Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

big nipples big life posted:

I like the pawns way better than most randoms I meet in MMOs, they are also typically more competent.

They also give actual helpful advice and don't back sass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I never know if I'm supposed to bring a healer or a damage dealer as my main pawn. I usually get a gulf of like 5 levels before I replace pawns which makes me think I don't want them to be damage dealers but I rarely see others' pawns bring heal, which is important for avoiding blowing all my bucks on herbs and poo poo.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Leal posted:

They also give actual helpful advice and don't back sass.

Its the difference between playing a game with adults that act like idiots and special needs children. With other MMO players its like you are a grown rear end adult, stop being this dumb. With playing with the AI from a game made in 2012 its more like Aww, keep trying trying buddy!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
When the cut off for Quina quest again? I want to go to the castle so I can get my infinite ferry stone and goodies, but don't want to do the forest search for her just yet.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

MorgaineDax posted:

I still laugh at the pawn I rented who warned me "take care you aren't soaked in water!" before immediately falling off a dock and drowning.

Ugh! Drenched!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rirse posted:

When the cut off for Quina quest again? I want to go to the castle so I can get my infinite ferry stone and goodies, but don't want to do the forest search for her just yet.

On my first playthrough I got shut out of it after finishing the quest under the Pawn guild, the Everfall I think?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

Pawns and their ridiculous bullshit are easily the funniest part of the game.
this I can understand :v: not even minutes after Rook joined me he did this (sound)
https://twitter.com/YourComputerSA/status/1120683950282698752

completely unrelated: I assume there's a fast travel in this game considering the distances - when do you gain access to it? I just reached the capital (and found out how to switch my vocation to Warrior, which I'm very excited to try out!)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Your Computer posted:

completely unrelated: I assume there's a fast travel in this game considering the distances - when do you gain access to it? I just reached the capital (and found out how to switch my vocation to Warrior, which I'm very excited to try out!)

Go to the inn and pull your Eternal Ferrystone out of storage.

The way fast travel works is you can use a Ferrystone to teleport to Gran Soren or Cassardis at any time other than from Bitterblack. There are also five (iirc?) Portcrystals in the world that, if you pick them up and then use them, become a portable fast travel node where you put them down, in addition to the default two. The first one is in the bottom of the next plot dungeon you'll do but you should probably sidequest before you enter there.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Caphi posted:

Go to the inn and pull your Eternal Ferrystone out of storage.
wow, they just keep putting stuff in there and not telling me huh? :v: Thanks!

e: that reminds me, I noticed that almost everything I pick up spoils. Does it spoil if I chuck it into the storage too, or is that the secret? I know I can put stuff in airtight jars to keep it from spoiling, but so far I think I've found like... 3. I'm just hoarding absolutely everything I come across, is there a good rule of thumb for what to keep, what to sell and what to put in storage?

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 24, 2019

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Shove everything in the Materials tab into storage. You use them to upgrade your armour and weapons and you don't need them on your character when you go to the blacksmith to do it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It will not spoil in storage so just hoard spoilables there and take them out to combine when you need to

Airtight jars are too heavy to be worth it.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

So in trying to pull together a rag tag team of Pawns it seems like the only top rated Pawns that aren’t max level are fully twinked (?) out with BBI or similar gear. Should I avoid using these or does Pawn gear not make too much of a difference?

Searching random level appropriate Pawns takes a while for my OCD.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Iverron posted:

So in trying to pull together a rag tag team of Pawns it seems like the only top rated Pawns that aren’t max level are fully twinked (?) out with BBI or similar gear. Should I avoid using these or does Pawn gear not make too much of a difference?

Searching random level appropriate Pawns takes a while for my OCD.

Managing pawns was one of the reasons I never made much progress on the PS3. The other major reason was me having to play on a tiny television that was far away from my couch. I think having this as a portable hand would be a game changer for me.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Managing pawns was one of the reasons I never made much progress on the PS3. The other major reason was me having to play on a tiny television that was far away from my couch. I think having this as a portable hand would be a game changer for me.

Yeah it’s a bit of a pain and I get that finding others monstrosities / waifus and RC is the point but I really wish I could make an entire army of Pawns myself.

Right now I’m just trying to get a favorite list together to pull from.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

MorgaineDax posted:

Shove everything in the Materials tab into storage. You use them to upgrade your armour and weapons and you don't need them on your character when you go to the blacksmith to do it.

