Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

I did that for a while, then I was unemployed and cashed them in so I could eat.

millenial.txt

Sorry about how my peers have hosed nearly everything up (last-year boomer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

dee eight posted:

Can I be my own individual generation? Like an outlier or weird hybrid or something?
The d8 generation. The venn diagram is just a dot.

Because I sure as hell don't fit the description of boomer as illuminated by this thread.

Nah don't worry dude there's a minority of cool, chill boomers who can talk about anything without having to constantly fact check trivial things on wikipedia, while getting blazed and listening to XTC.

Shout out to my dad...

If 80% of boomers died instantly the world would be a better place though.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
My signature use to be legible until I bought two houses, a car, and was executor of my father's estate in the span of two years. You have no loving idea how many things I had to sign for all that so now all you can really make out if the initials.

Cracker Barrel used to be legit good but has totally gone down hill. Bob Evans is just as bad and you can buy the same boil in bag crap they use at the stores.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Things boomers do not like: aging gracefully; dying

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bonzo posted:

My signature use to be legible until I bought two houses, a car, and was executor of my father's estate in the span of two years. You have no loving idea how many things I had to sign for all that so now all you can really make out if the initials.

Cracker Barrel used to be legit good but has totally gone down hill. Bob Evans is just as bad and you can buy the same boil in bag crap they use at the stores.

My parents only eat at the following restaurants: Cracker Barrel, The Outback, and Little Caesar's. My dad will seriously rave about how amazing Little Caesar's is at the drop of a hat.

Speaking of, boomers love explaining things you already know about and ignore you when you try to explain that you've heard it already

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

my dad hits a lot of the Boomer Bingo spaces mentioned in this thread

- online correspondence filled with triple commas like "hey,,, just my opinion,,, but"
- doesn't like being called "grandpa" and actually said this to my sister and her 2 year old: "don't call me that, i'm not old"
- collects coins and inexplicably assumes i do too. one time a couple years ago he gave me a map with all the state quarters on it. i used them for laundry
- loves chain restaurants

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Boomers love to find white ooze spurting out of a crack in the ground, and they love scooping up the ooze in their hands, eating the ooze, and after thinking about it for a moment remarking "it's pretty good!" then they scoop up more ooze and shove it in their mouths

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Bonaventure posted:

Boomers love to find white ooze spurting out of a crack in the ground, and they love scooping up the ooze in their hands, eating the ooze, and after thinking about it for a moment remarking "it's pretty good!" then they scoop up more ooze and shove it in their mouths

Enough is never enough!

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Boomers love seeing or hearing of things, and commenting "that looks/sounds great!" but have no interest in actually trying it out for themselves when offered.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Bodyholes posted:

Nah don't worry dude there's a minority of cool, chill boomers who can talk about anything without having to constantly fact check trivial things on wikipedia, while getting blazed and listening to XTC.

Boomers, even cool ones, listening to rock music that came out after 1975???

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Have a refrigerator crap out due to planned obsolescence, wax poetic about the good ol' days when a 1950 Frigidaire would last 35 years, then blame all the environmental laws for ruining appliances.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Bonaventure posted:

Not a boomer, but I am curious about the tasty ooze.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kunabomber posted:

Have a refrigerator crap out due to planned obsolescence, wax poetic about the good ol' days when a 1950 Frigidaire would last 35 years, then blame all the environmental laws for ruining appliances.

Or OSHA for killing small towns because the paper mills had to install safety equipment.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Rad-daddio posted:

Not a boomer, but I am curious about the tasty ooze.

You're supposed to eat it, that's all. You eat it and eat as much as you can and you keep eating it!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

The handwriting thing is hilarious to me, because I've noticed a lot of boomers with bad handwriting. My boss bucks a lot of boomer trends (like telling me I should buy a house), but his handwriting is awful. I've had to learn to translate it for other, newer coworkers.

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, my first job out of high school involved signing my name all day long. That'll take your signature from a complicated cursive work of art to a couple of scribbles in no time.

For about a year, I was the financial secretary for an organization. Since most of the actual active members are boomer and above, it's mostly a cash & cheque business, so I had to write out and sign a shitload of cheques by hand. Long story short, I went through a similar thing that happened to Richard Nixon:

(Related to this, my mom has an annoying habit of just criticizing immaterial things, like how my signature doesn't have all the letters written out. She is just that pedantic about how things "should" be).

