Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Hellraiser 2 is the best depiction of hell in a movie besides maybe the Burning Moon

They kinda hit it out of the park with the first at bat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M9e6jxA9tA

As for modern movies, As Above, So Below and The House That Jack Built brought the spookadoodles in the hell dept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Narzack posted:

I've never read the book, so that may help it out in my view. I don't know if another huge set piece to end the film would work either. At that point, it would probably be too numbing. The audience would be fatigued by all the tension.

For how much the book covers and what we saw in the movie, I'd have to say World War Z's pretty much unfilmable as a single film sort of thing and that it'd be a cold day in Hell before the studios even entertained a duology or trilogy for a horror plot even as a joke much less than something serious. There's just too many good bits to just go pick and choose for a feature length film.

It'd have to be done as a series either along the lines of Ken Burns' Civil War or a cable premium show just because of how each of the segments build the growing zombie epidemic to everything going to poo poo to the turn around and where the world is post outbreak. I want to see the bits like Sharon's story "They pulled her away from me. Her arms let me go. They were big soft arms." or the Queen's sacrifice "The highest of distinctions is service to others." or the Astronaut's tale "Not bad for the son of an Andamooka opal miner." Really, I still feel shortchanged that we never got to see the full on Battle of Yonkers.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Easy Diff posted:

I hate mood pieces.

mood pieces kick rear end

love me a big mood

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m racking my brain trying to remember a film I watched a bunch of years ago, but can’t find in my rating logs or trakt list which is odd.

I might be crossing over or getting details wrong so apologies if so, but I don’t think it’d be anything particular unknown to horror fans I just can’t remember looking through lists.

Believe it to be a 70s Giallo film, set in Germany perhaps? Involved people of an orchestra or drama company being murdered. The killer is eventually worked out due to something on the wall in an apartment hallway revealing them, maybe a mirror? Possibly a painting?

I’m hoping it’ll come to me now I’ve written it out.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m racking my brain trying to remember a film I watched a bunch of years ago, but can’t find in my rating logs or trakt list which is odd.

I might be crossing over or getting details wrong so apologies if so, but I don’t think it’d be anything particular unknown to horror fans I just can’t remember looking through lists.

Believe it to be a 70s Giallo film, set in Germany perhaps? Involved people of an orchestra or drama company being murdered. The killer is eventually worked out due to something on the wall in an apartment hallway revealing them, maybe a mirror? Possibly a painting?

Looks like you're mixing up Opera or possibly Stagefright (the theater) and Deep Red (the reveal).

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Looks like you're mixing up Opera or possibly Stagefright (the theater) and Deep Red (the reveal).

I almost want to say there was something with a framed picture regarding a flashback in Stagefright. Only reason I'm thinking it might not be Stagefright is the killer's distinctive owl mask.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
As Above, So Below is the best Lara Croft movie. I didn't love it but it was pretty entertaining.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
it's a solid found footage indiana jones movie

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Not sure what to make about this. https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3557632/james-wan-producing-new-adaptation-stephen-kings-salems-lot/

I love the book, it was the first Stephen King one I read. I'll always have a soft spot for the '79 version and there were bits I thought were done decent in the '04 version.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As a random post makes me rewatch a movie I love I'm reminded that my favorite part about As Above So Below (besides Lara Croft/Perdita Weeks) is the completely untold story of Benji that I'm 100% convinced is there and not in my head.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

EL BROMANCE posted:

Deep Red most likely, the main character is a jazz musician and his friend is a saxophonist (or flutist? something like that) and the reveal of the killer is more or less exactly as you described.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

M_Sinistrari posted:

Not sure what to make about this. https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3557632/james-wan-producing-new-adaptation-stephen-kings-salems-lot/

I love the book, it was the first Stephen King one I read. I'll always have a soft spot for the '79 version and there were bits I thought were done decent in the '04 version.

The '79 version has some great moments, but the feature length cut is so much more watchable than the full miniseries. I don't remember too many of the specific differences, but the full version (the only one I could find for a recent rewatch) wastes more than half an hour on that random adultery plot that has nothing to do with the rest of the story.

