Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All of these reports that I have "lost" my drivers license are false and malicious, rest assured my drivers license, which I will not show you, is currently located in my wallet. Due to a misunderstanding where I drunkly robbed a Taco Cabana and hit 5 parked cars fleeing from the police, I am currently not allowed to drive, but I absolutely still have my drivers license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
I just want these people to explain to me the difference between tether and filthy fiat.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Goodpancakes posted:

The authorities are safe guarding the money, but also don't trust the authorities

:hmmyes:

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
“We didn’t lose the $850M, the other scammer has it” *doesn't mention the $900M at all*

Anyway, it’s all just filthy fiat; 1BTC = 1 BTC still

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

klafbang posted:

“We didn’t lose the $850M, the other scammer has it” *doesn't mention the $900M at all*

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

klafbang posted:

:hmmyes:

google, enter password smashthestate

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

klafbang posted:

Forgets all crypto is denominated in USD.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

We didn't lose $900 million, where did you hear we lost 850 million? the entire $800 million is safe, the $750m isn't going anywhere, the $700m was seized but we're getting it back.......

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DelF6zEHXpE

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
Are people caring about fake money again?

C'mon, money is only a medium of work. A means of quantifying the labor that people do. Digging rocks, refining steel, making plastics. And helping people, teaching the next generation. Helping those who are sick. Stopping them from being sick ever again.

That even a single loving joule of energy is wasted on people doing...what? Random-rear end blockchain bullshittery just for lols?

Do they have any connection to the gold people? Because gold is a bit of a niche element, sure it's valuable, but there more valuable stuff around.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
That thing is hilarious. What’s the likelihood a lawyer came within a mile of that letter?

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

poverty goat posted:

What's funny is the only dealers in America who are uniformly lying to you with impunity about the strength and quality of the drugs are legal sellers of carts and edibles in the legal states

"LAB TESTED 93.4%* THC

*+/-20% :iiam:

How the concentrate black market functions:

"Here is the shatter/wax I bought from some guy, it gets you high. That will be [$$] per gram." Much more honest.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

IronClaymore posted:

Do they have any connection to the gold people? Because gold is a bit of a niche element, sure it's valuable, but there more valuable stuff around.

Bitcoin and gold do seem to attract a lot of the same idiots, yes. One of the more common arguments bitcoiners throw at non-believers is that it's "EVEN BETTER THAN GOLD," as if anyone other than weird libertarian goldbugs gives two shits about gold in the first place.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

...! posted:

Bitcoin and gold do seem to attract a lot of the same idiots, yes. One of the more common arguments bitcoiners throw at non-believers is that it's "EVEN BETTER THAN GOLD," as if anyone other than weird libertarian goldbugs gives two shits about gold in the first place.

It's even better than gold, because you can't even make jewelry or electronics with it.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

twerking on the railroad posted:

It's even better than gold, because you can't even make jewelry or electronics with it.

Thus focusing it’s power entirely on disrupting financial markets.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

IronClaymore posted:

Are people caring about fake money again?

C'mon, money is only a medium of work. A means of quantifying the labor that people do. Digging rocks, refining steel, making plastics. And helping people, teaching the next generation. Helping those who are sick. Stopping them from being sick ever again.

That even a single loving joule of energy is wasted on people doing...what? Random-rear end blockchain bullshittery just for lols?

In a rational perfect market the bitcoin price would seek to find a level for the proof of work commensurate with the utility coming from a crytographically secured P2P ledger.

It'd probably be worthless in that perfect market. Cryptographically secured ledger, OK useful to someone. P2P? Why bother.

Turns out the market is opposite of rational and its now internet junk bonds. A predatory instrument for fleecing anyone who buys the story behind it but doesn't know the financial background.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

twerking on the railroad posted:

you cant make anything with it. that is why it is worth so much

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

you cant make anything with it.

You make plenty of wasted electricity. Can’t even compare to the entire banking industry or the electricity of a country, because THAT electricity is not wasted. It’s used for reasons in the real world: loans, foodstuff, lodging, even video games or Fleshlites or cigarettes. Dog food for your pup is a solid product from a factory. Bitcoin has no use case: it’s just doing things that an Apple Watch ⌚️ could do all by itself. It is quite simply a waste of power that produces nothing.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the whole statement is :discourse: but i liked one sentence in particular because there is so much there

quote:

We have been advised

somebody told them, so they don't have direct knowledge of what happened to their money

quote:

that these amounts – whether in whole or in substantial part –

actually meaningless - the phrase "these amounts" does not mean "all of the amount or maybe just a bit". also, what is a "substantial part" of an amount? $800 million? $100 million? $5? all goes to show that, again, they do not know what happened to the better part of a billion dollars

quote:

are, in fact, seized and safeguarded

interesting word, "seized"; it means "take hold of suddenly and forcibly" and, in the financial context, usually implies that a government did the seizing. this suggests that the money is evidence of or related to a crime

quote:

in several jurisdictions including Poland, Portugal, the United Kingdom, and the United States

great - this was a proper multi-national financial investigation

so what they probably meant as a reassuring sentence - this money isn't lost, and is in fact being safeguarded - just shows 1) they don't know what happened to the money or how much is left, 2) the money was the subject of a multinational financial investigation, and 3) the government has seized whatever is left because it is evidence

Best Bi Geek Squid fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 28, 2019

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Not to imply that crypto is currently at all useful enough as to actually derive value out of being able to trade it, but I do wonder about Coinbase ending up as the only exchange by virtue of (theoretically) not being a scam or illiquid.

