Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I went with 6, once I start becoming an unstoppable god in these games my interest plummets lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I would not, could not in Balmora
I would not, could not with Dremora
I would not, could not eat them here or there
I would not, could not eat them in Elswyr
I do not like Kwama eggs and guar-ham
I do not like them, Nerevar-I-Am

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

someone made a mwse smooth camera mod and now darkelfguys preview videos are slick as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUGYXW8NE60

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
extremely rad, but nords wouldn't use flat roofs they'd cave in from the snow :argh:

also here's a question:
in real castle crenulations there's also a gap between the floor and the wall so archers can shoot downwards instead of just straight out through the upper wall gaps

if you modeled this in the game, would npc guards be able to shoot down thru those gaps and hit a target? Would they at least try to take the shot?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

if you modeled this in the game, would npc guards be able to shoot down thru those gaps and hit a target? Would they at least try to take the shot?

Npcs have to be able to draw a line between their center of mass. Maybe just maybe if you modeled the collisions perfectly

Re: roofs: they know it's an issue but it's too late. The design was made to show the redguard influence and they're probably going to imply they have seasonal roof ramps they take off in the summer for better cooling, or, magic

mbt fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 23, 2019

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Just scream at the snow to keep it from piling up. Problem solved the Nord way.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if your house is on fire it can't even have snow on it

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

lol my fingers hurt

That's a solid mod list, thanks! Your quickloot mod is amazing!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

trip report: morrowind on xbox one is, believe it or not, a pretty drat good way to play the game. this is important to me as mouse + keyboard (primarily the mouse) causes me moderate pain after less than an hour these days and getting morrowind on pc to work with controllers is a pain in the rear end. you can't mod obviously, it but the built-in graphical enhancements makes that ok, and the load times are only slightly slower than they are on my ssd.

it also satisfies my nostalgia for when i first played this game on the og xbox since my lovely emachines running windows me couldn't handle it.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 23, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

trip report: morrowind on xbox one is, believe it or not, a pretty drat good way to play the game. this is important to me as mouse + keyboard (primarily the mouse) causes me moderate pain after less than an hour these days and getting morrowind on pc to work with controllers is a pain in the rear end. you can't mod obviously, it but the built-in graphical enhancements makes that ok, and the load times are only slightly slower than they are on my ssd.

it also satisfies my nostalgia for when i first played this game on the og xbox since my lovely emachines running windows me couldn't handle it.

Just a heads up that open MW supports controller on pc and it works great!

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

generally the mods I make do their best to improve that vision

lol my fingers hurt

Do your rebalancing mods work for Open MW? Would like to play with them but only like playing Open now mainly due to stability.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Stumiester posted:

Do your rebalancing mods work for Open MW? Would like to play with them but only like playing Open now mainly due to stability.

Yes

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Modded myself a little library/exhibition area in Tel Uvirith and filled it with my crap using perfect placement. Turned out nice I think.

Also some other screenshots from the northeast.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Also heads up MBT: the base Beware House Dagoth doesn't seem to have Keening in it. The original placement disolves, but Odros doesn't have it on his body. The modular esp works.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The modular ESP works in addition to the default plugin, or in place of it so you have to run all three?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I will only say that LGNPC has really, really cleaned up. It's good now. (I know.)

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Alikchi posted:

I will only say that LGNPC has really, really cleaned up. It's good now. (I know.)

Have they gone back and redone the really terrible ones?

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Alikchi posted:

I tried it not too long ago and found it was riddled with typos and every other person was having martial troubles that were somehow the woman's fault. It felt weird and out of place, and I dropped it pretty quickly. We must have been trying out different modules.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

I hate LGNPC cause I figured it would just make NPCs less generic, not do stuff like make it so you can't sleep in your house if you come across some Ash statues and think they'd look cool on your fireplace (maybe they removed stuff like that I guess I haven't used it in years)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the new project head made it his mission to mercilessly gut terrible content across the board a few years ago

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The dialogue only version is next level CHIMing

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The problem I have with LGNPC is that I never engage with it. The conversation system in Morrowind is not interesting enough to want to spend time reading NPCs back stories. Skeezy or not, I appreciate the effort that went into it, but it's just not for me.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

The problem I have with LGNPC is that I never engage with it. The conversation system in Morrowind is not interesting enough to want to spend time reading NPCs back stories. Skeezy or not, I appreciate the effort that went into it, but it's just not for me.

This. The writing isn't especially bad per se, but I just felt smothered every time I entered a new town and started talking to folks.

Now, a "quests-only" version would be awesome, because their breadth and relative mundanity were actually pretty true to Morrowind imo

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

BBJoey posted:

Also heads up MBT: the base Beware House Dagoth doesn't seem to have Keening in it. The original placement disolves, but Odros doesn't have it on his body. The modular esp works.

thats insane that that happened lol

fixed in 1.2. Also I lowered the fight of ash vampires so you can now hear their original vanilla dialogue that got overwritten on release. Some of its pretty neat.

pop quiz: when were the tools lost to dagoth ur? hint: you won't guess this
10 years before the game starts https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dagoth_Ur%27s_Plans

it's just one of those things you thought you knew until you try writing dialogue and go 'huh'

mbt fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 26, 2019

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Ta

Thinking about it it's kind of funny that two literal gods with buoyant armiger support hosed up bad enough that they had to be rescued by a third god, while the Nerevarine single-handedly dismantles the Sixth House

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

pop quiz: when were the tools lost to dagoth ur? hint: you won't guess this
10 years before the game starts https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dagoth_Ur%27s_Plans

That's something I learned looking through the year-by-year timeline pages, I think, trying to get a sense of when all the different parts of Morrowind's story happened. It gives a good sense of what the Tribunal's actions used to be like, and why everyone is so worried about their behavior now.

Also, one of my favorite lines from Dagoth Ur's Plans:

quote:

Dagoth Ur thinks on a large time scale -- for the most part, in the outside-of-time scale of the divine consciousness. He thinks that only obstacles of mythic scale are worth consideration. [...] Dagoth Ur believes he has permanently gained a decisive strategic advantage. On a mortal timescale, the battle may last for centuries, but the outcome is not in doubt.
In Oblivion and Skyrim, it always feels strange to delay pursuing the main quest, because the antagonist's actions occur on a short timescale, and appear to be racing toward their own victory. Dagoth Ur has been at this for centuries, and thinks nothing of continuing for centuries more, because he has been winning for centuries. The open world gameplay is justified beautifully by Vivec saying "No, you figure out when you're ready to challenge him, don't go off prematurely."

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Also I lowered the fight of ash vampires so you can now hear their original vanilla dialogue that got overwritten on release. Some of its pretty neat.

Nice! I remember happening on that dialogue while digging around in the CS and wondered if it was possible to trigger it in the base game.

I'm also a fan of the Ash Slave dialogue.

Vavrek posted:

That's something I learned looking through the year-by-year timeline pages, I think, trying to get a sense of when all the different parts of Morrowind's story happened. It gives a good sense of what the Tribunal's actions used to be like, and why everyone is so worried about their behavior now.

Also, one of my favorite lines from Dagoth Ur's Plans:
In Oblivion and Skyrim, it always feels strange to delay pursuing the main quest, because the antagonist's actions occur on a short timescale, and appear to be racing toward their own victory. Dagoth Ur has been at this for centuries, and thinks nothing of continuing for centuries more, because he has been winning for centuries. The open world gameplay is justified beautifully by Vivec saying "No, you figure out when you're ready to challenge him, don't go off prematurely."

Heck, Caius's first quest is "here is some money, go off and do something else for a while." Meanwhile Oblivion and Skyrim's main quests are always going "Quickly! You must do this now! There's no time to waste!" and delaying the main quest to do faction quests almost seems like breaking the game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

BBJoey posted:

Ta

Thinking about it it's kind of funny that two literal gods with buoyant armiger support hosed up bad enough that they had to be rescued by a third god, while the Nerevarine single-handedly dismantles the Sixth House

The whole premise there though is that Dagoth's source of power is the same source the Tribunal uses. They sat on their rear end and did nothing because otherwise they'd lose godhood. I like that bit of the story.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

The whole premise there though is that Dagoth's source of power is the same source the Tribunal uses. They sat on their rear end and did nothing because otherwise they'd lose godhood. I like that bit of the story.

I understand that, but nonetheless the Tribunes were undertaking raids inside the ghost fence carrying Keening and Sunder. Not sure what they were trying to accomplish.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They needed Kagrenac's tool to tap into the Heart's power to top up their divinity tank.

It probably looked just like this, except on the Heart of Lorkhan instead of a maple tree.

After a while, the tree/heart heals up and you need to make a fresh new tap. That's when Dagoth attacked them.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Some may argue that Voryn Dagoth did nothing wrong and in some respects they are right

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

kazr posted:

Some may argue that Voryn Dagoth did nothing wrong and in some respects they are right

Dagoth Ur had some good ideas.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

courtesy of greatness7, here's a great webm of why changing things isnt always making it better

https://streamable.com/shivh

distant land version (far away) = vanilla
moving in close to it = rebirth version

:allears:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
That's just because they didn't re-run their distant land generation, right?

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
That's what causes it, but it's to illustrate the (unassailable) point about rebirth's changes largely being awful and pointless. I don't think it was unintentional (or at least that's not why MBT shared it if so).

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ReWinter posted:

That's what causes it, but it's to illustrate the (unassailable) point about rebirth's changes largely being awful and pointless. I don't think it was unintentional (or at least that's not why MBT shared it if so).

yeah it was intentionally done to show a great side by side. someone went through to show some exterior changes and a lot of them were like this. it's a pretty great technique

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Vos really is such an awful change too. Tel Vos in vanilla shows an experiment in design a progressive Telvanni wizard is involved in. Vos in Rebirth shows a loving idiot who can't keep his magical root system from loving up the nearby town.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

after about 30 hours playing on xbox one, the game is still loading real fast and has not crashed once. combined with the visual enhancements inherent to this version of the game i'd say it is definitely vying for the position of 'best way to experience morrowind for the first time'. no mods or other bullshit necessary, just plug and play. i am actually real impressed with this; i kinda rolled my eyes when i saw it on the backwards compatability list, mostly due to how awful it ran on the original xbox, but man, this actually is quite nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

no mods or other bullshit

Why isn't there a :hmmno: yet?