Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Away all Goats posted:

The funniest was the writers going 'no! It was a moment of passion. She actually wanted to have sex in front of her dead son'

The thing is, in the books she does want to and it would have been super easy to just adapt the scene as it was. Maybe avoid the part where she's currently on her period but w/e

The show made that scene so much weirder than it already was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Okay but that still only leaves Chuck Tingle.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

tho ngl GRRM does have a point that the scene as written in the book doesn't work as well in the show, where Jaime has been in KL p much the whole time anyway and was there for Joffrey's death. In the book it's this huge high emotion moment where they're seeing eachother for p much the first time since he was captured by the Starks, and both dealing with the death of their son-- and Jaime struggling with the double guilt of failing as a Kingsguard and failing as a protector to his family, with Cersei struggling with both being happy to see him and being furious he wasn't around to stop Joffrey from dying, plus the added bonus of being disgusted he doesn't have a hand any more lmbo

They really should have just cut the scene or found a way to play up the grief in a better, less rapey way.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

esperterra posted:

tho ngl GRRM does have a point that the scene as written in the book doesn't work as well in the show, where Jaime has been in KL p much the whole time anyway and was there for Joffrey's death. In the book it's this huge high emotion moment where they're seeing eachother for p much the first time since he was captured by the Starks, and both dealing with the death of their son-- and Jaime struggling with the double guilt of failing as a Kingsguard and failing as a protector to his family, with Cersei struggling with both being happy to see him and being furious he wasn't around to stop Joffrey from dying, plus the added bonus of being disgusted he doesn't have a hand any more lmbo

They really should have just cut the scene or found a way to play up the grief in a better, less rapey way.

Oh come on nothing says grief like raping your sister on you dead incest sons coffin. That is just a classic scene in every movie.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Elephanthead posted:

Oh come on nothing says grief like raping your sister on you dead incest sons coffin. That is just a classic scene in every movie.

hmmmm fair argument tbh

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like to imagine GRRM having sex

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The only explanation I've come up with is that they knew the scene existed in the book and figured it was an opportunity to make Circe more sympathetic by having her get raped. This is kind of obscene ofc I just don't see any other reason for it to be directed the way it was.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Go on ...

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

No Wave posted:

The only explanation I've come up with is that they knew the scene existed in the book and figured it was an opportunity to make Circe more sympathetic by having her get raped. This is kind of obscene ofc I just don't see any other reason for it to be directed the way it was.

This shouldn't bother me but it's been like five posts now

It's Cersei

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Sky Shadowing posted:

There might even be a moment where the Living are trying to retreat into Winterhold

That's the Skyrim place.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Put your finger in my moon hole! Watch me fly!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

One of GRRM's many book delay excuses was that he contracted a urinary tract infection from anal sex with his partner

Ol' Shitdick nearly lost the mast of his loveship that day

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'd imagine it's a lot like the ending of Brian Yuzna's Society.

"I love the thrill of the hunt... and the taste of the shunt!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcfav-5kArM

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Doltos posted:

This shouldn't bother me but it's been like five posts now

It's Cersei

Circe is annoying but not nearly annoying as people spelling Jaime as Jamie

idk why that on bothers me the most out of all the weird names in this show

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Thom12255 posted:

That's the Skyrim place.

My avatar should be a solid indicator of why I get that messed up rather often.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

ruddiger posted:

"I love the thrill of the hunt... and the taste of the gunt!"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

esperterra posted:

Well, that one's a common name in real life too, and it's usually spelled Jamie.

In my head, I always pronounce Jaime as hy-may.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

esperterra posted:

Between reading AGOT and watching season one I thought he just inexplicably had a spanish name

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Phenotype posted:

Well, that one's a common name in real life too, and it's usually spelled Jamie.

That's what I mean, I don't know why mispelling Jaime of all names bugs me when it's one of the most normal names lol

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They should have a grrm sex scene cameo

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

ROFL Octopus posted:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

ROFL Octopus posted:

I guess there could be one last scene in Littlefingers old Brothel, who's paying those women now he's dead anyway?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They formed a sex workers coop.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Thom12255 posted:

I guess there could be one last scene in Littlefingers old Brothel, who's paying those women now he's dead anyway?

Bronn

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

It’s an autonomous collective.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
words were literally invented to talk about food and sex so actually grrm gets it and yall are puritan cuckolds

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

In the case of Dany, I wonder if they could have had her keep that vulnerability throughout the show? She can keep the bluster when she has an audience, acting like she thinks she's supposed to act as a Warrior Queen, and then make her all impostor syndrome when alone. That could sorta make her not being a convincing Warrior Queen work, what with it being an actual in-show smoke screen for someone with a head full of stories about what Targaryans are supposed to be without the proper temperament for living up to them.