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I don’t know if this is in any way a boomer thing but my mom constantly quotes Big Bang Theory to me. Whatever the situation is, she will somehow relate it to something some nerdo on that show did. I don’t have the heart to tell her I can’t stand Big Bang Theory. She also loves Geico ads.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

mojo1701a posted:

(Related to this, my mom has an annoying habit of just criticizing immaterial things, like how my signature doesn't have all the letters written out. She is just that pedantic about how things "should" be).

change your signature to "gently caress u mom"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ralph Hurley posted:

I don’t know if this is in any way a boomer thing but my mom constantly quotes Big Bang Theory to me. Whatever the situation is, she will somehow relate it to something some nerdo on that show did. I don’t have the heart to tell her I can’t stand Big Bang Theory. She also loves Geico ads.

My parents love The Big Bang Theory. Whenever I tell them how much I hate it, my dad just says that I don't understand the science, and insists that I should watch it.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Kunabomber posted:

My mum went on a long monologue about this recently, except it was about food mixers rather than fridges ("I still have the Kenwood mixer that your grandmother bought in 1967 for £80, you shouldn't buy cheap crap that only lasts two years"). Except that cheap, plastic Chinese-made food mixers didn't exist in 1967 - that Kenwood Chef Major was the equivalent of buying a food mixer for £1500 today. Like, yeah, there are still fridges from the 1950s that work fine but a Stor-Mor fridge back then cost as much as a top-spec BMW 5-Series does today. I'd hope that if you bought a fridge for £50k today it would last six decades!

And which generation was it that didn't want expensive, solidly-made, repairable appliances that cost a small fortune but lasted for ever and instead bought cheap, disposable, sealed-for-life, rivetted-together poo poo? Oh yeah...

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Oh boy, boomers.

Every time I e-mail her at work, she prints it out, walks across the office with the printout, and talks to me in person about it.

Not only inefficient, but now theres a gap in the communication chain. Whenever myself or others point this out, we get a :smug: "well that's how i've always done it".

She's been there 27 years and makes 80k as a secretary.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

BalloonFish posted:

My mum went on a long monologue about this recently, except it was about food mixers rather than fridges ("I still have the Kenwood mixer that your grandmother bought in 1967 for £80, you shouldn't buy cheap crap that only lasts two years"). Except that cheap, plastic Chinese-made food mixers didn't exist in 1967 - that Kenwood Chef Major was the equivalent of buying a food mixer for £1500 today. Like, yeah, there are still fridges from the 1950s that work fine but a Stor-Mor fridge back then cost as much as a top-spec BMW 5-Series does today. I'd hope that if you bought a fridge for £50k today it would last six decades!

And which generation was it that didn't want expensive, solidly-made, repairable appliances that cost a small fortune but lasted for ever and instead bought cheap, disposable, sealed-for-life, rivetted-together poo poo? Oh yeah...

I'd love to have a coach-built fridge that I can fine tune like a Swiss instrument.

The repair tech(who would rarely need to come by since the fridge is loving awesome) would be a burly dude with a beard and suspenders and a leather apron. He'd pull out a bunch of clockish repair tools and set to work with little wrenching and tapping noises while whistling jaunty tunes to himself.

When finished with his work, he'd hand me an invoice on parchment and I'd sign it with my fountain pen.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I feel like I want to know more about non North American boomers.

What about poo poo like Japan? I know the business culture there is still operating like it's 1965 when it comes to procedures or signatures

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BalloonFish posted:

It owns that people got paid enough to buy stuff like that lol

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Saying a brown person they actually like is "one of the good ones".

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Running the sprinklers on a day where the entire city is under a flood warning

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Noslo posted:

Oh boy, boomers.

Every time I e-mail her at work, she prints it out, walks across the office with the printout, and talks to me in person about it.

Not only inefficient, but now theres a gap in the communication chain. Whenever myself or others point this out, we get a :smug: "well that's how i've always done it".

She's been there 27 years and makes 80k as a secretary.

One of the reasons I always try to email clients, so I at least have a record of their word for most of the information that I need. Especially if my boss ends up asking me, "Where did you get that number?"

Hell, I finished an auditing course months ago, and one of the primary mantras was, "If it isn't documented, it isn't done." I don't mind calling to clarify or follow-up, but in an email, I at least have a written list of things I need to refer to.

