Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

boomers hate when you speak unamerican, trap sprung old man :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pan-Africanism

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Justice: The history books divorcing psychedelia and sunshine pop from representing the Boomers, and replacing it with Yacht rock.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Saying the N-word to me like I'm in on it or something.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Bonaventure posted:

Boomers love skittering into warm, dark places to lay a clutch of eggs. They're attracted to the carbon dioxide you exhale during sleep, so that's why their bites tend to cluster around your mouth.

They love doing this, yet constantly fight to keep people from laying eggs in the open. Bunch of hypocrites.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Leon Einstein posted:

I went to a church youth group thing and they talked about this and played a bunch of "examples" of it. It didn't pass the sniff test for my 9 year old self, but these grown adults honestly believed this warbly nonsense was going to convince us kids to worship satan and smoke marijuana.

The hilarious irony is that this poo poo probably turned all kinds of kids into "bad behavior" and "devil music" by making it seem way cooler in comparison to their boring uptight bullshit. It's kind of like the D.A.R.E. program. Nothing's cooler than having a cop come to your school telling you that smoking weed ends with you dying in a flophouse after ODing on heroin. By the time kids get to high school they already knew that "gateway drug" thing was utter bullshit.

Chief McHeath posted:

Jimmy Buffett just introduced Jimmy Buffett(R) branded Coral Reefer weed since Florida made it legal.

Boomers love to say weed is bad for you, but it's definitely okay for me, even Jimmy Buffett says so!

Boomers were doing drugs and loving casually but when they got to middle age suddenly those things were evil and none of their kids should do them ever! This is probably the genesis of their whole "gently caress you, got mine." attitude that is so pervasive in their generation.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The cop that did DARE knew my dad and they went shooting guns together sometime on the weekends. I believe my dad sold drugs when he was younger.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Moridin920 posted:

The city of Riverside is basically entirely a commuter town in which people regularly drive 1-3 hours one way to get to work in San Diego or LA. That's one half the city, anyway. Everyone else living there is probably poor and/or on meth. UC Riverside is smack dab in the poo poo part of town although they've been gussying it up of late.

Southern California is a hell nightmare of driving.

Also most students at UCR commute home on the weekends so it is a dead lovely school on weekends with nothing to do and there isn't even a football team :(

I drive an hour from the desert to get into Riverside for work. My school is within walking distance of UCR. The area has changed a lot in the last 25 years, mostly for the better. As UCR expands, the area around it improves to support it.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

CPL593H posted:

It's kind of like the D.A.R.E. program.

I remember then coming to my school when I was like 7 or 8, and they had a huge display with like every kind of drug you can imagine. It just made me think drugs looked awesome. Then they tried to get kids to rat out their parents.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

CPL593H posted:

The hilarious irony is that this poo poo probably turned all kinds of kids into "bad behavior" and "devil music" by making it seem way cooler in comparison to their boring uptight bullshit. It's kind of like the D.A.R.E. program. Nothing's cooler than having a cop come to your school telling you that smoking weed ends with you dying in a flophouse after ODing on heroin. By the time kids get to high school they already knew that "gateway drug" thing was utter bullshit.

DARE came to my grade school and told us that those evil drug dealers were putting LSD on temporary tattoos

of course for the next week or so the cool thing was to come to school w/ a bunch of temp tattoos on

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

That right there is a no fucks given move.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Genesplicer posted:

I drive an hour from the desert to get into Riverside for work. My school is within walking distance of UCR. The area has changed a lot in the last 25 years, mostly for the better. As UCR expands, the area around it improves to support it.

Is the Salton Sea nice this time of year?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

DARE came to my grade school and told us that those evil drug dealers were putting LSD on temporary tattoos

of course for the next week or so the cool thing was to come to school w/ a bunch of temp tattoos on

In 8th grade (so 1987ish?) they showed up a filmstrip about drugs and one of the scenes was with lyrics from Smokin' by Boston overlayed on a still shot of a large rock festival crowd. Since this was the south I guess it was some attempt to keep kids form smoking which LOL because this was Kentucky and we had teachers hand out pop quizzes just so they could grab a smoke in the lounge.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Is the Salton Sea nice this time of year?