They actually did with a couple times with Robb early on, which I really liked.

It would be more representative of Dany's internal monologues :imunfunny: in the books :imunfunny: (yeah, yeah, I know) as well

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Phenotype posted:

Jaime's dyslexic so maybe it's intentional.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Book Dany is def a more vulnerable character. The show version loses a lot of what makes her tick by removing the prophecies that haunt her and make her see potential betrayals around every corner. They should have kept that and leaned into it, especially because aging her up (rightfully so) loses the vulnerability that naturally comes with her being loving sixteen still during the events of Meereen.

She needs something to make her seem like a more rounded character. The tough as nails warrior queen schtick got old very fast when it turned out the show had nothing to reveal behind it.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

christmas boots posted:

Whoa, somehow I'm just now encountering the "Jon Snow is Lightbringer" theory. This poo poo is wild.

Read that as "Jon Snow is Littlefinger" theory.

GURM's third epic reveal found!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

esperterra posted:

Book Dany is def a more vulnerable character. The show version loses a lot of what makes her tick by removing the prophecies that haunt her and make her see potential betrayals around every corner. They should have kept that and leaned into it, especially because aging her up (rightfully so) loses the vulnerability that naturally comes with her being loving sixteen still during the events of Meereen.

She needs something to make her seem like a more rounded character. The tough as nails warrior queen schtick got old very fast when it turned out the show had nothing to reveal behind it.

The women in the show seem to all be a victim of badass writing. I get it makes the twitter crowds cheer when Arya kills all the Freys or Sansa pulls out the big political intrigue guns on Littlefinger, but if every girls a badass then they aren't special. Even Cersei lacks the depth of book Cersei by turning her into an unrelenting mean queen.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

As much poo poo as people give The GURM for being a weirdo perv, his female characters are at least complex people and honestly it's one of my favourite things about those dumb gay books !!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Doltos posted:

The women in the show seem to all be a victim of badass writing. I get it makes the twitter crowds cheer when Arya kills all the Freys or Sansa pulls out the big political intrigue guns on Littlefinger, but if every girls a badass then they aren't special. Even Cersei lacks the depth of book Cersei by turning her into an unrelenting mean queen.

Weirdly, I feel like actual badass warrior Brienne has shown the most vulnerability, but that could just be on account of Gwendolyn Christie being amazing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Crow Jane posted:

Weirdly, I feel like actual badass warrior Brienne has shown the most vulnerability, but that could just be on account of Gwendolyn Christie being amazing.

Brienne is one of the few women in the show that I think they really got right, like in terms of having depth like her book counterpart does. It's a shame they gave her absolutely nothing to do after her fight with The Hound.

e: also yah christie owns

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Doltos posted:

I feel like most of this can be fixed by writers remembering that 'badass' only rarely means 'ice cold bitch' when it comes to women. Like...the way Dany stands up to Viserys for the first time in Season 1 is MILES more badass in my book than any number of people that she burns later with a smug/cold stare.

Also as the above posters said...Brienne's prolly the only badass woman on the show atm I consider to be perfect and yea...it's precisely because in her private times she acts out her vulnerabilities and hangups while doing what she has to the rest of the time. It actually makes her feel like a human being.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 25, 2019

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Crow Jane posted:

Yeah Gwendolyn Christie is a great actress and her character is well developed. I feel like most of the adults have good character development while the Stark kids kinda suffer from being the poster kids of the series.

CrazyLoon posted:

I feel like most of this can be fixed by writers remembering that 'badass' only rarely means 'ice cold bitch' when it comes to women. Like...the way Dany stands up to Viserys for the first time in Season 1 is MILES more badass in my book than any number of people that she burns later with a smug/cold stare.

Also as the above poster said...Brienne's prolly the only badass woman on the show atm I consider to be perfect.

Exactly. Dany isn't badass anymore she's just a jerk, same with Cersei. Arya is more of a smug rear end in a top hat right now that needs to get knocked down a peg than a badass. Sansa too.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I feel like both of the Tyrell women on the show were pretty perfect. And idk, I find Cersei's elephant fixation and weird friendship with Qyburn sort of endearing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

With Cersei they at least gave her sympathetic traits, I just don't like their way of making her vulnerable as much as I enjoy book Cersei. Headey kills it always tho

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Phenotype posted:

I bet I’ve been doing that a lot. I phone post and don’t double check to see if autocorrect changed anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Doltos posted:

Who isn’t a dead-eyed killer on the show, though? Sam and Gilly? Maybe Tyrion? Marge? I feel like the brutality of the world has most characters who survive follow that Arya/Sansa trajectory more often than not.