Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Can't get the theme song out of my head

I added it to my everyday playlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Every week I am relieved that the spark is still there and by this point I'm pretty satisfied the show is going to make it as its own thing beyond the novelty of being an adaptation of the film. Simon introducing his crew was fantastic, it just kept going!

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Nick Kroll is usually pretty perfect for roles exactly like Simon the Devious

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Milo and POTUS posted:

Can't get the theme song out of my head

I did a cursory google such of it, and couldn't believe that it was 50 years old. I totally thought it was some indie song from the last couple of years.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

I did a cursory google such of it, and couldn't believe that it was 50 years old. I totally thought it was some indie song from the last couple of years.

Had the exact same reaction when I first saw the movie and the song got trapped in my head.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I looked the song up and I was astounded it was the original. For some reason, just from the sound of it I assumed it was like, a cover or remix or something.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Really laughed at how Lazlow was right and Simon really was super jealous of the hat.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Holy crap, she was Dusty Springfield's girlfriend. And also still alive at 80.

Why don't we have a brain exploding smiley cos I need one right now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

We still have :psypop:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Wow this whole time I assumed it was a White Strips or Jack White song. In fact I was sure I had heard it before on one of his albums and recognized it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

Good to see Energy Vampire joining the main cast, at least for now. He could've been a one-time thing

I just noticed that in the opening sequence there's a bunch of pictures of Colin in basically the same pose, wearing slightly different suits with wider lapels and ties from the 70s, 20s, etc.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Colin gonna save them from super vamp at end of season and they're going to hate it

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Imagine the medieval equivalent of Colin, chasing peasants around the farms to bore them to sleep with dreary lectures about how their humors are out of balance.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

YaketySass posted:

Imagine the medieval equivalent of Colin, chasing peasants around the farms to bore them to sleep with dreary lectures about how their humors are out of balance.

"God's Truth, they say these new bronze tools will enable thee to work 15% more efficiently but remindest me to share a manuscript I read the other week on the topic ..."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

YaketySass posted:

"I don't know why we bother. We're all just going to die in a plague anyway."

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's amazing how an otherwise prosaic Boring Office Guy gag is suddenly endlessly funny just by making him a vampire.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

It's amazing how an otherwise prosaic Boring Office Guy gag is suddenly endlessly funny just by making him a vampire.

I still laugh every so often thinking of,"REMIND ME TO SEND YOU AN ARTICLE I READ ON SLATE ON THE MILLENNIAL HOUSING CRISIS!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jerusalem posted:

I still laugh every so often thinking of,"REMIND ME TO SEND YOU AN ARTICLE I READ ON SLATE ON THE MILLENNIAL HOUSING CRISIS!"

Matt Berry summoning a raccoon army with his oboe is the bit that keeps popping into my head and making me laugh

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love how cheap but perfect it was that he tells us he got bit, teleports directly to the camera, shows his finger which is unmarked, and says,"But it's already healed, see!"

Edit: Also, "Is this a message from MS-13?"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jerusalem posted:

I love how cheap but perfect it was that he tells us he got bit, teleports directly to the camera, shows his finger which is unmarked, and says,"But it's already healed, see!"

https://i.imgur.com/0PJprFj.mp4

From the same episode:
https://i.imgur.com/v6ImVVs.mp4
Edit: everyone's reactions in this one are spot on

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 20, 2019

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another little funny bit is how when Lazlow was getting dragged by the taxi way in the background you see that the hat has fallen off and starts scooting after the departing car.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

muscles like this! posted:

Another little funny bit is how when Lazlow was getting dragged by the taxi way in the background you see that the hat has fallen off and starts scooting after the departing car.

I like that the cab stops when the hat falls off, but as soon as he picks it up and puts it back on, the taxi starts dragging him again.

