Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Bonzo posted:

Heathers? I mean why not pick The Big Chill or something.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Chill_(film)

Tomorrow night, Earth Girls are Easy! followed by The A-List, The A-List, and Def Comedy Jam! then at 8, Earth Girls are Easy! and at 10, Earth Girls are Easy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Boomers love Ed, and like Edd, but they loving HATE Eddy.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Well yeah you obviously move once. If you have the misfortune of being born in a shithole like chicago or california you move to a normal place where you can buy a house and send your kids to schools without fearing for their safety

Giving free desperate handies to boomers by joining in on youth bashing is just about the dumbest strategy a person could choose, since no generation is likely to give you absolutely nothing in return for it more than them. Like they're probably not even going to give you the dignity of cumming on your little weasel hands and will insult your handjob technique while you do it.

What I'm getting at is your avatar suits you.

Grape fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 25, 2019

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kunabomber posted:

Supporting are troopcops and voting for more war and in the same breath talk about how they faked medical issues to avoid the Vietnam war

Trump
Ted Nugent
Rush Limbaugh
GW Bush, Cheney, Rumsfield there's a metric fuckton of republican chicken Hawks.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Boomers are the reason we have Parental Advisory stickers on CDs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parents_Music_Resource_Center

Oh and um......buying CDs. Specially reissues like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84L7wRSg2Vk

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EipdAjhImrc

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Bonzo posted:

Boomers are the reason we have Parental Advisory stickers on CDs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parents_Music_Resource_Center

Oh and um......buying CDs. Specially reissues like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84L7wRSg2Vk

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EipdAjhImrc

I feel like the truest Boomer music isn't 60's stuff, but instead banal bro-rock and saccharine harmony laden pap from the 70's. Like Three Dog Night and Captain & Tennille.
The stuff that wasn't their youth so much as their 20's and early 30's.
When they lost what little quality they had and truly began to become the beasts we know.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Grape posted:

I feel like the truest Boomer music isn't 60's stuff, but instead banal bro-rock and saccharine harmony laden pap from the 70's. Like Three Dog Night and Captain & Tennille.
The stuff that wasn't their youth so much as their 20's and early 30's.
When they lost what little quality they had and truly began to become the beasts we know.

There are two types of boomers, The early ones who are the 60's people and the second group who are the people who were 20 in the 80's
and yeah that 70's stuff is what they like, but they don't like genre's or even bands; it's just a never ending deluge of songs that only exist on the radio that nobody knows the name of because Djs never tell you. So a lot of Fleetwood mac and the Eagles with some of carol king's Tapestry throw in.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

There are two types of boomers, The early ones who are the 60's people and the second group who are the people who were 20 in the 80's
and yeah that 70's stuff is what they like, but they don't like genre's or even bands; it's just a never ending deluge of songs that only exist on the radio that nobody knows the name of because Djs never tell you. So a lot of Fleetwood mac and the Eagles with some of carol king's Tapestry throw in.

Lots of bands were regional hits as well. Most of the "dad rock" went over better in the midwest flyover states. You'd never see the New York Dolls playing Boise but you better believe Foghat was there every 9 months.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Senor P. posted:

How the hell are you going to sign your name if you don't know cursive?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Contrasted with his predecessor's:

He changed it for most of his tenure as Treasury Secretary. Not surprising, because it was somehow news in 2013.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Carol King rules though. I suspect the semi-anonymous and criminally bad dad rock you're thinking of is mostly Supertramp, Styx, Gerry Rafferty, and solo Paul McCartney

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Literally every song on classic rock radio you don't know the name of but hate enough to change the station after three notes is Supertramp.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

Carol King rules though. I suspect the semi-anonymous and criminally bad dad rock you're thinking of is mostly Supertramp, Styx, Gerry Rafferty, and solo Paul McCartney

Errrrgh ooh gently caress you're right.

gently caress the song "hay jude."

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

bitterandtwisted posted:

...bay parked ....Boot access...

Lmfao

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Supertramp is fun though. They make me want to try kippers with eggs.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Magnitogorsk. posted:

moving to a new city to achieve a quality standard of life for their family instead of stubbornly staying put in a lovely, overcrowded area where they know they are financially doomed for life

Serious question. Do you think Red-lining and White Flight are engineered conspiracies?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

The Dregs posted:

Supertramp is fun though. They make me want to try kippers with eggs.

it's good

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

breakfast in america is a guilty pleasure of mine. then again i've never been subjected to supertramp over and over on the radio

i'll hand over my millennial card i guess

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
sniffing their granddaughters' hair
mayo pete buttgreg
doc martin
inheriting money from their dead parents and buying a 3,000 square foot home that millennialz won't buy

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

I like the Logical Song.

But I've always kind of grated my teeth when Take the Long Way Home comes on.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Grape posted:

I like the Logical Song.

But I've always kind of grated my teeth when Take the Long Way Home comes on.

i get that tbh

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Supertramp can definitely be irritatingly bland, but they're self aware and I can always hear that. I can't roll my eyes too much about that.

Now STYX on the other hand...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc6f_2nPSX8

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

- christmas songs

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

- christmas songs

You can take "Im getting nothing for christmas" from my cold, dead hands

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

You Are A Elf posted:

Was talking with a Boomer at work about a movie that had Jane Fonda in it.

