Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

cheese posted:

Dunno how well that will work with peach trees. Remember that they flower/fruit on young branches, while apples and pears will fruit from the same spurs for many years.

Stark Bros seem to think peaches work well for espaliers, but they don’t really go into any detail on how, and I know relatively little about fruit trees. Can you elaborate?

EDIT: Oh, you mean peaches only grow on young branches and the espalier will limit the number of branches we can have.

... well poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Mammal Sauce posted:

Can anyone recommend some decent looking flowering plants that are 30-40" fully grown that will survive Indiana winters? We pulled some gross looking bushes out of the landscaping when we bought our house. They were non-flowering, prickly limbs and red/green leaves. Then, we went to Lowes and impulse bought some plants that included three hibiscus to replace the ugly shrubs we pulled out. They were really nice and flowered all summer and fall. Of course, we didn't research them and the tags didn't indicate that they wouldn't survive winter and they're dead now.

Any suggestions?

You want azaleas. Look for a variety hardy up to zone 5.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Highbush Blueberry? Flowering, Fruiting, and nice fall foliage.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Just discovered a rhubarb plant growing in my back yard! I moved in about a month ago at this point so it's been nice seeing what I have going plant-wise in the back yard.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Sweet! I have a monster one in my backyard that comes back every year that I bake with. Rhubarb is delicious

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Alrighty plant thread, I finally have a list that I think is kind of accurate. It's... lot of trees. Apologies in advance for the cursive.

Of the images I posted before, I think the little fuzzy green things are little plums, probably Santa Rosa plums, and the red things seem to be dwarf pomegranates.

My yard is definitely Thunderdome, and I don't think the myriad orchids the last owner was raising will make the cut. There are 2 of the fig trees that are in a bad spot in a planter and will definitely be mulched (they've been dropping figs on the neighbor, too), probably along with the two palms on that side.
Based on the list and how hard it is to care for the certain trees (like, what the hell did I even do for the macadamia tree??), which do you think will be the first to get the axe in my Thunderdome?

Bonus bananas

E: I'll also post more pics when I take some, the yard is just full of very nice plants, but there's absolutely no rhyme or reason to it. The guy just planted whatever wherever there was an empty square foot.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 22, 2019

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Sweet! I have a monster one in my backyard that comes back every year that I bake with. Rhubarb is delicious
My mum often makes rubarb crumble. Every single time I think, apple crumble would be so much superior...

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What is this thread’s opinion on protective tree wrap? I read somewhere that cherry trees can be susceptible to sunburn, and mine is planted in a spot that gets more than 6 hours per day of sunlight.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
So is this a thread for general yard poo poo? My yard looks like a war crime and I want to fix it up. I think I’d have more fun and be more successful if I documented it in a thread and had goons yell at me along the way. Would that be welcome here?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

I. M. Gei posted:

Stark Bros seem to think peaches work well for espaliers, but they don’t really go into any detail on how, and I know relatively little about fruit trees. Can you elaborate?

EDIT: Oh, you mean peaches only grow on young branches and the espalier will limit the number of branches we can have.

... well poo poo.

To be honest, I don't know why they would say that. Sure, you could grow it in a "fan" form or something, but stone fruit trees are just not suited for the classic espalier designs. When you see those 100 year old orchards in Europe with decorative espalier fruit trees, its pretty much all apple/pear. Stone fruit just 1) grows way too crazy fast and 2) doesn't fruit on spurs.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hubis posted:

Highbush Blueberry? Flowering, Fruiting, and nice fall foliage.

Speaking of blueberries...

I know most blueberries prefer full sun, but will they tolerate partial sun? I’m thinking about growing some container varieties on my patio, but it’s got some tree branch cover overhead and I don’t know exactly how much sunlight it gets.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

I. M. Gei posted:

Speaking of blueberries...

I know most blueberries prefer full sun, but will they tolerate partial sun? I’m thinking about growing some container varieties on my patio, but it’s got some tree branch cover overhead and I don’t know exactly how much sunlight it gets.

They'd probably prefer it in fact if you are in a hotter climate.

Dappled light is kind of hard to estimate, but my guess is 4 hours of "direct sun" is probably too little, 6 hours is probably enough, and 8+ for the most vigor.

I'm trying some Patriot dwarf blueberries in a container this year (probably a grow bag vs a SIP since I know they like good drainage) in a 6-8 hour dappled situation, so we will see how it goes...

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hubis posted:

They'd probably prefer it in fact if you are in a hotter climate.

Dappled light is kind of hard to estimate, but my guess is 4 hours of "direct sun" is probably too little, 6 hours is probably enough, and 8+ for the most vigor.

I'm trying some Patriot dwarf blueberries in a container this year (probably a grow bag vs a SIP since I know they like good drainage) in a 6-8 hour dappled situation, so we will see how it goes...

Northeast Texas zone 8B is pretty hot, yes.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

In my experience blueberries are pretty easy, especially in rich, wet soil. They like plenty of water, but they also like good drainage. If you've got good black dirt they'll be fine. They like acidic soil. And yeah, in the deep south pretty much anything will happily trade full blazing sun for some light shade (especially afternoon shade). A good thick layer of pine bark mulch is great for blueberries-acidic and keeps their roots cool and moist.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bean posted:

So is this a thread for general yard poo poo? My yard looks like a war crime and I want to fix it up. I think I’d have more fun and be more successful if I documented it in a thread and had goons yell at me along the way. Would that be welcome here?

Go for it.

Mammal Sauce posted:

Can anyone recommend some decent looking flowering plants that are 30-40" fully grown that will survive Indiana winters? We pulled some gross looking bushes out of the landscaping when we bought our house. They were non-flowering, prickly limbs and red/green leaves. Then, we went to Lowes and impulse bought some plants that included three hibiscus to replace the ugly shrubs we pulled out. They were really nice and flowered all summer and fall. Of course, we didn't research them and the tags didn't indicate that they wouldn't survive winter and they're dead now.

Any suggestions?

The old ones sound like barberries. You need to plant hardy hibiscus this far north. Otherwise, they're house plants. Look up your USDA zone map. That will tell you what will survive the winters where you live. After that, you need to account for how much sun that spot gets. In the northern hemisphere, the sun moves across the southern sky. Also keep in mind shade from trees as well as your house, or even your neighbors' houses if they're like right on the property line.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What does it mean when a young tree’s bark starts looking like white filmy transparent sunburn skin that’s peeling off?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

I. M. Gei posted:

What does it mean when a young tree’s bark starts looking like white filmy transparent sunburn skin that’s peeling off?

Its usually the last thing peach and cherry trees do before they die, why do you ask?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pics

The lighter area is the original bark, just barely kinda shedding off. It literally looks and behaves like skin peeling off from a sunburn, except there’s no visible sunburn on this tree.

What is this?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I was joking earlier but is that hose how you staked your tree down? Lol this tree might get loved to death

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I was joking earlier but is that hose how you staked your tree down? Lol this tree might get loved to death

That’s not a hose. That’s just some stuff the Vigoro tree staking kit came with.

The hose in the background is unrelated. And only used once every 3 or 4 days.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Take a deep breath and trust your tree is going to do its best. Worrying over every little detail and minute change is only gonna drive you mad. :)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Your tree is either going to be fine or it isn't, and at this point there isn't really much you can do either way. The bark you're worried about now is probably just the tree shedding a bit as it grows. Staking trees (especially small trees) is generally unnecessary unless it's very tall with a small root ball and usually does more harm than good long-term.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The bark you're worried about now is probably just the tree shedding a bit as it grows.

This is what I was thinking it was, I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t some sort of fungus I didn’t know existed or whatever.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Staking trees (especially small trees) is generally unnecessary unless it's very tall with a small root ball and usually does more harm than good long-term.

WHERE WAS THIS ADVICE BEFORE I STAKED IT??? :shepface:

Seriously though, please elaborate. There’s a good bit of slack in those ropes to allow the tree to grow, and I can let out more when I need to as it grows. What other dangers should I be aware of?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It's just usually better to let a tree bounce around a bit as that helps make the trunk and roots smaller.

https://www.finegardening.com/article/to-stake-or-not-to-stake

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It's just usually better to let a tree bounce around a bit as that helps make the trunk and roots smaller.

https://www.finegardening.com/article/to-stake-or-not-to-stake

Ah, okay that does make sense.

I staked the tree because it seemed like it moved around from side to side a little too easily when I planted it, and between that and some of the roots being slightly above ground (and the root clump being on the small side), I was worried it might get knocked over in the wind before the roots had time to develop. So my thinking was I’d just keep the tree staked until the root system had time to form and anchor it to the ground, which I figured would be a few months at most. Please feel free to critique my logic here.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Stakes are useful to help a tree get established but once it can stand on its own it needs to start developing wind resistance by being blown around.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Ya stakes are pretty overkill in most situations. Landscapers use them because they want to plant a bunch of trees, set the watering timer and then literally never deal with it again. People see those "professional trees" with a stake on either side and a mound of mulch, and then think they need to do all that for a peach tree that will grow like a weed no matter what you do.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Stakes are for 1. saplings that just don't want to grow up straight, 2. when you need to establish a lower branch as a leader if the old leader dies or 3. when you need to train a branch out away from the trunk and there is no good branch to put a brace against.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

New green bud growth on tree :toot:

EDIT: I tried to take pics but they all come out either out of focus or too far to see the buds, but they’re there and they’re new and they’re growing.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 25, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Past couple of days have had some nice weather, gotten a lot of cleaning and reorganization done on the roof as various plants have filled out. 2 of my rose bushes still haven't seemed to start showing growth yet, the 3rd new one is growing like crazy but getting worried I somehow hosed up pruning the other two.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Nephzinho posted:

Past couple of days have had some nice weather, gotten a lot of cleaning and reorganization done on the roof as various plants have filled out. 2 of my rose bushes still haven't seemed to start showing growth yet, the 3rd new one is growing like crazy but getting worried I somehow hosed up pruning the other two.

You could do the scratch test. Scratch a stem with a knife and see if it's green and wet. Brown and dry = dead. Look near the ground too. If the winter was too cold, it may resprout from the ground.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

EDIT: Moved to the Vegetable and Herb Gardening thread.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The buds on my tree are straight up blooming. It’s hard to tell whether they’re blooming flowers or leaves, but they’re blooming something green and I’m happy.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The two sunflower seeds I planted last weekend have just started to peek through the soil. Now it's a race to the death for one to avoid being the weaker one that's going to be pulled.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

The two sunflower seeds I planted last weekend have just started to peek through the soil. Now it's a race to the death for one to avoid being the weaker one that's going to be pulled.
Why pull one? Let em both live!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

cheese posted:

Why pull one? Let em both live!
They're too close together for two strong plants (as in a couple of centimetres). It was probably unnecessary given their reliable germination, but I was hedging my bets. I can always try to transplant the weaker of the two.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 27, 2019

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Despite the rabbits' best efforts and the bitterly cold winter, all three of our grapevines came back real strong this spring. If you like reading words about plants, I wrote up a blog post about year 2 of my Minnesota grape growing effort with photos of each vine.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ColdPie posted:

Despite the rabbits' best efforts and the bitterly cold winter, all three of our grapevines came back real strong this spring. If you like reading words about plants, I wrote up a blog post about year 2 of my Minnesota grape growing effort with photos of each vine.

Nice! I'm working on some vines myself. Ours were planted probably a little too late last year, early summer in NC, but they seem to be doing okay growing back in the new season. But as usual we've already forgotten what varieties we bought because of parent brain. I know we've got Muscadine, Niagara, and one other, but I don't remember which is which.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

babby’s first leaves :D

I also put some more slack in the stake ropes and covered my above-ground roots with a few trowelfuls of soil. In about four and a half weeks I’m gonna remove the stakes entirely.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Any recommendation for some flowers that would grow well on an East facing balcony? Something that won't mind only ~4-6 hours of direct sun a day.