Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Disco Salmon posted:

Last night he was trying SO hard to say something to me, and I could not pick it up and I felt terrible. He finally just put his foot on my face and kissed me and said "Kiss kiss, It's ok it's ok" (his 2nd favorite phrase) and made his way back to where the snacks were lol

:kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

So nice of him to let his stupid human know that it's alright he doesn't know how to talk

:kimchi:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I'm just spreading this everywhere and it won't embed even but it's delightful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pv4ILrO_B4

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

So nice of him to let his stupid human know that it's alright he doesn't know how to talk

:kimchi:

Yeah...so I read this reply to my husband.

Cricket piped up from behind us saying "Yeah... it's true!!" God I get absolutely no respect :(

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

When I took Serra in for her clip, I hadn't been to the bird store in a few months. (One of the employees and I dated and it ended awkwardly.) The birds I knew still recognised me and let me play with them. But there was a new cheeky Amazon.

I had Serra in her travel cage, and walked over to the Amazon. He quickly said, "Hello!" and I responded, "Hi!"

Then, Mr. Amazon says, "Where'd you get that!?" and used his head to gesture at Serra. I lifted Serra up to his eye level and he went, "Oooooooh! Heh heh heh heh!"

:stare:

Birds are freaking WEIRD.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Visited Scout again today and she is in an oxygen enclosure, so while I wasn't able to handle her, she was more alert and was totally aware it was me there. Before when we handled her she would just nap out immediately. She was still definitely dopey from the :birddrugs: but was putting her head up against her enclosure where I was touching it. She was able to, awkwardly, walk over to her treat bowl and start stuffing her face too which is something we haven't seen her do since the injury. It was encouraging to see her do that, and shows that while she is totally going to be mobility impaired she will still be able to tough it out and get to those treats when she needs to.

Most of the visit was like this though:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

mikerock posted:

Visited Scout again today and she is in an oxygen enclosure, so while I wasn't able to handle her, she was more alert and was totally aware it was me there. Before when we handled her she would just nap out immediately. She was still definitely dopey from the :birddrugs: but was putting her head up against her enclosure where I was touching it. She was able to, awkwardly, walk over to her treat bowl and start stuffing her face too which is something we haven't seen her do since the injury. It was encouraging to see her do that, and shows that while she is totally going to be mobility impaired she will still be able to tough it out and get to those treats when she needs to.

What a good little trooper. I'm glad she's eating and recovering!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Tendai posted:

I always see those specific birds do the bow then lean waaaay back dance, what does it mean :thunk:

Also glad to see scouts recovering even if they look pretty shaggy

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/VictorianHumour/status/1116288723849756672

Saw this, thought of your parrots, thread

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

mikerock posted:

i am glad your wee bird seems to be doing better! please give her a kiss on the head for me

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

mikerock posted:

Awwww. Man. This thread makes me want a bird so much sometimes. I have tons of space, but a 9-5 job and I feel like I wouldn't be able to love one enough.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Tres Burritos posted:

Awwww. Man. This thread makes me want a bird so much sometimes. I have tons of space, but a 9-5 job and I feel like I wouldn't be able to love one enough.

I worried about the same thing. Some birds can handle being alone for a while. We have Pinto out for ½-1hr in the morning, then 2+ hrs when we're home. He's content to just be on our shoulders as we go about doing our thing. He can be cranky or a bit of a jerk at times, but he can also be very sweet and snuggly.

The little green sour grape has been the best part of the past 6 months. I would kill a man for this bird. I didn't know I was capable of loving such a tiny thing so much.

I'm so glad that Scout seems to be doing okay. That pic of her up against the glass is melting my once cold, black heart.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Reminds me of the Johnny Carson episode with a talking budgie who refused to talk, but instead wanted to hang out with the audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4drj5J9mVk

Be sure to tell Scout that a bunch of internet people love her and want her to get better! That little face :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

redgubbinz posted:

Be sure to tell Scout that a bunch of internet people love her and want her to get better! That little face :3:

:yeah: !!!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Just realized these emotes exist :bird: :goose: that's all.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

redgubbinz posted:

Yes, we believe in scout!

terra fell asleep licking my jeans for some reason???

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Faerie Fortune posted:

Yes, we believe in scout!

terra fell asleep licking my jeans for some reason???