"You couldn't pay me 500 billion dollars to watch a movie with ~*HANOOOI JAAANE*~ in it!"

Dude, that poo poo is like half a loving century old. I nearly lol'd at the mention of "Hanoi Jane" in TYOOL 2019.

Look at this loving loser who deprived himself of Barbarella.

Iron Crowned posted:

What even is the point of these anyway? It's not like I know who your dumbass kid was, let alone why dedicate your entire car to them?

I once saw a car that had the ultimate dead kid sticker. It was this tiny purple Honda that was rusting to poo poo and in addition to some oversized "RIP [dead kid]" decals, the entire hood of the car was covered by a massive sticker that was a picture of his face. Dead people stickers are sad, weird, and tacky as gently caress. I don't even think it's specific to boomers. When I was in high school people wore dead kid t-shirts too, that was sort of the start of when people started doing the stickers on their cars.

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

All this talk about lovely dad rock bands and not a one of you mentioned Journey or Boston.

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Grape posted:

Supertramp can definitely be irritatingly bland, but they're self aware and I can always hear that. I can't roll my eyes too much about that.

Now STYX on the other hand...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc6f_2nPSX8

Truth. I can't handle Styx man, it's too much. That super busy and cluttered approach so many musicians took during the 70s/ early 80s sounds like absolute poo poo tbh.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

poo poo boomers watch: The loving Cosby Show.

This loving channel: Me TV
https://www.metv.com/shows/

Dead on with the Me TV, I think it's on most of the day at my parents house and my one friend who's too young to be a real boomer but too old to be gen x loves it too.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Boomers love their Satan conspiracies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bntfUA6TmLs

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

- christmas songs

SEEMPLY HAVING
A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS TIME

SEEMPLY HAVING

SEEMPLY HAVING

SEEMPLY HAVING

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Remember that whole thing about playing music backwards to find hidden messages? Occasionally a band would put something like that on their record for kicks, but there was a whole movement that proclaimed that there were devil messages and your brain is so advanced that it can play the music backward in your head as you listen to it normally and still get infected by the devil messages.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Local Weather posted:

Dead on with the Me TV, I think it's on most of the day at my parents house and my one friend who's too young to be a real boomer but too old to be gen x loves it too.

Don't be besmirching my Charlie's Angels delivery method

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Peanut Butter posted:

Truth. I can't handle Styx man, it's too much. That super busy and cluttered approach so many musicians took during the 70s/ early 80s sounds like absolute poo poo tbh.

And I think the late 70's/early 80's was the golden age of rock music.... except very fuckin' little of that was being made in the US, and got very little attention.
The Boomers here really established a monopoly on rock music press and attention that they STILL hold today (Rolling Stone being the example) and so aside from some blips on the radar, very little after like 1973 or so gets huge attention, and what does is lovely dad rock or token Gen X/New Wave/Punk bands.

British Boomers clearly suck horribly, but I don't think the UK has had to deal with this particular issue.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
As far as boomer music goes, Jimmy Buffett is king. If you ever want to be the Pied Piper of the boomers, you'll have to play Jimmy Buffett songs and they'll follow you to their doom.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Boomers love skittering into warm, dark places to lay a clutch of eggs. They're attracted to the carbon dioxide you exhale during sleep, so that's why their bites tend to cluster around your mouth.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

FlimFlam Imam posted:

As far as boomer music goes, Jimmy Buffett is king. If you ever want to be the Pied Piper of the boomers, you'll have to play Jimmy Buffett songs and they'll follow you to their doom.

The source of my avatar nailed it when they said, "He's mellow, but not smooth. Kinda lovely."

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Boomers love having HUGE key-rings full of 500 different keys jangling from the clip on the belt loop of their relaxed-fit Wrangler jeans like they're a 1930s prison officer at San Quentin. Most of the keys most likely don't even open any locks anymore as said Boomer had changed locks in the '70s and '80s, but they keep the key on the key-ring "just in case I need it."

That same belt on their relaxed-fit Wrangler jeans also sports a carrying case for their Consumer Cellular phone.

CPL593H posted:

All this talk about lovely dad rock bands and not a one of you mentioned Journey or Boston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD8ffB9JU64

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Rad-daddio posted:

Remember that whole thing about playing music backwards to find hidden messages? Occasionally a band would put something like that on their record for kicks, but there was a whole movement that proclaimed that there were devil messages and your brain is so advanced that it can play the music backward in your head as you listen to it normally and still get infected by the devil messages.

I went to a church youth group thing and they talked about this and played a bunch of "examples" of it. It didn't pass the sniff test for my 9 year old self, but these grown adults honestly believed this warbly nonsense was going to convince us kids to worship satan and smoke marijuana.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I actually like jimmy buffet

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I like Boston. They're weird because they sound like rock music that was designed and assembled in a factory. Every note and lyric is perfect and they have exactly zero soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Jimmy Buffett just introduced Jimmy Buffett(R) branded Coral Reefer weed since Florida made it legal.

Boomers love to say weed is bad for you, but it's definitely okay for me, even Jimmy Buffett says so!