Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jackhunter64 posted:

Agreed, it does feel a little weird. I know it's literally 'Web pages being shown in a web view', but other social apps like Twitter are also that with no pinch-zooming. An option to turn it off would be cool. Other than that, thanks for continuing to be the unironic best way to read this dead forum.

Since I think it's only really needed for images, maybe pinch to zoom could only work on the image, and zoom it out "over" the posts? Would that I were fluent enough to make a quick mockup of what I mean!

Tapping and pressing generally feels weird to me in the app lately. I routinely have to tap spoilers or ... buttons or the user header or links multiple times for it to "take", and long presses are also inconsistent at least on links. Long-press to select text feels responsive. I don't know what to do with this information, but I'll set a debug build going so I can instrument some timings or whatever, when I get a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Mr. Fix It posted:

It's pretty much all images, tho on occasion I can long press and get it to behave properly. I have no idea what is different between my presses, so I can't reproduce the proper behavior.

Having the same issue on Awful 3.55, iPhone 7, latest version of iOS. Haven’t been able to figure out why it works on occasion, but looks like another post below this one might have identified it.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Thanks for the iOS 9 fix! All's good here.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I’m not sure why you would need an option to turn pinch to zoom off. Just don’t pinch? It seems nigh on impossible to accidentally zoom since the double tap doesn’t do it.

It’s super nice for zooming in on the tiny avatars and images in posts, and I’ve never once accidentally zoomed.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

spanky the dolphin posted:

On the latest beta, getting this look on the OLED theme coming into this thread (already viewed)

The bottom bar interchanges between black and grey sort of randomly.

Also I am unable to long press images and quoted images to full screen them.

e: when the bottom bar is grey the previous posts, scroll to end button area is blue / non OLED too

I think this is the more general "theming is hosed when restoring state" issue, and not specific to the OLED theme. I'ma +1 that issue.

Mr. Fix It posted:

It's pretty much all images, tho on occasion I can long press and get it to behave properly. I have no idea what is different between my presses, so I can't reproduce the proper behavior.

Working on it, should be fixed next version. Sorry about that.

Grace Baiting posted:

The in-thread "Scale Text" quick setting doesn't work quite right. The first time you hit the minus or plus button after opening the quick Settings popover, it always sets you to either 90% or 110% respectively, regardless of what it actually was before. So if you e.g. open quick settings, tap "+" for Scale Text, and close quick settings, and then repeat ad infinitum, your Scale Text will stay at 110% forever.   #terriblefate

Messing around with the Scale Text setting seems to sometimes restore my ability to long-press a link to preview or copy its URL. Pinching-to-zoom seems to sometimes disable my long presses.

Alternatively maybe I just can't long-press to any effect on posts that have quoted images? Not sure currently.

[e: see next post for more/better info -- long-press problems now appear to me to be unrelated to the Scale Text quick setting.]

This was a dumb lil fuckup on my part, and it'll be fixed in the next version. Thanks for catching that!

quote:

Request: when you long-press on a forums emoticon, add an option to open the emoticon in the image viewer like any other image? I like seeing the name of the smilie in the popup menu, but some smilies are half invisible on the dark theme, and the image viewer sheet put them on a white background.

Great idea! It'll be in the next version as well.

jackhunter64 posted:

Agreed, it does feel a little weird. I know it's literally 'Web pages being shown in a web view', but other social apps like Twitter are also that with no pinch-zooming. An option to turn it off would be cool. Other than that, thanks for continuing to be the unironic best way to read this dead forum.

I don't think Twitter is actually using a web view to render tweets on iOS. Could be wrong.

Do you find yourself zooming by accident? I don't mind adding a setting if people find it annoying.

Subjunctive posted:

Since I think it's only really needed for images, maybe pinch to zoom could only work on the image, and zoom it out "over" the posts? Would that I were fluent enough to make a quick mockup of what I mean!