I don't live near there, thankfully. During the summer, when the temp is high and the wind is just right, I can get a whiff of it. I live closer to Palm Springs, and can see the windmill farms from my back yard.

Bonzo posted:

In 8th grade (so 1987ish?) they showed up a filmstrip about drugs and one of the scenes was with lyrics from Smokin' by Boston overlayed on a still shot of a large rock festival crowd. Since this was the south I guess it was some attempt to keep kids form smoking which LOL because this was Kentucky and we had teachers hand out pop quizzes just so they could grab a smoke in the lounge.

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

Leon Einstein posted:

I remember then coming to my school when I was like 7 or 8, and they had a huge display with like every kind of drug you can imagine. It just made me think drugs looked awesome. Then they tried to get kids to rat out their parents.

CPL593H posted:

Boomers were doing drugs and loving casually but when they got to middle age suddenly those things were evil and none of their kids should do them ever! This is probably the genesis of their whole "gently caress you, got mine." attitude that is so pervasive in their generation.

Pity the poor teachers who have/had to teach that poo poo. At least I tried to downplay all the absurd nonsense that was in the script the district/state required me to read.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

jokes posted:

The cop that did DARE knew my dad and they went shooting guns together sometime on the weekends. I believe my dad sold drugs when he was younger.

The cop that did DARE when I was in 6th grade got busted selling pot to high schoolers immediately next door to the middle school he was teaching DARE at.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Boomers love trying to switch entire catering menus that have been set in stone for months like a week before the function because someone's grandma is coming and "we don't think she'll like that stuff."

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Genesplicer posted:

I don't live near there, thankfully. During the summer, when the temp is high and the wind is just right, I can get a whiff of it. I live closer to Palm Springs, and can see the windmill farms from my back yard.

Pity the poor teachers who have/had to teach that poo poo. At least I tried to downplay all the absurd nonsense that was in the script the district/state required me to read.

It would've been nice to have real information about drugs growing up. Good on you for trying to counteract that poo poo.

How bad would it have affected your career if you just told them to shove the whole dare program?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

Yeah we had that too. There was this weird panic about temporary tattoos in the early 90s. I remember an ice cream place near my school had a flyer you saw when you walked in explaining about this totally real thing that was happening. They warned you not to take temporary tattoos from anyone, especially if they were wrapped in aluminium foil. The flyer also had a list of characters that would be on the drug tattoos and it was basically every popular cartoon of the time. Even as a kid it sounded like bullshit. How the gently caress did people believe this. People are totally going to give away drugs for free, for no reason!

Genesplicer posted:

They still have the loving DARE program? Hasn't it been proven to be completely ineffective?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

CPL593H posted:

How the gently caress did people believe this. People are totally going to give away drugs for free, for no reason!

They'll lace your cheap marijuana with expensive cocaine and never mention it! Because...... Because they're EVIL! And bad at money management!

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it did make sense to press your e pills with some meth tho cause that really was cheaper than mdma in the day

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DARE wasnt "not effective", it was negatively effective. It bolstered drug usage.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DARE is basically just drug education. Not drug prevention, but definitely drug education.

Basically, like most thing Boomers did to "protect kids" it had the exact opposite result and will never be shut down because Boomers are convinced that to shut it down would be to be anti-kid protection. Like if you were to shut down abstinence education you'd be pro child sex.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
get yo weed get yo blow get yo drank together cause we about to get hiiiiighhh

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxJy4GEFbDg

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

CPL593H posted:

I once saw a car that had the ultimate dead kid sticker. It was this tiny purple Honda that was rusting to poo poo and in addition to some oversized "RIP [dead kid]" decals, the entire hood of the car was covered by a massive sticker that was a picture of his face. Dead people stickers are sad, weird, and tacky as gently caress. I don't even think it's specific to boomers. When I was in high school people wore dead kid t-shirts too, that was sort of the start of when people started doing the stickers on their cars.

My boomer aunt is super-Christian and obsessed with death. 90% of her Facebook posts are pictures of angel gowns/tuxedos and memory bears that she has sewn.