Inept posted:

change your signature to "gently caress u mom"

Aww, I already changed it to "No you shut the gently caress up dad".

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

mojo1701a posted:

One of the reasons I always try to email clients, so I at least have a record of their word for most of the information that I need. Especially if my boss ends up asking me, "Where did you get that number?"

Hell, I finished an auditing course months ago, and one of the primary mantras was, "If it isn't documented, it isn't done." I don't mind calling to clarify or follow-up, but in an email, I at least have a written list of things I need to refer to.

Seriously. I work with so many product codes and quantities that I always prefer emailing. My boss is always asking why no one uses the phones.

How easy for you is it to copy down 50 different 16 digit numbers by hand? Good because that's why I keep emailing. Plus when a customer tries to BS their way into extra stuff I can pull up an email and say "Nah, you got that stuff, here you are asking for it, and here I am responding."

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Having incredibly loud conversations in a movie theater in the middle of the movie

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Bodyholes posted:

We need a thread about 30 year old boomers.

OH, you've met my brother? He seeded a massive lawn in his backyard and bought himself a riding lawnmower. He's got a 125 mile commute but insists on driving a jacked up diesel truck to work every day.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Panfilo posted:

OH, you've met my brother? He seeded a massive lawn in his backyard and bought himself a riding lawnmower. He's got a 125 mile commute but insists on driving a jacked up diesel truck to work every day.

I bet he also backs into parking spaces.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

They also fought tooth and nail to be able to keep firing people for being gay.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Bonzo posted:

Up until the truck nutz are teabagging the hood of the car behind him!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Beastie posted:

Seriously. I work with so many product codes and quantities that I always prefer emailing. My boss is always asking why no one uses the phones.

How easy for you is it to copy down 50 different 16 digit numbers by hand? Good because that's why I keep emailing. Plus when a customer tries to BS their way into extra stuff I can pull up an email and say "Nah, you got that stuff, here you are asking for it, and here I am responding."

I know I posted that "boomer complains about online filing" link earlier, so I'll follow it up by reiterating that I really, really love online access to clients' tax info for just that reason. It's literally right there in front of me to print off for confirmation.

Mind_Taker posted:

Having incredibly loud conversations in a movie theater in the middle of the movie

I saw Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy in a theatre when it came out years ago, and this boomer couple sat in front of me, and would not shut up trying to figure out what was going on in the movie. It's not exactly that difficult of a movie, but it does require more attention than your average blockbuster.

Bonzo posted:

If you ever want a fun time, go to your nearest Costco parking lot, find a car that's backed into its spot (ideally a big car), and wait until the owner comes back and tries to figure out how to get their groceries into the trunk.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Panfilo posted:

That just sounds like the kids southerners or the kids of parents who have "conservative values."

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

That just sounds like the kids southerners or the kids of parents who have "conservative values."

Neither of my parents were like this though. It's hard to explain, he's like some redneck weeaboo.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Panfilo posted:

Neither of my parents were like this though. It's hard to explain, he's like some redneck weeaboo.

It's like; you know how like the world has a low amount of radiation that is constantly mutating stuff. Your brother got irradiated at some point.

Edit: like there is actually this loving meme poo poo going around. Like a bunch of mid 20 year old are trying to carve out this identity that gives them this "I see the world for how it really is."

They call themselves doomers, and are actively trying to turn 30 year old Millennial (Trophy kids per-recession) into boomers. Also trying to show how they are different from the younger kids by mocking them, the zoomers.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/doomer

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 24, 2019

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Panfilo posted:

125 mile commute
what the gently caress

can you please elaborate, this seems crazy

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

sudonim posted:

what the gently caress

Not that crazy, some people "like driving" and really want a huge house in the middle of nowhere even though all they do is sleep in it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

sudonim posted:

what the gently caress

where the hell else you gonna find a house you can actually buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Kunabomber posted:

Not that crazy, some people "like driving" and really want a huge house in the middle of nowhere even though all they do is sleep in it.
I understand some people like to live in the boonies but there's gotta be boonies closer to work than a commute the entire length of New Jersey away

That's gotta, at best, 2.5hrs car commuting each day, not factoring in weather or traffic. I'd lose my mind.

sudonim fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 24, 2019