:3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

As most of you know, my father and I pooled our cash and got a condo together because he isn't getting younger and my disability can make it hard for me to get around. Match made in heaven. I didn't imagine at close to 35 I'd be living with my father, but it's far better than the alternative of breaking my neck in an apartment alone somewhere.

My father watches sports. All the sports. I don't mind them, but he loves them. The other day I was out, and got this in a text -

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

As most of you know, my father and I pooled our cash and got a condo together because he isn't getting younger and my disability can make it hard for me to get around. Match made in heaven. I didn't imagine at close to 35 I'd be living with my father, but it's far better than the alternative of breaking my neck in an apartment alone somewhere.

My father watches sports. All the sports. I don't mind them, but he loves them. The other day I was out, and got this in a text -

My mom and I live together for the same reason. She's older and lonely, and I can't afford to live here without a roommate anyways, so why not make it someone I actually like :v:

Good dad good birb :3:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
whch one of you was this

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/24/brazil-drug-parrot-trained-as-lookout-for-dealers

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
That owns, especially the tone of the article where the parrot is treated like a human criminal suspect.

I hope this naughty parrot can be successfully rehabilitated and lead a peaceful future life

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tsaedje posted:

That owns, especially the tone of the article where the parrot is treated like a human criminal suspect.

I hope this naughty parrot can be successfully rehabilitated and lead a peaceful future life

Snitches get scritches :ese:.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
A Brazilian journalist who came face to face with the imprisoned parrot on Tuesday described it as a “super obedient” creature – albeit one that had kept its beak firmly shut after being “arrested”.

“So far it hasn’t made a sound … completely silent,” the reporter said

I think it's good on that front :3:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mikerock posted:

I’m crying like a baby over here

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Well now I want to teach my Grey "FIVE O, FIVE O"

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Tendai posted:

Such a communication mismatch - ringneck's big swoopy HELLO dance versus a baby grey's subdued little hello stance :kimchi:

mikerock posted:

Awww, she's so tousledy - tough little birdy, hope's she's home soon.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pookah posted:

Such a communication mismatch - ringneck's big swoopy HELLO dance versus a baby grey's subdued little hello stance :kimchi:

Awww, she's so tousledy - tough little birdy, hope's she's home soon.
The ring neck wants to be friends SO BAD I just love it

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Kitfox88 posted:

I always see those specific birds do the bow then lean waaaay back dance, what does it mean :thunk:
Isn't that a flirty gesture for ringneck/Alexandrine parrots?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tsaedje posted:

he has not been named, presumably to protect his privacy

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"Even this bird-brain knows that all cops are bastards, kids!"

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Thanks guys for all the kind comments about Scout. :h: :h: :h:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Scout :kimchi: If I had a billion dollary dos I'd buy her a sweet rear end robot leg.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Scout :kimchi: If I had a billion dollary dos I'd buy her a sweet rear end robot leg.

Haha I would get her a jetpack!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

mikerock posted:

Haha I would get her a jetpack!

Having a parrot slam into my head day after day with jet propulsion might get old. Because that's all they would do. Figure out the most irritating thing and repeat, repeat, repeat.

(:3:)

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Parrots would absolutely get some sort of voice amplifier and spend their time flock calling on a foghorn level if they got to pick what cyborg enhancements to get.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

When I was in the vet last time, a Cockatiel came in and heard all the birds in the back and started loudly flock calling. One of the tiels in the back heard it and they formed a louder and louder feedback loop of frustrated flock calls. Fortunately I was called in to see Scout before it got really out of hand.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://twitter.com/roaneatan/status/1121399869325754368

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Tres Burritos posted:

Do you have any outdoor space? Chickens are the low-maintenance feathered dinosaur friends that poop breakfast!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

ynohtna posted:

Do you have any outdoor space? Chickens are the low-maintenance feathered dinosaur friends that poop breakfast!

Can confirm. I recently wound up with two hens (a barred rock and a cochin) and they're great fun to just watch running around the yard. Eggs are a nice bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

mikerock posted:

When I was in the vet last time, a Cockatiel came in and heard all the birds in the back and started loudly flock calling. One of the tiels in the back heard it and they formed a louder and louder feedback loop of frustrated flock calls. Fortunately I was called in to see Scout before it got really out of hand.

Female cockatiels will basically flock call nonstop for tens of hours if they don’t get a satisfactory response from a bird or human.

I’ve never had a Male cockatiel but they sound even more ridiculous.