Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What determines what school/type of manual you get as Archaeologist in gooncrawl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Haifisch posted:

The best/worst I saw once was a shop named oval office's Weapon Emporium(or whatever shop type it was).

Insert something about Crawl being an Australian game so it's not really that bad and :words: here.
During World War 2, the Turkish ambassador to the Moscow embassy was named Mustapha Kunt.

Not trying to justify anything, I just love that little story and so did the British ambassador of the time. There's a very funny and legendary letter to that effect, Google it.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

icantfindaname posted:

What determines what school/type of manual you get as Archaeologist in gooncrawl?

Slightly different mechanisms for different skills...

Polearms:

Spellcasting:

Dodging:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Is there a way to check what floor you encountered (and killed) a unique on? I just realised I never found Gastronok's hat (I killed him by sticking him full of poison needles from the edge of the screen and then running the gently caress away, he died somewhere in the explored territory and I forgot to check the place).

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Aumanor posted:

Is there a way to check what floor you encountered (and killed) a unique on? I just realised I never found Gastronok's hat (I killed him by sticking him full of poison needles from the edge of the screen and then running the gently caress away, he died somewhere in the explored territory and I forgot to check the place).

If you press # to update your dump file, that will usually have it one way or another (just search for "Gastronok"). On that floor, press X then ctrl-f (or *f) to forget the map, letting you autoexplore it again. When you're done with that, X then ctrl-u (or *u) should unforget it. (press ? for commands in the X map if those are wrong).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, the dump file will have a list of entries like "Entered floor 8, Encountered Gastronok, ..., ..., Killed Gastronok," so you'll have to manually go back a few steps to see which floor it actually happened on, but the information is there.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Is there a list of the unrands you can get for non-armor/weapon skill archeologist manual?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

fool_of_sound posted:

Is there a list of the unrands you can get for non-armor/weapon skill archeologist manual?

It's all the unrands, it iterates through the list and removes ones your character can't train skill for (like octopode can't train armour). When it fills the crate if it generates an unrand you can't equip t loops until it finds one you can.

Jewelry is Spellcasting, Robes are a coinflip with that or Dodging.

Here are the specific items that have hardcoded skill manuals:

pre:
  case UNRAND_PONDERING:
    case UNRAND_MAJIN:
    case UNRAND_WUCAD_MU:
    case UNRAND_ETHERIC_CAGE:
        return SK_SPELLCASTING;
        case UNRAND_DRAGONMASK:
        case UNRAND_WAR:
        case UNRAND_BEAR_SPIRIT:
        case UNRAND_BLOODLUST:
        case UNRAND_ROBUSTNESS:
        case UNRAND_SHIELDING:
        case UNRAND_VITALITY:
        return SK_FIGHTING;
    case UNRAND_PHASING:
    case UNRAND_FENCERS:
        return SK_DODGING;
    case UNRAND_THIEF:
    case UNRAND_BOOTS_ASSASSIN:
    case UNRAND_NIGHT:
    case UNRAND_SHADOWS:
        return SK_STEALTH;
    case UNRAND_ELEMENTAL_STAFF:
    case UNRAND_OLGREB:
        return SK_EVOCATIONS;

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Araganzar posted:

It's all the unrands, it iterates through the list and removes ones your character can't train skill for (like octopode can't train armour). When it fills the crate if it generates an unrand you can't equip t loops until it finds one you can.

Jewelry is Spellcasting, Robes are a coinflip with that or Dodging.

