Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Plan Z posted:

"You know where the Dingdong building is?"
"No, I'll just get it on my phone GPS."
"Well, you take the 340 west to 980 south then
"I don't know the highway numbers out that way. I've got it on my phone, I memorized the route too."
"Nah it's easy you just go west out the parking lot..."

Lmao I had a boss that was exactly this

"Do you know how to get there?"
"I've got address I'll just use my phone"
"Well you're going to get on the 101 south and .... *20 steps later* then it will be on your left behind what the old so cal Edison building back in the 70s"
"Yeah, I'm going to use my phone"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Luxrage posted:

It was brought up previously in the thread about having one immaculate room that's never used full of older furniture.

A friend of my mom's had a room in the front of their house dubbed The Precious Moments Room. It was a white carpeted, white furniture'd, white walled room with glass display cases full of Precious Moments Figurines. For anyone unaware, this is what those look like:

The room was behind a pair of french doors I never once saw opened. The house was a ranch but had a finished basement that was Chicago Cubs themed. We would go over there for parties because they always had a ton of food and they were nice. I'll at least give them the finished basement man cave since it was actually used for things.

Although the one non-boomer note was that they had a kid my age and whenever we'd go over they'd want me to play with him. He'd put on two player co-op games and not let me play so he could control both characters himself :thumbsup:

lol i was gonna post these figurines last night but i spent a while on google trying to figure out what they were called and kept finding incredibly creepy stuff so i gave up

thanks

Manuel
Sep 11, 2001

unpaid internships

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Nooner posted:

Lmao I had a boss that was exactly this

"Do you know how to get there?"
"I've got address I'll just use my phone"
"Well you're going to get on the 101 south and .... *20 steps later* then it will be on your left behind what the old so cal Edison building back in the 70s"
"Yeah, I'm going to use my phone"

i cannot get my father to understand that as long as you have a cell phone and a credit card, you aren't stranded.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Luxrage posted:

Although the one non-boomer note was that they had a kid my age and whenever we'd go over they'd want me to play with him. He'd put on two player co-op games and not let me play so he could control both characters himself :thumbsup:

For some reason this feels like the bizarro-version of that goon in the Bloodborne thread who was shocked that people found any of the bosses hard and bragged that he and his friend beat the game by each working half of one controller. Also that figurine with the dead child knight is kind of fun to think about.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 23, 2019

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Boomers like making their grandkids call them bingbong, mima, glamma, or anything besides grandma or grandpa, because boomers hate being reminded of their own mortality, or even the fact that they're aging.

killer crane fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 24, 2019

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Boomers love to gently caress without condoms and start STD epidemics in old folks homes

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Kunabomber posted:

Boomers love to gently caress without condoms and start STD epidemics in old folks homes

thats just dementia/alzheimers so, don't worry, you'll do it too.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

My FIL’s pride and joy was/is being familiar with roads. His “hobby” is getting in the car with my MIL and just driving. They’ll drive to a city, then drive back hime a different way to see how much longer it takes and the road conditions and the things you can see. Up until a few years ago he used to be able to offer driving advice to anyone, using decades of experience... but now everyone has a phone and only needs a name or address.

I think it really upsets him that all that knowledge is basically useless now. He’ll often point out that people only take the fastest, most direct routes now and they miss out on all kinds of sights on the scenic routes... but I feel like that is a desperate criticism that is pretty lame.

tbf some familiarity with how the larger arteries connect is really good if you live somewhere that regularly confuses the GPS, though that's not everywhere

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Probably mentioned at least 10 times already but it bears repeating.

Cracker. loving. Barrel.

Both the mediocre restaurant and the attached gift shop are 100% pure, concentrated industrial-grade laser focused Boomer Energy. It's almost a caricature of itself, each franchise a miniature disneyland powered by nostalgia for a time and place that never existed. When the last Cracker Barrel closes and the company folds, you will know the Boomers are truly gone.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 24, 2019

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Manuel posted:

unpaid internships

boot. straps.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Complaining about how kids these days never go outside and instead only spend time with their phones.
Spending the entirety of literally every family occasion on their phone, after complaining thst their kids should come by more often.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Online poker

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Diaphragms. Does anyone younger than 60 still use them?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lol My dad sat me and my Mom down when I was in 10th grade (early 00s) and gave this big speech about the economy and how his job (airport firefighter) may be in jeopardy because his boss said, etc. etc. etc. and we had to really stop spending. Never mind that mom and I never bought anything lavish.

Two weeks later he pulls in the driveway with a new goddamn goat.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Believing the guy on the phone when he says their youngest grandson has been arrested in *different state* and to bail him out you need to buy $1000 of iTunes gift cards then call a different number back.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

shame on an IGA posted:

Two weeks later he pulls in the driveway with a new goddamn goat.

It's one goat, what can it cost, $10?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

Boomer Likes:
- Large highways everywhere
- Receiving tax-funded things
- The military
- Property values being very high
- Creating the idea of participation trophies
- Medicare
- Their kids visiting
- Expressing their opinion loudly
- Having their children/grandchildren fix their computer or mobile device.

Boomer Dislikes:
- Highways being near them
- Taxes existing
- Their kids joining the military
- Millennials avoiding houses because of very high property values
- Their kids receiving participation trophies
- Taxes paying for healthcare
- Respecting anything about their kids thoughts/lives while they are visiting
- Anyone expressing opposing opinions
- Their children/granchildren ruining their computer or mobile device when they worked on it eight months ago.