Angel gowns and tuxedos are little white outfits custom made for your stillborn child. People dress the dead babies up, and take pictures with them. It's horrifying, I can't imagine when I would want to pull out a photo of my dead baby in a tuxedo.

Memory bears are stuffed animals made out of the clothing of a child's dead parent. My aunt takes the dead parent's favorite outfit, and then cuts it up and constructs about 8 bears of varying sizes, and then gives them to the kids. This really seems like the perfect way to traumatize your child and make sure they never get over their parent's death.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Tip posted:

My boomer aunt is super-Christian and obsessed with death. 90% of her Facebook posts are pictures of angel gowns/tuxedos and memory bears that she has sewn.

Angel gowns and tuxedos are little white outfits custom made for your stillborn child. People dress the dead babies up, and take pictures with them. It's horrifying, I can't imagine when I would want to pull out a photo of my dead baby in a tuxedo.

Memory bears are stuffed animals made out of the clothing of a child's dead parent. My aunt takes the dead parent's favorite outfit, and then cuts it up and constructs about 8 bears of varying sizes, and then gives them to the kids. This really seems like the perfect way to traumatize your child and make sure they never get over their parent's death.

That reminds me of the Victorian tradition of propping up your dead relative to get one last pic together with them.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Tip posted:

i absolutely would not have wanted one of those as a kid. jfc

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CPL593H posted:

All of the Boomers' pop culture heroes were doing all of the drugs all the time. To be fair though, so were ours.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hunter s thompson was a good boomer

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he made good jokes and books and stuff

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Rad-daddio posted:

That reminds me of the Victorian tradition of propping up your dead relative to get one last pic together with them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Tip posted:

This is gross, weird, and creepy. What a loving nutcase.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Everybody mourns differently. I can't imagine how devastating it would be to have a stillborn child, so it's kind of unreasonable to pass judgment on how parents might cope.

Usually people have photos of a loved one before they pass away, but this isn't the case for a stillbirth. People get sentimental about other people who have died imagine that?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

marijuanamancer posted:

hunter s thompson was a good boomer

Cursed comment. HST was getting beat up by the Hell's Angels when most boomers were still in diapers. I'd ask you not to sully his name like that.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Laterite posted:

Cursed comment. HST was getting beat up by the Hell's Angels when most boomers were still in diapers. I'd ask you not to sully his name like that.
yeah HST was silent generation. i can see why people can make that mistake because there is pretty big boomer overlap, and like HST was influential in early formative years of boombers (but taking ofc the wrong ideas) and a 60s-70+ cultural icon. silent gen was really the beatniks and the gonzo, the early rock n roll, and that sort of thing.

and really overall silent gen seemed to suck equally as hard so it kinda just blurs together and probably just semantical bullshit to really try to distinguish them.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
beat gen owns but there were a lot of privileged, misogynist jackoffs

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Panfilo posted:

Everybody mourns differently. I can't imagine how devastating it would be to have a stillborn child, so it's kind of unreasonable to pass judgment on how parents might cope.

Usually people have photos of a loved one before they pass away, but this isn't the case for a stillbirth. People get sentimental about other people who have died imagine that?

I was referring to the aunt's behavior which seems kind of ghoulish. And for what it's worth my father died when I was very young and I would not have liked someone giving me a bunch of teddy bears made out of his old clothes.

STrooperTK421
Aug 1, 2010

redgubbinz posted:

...When the last Cracker Barrel closes and the company folds, you will know the Boomers are truly gone.

And PLEASE let that day be soon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CPL593H posted:

I was referring to the aunt's behavior which seems kind of ghoulish. And for what it's worth my father died when I was very young and I would not have liked someone giving me a bunch of teddy bears made out of his old clothes.

Untimely death of close family, let alone children, can easily make people crazy. We've had at least one case in this thread of someone who outlived their wife and child and consensus basically was 'You have a license to drink yourself to death, goddamn'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Untimely death of close family, let alone children, can easily make people crazy. We've had at least one case in this thread of someone who outlived their wife and child and consensus basically was 'You have a license to drink yourself to death, goddamn'.

Yeah but if you're making dresses for the liquor bottles made out of their dead wife's clothes, you're a psycho