This is good to know because I feel like I spent too much time goofing around in my inventory last time I played this. Then again I was playing a Strider so there were some crafting materials worth keeping on-hand for arrows and the like.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Iverron posted:

Yeah it's a bit of a pain and I get that finding others monstrosities / waifus and RC is the point but I really wish I could make an entire army of Pawns myself.

yeah, I had never hired any pawns other than the main pawn so I didn't even think about how it works. You don't get to control anything about them, do you? Are they just a snapshot of what someone uploaded and you have no influence over them, or are you supposed to level, equip them, etc.? I tried looking for pawns to find a ranger like I mentioned earlier, but I could only find like 4 that were my level and they were all trash. I hired one and their voice completely changed as soon as they were summoned, chatting away in that awful pitch shifted voice :( As far as I can tell you can only use the chair to tell your main pawn to shut up too and not the hired pawns?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Your Computer posted:

yeah, I had never hired any pawns other than the main pawn so I didn't even think about how it works. You don't get to control anything about them, do you? Are they just a snapshot of what someone uploaded and you have no influence over them, or are you supposed to level, equip them, etc.? I tried looking for pawns to find a ranger like I mentioned earlier, but I could only find like 4 that were my level and they were all trash. I hired one and their voice completely changed as soon as they were summoned, chatting away in that awful pitch shifted voice :( As far as I can tell you can only use the chair to tell your main pawn to shut up too and not the hired pawns?

Yeah Pawns are just a snapshot of someone else's upload. They don't level with you or anything, and any gear you equip them with will get sent back as a gift to their creator (the other stuff in their inventory is dumped into yours when you release or dismiss them)

Just find some you like and switch em out every few levels.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Here is a big pro tip for all the newcomers: Do not loot during fights, do not tell your pawn to come to you or help during fights, do not constantly sprint and run out of stamina, requiring your pawn to come over to give you an asspat. do not spam the "go" command.

This will cause your pawn to pick up the guardian, acquisition and pioneer traits. These make your pawn stand so close to you that they don't bother going out to fight other enemies, will actively ignore fights to gently caress off to a corner and pick up a mushroom, and to keep ahead of the entire group which is a waste of an inclination slot, respectively. These inclinations suck. When you go to hire other pawns, check their inclinations and ignore those who have these.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i just played this for the first time the end of last year and i never had any trouble finding good pawns, but maybe the switch needs time to catch up to the remarkable number of shreks found in the pc version

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I wonder if anyone ever remade the two Monster Factory creations from Dragon Dogma?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

Yeah Pawns are just a snapshot of someone else's upload. They don't level with you or anything, and any gear you equip them with will get sent back as a gift to their creator (the other stuff in their inventory is dumped into yours when you release or dismiss them)

Just find some you like and switch em out every few levels.
ah, so they're basically disposable huh? that's a shame and honestly makes me want to use them even less :( I'll keep visiting the rift and favorite any who stand out though, hopefully that means I'll have some available if I start needing them

Leal posted:

When you go to hire other pawns, check their inclinations and ignore those who have these.
thanks, I'll keep that in mind when picking!

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Guardian/Nexus are generally crap but pioneer and acquisition are underrated imo. I find kleptomaniac pawns helpful to make sure I'm hoovering up all of the available crafting materials, and I haven't found it significantly detrimental to combat performance. Pioneer I've found helpful to keep my melee pawn engaged with enemies while I'm attacking from long range or otherwise multitasking during combat.

If anything I've found scather to be the trap inclination because it always caused my fighter pawn to favor grappling and climbing things instead of just annihilating them with Dragon's Maw.

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.
I couldn't stand the pawns at all. I have played through this game twice without any pawns and to me it's way more fun just running around by myself. After you make your first pawn you can just immediately throw it off a cliff and you will never see them again if you don't go back to the rift.

I get that pawns are a big factor and appeal for people in this game, but I was able to enjoy the world a whole lot better without the pawns constantly talking at me the whole time.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I've summoned Bea Arthur, goblins should fear me

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is there a difference between the PC and the ps4/xbone versions?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Unlucky7 posted:

Is there a difference between the PC and the ps4/xbone versions?

