Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Played this a lot as a kid.

Game and this song.

It was one of my first downloads from Napster IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mine was

"I'm a loser baby so why don't you kill me.mp3" by Nirvana

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

System of a Down - The Legend of Zelda.mp3

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Phish - Gin and Juice.mp3 was probably the apex of the mislabeled

I am pretty sure that influanced other RTS games to have soundtracks that were heavy, which resulted in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTLMH8HMgVs&list=PLgFRJh34O5gjYu-TqFhFxI436qKaNY74y

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

Always smoke a bowla(WEIRD AL).mp3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QfkcigaNHY

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

dialhforhero posted:

I thought Compaqs wern't upgrade-able because they had proprietary mother boards? I seem to remember this being a thing with a lot of computers, which is why I bought a Dell. Like a dude.

They weren't proprietary, just lovely. No room for expansion. Usually Micro-ATX where there's only one free PCI slot and the filled one is a Lucent win-modem and it would have only 2 slots for RAM. You'd be lucky to have an AGP slot. Usually it was onboard video.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

I believe you mean
ElmosGotAGun(WIERD_AL).mp3

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairs posted:

I believe you mean
ElmosGotAGun(WIERD_AL).mp3

thecatsinthekettle(WEIrdAL).mp3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn2Sa5UGxK8

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

twistedmentat posted:

Eddie Van Halen - Top Gun Anthem.mp3

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WescottF1 posted:

Eddie Van Halen - Top Gun Anthem.mp3

It would be even funnier if it was a mislabeled Take My Breathe Away

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I'm a PC Kid who uses shareware to the max.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'm a PC Kid who uses shareware to the max.

Shareware was really just a fancy word for "demo"

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
To this day I can still remember precisely how to beat Doom 1's first 9 levels thanks to that shareware.

Also all the shareware on old Lucasarts games owned. Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones, Full Throttle (which also had a baller rear end intro song)...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syE5AmXAmMU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didn't one of the versions of the shareware disk of Doom have the full version on it, and it wasn't all that hard to unlock it? Or was that a stupid rumor?

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Randaconda posted:

Didn't one of the versions of the shareware disk of Doom have the full version on it, and it wasn't all that hard to unlock it? Or was that a stupid rumor?

I have a copy of the shareware CD of Quake that's like that. Even has the full Trent Reznor soundtrack.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Randaconda posted:

I feel like that is true and I am pretty sure I remember unlocking it.

I am almost 100% sure this was with Doom 2 because I never owned that game but have beaten it on my own machine with cheats

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I remember the screens when you quit the shareware version of dooms 1 and 2 said you'd call and get a code to unlock the rest of the levels?? So there was probably an easy crack unless I'm tripping balls

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
If it was Doom it must've been a later release of it. I'm sure I would've cheated out the rest of the game if I could've.

I don't think Doom 2 ever had a "shareware" version unless there was eventually something done retroactively. I think at that point they knew Doom was a license to print money which was why it was a full retail game instead of episodic like they had previously done.

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Apr 24, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Doom 2 was basically meant to be the enhanced retail version of Doom so there was no shareware release, just like Spear of Destiny had been the retail version of Wolfenstein 3D. Of course The Ultimate Doom came out eventually, but this was just how id did business back then.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Did anyone ever use DWANGO? I remember it being included on the Doom/Heretic installs, but never used it. I wasn't allowed to tie up the phone line when I was a kid, nor did I have the money to pay for a subscription like that.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I definitely played one game of Doom multiplayer. That was it though.

The rest were Jedi Knight, X-Wing Alliance, Warcraft, and Red Alert games.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Also the shareware version of Doom was something you could download from a BBS. The full version came on a stack of floppies. No way you could just distribute the full version hidden in the shareware release to be unlocked with a code or a hack.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I definitely got Ultimate Doom for my birthday as a kid. I even did a science fair project on it!

I took my friends’ body temp, bp, and pulse before and after playing Doom 2 on Ultra Violence.

Results were......B-

This would have been 1996, I think.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
I think you guys are thinking of the stuff bundled on the Quake CD:

It got cracked rather quickly and iD wasn't very pleased with TestDrive™

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

aardwolf posted:

I think you guys are thinking of the stuff bundled on the Quake CD:

It got cracked rather quickly and iD wasn't very pleased with TestDrive™

Somebody photoshop it to say “enter code to have John Romero make you his bitch.”

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I remember only buying 2 shareware back in the 90s; Doom and Raptor Call Of the Shadows.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
90s seems like it was the last time adventure games were really popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpiAFd9OkHY

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Randaconda posted:

Go play Unavowed, Technobabylon, and the rest of the Wadjet Eye games right the hell now :colbert:.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
90's adventure games look like they've been supplanted by hidden object games. There may be some merit to the thought that 90's style adventure games are just as popular as they were back then, but the overall video game market grew while the adventure game market stayed about the same, but I don't have the figures to back that up.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

dialhforhero posted:

To this day I can still remember precisely how to beat Doom 1's first 9 levels thanks to that shareware.

