Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

As Nero Danced posted:

Question, to see if I understand Captain Marvel's role correctly: Does she pull a Poochie in the first 10 minutes? "I must go, other planets need me" and then comes back in the last 10 minutes of the movie to get a participant trophy?

I think she says something to the effect of "I'm a pretty big deal, policing the entire universe and poo poo. Now that I'm here, let's go take down Thanos, I got this." And then she proceeds to get knocked out by the power stone I think, resulting in Tony believing he has to use the gauntlet himself. I wonder what the original plan was. If Captain Marvel was the one to use the gauntlet, but fucks it up, just lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

It's just so strange to me. Like, if you're going to write her out of the movie, do it in a way that might give the audience a bit of a shock. She'd come back at the end of the film anyway!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
No, seriously, where the hell is Hulk? Is he just not in Endgame at all?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

No, seriously, where the hell is Hulk? Is he just not in Endgame at all?

He undoes the snap to bring everyone back, but it fucks up his arm really bad.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

teagone posted:

He undoes the snap to bring everyone back, but it fucks up his arm really bad.

To add to this, he's professor Hulk, but either the fusion of Banner and Hulk's minds is uninteresting or it happens offscreen because everything I've seen says "five years have passed, he's professor Hulk now" without explaining how the hell that happened.

e:vv that's a bummer.

Got the feeling I might say that about a lot of this one.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 24, 2019

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
It's the latter.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

leaks are real lmao

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

teagone posted:

Yeah, I don't think the Russo's really gave a poo poo about how their time travel component worked in Endgame at all. They were gunning for the easiest ways to manipulate audience emotions to get the biggest impact, regardless of whatever consequences or paradoxes happen as a result.

There aren’t really any paradoxes per se. It’s just incredibly dumb.

Here’s the entire plot of the 3-hour film: Thanos is tracked down and killed in the first 10 minutes. They build a Sliders machine and pillage five new stones from an alternate universe. Stark and Black Widow died during the pillage, but all the dust people are back now.

Literally nothing else happens in the main timeline.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Has anyone mentioned the post credits scene(s) or the Stan Lee cameo?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Spalec posted:

I haven't heard of either actually. my own theory is that every Stan Lee cameo was Steve Rogers watching over the timeline after going back to Peggy, while wearing a convincing mask.

e: I still like mine better, silly as it is.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 24, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Spalec posted:

No post credits scene apparently. Stan Lee cameo is a younger version of himself driving past Cap and Stark in the 1970s when they time travelled back to the SHIELD base in Winter Soldier to get the tesseract.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Reviews are out. It's the 'best Marvel movie ever,' I cried my eyes out, I want to name my child Rocket Raccoon, etc. etc.

Based on the plot spoilers I'm somewhat surprised.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Shneak posted:

Reviews are out. It's the 'best Marvel movie ever,' I cried my eyes out, I want to name my child Rocket Raccoon, etc. etc.

disney has a sword of damocles hanging over every critic's head especially after the fox buy

plus they were already bad at their jobs, with one or two exceptions

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Shneak posted:

Based on the plot spoilers I'm somewhat surprised.

Imagine if you had just read an outline of Infinity War. It wouldn't sound great or make sense, but IF ended up being one of the best superhero movies of the decade.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Thor emptily murders you and a doppelganger walks in your shoes, OP

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Mameluke posted:

Thor emptily murders you and a doppelganger walks in your shoes, OP

I doubt that's true but if Thanos actually does die permanently I'll never post again after the movie's release

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Daddy Thanos posted:

I doubt that's true but if Thanos actually does die permanently I'll never post again after the movie's release

Toxx this please

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Daddy Thanos posted:

Imagine if you had just read an outline of Infinity War. It wouldn't sound great or make sense, but IF ended up being one of the best superhero movies of the decade.

What does IF stand for I wouldn’t mind seeing it if it’s so good

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Daddy Thanos posted:

It’s already out, waiguo ren

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

DeimosRising posted:

What does IF stand for I wouldn’t mind seeing it if it’s so good

He means Netflix’s Iron Fist, obviously.

... It’s not very good, though.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The Unnamed One posted:

"What if 'Arrow' but somehow cheaper looking and worse?"

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

The Unnamed One posted:

On the upside, in comparison to that, Endgame doesn't sound too bad now.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Daddy Thanos posted:

Dies twice my dude. Thor decals him, Tony dusts a past version of him.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Daddy Thanos posted:

:wave:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Daddy Thanos posted:

he does. fun while it lasted!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Daddy Thanos posted:

I'll miss you, account that's been here almost a full calendar month

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Chris James 2 posted:

I'll miss you, account that's been here almost a full calendar month

Best light-gimmick account in forever.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Subverted expectations:

The heroes can’t save the world, but you can be drat sure they don’t avenge it either.

Maybe the real avengers endgame was the friends we remade along the way.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Maybe I'm reading all these spoilers wrong but am I correct in assuming That they say they bring back the snapped heroes and it's five years later, but these unsnapped people are back from their point of view like they never left (and I'm assuming all the ordinary people in the galaxy got unsnapped as well, because JESUS CHRIST if not), doesn't that mean that all the returned people are five years younger than their friends. Like Spider-Man is now five years behind all the people in his class who didn't turn to dust?

Seems pretty hosed up if so

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I grew up reading Marvel comics, I was introduced to them by my dad. I have a significant level of nostalgia and love of the characters and that likely colours why I like the movies so much. To me it's incredible that these movies are getting made, they're exactly what I wanted when I was reading the comics as a kid. Every attempt prior to Iron Man seemed to be ashamed of it's source material, excising anything that was too silly, colourful, fun or otherwise interesting in favour of cheap blandness. A few movies got part of the way there, Donner's Superman, Burton's Batman and 1/3 of the X-Men movies (yikes) in particular but there was that ever-present shamefulness of being inspired by a comic book that held them back from being definitive versions of those stories and characters. Not that I think everything Marvel Studios has produced has been perfect, but the quality level has been pretty ridiculously high overall considering the track record of most comic book movies released prior.