On one hand, crypto goes the way of beanie babies and it's no longer worth keeping the lights on and all the exchanges shut down. On the other hand, Coinbase becomes the only exchange and benefits from some kind of resurgence were one to happen. I think it's most likely the former (sorry, spoilers) since they don't really have any volume and recently had to change the fee structure to tax all the (external) bots constantly placing maker orders for free.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

DerekSmartymans posted:

You make plenty of wasted electricity. Can’t even compare to the entire banking industry or the electricity of a country, because THAT electricity is not wasted. It’s used for reasons in the real world: loans, foodstuff, lodging, even video games or Fleshlites or cigarettes. Dog food for your pup is a solid product from a factory. Bitcoin has no use case: it’s just doing things that an Apple Watch ⌚️ could do all by itself. It is quite simply a waste of power that produces nothing.

:thejoke:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

I know, I know. Sometimes I get so frazzled because I’m just a dopey nevercoiner. I miss Kevin and the Titty Ghost I think.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

the whole statement is :discourse: but i liked one sentence in particular because there is so much there

That is how I read it as well.

Looks like a bunch of governments acted together to seize everything they had all at once and now no one's telling them anything because all of the financial institutions are in full CYA mode.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Azathoth posted:

That is how I read it as well.

Looks like a bunch of governments acted together to seize everything they had all at once and now no one's telling them anything because all of the financial institutions are in full CYA mode.

why would any financial institution want bitcoin? they have real money

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

ItBurns posted:

An open letter to Bitfinex traders

Holy poo poo

Jean van der velde?

This is the guy who took his pants off when all he needed was a bogey to win the British Open and instead had a meltdown for the ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dR1pkCGY80

E: actually it just took double bogey to win lol

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

let it mellow posted:

Holy poo poo

Jean van der velde?

This is the guy who took his pants off when all he needed was a bogey to win the British Open and instead had a meltdown for the ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dR1pkCGY80

E: actually it just took double bogey to win lol

lol you watch tennis

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

lol you watch tennis

lol I’m old enough I watched that live

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Which is why I recognized van de velde

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
And I truly hope the tether guy is the same guy I watched gently caress up the British open

that would be loving hysterical

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

let it mellow posted:

Which is why I recognized van de velde

I like that you didn't make fun of me because it was golf, not tennis

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I like that you didn't make fun of me because it was golf, not tennis

I’m still trying to figure out if it’s the same jean van der velde, no time to make fun of you since you’ll still be here next week

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

signs point to no but thanks for that video, always appreciate a good self-own.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Did you guys hear that?

hey hey heyyyyy

I thought I heard something

hey hey heyyyyy

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Did you guys hear that?

hey hey heyyyyy

I thought I heard something

hey hey heyyyyy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWgvGjAhvIw

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

somebody told them, so they don't have direct knowledge of what happened to their money

actually meaningless - the phrase "these amounts" does not mean "all of the amount or maybe just a bit". also, what is a "substantial part" of an amount? $800 million? $100 million? $5? all goes to show that, again, they do not know what happened to the better part of a billion dollars

interesting word, "seized"; it means "take hold of suddenly and forcibly" and, in the financial context, usually implies that a government did the seizing. this suggests that the money is evidence of or related to a crime

great - this was a proper multi-national financial investigation

so what they probably meant as a reassuring sentence - this money isn't lost, and is in fact being safeguarded - just shows 1) they don't know what happened to the money or how much is left, 2) the money was the subject of a multinational financial investigation, and 3) the government has seized whatever is left because it is evidence

A criminal investigation? That's a very optimistic interpretation of events. What's much more likely to have happened is that they fell for one of these "give me $100 dollars now and I'll return $120 in a week" scams. The scammers follow through with it for the first couple of suckers to build up trust and when the big rollers start sending them money they grab& run.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
You can buy Bitcoin at Coinstar machines now!

https://www.coinstar.com/bitcoin

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Opferwurst posted:

A criminal investigation? That's a very optimistic interpretation of events. What's much more likely to have happened is that they fell for one of these "give me $100 dollars now and I'll return $120 in a week" scams. The scammers follow through with it for the first couple of suckers to build up trust and when the big rollers start sending them money they grab& run.

man, if only there was a name for this type of scam

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

why would any financial institution want bitcoin? they have real money

Thought it was clear from context, but I meant their cash assets.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Azathoth posted:

Thought it was clear from context, but I meant their cash assets.

banks don't have cash assets. only stupid poor people have cash assets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

You can buy Bitcoin at Coinstar machines now!

https://www.coinstar.com/bitcoin

Kinda odd that you can’t use coins at the Coinstar machine to buy Bitcoin.

They only take paper money for that transaction.