My favorite version of anything related to that series is still A Return to Salem's Lot, which gets scorn from King fans for being an in-name-only sequel and gets overlooked by Larry Cohen fans for its King connection. It's so amazingly weird though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

As a random post makes me rewatch a movie I love I'm reminded that my favorite part about As Above So Below (besides Lara Croft/Perdita Weeks) is the completely untold story of Benji that I'm 100% convinced is there and not in my head.

I mean, in a movie where people's personal demons are killing them, Benjy is very clearly killed by a screaming woman who is carrying a baby.. Hard to believe that was included for no reason at all.

I say it every time As Above, So Below comes up, but for my money it's the best found footage horror movie ever made.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Easy Diff posted:

I hate mood pieces. Movies need to have some sort of narrative thrust for me to enjoy them. Not necessarily rigid Syd Field three act structure, but something more than ethereal meandering. Hellraiser II is a barely plotted, languidly edited, jaw droppingly beautiful piece I don't think is very good.

Film isn't limited to three act structure. That's a popular structure, considered the most comfortable by screenwriters and audience expectation (based on the 'Rule of 3'), but it is not the only one. Horror, especially, tends to break this structure.

Easy Diff posted:

I guess it comes down to me watching movies for the stories, not the art direction. Certainly art direction is important, but only if the story its telling works. Books are about what people think, plays are about what people say, movies are about what people do.

I disagree and want to point out this is a flawed, myopic perspective on cinema. Story isn't the goal of all films, especially if you're considering anything outside of USA cinema and/or Hollywood productions.

Film is not about what people do. Film is an art form where visuals and sound can come together to convey themes, ideas and emotions beyond a basic narrative structure. Photography is art for the eyes, painting is art for the hands and eyes, music is art for the "ears", prose is art for the mind, poetry is art for the mind and ears and sometimes eyes (like e.e. cummings); film is able to embrace all of these aspects to deliver a new form of expression and emotional resonance in the viewer. Just like in photography, paintings, poetry and music, story is not a necessary component for the piece to work. (There's a wonderful interview with filmmaker Jonathan Demme I'm trying to find, where he says the best rule of film he learned from Roger Corman is that film is for the eyes, and so he always tried to concentrate on what he could do in his films to excite the eyes, and to tell the story visually.)

Plot isn't always story-based, it is the structure in which the film is presented. Because of this, plot is not always a tangible or easily defined, like "Ash cuts off his hand > Ash replaces hand with chainsaw > Ash prepares to enter basement".

For an example, Evil Dead's finale does not have a story, other than "Ash goes crazy from the supernatural forces". What makes this an exceptional movement of cinema is that this idea is conveyed through cinematography, sound design, special effects, music, Bruce Campbell's acting, and the editing. It has nothing to do with story, though it still largely has to do with the plotting, since the order of successive moments builds to an absurd sense of unease. An excellent writer could take these moments and write out the same scenes through prose, and while it may be good and interesting, it could never duplicate the same feeling as the film, because it is not the story that conveys these emotions for the viewer.

There are plenty of amazing horror films that don't have much story or dialogue. David Lynch's Eraserhead, for instance, ignores basic film structure and narrative and dialogue, all to its advantage. A Page of Madness is considered one of the greatest Japanese horror films, and there's barely any dialogue; to try and fit that narrative to a simple structure or to make it focus on a story completely defeats it's intention of instilling a fear and paranoia of mental illness and insanity. Suspiria does not make sense if you try to define it's story and structure while ignoring that it is embracing the ability of film to be coherent without being logical, so as to disturb and enthrall the audience more. Demons takes the absurdity of horror movies and creates a metafictional hellscape for it's characters, but the story begins and ends with "An accident involving a mask makes attendance of a movie theater turn into demonic monsters." Not to mention plenty of horror-based avant-garde and experimental films, which have been defining cinema since the format's origin.

With horror, this is widely (though not always!) considered the strong point of the genre, because it has learned that fear and anxiety and disgust are not logic-based emotions. Criticism for the recent film US has been mixed, because of how much story and information it feeds to the audience, simultaneously too much while not enough. We are afraid of the unknown and the limitation of understanding, and an effective way to accomplish this is to gently caress with known structures and expectations of audiences.