Also all the shareware on old Lucasarts games owned. Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones, Full Throttle (which also had a baller rear end intro song)...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syE5AmXAmMU

drat I had the full wide box for Full Throttle with the giant book and everything. Bet it's worth quite a bit now. :(

That game ruled so hard. That along with Interstate 76 and Deus Ex summed up my life as a tween. And I'm thinking Hell Toupee would be a hell of a username. drat did I76 have killer voice acting to make up for the lack of character faces.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Also the shareware version of Doom was something you could download from a BBS. The full version came on a stack of floppies. No way you could just distribute the full version hidden in the shareware release to be unlocked with a code or a hack.

Yes, the wad-file containing rest of the game levels was more than what one floppy could have handled. But IIRC otherwise all of the assets were the same, so switching out the level file, or using editor to make your own, was possible with just the shareware version.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Randaconda posted:

Yea i mentioned in the 80s thread how they'd do that to increased difficulty because there really wasn't any other way. I remember playing Dagger of Amon Ra and having no idea about the time mechanic in it, so I could never get anywhere. But then the 90s also gave us FMV games, which have their own issues. Hilariously bad acting is not one of them.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

jojoinnit posted:

drat I had the full wide box for Full Throttle with the giant book and everything. Bet it's worth quite a bit now. :(

That game ruled so hard. That along with Interstate 76 and Deus Ex summed up my life as a tween. And I'm thinking Hell Toupee would be a hell of a username. drat did I76 have killer voice acting to make up for the lack of character faces.

I76 ruled. I still listen to the soundtrack every once in a while, which, fun fact, was composed by the bassist for Third Eye Blind.

I82 wasn't nearly as good, but it introduced me to Devo beyond Whip It and had the funniest last boss I had seen at the time: Ronald Reagan in a giant robot on the Vegas strip. When you beat him, he blames his injuries on his underling, John Hinckly.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

OutOfPrint posted:

I76 ruled. I still listen to the soundtrack every once in a while, which, fun fact, was composed by the bassist for Third Eye Blind.

I82 wasn't nearly as good, but it introduced me to Devo beyond Whip It and had the funniest last boss I had seen at the time: Ronald Reagan in a giant robot on the Vegas strip. When you beat him, he blames his injuries on his underling, John Hinckly.

Holy hell on both! I tried I82 and soon realised it was the Invisible War to DX and never played it again but went straight back to the I76 expansion packs. I don't get why they think people want things dumbed down. If the first game gets critical acclaim for things like realistic damage modelling don't go and change it to a stupid health bar for the second! :argh:

You have made me want to go play the story for I82 though. I wonder how well it runs? It was hell to get I76 working a few years ago but I did it through a combination of things I can probably never quite remember so it's a good thing I immediately wrote a guide for it on GoG because I was that kind of nerd back then in good old 2014-ish.

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 17:58 on Apr 25, 2019

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I am pretty sure, Elder Scrolls, RDR and Fallout are adventure games and they are hella successful.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

"Adventure" games from the 80s and 90s are point and click puzzle games with narratives. They went away because so many of them were bad. Telltale tried to update them and even with huge sales they shut down because they will never have mass appeal again. People like complexity but not bullshit puzzles.

Even the first two Fallout games had almost nothing to do with the adventure genre.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mu Zeta posted:

"Adventure" games from the 80s and 90s are point and click puzzle games with narratives. They went away because so many of them were bad. Telltale tried to update them and even with huge sales they shut down because they will never have mass appeal again. People like complexity but not bullshit puzzles.

Even the first two Fallout games had almost nothing to do with the adventure genre.

They've been trucking along just fine as a genre again for the past decade now with a pretty solid fanbase. You need to remember the "mass appeal" was with people who actually owned a computer at the time, and there's just a whole lot more people who own one now.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

twistedmentat posted:

This wasn’t mislabeled though... it was a bootleg from a concert of them performing the song from back when they were supposed to be the next great touring band after the Dead...

Or is that the joke and I am dumb?

Both are very possible

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

jojoinnit posted:

You have made me want to go play the story for I82 though. I wonder how well it runs? It was hell to get I76 working a few years ago but I did it through a combination of things I can probably never quite remember so it's a good thing I immediately wrote a guide for it on GoG because I was that kind of nerd back then in good old 2014-ish.
The GOG.com version of I82 ran absolutely fine when I tried it a few years ago. The game certainly hasn't aged well, but that's another story.

I really liked the original I82 installer which played an in-universe news report and followed it up with a Devo song while the game was installing from the disc. The GOG version just uses the normal GOG installer, which is a bit of a shame, but it's not like the original would work these days anyway since the game installs so much faster on modern hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people

dialhforhero posted:

I am pretty sure, Elder Scrolls, RDR and Fallout are adventure games and they are hella successful.

Those are all CRPGs, not adventure games. Adventure games are like Sam and Max or Day of the Tentacle. Point and click interface with an inventory. Most of the "gameplay" was figuring out which inventory item you had to use on the right spot to advance the plot or get a new item.