Mods and the game runs better on high end PCs. Theres still quite a lot of pop in and slowdown on PS4/Xbone

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Pawns are a little too chatty IMO but I like having them around because it makes the game feel like the real-time D&D game I've always secretly wanted, with the generic Western fantasy monsters and the elaborate number of skills available during combat.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
do Warriors ever get a gap closer? I was excited to try this class but after playing with it for a couple of quests I'm not sure I'm feeling it. A lot of enemies like wolves (they hunt in packs!) are really hard to hit with the incredibly slow attacks and all of the abilities I've gotten seem very situational (throw an enemy high into the air because ???) There's a lot of plodding around, winding up an attack, whiffing, plodding around some more. Also are they just supposed to facetank everything? I've yet to fight anything that actually poses a threat, but it feels weird to not have any mobility or (active) defense whatsoever.

also how are Mystic Knights? Spellblade type characters are some of my fantasy favorites, does it play like that (self-buffing and stuff) or is it more of a paladin?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Your Computer posted:

do Warriors ever get a gap closer? I was excited to try this class but after playing with it for a couple of quests I'm not sure I'm feeling it. A lot of enemies like wolves (they hunt in packs!) are really hard to hit with the incredibly slow attacks and all of the abilities I've gotten seem very situational (throw an enemy high into the air because ???) There's a lot of plodding around, winding up an attack, whiffing, plodding around some more. Also are they just supposed to facetank everything? I've yet to fight anything that actually poses a threat, but it feels weird to not have any mobility or (active) defense whatsoever.

The trick is to jumpslash at things a lot. They do get a move where they charge forward eventually.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
IIRC they get that charge move but its not really fast enough for me to consider it a "gap closer"

They were made a lot better in the online game because they get a defensive move (basically just an animation where they facetank a bit and build up rage which they can expend to poo poo damage) and you can equip the same number of active skills whether your class uses a two handed weapon or not

Some people swear by mystic knights but i did not enjoy what i tried of them, but i didnt get the vocation to max level which is i think particularly important for that one.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Mystic Knights are for people who love cinematic timed blocks, and luckily those people is me.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Your Computer posted:

https://dragonsdogma.fandom.com/wiki/Savage_Lunge

The idea is to bum-rush everything, take the hits and kill the mobs or time a perfect charged up attack to kill a monster in one hit.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Shoehead posted:

I've summoned Bea Arthur, goblins should fear me

Thank you for renting my pawn

Fei Fong Wong and Bea Arthur, name a more classic duo

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Caphi posted:

Mystic Knights are for people who love cinematic timed blocks, and luckily those people is me.
are the timed blocks in this game anything like parries in other games? because I'm very fond of parrying! I tried it earlier in the game when I was a Fighter though, and I couldn't get it to work.

ajkalan posted:

Thank you for renting my pawn
that was your doing? I saw her as well! :haw:

BexGu posted:

https://dragonsdogma.fandom.com/wiki/Savage_Lunge

The idea is to bum-rush everything, take the hits and kill the mobs or time a perfect charged up attack to kill a monster in one hit.
looking at that clip, the windup is so big that wouldn't it be faster to just sprint over to the enemy? I was hoping the class played like you say but it feels hard to bum-rush when all you can do is walk around. I was hoping it would have something like blink strike (which was easily my most used move as a Fighter)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the joy of warrior is charging up huge, gently caress-off strikes that shave multiple health bars off of an enemy

or having a warrior pawn and watching it very slowly scoot up to a sleeping troll while charging said strike and experiencing the joy second-hand as it gets utterly obliterated without even being conscious of your presence

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

are the timed blocks in this game anything like parries in other games? because I'm very fond of parrying! I tried it earlier in the game when I was a Fighter though, and I couldn't get it to work.

It's almost exactly like a Dark Souls parry. All you have to is block right before they hit you.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Perfect blocking is a core skill though, and it's separate for both shields and magic shields. That threw me for a bit the last time I came back to the game.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Your Computer posted:

looking at that clip, the windup is so big that wouldn't it be faster to just sprint over to the enemy? I was hoping the class played like you say but it feels hard to bum-rush when all you can do is walk around. I was hoping it would have something like blink strike (which was easily my most used move as a Fighter)

The whole point of Warrior is to be Guts from Berserk (And its a shame the US never got to see the Berserk armors in game). I personally didn't like that class that much but I can see the appeal.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
It bothers me that there's a version of DD without one of my pawns on it, but I don't know if I have the patience to gold dragonforge or whatever a bunch of endgame BBI gear again

BexGu posted:

The whole point of Warrior is to be Guts from Berserk (And its a shame the US never got to see the Berserk armors in game). I personally didn't like that class that much but I can see the appeal.

We got it in the first release for PS3/360 :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

warrior ends up being one of the worst vocations as it's utterly unequipped for all the hardest fights in the game. no ranged attack combined with not being able to block or roll, a very nerfed Fun stat with only 3 skill slots instead of 6, and weirdly not much actual improved damage output in melee range compared to other classes means it's shafted where it counts. basically a hardmode class choice. However it unlocks some great augments and it's totally fine for much of the main game, so I suggest ranking warrior to 9 while it's still cool and fun.