And since it was such a list, the AV Club review listed the entirety of Simon's crew (though I feel like one's missing)

quote:

Big Vlad, Abbadon, Apusa, the Freak Sisters (no relation), Little Vlad, Mister Fifties, S for Sara, Evil Steve, Freakfest Tony, Blaglad the Exsanguinator, the Silent One, Asian Mike, Chunt, Jane the Soulless, Elgrad the Fifth, Hovark the Pitmaster, Gunfrappel and his brother Kirlsak, Wesley Sikes, Desdemona the Shrieker, Len the Accountant, and Count Rapula.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I have been listening to Norma Tanega for several days now because of this show. Heads up, the rest of her music is just as good as the intro music for the show.

Jorgos Nuuh
Dec 28, 2004
Pröööööt

Mob posted:

When she said that it cut to a painting, and my girlfriend recognized it as a pretty famous painting I can't remember the name of, but it depicts a woman who seduces the leader of a country she's warring with and beheads him, and the guy in the painting is legit named Gregor as well

I think it was Caravaggio, Judith and Holofernes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

(though I feel like one's missing)

It might be that when it mentions Little Vlad, it doesn't point out that he's a loving maniac!

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

So, this is pretty much the best show involving Vampire: the Masquerade without actually using the license. I've ran VTM campaigns where the second episode is a thing that tends to happen and everything involving that Witchskin hat is very VTM campaign gone silly.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

It might be that when it mentions Little Vlad, it doesn't point out that he's a loving maniac!

Or that Count Rapula only started rapping in 1991.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Uh uh uh uh uh... Jeff

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Episode 4 was the best one so far.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I love that the animal control staff take the longest for Colin to wear down. Those folks have seen some poo poo, literal and otherwise.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Canned Panda posted:

Uh uh uh uh uh... Jeff
This caused like a full minute of laughing out loud. I can’t believe how good this show is, I really like that it subverts the base jokes of most mockumentaries: “person confidently says something in interview, followed by footage of them repeatedly failing.” The vampires are all idiots but they’re really good at being vampires. Or like Nadia being obsessed with some random parking attendant but it turns out he really is the reincarnation of Gregor, there on Staten Island.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

This caused like a full minute of laughing out loud. I can’t believe how good this show is, I really like that it subverts the base jokes of most mockumentaries: “person confidently says something in interview, followed by footage of them repeatedly failing.” The vampires are all idiots but they’re really good at being vampires. Or like Nadia being obsessed with some random parking attendant but it turns out he really is the reincarnation of Gregor, there on Staten Island.

I lost it at Gregor being a horse in one of his past lives. Nadja was great this episode.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Interesting that these vampires apparently have heartbeats.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Canned Panda posted:

Uh uh uh uh uh... Jeff

Jeeee...ughh

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked how Jeff's "Gregor" voice was pretty much him doing a Chris Hemsworth Thor impression.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Canned Panda posted:

Uh uh uh uh uh... Jeff

As a Jeff this hurts and is too true. :(

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

qirex posted:

Yeah, it also serves to make their failure to conquer...anything in several hundred years of living in America all the more funny. Because their powers actually work, but just because you get superpowers/become a creature OF the niiiiight doesn't make you smarter. Any idiot could become a vampire, and these guys are so self absorbed and shallow that they can't get poo poo done. Even the one who actually conquered stuff.

Of course, this seems to be true in universe of most vampires, which is why none of them have done more than corner the Manhattan night club scene.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

In the nightclub with all the vampires was the implication there meant to be that he had sired most of them?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I like how Nandor clearly doesn’t have the ability to hypnotize people like Nadja and Lazlow but still firmly states he does :drac: “I can hypnotize people only into doing what they already want to do” then Nadja walks in and gets the code instantly :laffo: Also the rat pile scene was actually a little freaky so it’s great that they still adhere to horror tropes even during comedy

Senor Tron posted:

In the nightclub with all the vampires was the implication there meant to be that he had sired most of them?

Yes and I was dying that they all had the most 90’s Vampire the Masquerade nicknames possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I lost it at Gregor being a horse in one of his past lives. Nadja was great this episode.

Yeah I assumed the joke was "Nadja is obsessed with this one guy and mistakenly thinks she finds his reincarnation in increasingly dumb places" but nope, she really can track him down. :v: