Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Exodee posted:

The huge version of the multi-cannon is unique in that it doesn't have a spin-up time. What's probably happening is that your Anaconda's "nose" is getting in the way of the huge hardpoint's firing arc; you've got to aim a little bit more upwards than usual.

They may not have a spinup time but they do have a significant warm-up after deploying hard points before they're usable. I run two on my vette so I've absolutely been left waiting a few seconds if I try to deploy hard points with a left mouse click. If I'm expecting a fight I typically smash the U key immediately upon dropping from cruise so that by the time I'm lined up to attack they're ready to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Worst part about huge MCs is their anemic fire sound. You go from the great brrrrt of larges to this puff puff puff. I’d love to get a meatier BOOM out of that gun.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Has anyone used a new fsd module yet? Is it pretty much autopilot combined with a docking computer? I'm not able to play for days so just wondering.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Worst part about huge MCs is their anemic fire sound. You go from the great brrrrt of larges to this puff puff puff. I’d love to get a meatier BOOM out of that gun.

I have class 2 and 3 multis on my Challenger, and once the 2's run out of ammo, I can barely tell that the 3 is firing. poo poo's way too quiet.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Inspector Hound posted:

How/where are you grinding? I'm ready to burn myself out, I've even pledged allegiance to the punk rock federation lady.

In the Borr area. I'm just running cargo missions and the odd "Kill Pirate Lord so-and-so." I don't expect it to be quick, but I am just looking for the +4 and +5 rep missions.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I have to agree. I have two house-sized gatling guns mounted directly behind the cockpit, I want to feel that poo poo in my bones when they're firing.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Rapacity posted:

Has anyone used a new fsd module yet? Is it pretty much autopilot combined with a docking computer? I'm not able to play for days so just wondering.

Supercruise assist you have to enable it once you have a target selected from the Nav panel and line up. Once you arrive it drops you out of warp

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Moral_Hazard posted:

In the Borr area. I'm just running cargo missions and the odd "Kill Pirate Lord so-and-so." I don't expect it to be quick, but I am just looking for the +4 and +5 rep missions.

Let me save you hours and hours...

Visit here first
station evacuation walkthrough

Then visit here for locations thargoids: where to find them and how to help

I went from 0 rank to Corvette in 7-8 hours of play time following this.

I took all the +++ rep rewards to speed it up but if you don't you'll make 10k a head so 1.5 million in 10 minutes doing straight passengers

TipsyMcStagger fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 24, 2019

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Exodee posted:

The huge version of the multi-cannon is unique in that it doesn't have a spin-up time. What's probably happening is that your Anaconda's "nose" is getting in the way of the huge hardpoint's firing arc; you've got to aim a little bit more upwards than usual.

Edit: Which does make the hardpoint suck a bit of course. Last time I've flown an Anaconda I just filled as many slots with Pacifiers as I could. Who cares about firing arcs if you can just throw lead everywhere. :v:

That's probably what is going on.. I mean it seems natural to have the target in your immediate view when fighting instead of nosing up and shooting down without being able to see them. Are the Corvette hardpoints better? I might sell this thing actually and switch.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I appreciate that they added a keybinding for the galaxy map to return to the current system.

I am also glad that the freebie size 1 optional slot allows any equipment that'll fit, not just docking computers and supercruise assist. But they can pry my vectored boost speed docking maneuvers from my cold, dead hands. Because it is very cold in space, you see.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

There's a bug right now where module priorities are getting randomly reset to 1 some of the times I enter or exit an instance. And I'm flying an unengineered Vulture right now. I found this out when I got interdicted, deployed hardpoints, and immediately shut down.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

FebrezeNinja posted:

There's a bug right now where module priorities are getting randomly reset to 1 some of the times I enter or exit an instance. And I'm flying an unengineered Vulture right now. I found this out when I got interdicted, deployed hardpoints, and immediately shut down.

drat, that's annoying :lol:.