I kinda like it for text too. Sometimes I just wanna zoom in bit without futzing with the Scale Text setting. But you're right, I think it's most useful for images.

quote:

Tapping and pressing generally feels weird to me in the app lately. I routinely have to tap spoilers or ... buttons or the user header or links multiple times for it to "take", and long presses are also inconsistent at least on links. Long-press to select text feels responsive. I don't know what to do with this information, but I'll set a debug build going so I can instrument some timings or whatever, when I get a chance.

I think this'll be fixed in the next version.

handle posted:

Thanks for the iOS 9 fix! All's good here.

:toot: thanks for following up!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

pokeyman posted:

Do you find yourself zooming by accident? I don't mind adding a setting if people find it annoying.

I have on occasion and wouldn’t mind a setting for it. But if it’s too difficult I can certainly deal with it. :)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
hey thanks my crashing is all fixed and you rock OP :3:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

pokeyman posted:

I've zoomed in a few times by accident now, by double-tapping on an element that doesn't fill the whole width of the page. Specifically on the date+timestamp at the bottom of a post, on the "•••" in the other bottom corner, and on a quoted paragraph. This is a little annoying but not terrible, and I wouldn't turn off zooming if it were a setting -- although I would also prefer those elements not be double-tap-zoomable, too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Grace Baiting posted:

I've zoomed in a few times by accident now, by double-tapping on an element that doesn't fill the whole width of the page. Specifically on the date+timestamp at the bottom of a post, on the "•••" in the other bottom corner, and on a quoted paragraph.

That’s interesting. I get it with the ... menu, but not the date stamp or quoted paras, on my iPad with latest beta. Agree that it would be good to suppress it for the menu and datestamp, if not turning off double-tap zoom entirely.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

pokeyman posted:

I have occasionally, from accidental double-tapping with wobbly fingers. For me, it 'feels' wrong when content/apps/whatever designed for locked vertical scrolling suddenly let you slide around from side to side. For example, this article has a photo wider than the body text, causing the page to allow sliding around instead of being locked to the text width.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Pokeyman, just wanted to give another thank you for all of your hard work on this app. I know it's the one I use the most on my phone and I bet when you're so deep in bug fixing you're not thinking about how much we love it, so we do. Keep on brother!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

I kinda like it for text too. Sometimes I just wanna zoom in bit without futzing with the Scale Text setting. But you're right, I think it's most useful for images.

I just hold my phone closer to my face for text, because I’m old.

Thanks for all the fixes. You’re crushing it!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Subjunctive posted:

That’s interesting. I get it with the ... menu, but not the date stamp or quoted paras, on my iPad with latest beta. Agree that it would be good to suppress it for the menu and datestamp, if not turning off double-tap zoom entirely.

I get a minuscule zoom on the timestamp on my phone; I've never used Awful.app on an iPad.

Re: fwd: re: quotes, I think what I was actually describing is that double-tapping a quote while you're already zoomed in does not zoom you all the way out, so you can still scroll horizontally by a small amount. I don't think I get zoomed IN from regular zoom level by double-tapping on a quote, so this part of my comment above can be safely ignored. Looks like I do get slightly zoomed in when double-tapping on a nested quote:

outer posted:

doesn't zoom

inner posted:

does zoom!
...although that's obviously not a common occurrence.

New minor issue! If you have some tag nested at some level inside another tag of the same type, the [/..] button loses track of which tag it should be closing, and will happily re-close a cycle of tags forever. For example, at this point in my post, I have nested quote tags which are both properly closed, but the [/..] button is still active, and will insert as many [/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote] closers and I feel like pressing. If you have sub bold sub italics sub, the [/..] button will get stuck in a loop of [/sub][/i][/sub][/i][/sub][/i][/sub]... and never actually make it to closing the bold tag or the outer sub tag.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Awesome app everyone!
Bug report:
iOS 12.2, newest Awful, started this week.
A lot of images don't respond to tapping or long presses. I quoted a post and it was a [timg] so maybe imgur is blocking functionality with JS? I got one image to respond and it was the kind that opens a popup.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Analytic Engine posted:

Awesome app everyone!
Bug report:
A lot of images don't respond to tapping or long presses. I quoted a post and it was a [timg] so maybe imgur is blocking functionality with JS? I got one image to respond and it was the kind that opens a popup.

