever happens.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

My Linux Rig posted:

I don’t mean pain in the rear end because of traffic, I mean a city design that actually gives a slightly higher priority to means of travel that doesn’t involve a personal vehicle

sometimes this kind of design means driving becomes a harder thing to do

i really have no idea what you think you're talking about, it's got a typical small old city grid and then the rest of the city is a larger grid that's also unremarkable for 20th century expansion

it's got some half-assed tram service, minor local commuter Rail, and a bunch of buses which again is super typical.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

fishmech posted:

i really have no idea what you think you're talking about, it's got a typical small old city grid and then the rest of the city is a larger grid that's also unremarkable for 20th century expansion

it's got some half-assed tram service, minor local commuter Rail, and a bunch of buses which again is super typical.

whatever, maybe they aren’t doing anything to prioritize pedestrian traffic, I’m just saying it seems a lot easier to travel around there on foot vs driving then most places I’ve been to

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Moist von Lipwig posted:

there was a german study i linked a few pages back (which in fact kinda kicked off this whole nuclear derail) which found that with the german mix of electricity production (~50% comes from fossil fuels) a battery electric vehicle was significantly worse when it came to CO2 emissions than a modern diesel powered vehicle

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TheFluff posted:

there was a german study i linked a few pages back (which in fact kinda kicked off this whole nuclear derail) which found that with the german mix of electricity production (~50% comes from fossil fuels) a battery electric vehicle was significantly worse when it came to CO2 emissions than a modern diesel powered vehicle

Yeah, due to this, VW is actually planning to continue to produce TDIs to help Germany with 2020 goals, but they are likely to still miss it. They will largely miss it due to shuttering their nuclear plants in favor of Lignite coal.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
aren't those them emissions cheating diesels? Diesel is a fuckin environmental disaster lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

aren't those them emissions cheating diesels? Diesel is a fuckin environmental disaster lol

VW was required by German Law to fix the emissions systems, they are doing the same thing in the US, fixing the DEF system and reselling them as compliant.

Diesel isn't going anywhere anytime soon, unfortunately, even if EVs take off.

Ford, BMW, Mercedes, and others also got caught in the emissions scandal.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

fishmech posted:

granny clockin' not double PHWR bumpin' like you should be

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CommieGIR posted:

VW was required by German Law to fix the emissions systems, they are doing the same thing in the US, fixing the DEF system and reselling them as compliant.

Diesel isn't going anywhere anytime soon, unfortunately, even if EVs take off.

Ford, BMW, Mercedes, and others also got caught in the emissions scandal.

ok but americans generally aren't stupid enough to buy small diesels so it doesn't matter

Germany meanwhile is absolutely littered with diesels that pollute like American gasoline cars did 40 years ago

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

sf is anything but a car city lol and la is massively investing into building out their public transit

who cares what the handful of people who live in sf proper do, considering it's zoned to make it impossible for any serious amount of people to live there

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

ok but americans generally aren't stupid enough to buy small diesels so it doesn't matter

Germany meanwhile is absolutely littered with diesels that pollute like American gasoline cars did 40 years ago

You say that, but you are also talking to someone who bought a fixed Q7 TDI, and VW TDIs are reselling well, even post fix. VW is looking to make back some of the losses from Dieselgate from fixed TDIs, and they are not being disappointed.

https://www2.greencarreports.com/news/1112541_want-to-buy-a-used-updated-volkswagen-tdi-diesel-car-your-vw-dealer-will-get-first-dibs

I mean, VW/Audi offered a full warranty for post-fix vehicles, full powertrain. Mine came with a 49,000 mile warranty, which is about as good as buying new, but on a nearly 10 year old car with 100k miles on it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 23, 2019

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

obstipator posted:

Now do it on a road the car hasn't been trained on

I mean it look loving sweet, but there's no way in hell this is anything like representative performance

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Everyone should go back to the first few pages in this thread to remember why we're here.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

elon musk is bourgeoisie using money built on the backs of the proletariat and should be charged for putting a lovely car into space which has the possibility to explode into a bunch of loving pieces which exacerbates kessler syndrome

akadajet posted:

elon should cram himself inside of that thing and launch it into the sun

Last Chance posted:

I loving hate him so MUCH

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Lord Stimperor posted:

Now do it on a road the car hasn't been trained on

or on a snowy road

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

holy poo poo. the comments for that video. i just cringed through a wall.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

gschmidl posted:

Everyone should go back to the first few pages in this thread to remember why we're here.

i'd forgotten about the most worthless tweet ever twatted

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Roosevelt posted:

i'd forgotten about the most worthless tweet ever twatted

Wonder if the childkiller sub is still there, rusting.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Elon Musk beats women

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i still can't believe how much public transit portland has built in the ten years since i lived there, and as a former san franciscan / current new yorker i am insanely jealous at the idea of planning and building new transit on that sort of timescale instead of planning for everything to take twenty years and two hundred billion dollars and inevitably get replanned and delayed under future political leadership

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
tesla robo taxis were better when they were called johnny cabs and arnold jacked the poo poo out of them

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

rjmccall posted:

i still can't believe how much public transit portland has built in the ten years since i lived there, and as a former san franciscan / current new yorker i am insanely jealous at the idea of planning and building new transit on that sort of timescale instead of planning for everything to take twenty years and two hundred billion dollars and inevitably get replanned and delayed under future political leadership

don't forget all of the awesome problems that come along with retrofitting an area for transit because everyone was too stupid and shortsighted to see to it in the first place

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Elon Musk beats women

grahms im hoem. where's me supper? grahms??

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech posted:

sf isn't a car city it's a nothing city because neither cars nor transit work there

and then there's 6 million people in exurbs attached to it lol

sf is a motorcycle city

- roads always gridlocked with cars
- muni is slow and sucks
- bart doesn't go anywhere
- too hilly for average people to cycle
- motorcycle is king

i suppose you could also be one of those dorks on an electric unicycle or skateboard or turd scooter but if you ride a motorcycle you can still get laid.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
don't you work at a bart stop

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

so no mention of goldman dumping tesla itt yet, huh?

alright

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rex-Goliath posted:

alright

[desire to know more intensifies]

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Rex-Goliath posted:

alright

I don't see anything reported on that so you will have to tell us

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Polixenes13/status/1120665058080624640

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
lol owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'