Man, the Vulture benefited so goddamn much from power plant engineering.

Lorthdon
Feb 20, 2006
For those looking to upgrade their controller set up, just do what I did. Order the full Thrustmaster TH16000M Flight Pack, have Amazon lose the package and refund your money and then have them deliver it anyways two days later. :stare:

All I have to do now is get all those buttons mapped to my tastes.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Picked this up again on a whim, followed a rags to riches guide and within a few hours I'm already well into my first few hundred million credits. Void Opals own.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Thundarr posted:

I have to agree. I have two house-sized gatling guns mounted directly behind the cockpit, I want to feel that poo poo in my bones when they're firing.

It depends on the positioning of the guns as compared to the cockpit, and sadly the fCorvette is so freaking big that even with their relative positioning, there's a lot of ship between you and the guns.

I agree, though, I'd like that thing to be a lot more noisy when it spins up.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Lorthdon posted:

For those looking to upgrade their controller set up, just do what I did. Order the full Thrustmaster TH16000M Flight Pack, have Amazon lose the package and refund your money and then have them deliver it anyways two days later. :stare:

All I have to do now is get all those buttons mapped to my tastes.

Confirming this is a good buy.

Also get a TrackIR so you can really get into it for a poor man's VR and this also frees up a lot of keybinds from hat switches.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

get the $50 walmart VR and SIT IN THE SHIP :catdrugs:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
was playing this in vr last night and the mamba has a dope cockpit

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Another new Isinona video. Now with fighting above Felicity Farseer’s planet and trying to lose a ship inside a canyon. Pretty good overall.

https://youtu.be/Hw9tNfH4-5Y

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Dang that’s two in quick succession! Isinona is one of the few YouTube folks that I’m actually excited to see new stuff from.

E: gently caress YEAH isinona in my favorite ship

Sixto Lezcano fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 25, 2019

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I haven't played this game since July 2015 but with Isinona making content again I all of a sudden want to play. I am utterly overwhelmed by the amount of stuff Horizons looks to have added. Is there a good sort of "welcome back, here's what you missed and how to get up to speed" guide out there somewhere?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I agree that this is pretty cool. Here's the URL to get some of them...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VR-Tek-Windows-VR-Glasses-FHD-Resolution-2560x1440-Black/56206937?selected=true

There's three models, one is currently $20, one $30, one $50. The more expensive ones are slightly newer and better I think. A friend of mine has the $30 one. I've got a Rift, so I tried his out to see how it compares.

The field of view is smaller, and so is the overall resolution, and the head tracking isn't as good, but I think the screen is actually a little crisper than the Rift with less screen door effect. And no sensors to set up. Overall not bad for what he paid, worth it to try out some cheap VR, imo.

The Rift head tracking is way better, though. Plus Rift has 6 degrees of freedom, while these cheap ones have 3. Still, for the price, and if you're able to put up with them being slightly janky, it seems like a cool entry level VR that lets you sit in your spaceship.

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 25, 2019

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

I haven't played this game since July 2015 but with Isinona making content again I all of a sudden want to play. I am utterly overwhelmed by the amount of stuff Horizons looks to have added. Is there a good sort of "welcome back, here's what you missed and how to get up to speed" guide out there somewhere?

Serious suggestion: Clear your save and start over.

The new player experience, as of literally this week, includes a starter zone only for new players. It's a good time to restart if you're coming back after so long. There are still functions that will require review of the in-game videos and Codex, but they are working to make the game less obtuse. The tutorials are also much better, though the Advanced Combat tutorial, while worth doing to learn about kill warrant scanners, is hard as poo poo and fine to skip if you die during it.

If you last played pre-engineering (before Horizons), then about the only thing you lose by restarting is cash, which is many times easier to get now then it was 4 years ago. Like, killing an Adder with a bounty is often worth like 20k, killing a large ship earns 50-200K, modest exploration trips in Haulers earn millions, mining is ridiculously profitable once you can afford at least a Cobra, etc., so you'll earn back whatever cash you previously had in short order.

