Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

*Puts on my best hack stand up comedian outfit*

Vintersorg posted:

They are keeping people alive by giving them free happy meals for a 22 movie marathon.

https://nerdist.com/article/marvel-marathon-22-movies-nerdist-endgame/

Thanos won't be the only one with a bowel obstruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

DC Universe's Swamp Thing trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhtqTUZKzfM

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

teagone posted:

I could do the Cornetto trilogy in one sitting no problem.

Alamo Drafthouse in ATX did the entire Cornetto trilogy with a special menu a few years back and it owned, although The World's End really doesn't benefit from being seen right after the first two.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

*Puts on my best hack stand up comedian outfit*

Thanos won't be the only one with a bowel obstruction.

REPORT FOR DOODY

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Alamo Drafthouse in ATX did the entire Cornetto trilogy with a special menu a few years back and it owned, although The World's End really doesn't benefit from being seen right after the first two.

I had tickets to this is Denver and couldn't make it. I was so bummed out.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hmm. I'm into it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I once did an Alamo marathon of:

Bloodsport
Universal Soldier
Hard Target
Expendables 2

It was awesome.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
What exactly is the point of uninterrupted movie marathons?

Do people forget plot points if they wait a few days or hours for the next movie, or is it a self-hypnosis thing where tiredness is supposed to enhance the experience?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I am so baffled by Age of Ultron apologists.

https://twitter.com/bbw_bff/status/1121304094684041216?s=21

https://twitter.com/bbw_bff/status/1121317790118375424?s=21

https://twitter.com/bbw_bff/status/1121318632644939776?s=21

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wonder how much overlap there is with unironic fans of Bayformers.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Ghost Leviathan posted:

bay and whedon are about as far from each other stylistically as you can get, so, not much

this tepid excuse for a burn might've worked if you were referring to snyder

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I don’t think Age of Ultron was necessary the warcrime many make it out to be, but it’s not a good film.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd think they're more or less opposite groups; one aesthetic offers too little and becomes bland, the other offers too much to the extent of becoming incomprehensible

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yeah, there are many things you could accuse Bay of being, but bland is not one of them. If nothing else, he's a high contrast filmmaker.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

the visual characteristics of the respective directors have already been talked about but it should also be noted that Age of Ultron is very much a movie aimed at appeasing nerds/fans, directed by a nerd/fan. Michael Bay could not give less of a gently caress about a Transformers fan, so he's probably drawing from a diametrically opposite audience (as far as "people who enjoy action blockbusters" go, anyways)

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
Cornetto marathon was great, I can recommend it. But take that with a grain of salt, as it's coming from someone who really enjoys the marathon setting -- I watched GotG2, BP, Thor:R and AMatW this Monday on my day off.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I did all 6 star trek movies when I was a kid and home sick one day, it wasn't too bad because you can basically tune out entirely on 3/5 and then bounce back right after for a good one

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It’s a cult of personality thing. There are plenty of people out there who honestly believe Marvel has released no bad movies. They’re usually easy to spot by their Sebastian Stan twitter icons.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Sebastian Stan has only been in the good Marvel movies though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'd think they're more or less opposite groups; one aesthetic offers too little and becomes bland, the other offers too much to the extent of becoming incomprehensible

DC Murderverse posted:

the visual characteristics of the respective directors have already been talked about but it should also be noted that Age of Ultron is very much a movie aimed at appeasing nerds/fans, directed by a nerd/fan. Michael Bay could not give less of a gently caress about a Transformers fan, so he's probably drawing from a diametrically opposite audience (as far as "people who enjoy action blockbusters" go, anyways)

These are both sensible arguments. I figured more in the sense that they like movies where they don't have to think about things, though in TF's case it's more that thinking about things is pointless because they can't even be bothered with a MCU level of consistency, despite putting an incredible amount of effort into the visual design and spectacle.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ghost Leviathan posted:

These are both sensible arguments. I figured more in the sense that they like movies where they don't have to think about things, though in TF's case it's more that thinking about things is pointless because they can't even be bothered with a MCU level of consistency, despite putting an incredible amount of effort into the visual design and spectacle.

As opposed to the MCU which rewards studious interpretation..?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Today's treat was some apple juice.

A literal childrens day care is happening right now.

These are coming from a Sideshow Toys group I am a part of.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Only the best for marvel movies :lol:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

My favorite part of Age of Ultron is it thinking it's going out of its way to be the antithesis of Man of Steel by having Tony Stark buy the property he's about to demolish. But instead of it being a statement against that film, it becomes some incredibly horrible and creepy thing where this Billionaire libertarian can literally buy any piece of property he wants and destroy it on a whim, regardless if it's on sale or not. And the Black Widow/Banner poo poo was awful. "I can't have kids, so I'm a monster." - written by feminist and humanist icon Joss Whedon.