The time travel stuff is fine. They set up the rules, they can travel back and snatch the stones but have to put them back afterwards, and can't gently caress things up too much or the fabric of the universe falls apart and all that. It's hard to grasp due to the rushed pace, though as far as I figure it seems to stick with them. All time travel plotlines have these problems, doesn't stop the long list of time travel movies namedropped by Lang from also being a list of my most of my favourite movies. Time travel is fun, it's probably the most comic book poo poo there is, I'm completely ok with it being used as a plot device.

Steve Rogers not going after Hydra or for Bucky after travelling backwards in time to live his life with Peggy I guess might seem out of character, but is also kinda easy to rationalize. It'd tear him up inside, but he's cheated enough and the alternative is the possibility of half the universe getting murdered again or worse.

I enjoyed it, though It felt really rushed at times. There aren't plotholes so much as gaps in time where the movie assumes you can figure out what happened based on context and prior knowledge, it's taken to somewhat of an extreme and would end up incomprehensible to people coming in blind. It makes me think that maybe it might have worked better as a really expensive miniseries on Disney+, which is probably the direction they're going to go in eventually.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 24, 2019

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

garycoleisgod posted:

Maybe I'm reading all these spoilers wrong but am I correct in assuming That they say they bring back the snapped heroes and it's five years later, but these unsnapped people are back from their point of view like they never left (and I'm assuming all the ordinary people in the galaxy got unsnapped as well, because JESUS CHRIST if not), doesn't that mean that all the returned people are five years younger than their friends. Like Spider-Man is now five years behind all the people in his class who didn't turn to dust?

Seems pretty hosed up if so

That's my understanding as well. The implications of this are pretty bad honestly. Imagine the chaos following the snap- it's essentially 5 years into Mad Max world, then everyone pops back in, without knowing where they went. That's just makes the universe even more messed up.

E:

SCheeseman posted:

I enjoyed it, though It felt really rushed at times. There aren't plotholes so much as gaps in time where the movie assumes you can figure out what happened based on context and prior knowledge, it's taken to somewhat of an extreme and would end up incomprehensible to people coming in blind. It makes me think that maybe it might have worked better as a really expensive miniseries on Disney+, which is probably the direction they're going to go in eventually.

Is Professor Hulk one of those gaps? From what I read he basically says "I sorted that out years ago, I'm fine now, don't worry about it." after the five year gap without explaining how he did it.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 24, 2019

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.
Aight, I just want to know. Is their a “Everyone” scene or a “Avengers..Assemble scene”?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Spam Musubi posted:

Aight, I just want to know. Is their a “Everyone” scene or a “Avengers..Assemble scene”?

Both.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If they actually follow through with the people getting revived 5 years into the hell world thing, then phase 4 might be interesting if they deal with those ramifications. But otoh we already have a Spider-Man trailer where he appears to be on a class trip with the same friends who are definitely not 5 years older, so I'm guessing Dr Strange sends them through time portals or some poo poo in order to make the phase 4 universe nice and tidy and generic.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

As Nero Danced posted:

That's my understanding as well. The implications of this are pretty bad honestly. Imagine the chaos following the snap- it's essentially 5 years into Mad Max world, then everyone pops back in, without knowing where they went. That's just makes the universe even more messed up.

Is Professor Hulk one of those gaps? From what I read he basically says "I sorted that out years ago, I'm fine now, don't worry about it." after the five year gap without explaining how he did it.

It's explained as him managing to find an equilibrium, it's not handwaved and is touched upon a little but the exposition is pretty brief. Though that along with Stark's daughter help establish that a lot has changed over those 5 years, some of it for good, there are things that people don't want to give up and not reversing those things was a condition of Stark's help in developing the time travel tech. Bringing everyone back as opposed to messing with their own timeline makes sense in that context, even if the universe they return to is in a bit of a mess.

DrNutt posted:

If they actually follow through with the people getting revived 5 years into the hell world thing, then phase 4 might be interesting if they deal with those ramifications. But otoh we already have a Spider-Man trailer where he appears to be on a class trip with the same friends who are definitely not 5 years older, so I'm guessing Dr Strange sends them through time portals or some poo poo in order to make the phase 4 universe nice and tidy and generic.

When they're revived, everyone comes back in the same state they were in when they left. This means that they are actually 5 years younger than everyone else, it's unavoidably going to come up.

Also, it was half of all life, animals like birds were shown as being affected. The ramifications of that would be really interesting to explore.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 24, 2019

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://twitter.com/ErikDavis/status/1120550726072262658

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SCheeseman posted:

When they're revived, everyone comes back in the same state they were in when they left. This means that they are actually 5 years younger than everyone else, it's unavoidably going to come up.

Well that's clearly not the case in the Far From Home trailer sooooo, it's getting fixed somehow.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it's cool that studios don't even have to make up fictitious people to give their movies fawning reviews now

an army of david mannings

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

DrNutt posted:

Well that's clearly not the case in the Far From Home trailer sooooo, it's getting fixed somehow.

Roughly half his classmates disappeared, it's never made clear who does so everyone in Far From Home that are also in the first movie may have been a part of that half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SCheeseman posted:

Roughly half his classmates disappeared, it's never made clear who does so everyone in Far From Home that are also in the first movie may have been a part of that half.

I applaud your optimism if you think this is going to be meaningfully addressed by Far From Home or any subsequent MCU films, but I am extremely skeptical about the prospects of that.