About the only way I wouldn't recommend restarting is if you had a decently high Federation or Imperial rank (you owned a Federal Assault Ship, Imperial Clipper, etc.), since those are still a grind. If you're unsure what those are, then they didn't apply to you.

Shine fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 25, 2019

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

HJE-Cobra posted:

I agree that this is pretty cool. Here's the URL to get some of them...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VR-Tek-Windows-VR-Glasses-FHD-Resolution-2560x1440-Black/56206937?selected=true

There's three models, one is currently $20, one $30, one $50. The more expensive ones are slightly newer and better I think. A friend of mine has the $30 one. I've got a Rift, so I tried his out to see how it compares.

The field of view is smaller, and so is the overall resolution, and the head tracking isn't as good, but I think the screen is actually a little crisper than the Rift with less screen door effect. And no sensors to set up. Overall not bad for what he paid, worth it to try out some cheap VR, imo.

The Rift head tracking is way better, though. Plus Rift has 6 degrees of freedom, while these cheap ones have 3. Still, for the price, and if you're able to put up with them being slightly janky, it seems like a cool entry level VR that lets you sit in your spaceship.

There’s...there’s no way this would work with the Xbox is there? Just still so loving jaded the Xbox one x can’t do VR.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Trying to use silent running through this asteroid belt, but my Type-10 is dummy thicc and the clanging of her limpets keeps attracting pirates.

...I misread someone saying THMC (Terraformable high metal content) in chat and my brain just organically sprouted a loving meme.

So far I'm liking the new slot, managed to fit a limpet on Gula (For hatch breakers or just collectors if I want to scoop mats after a fight) and free up a size 3 slot on Patientia. Haven't had a chance to try out the new modules, I've just been swapping ships and filling slots.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Blind Rasputin posted:

There’s...there’s no way this would work with the Xbox is there? Just still so loving jaded the Xbox one x can’t do VR.

Zero chance.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Blind Rasputin posted:

PC/Windows only, sorry friendo

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Shine posted:

The new player experience, as of literally this week, includes a starter zone only for new players. It's a good time to restart if you're coming back after so long. There are still functions that will require review of the in-game videos and Codex, but they are working to make the game less obtuse. The tutorials are also much better, though the Advanced Combat tutorial, while worth doing to learn about kill warrant scanners, is hard as poo poo and fine to skip if you die during it.

If you last played pre-engineering (before Horizons), then about the only thing you lose by restarting is cash, which is many times easier to get now then it was 4 years ago. Like, killing an Adder with a bounty is often worth like 20k, killing a large ship earns 50-200K, modest exploration trips in Haulers earn millions, mining is ridiculously profitable once you can afford at least a Cobra, etc., so you'll earn back whatever cash you previously had in short order.

About the only way I wouldn't recommend restarting is if you had a decently high Federation or Imperial rank (you owned a Federal Assault Ship, Imperial Clipper, etc.), since those are still a grind. If you're unsure what those are, then they didn't apply to you.

Yeah, the last time I played was before engineering so I'll definitely be starting from scratch. Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it!

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Jumping back into the game after a few months, and I have to say I really like the newbie area they've built. It's a very chill experience, and it does a LOT to help me make sense of the new menus and other things they've added.

Just bought a brand new Viper, and have used it for some bounty hunting. I've kept my pulse lasers (just upgraded) and added a seeker missile rack. God, I love the combat in this game - it scratches an itch I haven't scratched since X-Wing and TIE-Fighter came out back in the 90's.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Do you all have any tips for playing flight assist off with a controller? It is like having your brain reversed. I have been practicing trying to get it with the x,y,z movement on one stick and pitch and yaw on another, acceleration on the Rb/Lb but it’s hilarious how hard it is just to fly straight. I’m wondering if FA off is a HOTAS only sort of thing.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Blind Rasputin posted:

Do you all have any tips for playing flight assist off with a controller? It is like having your brain reversed. I have been practicing trying to get it with the x,y,z movement on one stick and pitch and yaw on another, acceleration on the Rb/Lb but it’s hilarious how hard it is just to fly straight. I’m wondering if FA off is a HOTAS only sort of thing.