An incredibly wise man in another thread pointed out that participation trophies were invented to clear a path for the real ones to be even more shamelessly handed out in accordance with small town politics without starting riots.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The Dregs posted:

The lady across the street asked my kids to please not blow on dandelions because it might infect her lawn.

Correct response is to pick up a dandelion, lock eyes, and blow on it

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Dandilion seed heads are intensely flammable hope this helps op

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would assume every goon was on the poo poo soccer team because were goons not retired athletes.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Millennials should stop being such lovely soccer players that they profess to be The Next Thing, get a real cool trophy along the way.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I know an american dude who was good enough at soccer to get picked up to bounce around some lesser euro leagues until he decided to get a real job because be started to lose feeling in his shins. Thats about the best a goon realisitically could shoot for.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Boomers like having 900,000 apps on their phone, and not using any of them, and complaining about not being able to find apps but refusing to delete any of their apps. The concept of searching for an app by typing into the search function is space science, and blows their mind every time they see it.

They also hate ads, but refuse to spend $0.99 on an ad-free better version of an app they use everyday. My dad has a solitaire app that makes him watch a 30 second video each time he starts over. I gave him $5 to buy a real solitaire app since he plays it compulsively, and he refused to switch to the ad-free, better version of Solitaire.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

jokes posted:

Boomers like having 900,000 apps on their phone, and not using any of them, and complaining about not being able to find apps but refusing to delete any of their apps. The concept of searching for an app by typing into the search function is space science, and blows their mind every time they see it.

They also hate ads, but refuse to spend $0.99 on an ad-free better version of an app they use everyday. My dad has a solitaire app that makes him watch a 30 second video each time he starts over. I gave him $5 to buy a real solitaire app since he plays it compulsively, and he refused to switch to the ad-free, better version of Solitaire.

“Shady internet wanting my cc#”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Can you even get a decent card game selection on PC easily these days? I feel my dad might like to mix things up from Solitaire and Freecell, he did enjoy playing Poker Night at the Inventory and won all the items for me.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Burt Sexual posted:

“Shady internet wanting my cc#”

Immediately spills all his info on realDonaldTrumpMerch.ru

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

redgubbinz posted:

When the last Cracker Barrel closes and the company folds, you will know the Boomers are truly gone.

Speaking of I'll be really happy when Time and similar print magazines fold

even after decades of fellating the boomers and convincing them that the 50-70s were the apex of culture, i predict that near their end they'll do a Worst Generation Ever issue. once media is convinced their money train is gone the retrospectives are gonna be really funny

Barudak
May 7, 2007

redgubbinz posted:

Probably mentioned at least 10 times already but it bears repeating.

Cracker. loving. Barrel.

Both the mediocre restaurant and the attached gift shop are 100% pure, concentrated industrial-grade laser focused Boomer Energy. It's almost a caricature of itself, each franchise a miniature disneyland powered by nostalgia for a time and place that never existed. When the last Cracker Barrel closes and the company folds, you will know the Boomers are truly gone.

Next time you are forced to be in one please make sure you read the plaque at the front door they are legally required to display because they were that loving racist they lost in court.

SteampunkCylon
Mar 24, 2019
Mandating that children be taught cursive handwriting. And Incandescent light bulbs. Or cursive handwriting taught by the soft warm glow of a forty watt incandescent bulb.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Manuel posted:

unpaid internships

also getting 7 offers from major companies upon graduation due to the benefit of being white and a man

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barudak posted:

Next time you are forced to be in one please make sure you read the plaque at the front door they are legally required to display because they were that loving racist they lost in court.

When the heck was Cracker Barrel ever racist to people? Their food is p tasty dude. I think it was that time Denny’s refused to seat black people that your thinking about. That poo poo was all in the news.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Barudak posted:

drat.
https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/companies/2004-05-07-cracker-barrel_x.htm

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Chief McHeath posted:

Believing the guy on the phone when he says their youngest grandson has been arrested in *different state* and to bail him out you need to buy $1000 of iTunes gift cards then call a different number back.

"What the hell dad, you only have a single granddaughter."
"Well maybe if you did things right in the sack I'd have a grandson!"

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

When the heck was Cracker Barrel ever racist to people? Their food is p tasty dude. I think it was that time Denny’s refused to seat black people that your thinking about. That poo poo was all in the news.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cracker-barrel-segregation/

WHAT’S TRUE: In 2004, the Justice Department “announced the filing and settlement” of a racial discrimination lawsuit against Cracker Barrel after they found evidence of discriminatory practices based on race “in approximately 50 different Cracker Barrel restaurants in seven states.”

WHAT’S FALSE: Cracker Barrel “officially” segregated black patrons from white patrons until 2004, the company lost (rather than settled) a lawsuit over segregation practices.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Boomers absolutely LOVE forbidding their children from watching the simpsons because the characters use disgusting language like "sucks" then spending 20 years descending into a permanent meltdown about how they were never Desperate To Invent Reasons To Try To Be Offended About Everything like their children are

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i wanna be in the black section of cracker barrel, the right section probably wears a lot of fishing themed shirts

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
not understanding how inflation works

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Big Word posted:

Boomers absolutely LOVE forbidding their children from watching the simpsons because the characters use disgusting language like "sucks" then spending 20 years descending into a permanent meltdown about how they were never Desperate To Invent Reasons To Try To Be Offended About Everything like their children are

They didnt invent anything, Satan is real!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RosemaryCuba
Jun 30, 2018

President, Sewer-Mutant Republic
Dismantling manufacturing, taking enough bribes to fund a small country, creating selective monopolies, and crashing the housing market twice, all in one generation :cool: