Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

Can we atleast agree that for the most part, they nailed it?

Under no circumstance do you "gotta hand it to them"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

At the end of the film cap specifically goes to give the other timelines back their things. The timelines are somewhat affected but the Avengers clearly do care about them and do their best to put things right.

I was being hyperbolic, or facetious? Either way, a lot what happened in the alternate timelines was circumstantial anyways.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Uncle Wemus posted:

Under no circumstance do you "gotta hand it to them"

Lol true. This movie is going to make like $3 billion dollars.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Tom Tucker posted:

Also someone in the back of my theater yelled out spoilers during quiet moments in the first few minutes and I was annoyed but a kid near me was really heartbroken to have the movie spoiled :(

How much of an rear end in a top hat do you have to be to pay for the pleasure of spoiling a movie for folks...

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Did we really get any hulk smashing poo poo in the final act at all?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I said come in! posted:

lol your terrible fan fiction is not better than what we got. Stick to talking about the actual film we got, there's plenty of other sites out there to post your MCU fanfic.

Saying Id rather see other directors make more interesting movies out of the same 2nd act material instead of just having it as a second act in a film aint fanfic. Its saying that there was more stuff in the middle that could have been more interestingly expanded on in other ways.

Fanfic is me writing my own version of one of those movies.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Guze posted:

Different timeline Steve would never have met Falcon, they meet in Winter Soldier

I just realized Falcon saying "On your left" when they come though the portals is a call back to when they met jogging.

But that doesn't mean that the other timeline's frozen Steve wasn't woken up at the same time as the main Steve was and went through the same events in his life. If old Steve never interfered in the new timeline, then the young Steve (either the one in the timeline next to us, as well as the one we knew) would have done everything we have seen him do in the other movies.

I think is why the idea of Steve going back to live with Peggy sucks, it means he didn't fix the things he knew about.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They only kill Thanos at the start of endgame because he's already achieved everything he wanted to - he makes no attempt to fight back (and he's also crippled due to using the gauntlet). Every Marvel hero put together couldn't beat even the stoneless 2014 Thanos without resorting to the dragon balls. Strange could've certainly hidden the Time Stone to delay Thanos' victory, but he is inevitable. Allowing him to win then reversing it like we saw in Endgame is the only permanent solution.

You're probably right and this is likely what they were going for in Infinity War when Dr. Strange emphasized to Stark that this was the "Only way". It just seemed to me that there was a sufficient near-victory over Thanos on Titan, as well as Strange soloing him when he evidently had no intention of winning, that it seems odd that everyone else plus the group on Titan would be necessary. It may have been to gain his respect so he wouldn't kill Stark or that he would think he genuinely won so that he wouldn't scrutinize the handing over of the time stone too closely. It can be explained away, I just feel a couple lines of dialogue added in the conversation between Stark and Strange could have gone a long way. Other than that, it was excellent for an entertaining action movie.

Of course, the least the Avengers in the alternate timeline that War Machine / Nebula / Black Widow / Hawkeye went to is give us a beer since we took the Thanos out of their timeline and, at great expense, dusted him in ours. Lazy bastards.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

I know the clanging in the credits is so vague that it could mean nothing or a million things but it would be neat if it’s Doom’s mask.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Did you skip the scene in Winter Soldier where it turns out Peggy married another dude while he was frozen? Think of that scene, but worse for him.

Can we be sure that wasn't actually the time-traveled Steve and it's a closed loop?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Iverron posted:

I know the clanging in the credits is so vague that it could mean nothing or a million things but it would be neat if it’s Doom’s mask.

It's Stark hammering away in the cave from Iron Man 1, building the Mark I suit. Infinity Saga ends with how it started.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

teagone posted:

It's Stark hammering away in the cave from Iron Man 1, building the Mark I suit. Infinity Saga ends with how it started.

This is correct, I just watched that movie this week (its been forever since last time) so that is how I caught it.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

teagone posted:

Makes sense.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I came here to get one question answered and it’s just pages and pages of bitching about time travel.

Why did they make such a big deal in GotG about how nobody could handle touching an infinity stone if every single one of the Avengers can just raw-palm the stones all day? And Tony held all of them at once when he sneaky sneaked them off Thanos at the end. Like even Hawkeye just sitting in a pond holding the soul stone while Quill and the guardians all need to join hands to not get their skin blown off back in Guardians 1.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Strife posted:

I came here to get one question answered and it’s just pages and pages of bitching about time travel.

Why did they make such a big deal in GotG about how nobody could handle touching an infinity stone if every single one of the Avengers can just raw-palm the stones all day? And Tony held all of them at once when he sneaky sneaked them off Thanos at the end. Like even Hawkeye just sitting in a pond holding the soul stone while Quill and the guardians all need to join hands to not get their skin blown off back in Guardians 1.

Clint was wearing a glove in that scene. Tony had his armour to protect him. Others were shielded by orbs, sceptres, Tesseracts, and syringes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

teagone posted:

Infinity Saga (Condensed Version)

Avengers
Thor 2
Winter Soldier
Age of Ultron
Civil War
Doctor Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ragnarok
Infinity War
Endgame

Revised this:

Avengers
Thor 2
Guardians of the Galaxy
Winter Soldier
Age of Ultron
Civil War
Doctor Strange
Ragnarok
Infinity War
Endgame

Moved GOTG after Thor 2, making Thor 3 the follow up to Strange. Works better this way when taking the post-credits stinger scenes into consideration. Gonna try this 10 parter maybe next weekend or so, sans Endgame.

[edit] Phone editing is hard.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 27, 2019

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

teagone posted:

10 movie condensed version of the Infinity Saga that I think has a clear enough narrative through-line that can be watched by anyone going in cold. Swapped a few chronologically (by release date) that I think would make the story flow a bit better.

Avengers
Thor 2
Winter Soldier
Age of Ultron
Civil War
Doctor Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ragnarok
Infinity War
Endgame

I'd say that The First Avenger has to be on this list for sure.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

I'd say that The First Avenger has to be on this list for sure.

Hmm, I don't think it needs to be, since the tesseract is already in Avengers. We don't really need an introduction to that stone from World War 2, and I think there's enough characterization for Cap in Avengers where his origin isn't too important to the overarching narrative.

[edit] My focus was on the introduction of the stones, and matching narrative beats from the films to beats in Endgame.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 27, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Strife posted:

Stark loving dies from using the stones lol.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

I said come in! posted:

Someone had to have the spicy take.

Yeah, you're right, this is absolutely a culmination of Black Panther.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Why do people insist that there are multiple timelines when the movie explicitly stated that there's only one condition in which timelines split, and this condition wasn't met?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
On a slight tangent: Groundhog Day does not feature any actual time travel. It's a metaphor for how we're wasting our lives and we need to do better with the very limited time we have.

:goonsay:

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

teagone posted:

Hmm, I don't think it needs to be, since the tesseract is already in Avengers. We don't really need an introduction to that stone from World War 2, and I think there's enough characterization for Cap in Avengers where his origin isn't too important to the overarching narrative.

[edit] My focus was on the introduction of the stones, and matching narrative thrusts from the films to beats in Endgame.

The First Avenger introduces the Tesseract and has Red Skull getting beamed-up to Vormir. That might be an argument to include it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Why do people insist that there are multiple timelines when the movie explicitly stated that there's only one condition in which timelines split, and this condition wasn't met?

They are loving morons that didn’t pay attention.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Justin Godscock posted:

The First Avenger introduces the Tesseract and has Red Skull getting beamed-up to Vormir. That might be an argument to include it.

Hmm, good point regarding Red Skull.

[edit] Re-watched the Red Skull scene from Infinity War, and I think he dumps enough exposition about how he ended up on Vormir where it'd be more like a cool easter egg seeing one of Cap's main villain's from before getting frozen was defeated "a lifetime ago" after he also tried to seek out the stones. Not sure if including The First Avenger would be worth the extra time just for an intro to the tesseract (which already has an intro in Avengers) and the character of Red Skull who is relatively minor in Infinity War and Endgame.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 27, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I said come in! posted:

They are loving morons that didn’t pay attention.

There's a lapse in logic when Banner was explaining the movie's time travel rules to Rhodey and Ant-Man that contradicts the Ancient One's hand-waving, opening the door for criticizing the movie's take on time travel. Ultimately it's not important though, because the branched realities are just part of the time travel element in service to the plot; it doesn't have to make logical sense, so long as it creates drama, i.e., the Avengers have to survive in order to put back the stones. But that's kind of a drama facade because of course they are going to win, even the Ancient One agrees to it because Strange saw the future. But a drama facade is still drama, and it works.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Clint was wearing a glove in that scene.

lol I'm pretty sure the implication of GotG wasn't that Quill could have survived grabbing the power stone if he happened to be wearing isotoners at the time. Then again that technically may be a thing specific to the power stone because of its nature

Just got back to this. It was pretty good, I read a bit of the overview spoilers but it was better as played out on screen and was entertaining for the full 3 hours. Didn't really even mind the time travel rules being kind of bonkers, although Steve coming back was the thing that made the least sense with their own logic.

Biggest actual bullshit was the loving Vormir team lol. Like the other teams made sense because in nearly all of them they knew what they were getting into and had specific roles to fill: Nebula being on Morag since she kind of knew how to get into the temple, Thor going to Asguard while Rocket had some expertise to extract the red goo, the core team going to New York where they could impersonate each other and retrieve 3 stones at once. But sending the two least equipped humans to the planet you know the least about? Like obviously it was all set up for the eventual drama but come on. Pretty convenient for the universe that they didn't just swap partners on Morag because anyone could have knocked out Quill, but it Nebula was on Vormir with say Clint you couldn't do the "sacrifice someone you love" bs.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

Biggest actual bullshit was the loving Vormir team lol. Like the other teams made sense because in nearly all of them they knew what they were getting into and had specific roles to fill: Nebula being on Morag since she kind of knew how to get into the temple, Thor going to Asguard while Rocket had some expertise to extract the red goo, the core team going to New York where they could impersonate each other and retrieve 3 stones at once. But sending the two least equipped humans to the planet you know the least about? Like obviously it was all set up for the eventual drama but come on. Pretty convenient for the universe that they didn't just swap partners on Morag because anyone could have knocked out Quill, but it Nebula was on Vormir with say Clint you couldn't do the "sacrifice someone you love" bs.

Someone joked in the BSS Movie thread that seeing as how the time heist scenes were a bit more comedic in nature, they expected Hawkeye to just throw his bow and arrows down the cliff to get the soul stone and it'd work, lmao.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

teagone posted:

Hmm, good point regarding Red Skull.

[edit] Re-watched the Red Skull scene from Infinity War, and I think he dumps enough exposition about how he ended up on Vormir where it'd be more like a cool easter egg seeing one of Cap's main villain's from before getting frozen was defeated "a lifetime ago" after he also tried to seek out the stones. Not sure if including The First Avenger would be worth the extra time just for an intro to the tesseract (which already has an intro in Avengers) and the character of Red Skull who is relatively minor in Infinity War and Endgame.

True, for all the audience would know Red Skull was just the "nameless guardian" (to those without context or comic knowledge) of the Soul Stone. Then, yeah, Avengers gives the info dump on the Tesseract.

I retract my previous post.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

teagone posted:

Someone joked in the BSS Movie thread that seeing as how the time heist scenes were a bit more comedic in nature, they expected Hawkeye to just throw his bow and arrows down the cliff to get the soul stone and it'd work, lmao.

I think the requirement should have been a "soul for a soul" strictly, and not the bullshit "someone you love" angle, which I found cheap in IW. In Endgame they should have known what they were going into; like maybe Nebula found out somehow and planned to sacrifice herself but Clint and Nat needle the info out of her and convince her to let them go? I dunno, the "sacrifice something you love" thing didn't work in IW but did work here but had a contrived method of getting there.

Also I think I quick spotted a continuity/editing error, although I would have to see it again to be sure: after Ant-Man and Wasp have just gotten to the van and started trying to hotwire it, about a minute later you see Spidey running with the gauntlet and I swear in the background you see Giant Ant-Man either fighting the flying worm monster or maybe holding up a ship. Either way I can't think of who else would have been giant

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Extremely weird that people are trying to throw the whole time-travel genre under the bus, like nobody’s seen Groundhog Day, The Terminator, The Matrix, etc.

2 of those movies don't involve time travel at all. I guess you could make an argument for Groundhog Day, but that's kinda something different. The Matrix has zero time travel.

Tom Tucker posted:

Also someone in the back of my theater yelled out spoilers during quiet moments in the first few minutes and I was annoyed but a kid near me was really heartbroken to have the movie spoiled :(

What a loser. That sucks.

Also for everyone complaining about Cap having a happy ending, he did help save the entire universe. I'm no Avenger, but if I helped save the universe and got the chance to go back in time and be with my dream girl I'd do it and figure the universe owed me one.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Right? I keep thinking I missed something, but that's not how I understood the storyline. My understanding from the nice visual of the timeline is that if the stones were put back everything would be fine.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

1glitch0 posted:

Right? I keep thinking I missed something, but that's not how I understood the storyline. My understanding from the nice visual of the timeline is that if the stones were put back everything would be fine.

But this doesn't take into account Thanos travelling from the past and being killed etc. There must be at least two timelines

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!
So from Spider-Man's dialogue, I guess there's no afterlife for common people in the MCU, only Wakandan royalty and higher mystics? He said something like he'd just gone unconscious and come back, right?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

garycoleisgod posted:

But this doesn't take into account Thanos travelling from the past and being killed etc. There must be at least two timelines

Yeah, good point. I dunno.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

A question about the ending: Why did the Avengers think they needed the van? If they wanted to send the bad guys back to their original times, couldn't they just use the Infinity Stones again? Sure, it might have killed the Hulk to do it again, but they were all facing potential death anyway.

Also, I was afraid that good Nebula was going to die after shooting bad Nebula, since that was past-her. Still, I'm relieved she got a good ending. I think Nebula became one of the most interesting characters in the series.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

teagone posted:

The Avengers had no regard for keeping the integrity of all the alternate timelines they jumped into intact, they changed so much poo poo lol.

We act as if alternate timelines only start existing as soon as we arrive in a new timeline. But what if these parallel universes have always existed outside our own and time-travel is simply the act of jumping between universes? It's sort of like achieving escape velocity to exit the earth's atmosphere and truly explore 3 dimensional space. The next level is achieving escape velocity to leave this universe and explore 4 dimensional time. So really you're not loving with anything by going back in time, you were always meant to go back.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 27, 2019

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

1glitch0 posted:

It was basically explained at least 2 ways: the first was Banner talking about how you can't change the future, because it's already part of your own past, you just create a new timeline when you make (presumably significant) changes. The Ancient One then said the removal of a stone would create a terrible timeline unless they were returned. I think people are conflating the two, but the Ancient One didn't say that removing a stone is the only way the timelines are changed.

My rough understanding of it was: if you change the past you create a new timeline but since you're a time traveler you are still basically tethered to your own timeline and end up back there when you travel*. So if you think of the classic "go back in time and kill baby Hitler" paradox; if you did that instead of returning to a world that never saw an adult Hitler, you'd still travel back to your original timeline, you just created a different timeline where Hitler is killed.

But there are other significant changes that happened most specifically Loki getting the tesseract and Thanos leaving an alternate 2014 branch where he came here instead and died, which should def create at least those 2 timelines (if you're a butterfly effect believer, even the tiniest changes alter things enough that there's always new timelines every time someone time travels, like that Treehouse of Horror segment).

*I don't know how someone choosing not to travel back and actually living out the full timeline like Steve does factors into this tho.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Maybe I'm being way too tolerant due to growing up with mid-90's comic book timeline fuckery, but I thought it was fine. Not every time travel movie has to be Back to the Future or 12 Monkeys. I was expecting future Nebula to kill herself by killing past Nebula, but that didn't happen. They were clearly leaning on the "each iteration of a character is locked into their own timeline, and they can spawn other timelines but not change their own", and that doesn't seem crazier than any other interpretation.

Strife posted:

Maybe this was because it was specifically the Power Stone?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Strife posted:

I thought it was actually using the stone that was dangerous, not just holding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Ah, I see, I was wrong. In my defense I'm going off of what was spoiled for me so I didn't know they explained it like that, but I was still talking out of my rear end.