[timg] shouldn't be running imgur JS, since it just fetches the image asset directly. Can you link to the post that opened a popup?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Analytic Engine posted:

Awesome app everyone!
Bug report:

I am also unable to open timg's (for example, the quoted image from Mr Fixit earlier in this thread, all I could do would be try to zoom in on it) by clicking or anything, it seems. If I hold it, I can drag it around, but not do anything meaningful with it.

Using latest non-beta from AppStore on a 2018 iPad Pro 11 with new OLED theme.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Thought I’d fixed long pressing in the update that just went out, but maybe not. Will try again tonight!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

This is repeatable: If the first post has an image it will pop up on a click. Every other image on the page is unresponsive.

Example:
First post
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3769444&perpage=40&pagenumber=602#post493424556
Later post
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3769444&perpage=40&pagenumber=602#post493436369

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

3.56 appears to fix image long-pressing for me. Thanks!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Mr. Fix It posted:

3.56 appears to fix image long-pressing for me. Thanks!

Thanks everyone, unbelievable turnaround for software development (if you're stuck in Agile). I can finally download my precious Simpsons memes and cat pics again!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sorry for all the long-press fuckery. I think I figured it out: something changed in iOS 12 and I finally noticed. Next version should sort it out for realz.

IllegallySober posted:

I have on occasion and wouldn’t mind a setting for it. But if it’s too difficult I can certainly deal with it. :)

others posted:

great feedback

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

TraderStav posted:

Pokeyman, just wanted to give another thank you for all of your hard work on this app. I know it's the one I use the most on my phone and I bet when you're so deep in bug fixing you're not thinking about how much we love it, so we do. Keep on brother!

Thanks! Now if I can just stop breaking things we'll be all set.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Appreciate the quick fix on long-pressing images; it’s working for me now. Echoing others’ sentiments that this is one of my most-used apps and I appreciate the work that goes into it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ty for the work dude :)

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Trevor Hale posted:

Same thing here. Can’t longpress an image in order to download it.

Running 3.56, iOS 12.3 (Beta 2 and 3). Still having the issue with downloading images.

Burn Zone fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 25, 2019

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

Yes just piling on thanks for the great app and rapid turnaround!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Grace Baiting posted:

New minor issue! If you have some tag nested at some level inside another tag of the same type, the [/..] button loses track of which tag it should be closing, and will happily re-close a cycle of tags forever. For example, at this point in my post, I have nested quote tags which are both properly closed, but the [/..] button is still active, and will insert as many
[/quote][/quote][/quote] closers and I feel like pressing. If you have sub bold sub italics sub, the [/..] button will get stuck in a loop of [/sub][/i][/sub][/i][/sub][/i][/sub]... and never actually make it to closing the bold tag or the outer sub tag.
[/quote]

Forgot to reply to this: I’ll take a look!

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Burn Zone posted:

Running 3.56, iOS 12.3 (Beta 2 and 3). Still having the issue with downloading images.

Just updated to 3.56. Sometimes a long press works, some time a force press works (but I don’t get the haptic feedback that I’m force pressing, I’m just squeezing the poo poo out of my phone)

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Awful 3.56 on iPad Pro 11, with an image in a quote so timg'd I guess. Long-press once brings up a menu. If I click "Open in Awful" it opens the thread again with the image expanded but all the posts marked "read" (which by the way looks odd with the gradient in OLED dark but whatever). If I then hit the back arrow to go back to where I was, I can no longer long-press on the image. I do seem to be able to long-press later thumbnailed images, though.

It's strange that "Open in awful" opens the thread again with it expanded, though.