I always respected Roger Ebert's philosophy of film, despite him not really 'getting' some of my favorite movies. His goal was to always meet the film on it's own level and judge it based on it's intention and execution of it's goals and ideas. It would be foolish, in his system, to try and judge Critters 2 and The Shining with the same set of expectations. This still leaves every viewer with judging a film with whether it works for them or not, while not trying to judge it unfairly or going into the film with a judgement already in place.

I'm not writing this in trying to say you're wrong and the way you watch movies is wrong. I am trying to convey that your view is kind of narrow, and will limit your enjoyment of hundreds and hundreds of excellent films, historical cinematic movements, and film experiences you might not otherwise embrace.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

I'm not writing this in trying to say you're wrong and the way you watch movies is wrong. I am trying to convey that your view is kind of narrow, and will limit your enjoyment of hundreds and hundreds of excellent films, historical cinematic movements, and film experiences you might not otherwise embrace.
I appreciate this post, and I do agree I have my biases about how I enjoy film. I feel like you conflated "characters talking about exposition" with "story" in my experiences a little, which is unfair - there are plenty of movies I love that have next to no dialog (Mad Max: Fury Road jumps immediately to mind as a movie with maaaybe 40 lines of dialog total that tells an incredible story using set design, action and movement).

I think I just prefer my 'experiential' moments to be segregated from my time in the theater. I go to art shows and galleries to see the art that is merely evocative; my goal in a movie theater/on a couch is to be entertained and told a story. I think storytelling is the oldest and most human art, and movies are currently the best way to evoke that, usurping books in the last 70 years or so.

So I want stories. If a movie is steadfastly refusing to tell me one, under the auspices of "it's art, it's designed to evoke a mood!" then it can go pound sand.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Origami Dali posted:

M_Sinistrari posted:

I almost want to say there was something with a framed picture regarding a flashback in Stagefright. Only reason I'm thinking it might not be Stagefright is the killer's distinctive owl mask.

gey muckle mowser posted:

Deep Red most likely, the main character is a jazz musician and his friend is a saxophonist (or flutist? something like that) and the reveal of the killer is more or less exactly as you described.

Thanks all, it’s gotta be Deep Red then as I have Opera but haven’t had chance to watch, and don’t think I’ve got Stagefright (maybe I should grab!).

I dismissed it as being Deep Red as I kept remembering just the elements about the doll in the flashback scenes, and for some reason thought that ended in a school. I’m really good at mixing up my Giallos it seems!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You and I have fundamentally different interests in films, then, because I do not passively watch movies. You’re gonna want to ignore any film I recommend in here.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Thanks all, it’s gotta be Deep Red then as I have Opera but haven’t had chance to watch, and don’t think I’ve got Stagefright (maybe I should grab!).

I dismissed it as being Deep Red as I kept remembering just the elements about the doll in the flashback scenes, and for some reason thought that ended in a school. I’m really good at mixing up my Giallos it seems!

Yea, Deep Red's ending reveal sounds like it definitely fits the bill. Especially what you said about it taking place in an apartment building hallway. The villain is killed when her necklace gets caught in the elevator door and decapitates her, if that helps.

Re: the current conversation, personally I have a hard time imagining watching movies in only one context, or one type of mood, or for only one purpose. That's a big reason why I keep a decent sized collection of movies, because I can't predict day to day what I'll want to watch. Sometimes I want to barely pay attention and be able to just glance at the screen at any given moment and see something visually interesting. I have movies that fit nicely into that mood. Other times I want an intricate story where I feel like I almost have to keep notes to follow it, that's it's own specific mood. Sometimes I want something I've never seen, when I'm in the mood to be surprised. Other times I want to re-examine a movie I know I like, to enjoy specific aspects of it that maybe I didn't pay close attention to the first time around.