In my experience the best way to do it with a controller is to toggle FA off for your Xtreme maneuvers to get the better position, then turn it back on to stabilize while you shoot, and just repeat ad nauseum until whatever you're shooting at is dead.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Shine posted:

[...]

I'd consider doing this, even redoing my Fed and empire ranks... but years ago I ended up with the bug that gave non-elite ranked pilots a founders world permit. And the thought of going back to searching station after station to fit a ship makes me shudder.

I don't even really care about the discount, I just like being able to find everything in one place.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Are the servers down? I cannot seem to log in - if I launch it from Steam the launcher comes up mostly blank and clicking login and typing in my email and password and clicking the login button does literally nothing, and starting from Oculus it either throws an error before starting the launcher about an invalid time or starts the normal launcher and if I put my email and password in it throws up a GATEWAY INVALID error message.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Seems to be down.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

And it came back just in time for me to go to work :argh:

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I've been tempted by these stupid things every time the price goes down to the the :wtf: zone. I'd pretty much only be using it for Elite, but it's cheap enough to be tempting. I'm a KB/M player, though, and I wonder how disjointed that feels.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Tsed posted:

I've been tempted by these stupid things every time the price goes down to the the :wtf: zone. I'd pretty much only be using it for Elite, but it's cheap enough to be tempting. I'm a KB/M player, though, and I wonder how disjointed that feels.

From what I've heard, kb&m + VR is pretty much unplayable since you can't see what keys you're pressing.

The t16000 hotas is pretty cheap and I'm really liking it. I would def recommend.

That VR headset looks tempting but it sets off my "too good to be true" alarms.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I found my T-Flight HOTAS X so now I have to configure this, hopefully it's like riding a bike. Any other peripherals highly recommended? Track IR is on my shopping list; what's the consensus on VoiceAttack? I love the idea of it, but execution makes all of the difference.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

NeurosisHead posted:

I found my T-Flight HOTAS X so now I have to configure this, hopefully it's like riding a bike. Any other peripherals highly recommended? Track IR is on my shopping list; what's the consensus on VoiceAttack? I love the idea of it, but execution makes all of the difference.

Don't support TrackIR. They are a poo poo company wrt IP trolling. These days there are alternatives like edtracker or facetracknoir. You can build your own headtracker for really cheap.

Honestly though, if you already have a hotas, then you should get a VR headset. The Rift is great and you can find them used for less than $200; maybe cheaper in a few months when other headsets hit the market and people dump their old ones. AFAIK some of the cheaper (not the walmart $30) 'windows vr' or whatever it's called headsets are supposed to be pretty good for seated VR, so you may want to look into one of those for a cheaper alternative.

Just don't get a TrackIR. If you pay the $150 or whatever insane price they are asking you may as well just buy a VR headset.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

The t16000 hotas is pretty cheap and I'm really liking it. I would def recommend.

It is really great for the price. For Elite I recommend adding a throttle detent, especially if you use a VR headset. That way you can feel the neutral position instead of having to look.

https://imgur.com/a/odKVB (not my album)

Also check out the bottom of that imgur album. You can swap the HATs to make them way more comfortable. They're kind of annoying to swap but it's worth it.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I built my edtracker for £20, it works flawlessly and in many ways it's better than the more expensive IR trackers anyway (practically zero latency, no issues with lighting, no issues with positioning).

The only thing the IR trackers do that it can't is track translational motion. That has some niche uses but it's hardly a killer feature imo.

If you can't (or can't be arsed) soldering, the pre built ones are a tad more expensive though.