It would also be nice if I could short press (tap) the image and it would just expand out to full size - usually that's what I want to do either to see it again or because someone was quoting another thread and I haven't seen it the first time. I rarely want to do the things that a long-press would enable, I just want it normal size.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Hey guys is there a way to save posted images on this new version that can zoom in? Kinda messed up

E: seems like the post above me is complaining about the same, but long press doesn’t even bring up a menu for me

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Try updating? There's an even newer, even more fixed version!
3.57, ios 12.2:
Long hold will open images in the separate image view, even quoted ones (which I assume are timg'd, but I can't tell, since I don't think the app shows the timg'd border. No menus, 3d touch does precisely nothing.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Thanks for updating the long press for images, pokey.

Related to this - one thing that still acts weird is long pressing an (already loaded and playing) animated gif will seemingly reload the gif from scratch in the image view, or at least it seems that way. I've actually found myself zooming on quoted gifs to bypass this quirk.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Thanks. The update fixed my problem.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Today's release seems better indeed! Thanks! I still wouldn't object to a shorter press expanding out a timg though.

Edit clicking links is really finicky and I seem to need to tap them like 5 times in varying places before it'll open

ssb fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 26, 2019

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

Awful 3.56 on iPad Pro 11, with an image in a quote so timg'd I guess. Long-press once brings up a menu. If I click "Open in Awful" it opens the thread again with the image expanded but all the posts marked "read" (which by the way looks odd with the gradient in OLED dark but whatever). If I then hit the back arrow to go back to where I was, I can no longer long-press on the image. I do seem to be able to long-press later thumbnailed images, though.

It's strange that "Open in awful" opens the thread again with it expanded, though.

I think the image must also be a link, otherwise you wouldn't get the menu on long-press. And it sounds like the link goes to the thread itself, since "Open in Awful" was offered (so it's a link Awful can handle) and it took you somewhere in the same thread. I'd be happy to take a look if you could link me a post where you're seeing this happen.

quote:

It would also be nice if I could short press (tap) the image and it would just expand out to full size - usually that's what I want to do either to see it again or because someone was quoting another thread and I haven't seen it the first time. I rarely want to do the things that a long-press would enable, I just want it normal size.

That's fair enough.

spanky the dolphin posted:

Thanks for updating the long press for images, pokey.

Related to this - one thing that still acts weird is long pressing an (already loaded and playing) animated gif will seemingly reload the gif from scratch in the image view, or at least it seems that way. I've actually found myself zooming on quoted gifs to bypass this quirk.

I'll +1 this on the list. You are correct, it does currently reload from scratch, and it sucks.

shortspecialbus posted:

Edit clicking links is really finicky and I seem to need to tap them like 5 times in varying places before it'll open

This happens to me to once in a while and I still don't know what's going on. Someday I'll figure it out.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

This version (3.57) posted:

• Actually fix long-pressing in posts for real!
hellz yeah, long-pressing seems to be fixed for me now, thanxx!!

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'd really like an option to paste a url with img tags, similar to the video one. flow would be

1. Tap textview for context menu
2. Tap [img]
3. Tap Paste, adding the image link surrounded by img tags

Pokeyman/other maintainers, what do you think? I could probably get in there and add it myself this weekend and maybe fix the erroneously-space-prefixed url paste bug too

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Regular Nintendo posted:

I'd really like an option to paste a url with img tags, similar to the video one. flow would be

1. Tap textview for context menu
2. Tap [img]
3. Tap Paste, adding the image link surrounded by img tags

Pokeyman/other maintainers, what do you think? I could probably get in there and add it myself this weekend and maybe fix the erroneously-space-prefixed url paste bug too

Sounds awesome to me! Sorry in advance for the menu code. Lemme know if I can help.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pokeyman posted:

Sounds awesome to me! Sorry in advance for the menu code. Lemme know if I can help.

Uh oh

E: actually if you could point me to the class(es) where this stuff is handled it'd be a nice start

stuffed crust punk fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 26, 2019

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Regular Nintendo posted:

Uh oh

E: actually if you could point me to the class(es) where this stuff is handled it'd be a nice start

Right around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Dumb question but I can’t figure it out: can I remove a forum from the forums list? I do not want to ever see FYAD.