I could go on and on with other specific situations and moods that can lead me to watch a certain movie, but that's what makes movies such a fun obsession, the options are neverending.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, exactly. Like, one of the best movies I’ve seen in the past few years is Tarkovsky’s Stalker, which is the exactly what EasyDiff is saying he hates in a movie. Which is insane, cuz it’s an AMAZING movie. But I’m also not in the mood to watch Stalker every day. Sometimes I want a story-driven thriller like Widows, sometimes I wanna watch some Norm MacLaren avant-garde short films, sometimes I wanna watch an exploitation cannibal flick. To limit myself to just one thing in my comfort zone is just that, a limitation.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 25, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, exactly. Like, one of the best movies I’ve seen in the past few years is Tarkovsky’s Stalker, which is the exactly what EasyDiff is saying he hates in a movie. Which is insane, cuz it’s an AMAZING movie. But I’m also not in the mood to watch Stalker every day. Sometimes I want a story-driven thriller like Widows, sometimes I wanna watch some Norm MacLaren avant-garde short films, sometimes I wanna watch an exploitation cannibal flick. To limit myself to just one thing in my comfort zone is just that, a limitation.
Look, I watch football games. I tried watching some hockey games, since they're similar in being sporting events. I didn't like it, went back to football. It's insane that I should be required to continue attending hockey games, an event I do not enjoy, because maybe someday I'll really get into hockey.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Imagine denying yourself the works of David Lynch because he doesn't use a traditionally narrative story structure. Madness.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Easy Diff posted:

Look, I watch football games. I tried watching some hockey games, since they're similar in being sporting events. I didn't like it, went back to football. It's insane that I should be required to continue attending hockey games, an event I do not enjoy, because maybe someday I'll really get into hockey.

Okay, but what if, at every hockey game, they changed all the space, equipment, and rules?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Easy Diff posted:

Fran may have a slightly different point, but all my post was really meant to express is that your very specific taste is just alien to me. Hard to put myself in your shoes.

I'm glad you posted your opinion of Hellraiser II, and also that you put the effort into responding to the expected backlash. I think you've done a good job explaining your feelings on it and its something that should definitely be encouraged in the horror thread.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
What if both hockey and football was played by skeletons and robots and stuff. Like some sort of, “mutant league.”

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Drunkboxer posted:

What if both hockey and football was played by skeletons and robots and stuff. Like some sort of, “mutant league.”

No lie new MLF on Steam is a delight, they got the NBA Jam guy to do the announcing and every player/team is part of an endless series of puns on their names like Twitter in October.

e: https://twitter.com/easydiff/status/1103996517860429826

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 25, 2019

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

I'd actually pay more than superficial attention to sports if this was the case.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Fran may have a slightly different point, but all my post was really meant to express is that your very specific taste is just alien to me. Hard to put myself in your shoes.

I'm glad you posted your opinion of Hellraiser II, and also that you put the effort into responding to the expected backlash. I think you've done a good job explaining your feelings on it and its something that should definitely be encouraged in the horror thread.

Yeah, I was elaborating my perspective, which is that I strive to watch a lot of different types of movies and prefer films that eschew basic narrative structure and normal story-driven films. As I said with Easy Diff’s response, we have fundamentally different interests in films, it’s a moot point, because if they aren’t interested in broadening the types of films thru watch, I got nothing to work with.

The sports analogy doesn’t work with me. From my view, it’s like saying “When I eat, I only like eating steak, potatoes, broccoli. I tried a pizza once and hated it, will never eat a pizza again.”

The actual criticism of Hellraiser 2 is irrelevant to my point. I disagree with it, cuz I like 2 more than 1, but I don’t think it’s wrong and I appreciate the perspective.

It was how they defined what they think the intention of film that I think was shallow and ignores a hundred years of film history and thousands and thousands of important films that don’t meet that narrow criteria.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I think it’s incredibly limiting to write off entire films simply because they don’t meet some kind of arbitrary genre metric.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
A better analogy, thinking about it, is a person that likes to look at paintings, but ONLY likes still life and landscapes.

Like, yes, there are amazing still life and landscape paintings, and still life and landscapes are accessible and comforting. But that ignores hundreds of painting movements through the history of art and how painting has evolved since then and cultures that ignore still life and landscape in their art.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I knew a guy who ordered chicken tenders at every restaurant he went to. If the restaurant didn’t have chicken tenders, he would order an entree that had the closest resemblance to chicken tenders, and then reduce elements of the order until it was left in its most basic state.