I watched this film recently so it's kind of fresh in my memory and it's not even half the movie the first Avengers is. Somehow it looks worse, the effects are worse, the dialogue is bad. The only saving grace in that film is James Spader and he's just wasted as Ultron.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Jimbot posted:

And the Black Widow/Banner poo poo was awful. "I can't have kids, so I'm a monster." - written by feminist and humanist icon Joss Whedon.

It’s amazing in hindsight how loving awful Whedon was at writing female characters - and somehow fooled people by making those characters good at fighting.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Crackbone posted:

It’s amazing in hindsight how loving awful Whedon was at writing female characters - and somehow fooled people by making those characters good at fighting.

I mean, he's a guy who made his reputation literally 20 years ago based on a couple TV shows. Society has moved on. Also he just seems to be a lot loving lazier now in terms of both writing and visuals, and there aren't many people anymore who can tell him "no" when he wants to do something creepy or just really dumb.

e: I don't want to oversell the character development of loving Buffy, or the visual flair of Firefly, but he's been continuously backsliding ever since that point in terms of the actual quality of his stuff.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 25, 2019

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

YaketySass posted:

What exactly is the point of uninterrupted movie marathons?

Do people forget plot points if they wait a few days or hours for the next movie, or is it a self-hypnosis thing where tiredness is supposed to enhance the experience?

It's fun dude. Might as well ask why people go to music festivals.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Age of Ultron was bad but that line was supposed to be more like "they turned me into a weapon and removed everything not relevant to that" not "I'm a monster because I'm sterile".

Or maybe Whedon's even shittier than I thought idk

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Maybe, but the way it is written is very unclear and it comes immediately after Banner saying he's sterile.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The “infertile monster” bit is, at least, well-intentioned but badly written. Even if it’s not referring to Nat being trained as a killer, and is referring to her infertility, it’s more about her insecurity over it than Whedon implying that not being able to have babies makes you useless.

What should have been the bigger controversy in that movie is Tony stating that if he lifts Mjolnir, he will be “reinstating Prima Nocta,” which is absolutely a rape joke.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Sebastian Stan has only been in the good Marvel movies though.

Well, except for Civil War.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

RBA Starblade posted:

Evergreen opinion, tbh

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

The “infertile monster” bit is, at least, well-intentioned but badly written. Even if it’s not referring to Nat being trained as a killer, and is referring to her infertility, it’s more about her insecurity over it than Whedon implying that not being able to have babies makes you useless.

What should have been the bigger controversy in that movie is Tony stating that if he lifts Mjolnir, he will be “reinstating Prima Nocta,” which is absolutely a rape joke.

I had to look up what this means, and yeah it's massive levels of super yikes. I never realized Tony Stark literally jokes about wanting to be a rapist. Which considering the kind of person Whedon is I am not surprised he wrote that line.

RBA Starblade posted:

Age of Ultron was bad but that line was supposed to be more like "they turned me into a weapon and removed everything not relevant to that" not "I'm a monster because I'm sterile".

He is shittier then you think. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt but I can't. Whedon absolutely was saying with that scene that Natasha is a monster for being sterile. If you need further proof, look up his proposed script for the Wonder Woman movie with Gal Gadot. Warner Brothers rejected it because it was a sexist piece of poo poo script.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 25, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Tony Stark: Warlord Of Wall Street

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jenny Agutter posted:

It's fun dude. Might as well ask why people go to music festivals.

These two things are not even remotely the same.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Vintersorg posted:

They are keeping people alive by giving them free happy meals for a 22 movie marathon.

https://nerdist.com/article/marvel-marathon-22-movies-nerdist-endgame/

It strikes me that the term "marathon" is only applicable to the endurance aspect of these events. "Binge" is way more on point.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

These two things are not even remotely the same.

Yeah I doubt its better than the 20 minutes I saw of Brother Ali

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know what Marvel has always had a problem with?

Good music

You know what King of the Monsters just kicked the poo poo in with?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOO8Um_jmLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGqeBGQs_fs

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cruising the information superhighway

ynohtna posted:

It strikes me that the term "marathon" is only applicable to the endurance aspect of these events. "Binge" is way more on point.

I will accept "overdose"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Burkion posted:

You know what Marvel has always had a problem with?

Good music

You know what King of the Monsters just kicked the poo poo in with?

:eyepop: And it's a cover of the Blue Öyster Cult song too.