One time a bunch of my friends and I went to a fancy, high-quality Tuscan bistro for a birthday party. Beautiful venue, located right on the water. Curated menus. The whole nine yards.

That guy I knew? Ordered the chicken Parmesan, hold the pasta, hold the sauce. I watched as he cut his chicken patty into strips.

“Why do you only eat chicken tenders?” I asked.

“I like chicken tenders,” he replied.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tart Kitty posted:

I knew a guy who ordered chicken tenders at every restaurant he went to. If the restaurant didn’t have chicken tenders, he would order an entree that had the closest resemblance to chicken tenders, and then reduce elements of the order until it was left in its most basic state.

One time a bunch of my friends and I went to a fancy, high-quality Tuscan bistro for a birthday party. Beautiful venue, located right on the water. Curated menus. The whole nine yards.

That guy I knew? Ordered the chicken Parmesan, hold the pasta, hold the sauce. I watched as he cut his chicken patty into strips.

don't doxx me bro

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a more analytical and curious mindset that people typically have when they go to look at more traditional forms of art(like paintings at a gallery), and not everyone looks at movies the same way. I know I didn't for a pretty big portion of my life. There was something that clicked with me about 10 years ago where I started enjoying the process of understanding a film and where it fits in with the others in film history and what it took to get those images on screen at the time when it was made. That's fun for me, but some people would rather spend their mental energy in other places, and that's ok too.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Tart Kitty posted:

too horrific even for this thread

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tart Kitty posted:

I think it’s incredibly limiting to write off entire films simply because they don’t meet some kind of arbitrary genre metric.
I don't think "has a recognizable narrative" is as limiting as you think. All I said was "I would like my movies to be about something and feature characters and a plot." That's not really all that limiting.

But I will concede, I do enjoy putting on my Aquarium blu-ray when I'm cleaning the house, so I guess I understand what you "it's a mood piece" people are on about.

Like, here's a list of my highest-rated "Very Popular" horror films on Criticker:

It's a very defensible list, everything there is an accepted "really good movie." Of them, only WWDITS is really plotless, and even then it does have the thru-line of Vladislav preparing to receive the award at the ceremony, and the preparations and fallout of that event.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Tart Kitty posted:

This would turn me into a slasher movie villain.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Easy Diff posted:

I don't think "has a recognizable narrative" is as limiting as you think. All I said was "I would like my movies to be about something and feature characters and a plot." That's not really all that limiting.

But I will concede, I do enjoy putting on my Aquarium blu-ray when I'm cleaning the house, so I guess I understand what you "it's a mood piece" people are on about.

Like, here's a list of my highest-rated "Very Popular" horror films on Criticker:

It's a very defensible list, everything there is an accepted "really good movie." Of them, only WWDITS is really plotless, and even then it does have the thru-line of Vladislav preparing to receive the award at the ceremony, and the preparations and fallout of that event.

Haha Doom House is ranked 2. That’s great.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Drunkboxer posted:

Haha Doom House is ranked 2. That’s great.

I know, it's really more of a thriller than a horror.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The only list I’d put Cabin In The Woods in is “Movies that Came Out in 2012”

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Hold the sauce" is just another level too, when you think about it. Like, sure chicken tenders can be ok but if that's all you ever eat, wouldn't you want various sauces to go with them? The dude was just eating dry chicken tenders every day with no sauce? Maybe he just didn't like marinara sauce. I hope.

I think college dining halls could do a better job of forcing people out of that, assuming they make it out of high school still addicted to chicken tenders. I knew several people who's picky eating habits got more extreme in college because all of the sudden they could just stroll down to the dining hall at any time of day and get chicken tenders/cheesesteaks/nachos/whatever garbage food. Make that poo poo like a one day a week special or something.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Darko posted:

This would turn me into a slasher movie villain.

I used to have a friend who would essentially do that. She was great company most of the time but we eventually stopped inviting her when we'd go out to eat.