Here are the specific items that have hardcoded skill manuals:

pre:
  case UNRAND_PONDERING:
    case UNRAND_MAJIN:
    case UNRAND_WUCAD_MU:
    case UNRAND_ETHERIC_CAGE:
        return SK_SPELLCASTING;
        case UNRAND_DRAGONMASK:
        case UNRAND_WAR:
        case UNRAND_BEAR_SPIRIT:
        case UNRAND_BLOODLUST:
        case UNRAND_ROBUSTNESS:
        case UNRAND_SHIELDING:
        case UNRAND_VITALITY:
        return SK_FIGHTING;
    case UNRAND_PHASING:
    case UNRAND_FENCERS:
        return SK_DODGING;
    case UNRAND_THIEF:
    case UNRAND_BOOTS_ASSASSIN:
    case UNRAND_NIGHT:
    case UNRAND_SHADOWS:
        return SK_STEALTH;
    case UNRAND_ELEMENTAL_STAFF:
    case UNRAND_OLGREB:
        return SK_EVOCATIONS;

Thanks, that makes me a lot less hesitant about accepting non-weapon manuals.

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.

Um... yeah. That's a killer bee (and probably its friends hiding just out of sight) on D:2. Seems a bit excessively lethal this early in the dungeon.

fakeedit: Looked for its friends in order to verify and woke it up. Got stung to death in 2 or 3 turns. Welp. Time to splat more DrTms.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao what do you even do when the d2 killer bee wakes up, hope you got lucky and found an early applicable wand?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

anchorite posted:

I got the Robe of Folly once out of a spellcasting manual.

Well this happened. Maybe it shouldn't. Seems awful mean of Dad.
pre:
 As you finish your manual of Dodging, the mysteries of the crate's mechanism unravel in your mind!
 The crate's locking mechanism finally gives in... Revealing the +5 robe of Misfortune {*Contam Harm *Corrode *Drain *Slow EV+5}!

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
So what's the deal with hermit crabs? Are you just supposed to suck up the fact that they have bad defenses? I started as an archaeologist(?) and got the antimagic demon whip, which is carrying me for now.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hermit Crabs were (Tollymain's?) Gooncrawl idea of beginner friendly, low equipment requirement caster race that's super bad with weapons and comes with some built in durability and combat capability so you don't have to worry about equip and can just focus on casting.

Then shortly after Fairy Dragons happened and ended up being basically straight up better at the same job, and now the crab seems a bit redundant and sad.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
not me specifically and not in that order

my crab is yet to come

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
can we add a check on archeologist to not pick the skill you have -3 apt or worse in

I'm kinda sick of getting spellcating manuals as minotaur, I refuse to take it as a challenge

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Hermit Crabs' gimmick is that they can cast in heavier armor with less strength required and they have good caster aptitudes. Then you get to the late game, realize that you're dependent on 5 slots for all your abilities and resistances, and regret your life decisions. I used Gozag to win a HCSu offline which was ironically not a great idea in hindsight. I got lucky enough to find good randarts and the Macabre Finger Necklace in Gozag's shops, but it didn't occur to me at the time that Gozag screws you out of dragon scales which would be a much more reliable source of the resistances you desperately need.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

So how are promethians different from demigods?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Gorelab posted:

So how are promethians different from demigods?

they are literally just renamed demigods. everybody decided "demigod" was a stupid name, iirc

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Honestly I wouldn't shed any tears if Ac boxes could only have weapons in them. All of the spellcasting/dodging/armour boxes I've gotten have been either dogshit or fine but strictly worse than getting a weapon. Losing boots of the assassin would hurt but it would be worth it for no getting memed on with the robe of misfortune or crown of torment.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nah they also got a change in the way their stats increase iirc

i dont know if they have rElec yet but they should

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I wonder if it would be possible to give them a weakness to eagles.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'd rather gooncrawl buff the myriad garbage unrand armors than change archeologist honestly. Like half the unrand armors are mediocre to terrible.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

I went into Wizmode and did some more testing on this. Lava Orc is definitely screwed up for Mara Summon Ghost, it crashed on all three times Mara summoned ghost for Arch, Fi, Gl, etc. I'm not sure if it's because it's a "new race" (though FD, HC, SK, DJ didn't have a problem) or if it's because the Lava Orc tile might exist under multiple names due to the heat effects. The line referenced in the ASSERT is:
code:
tile_info &tile_player_info(tileidx_t idx)
{
->    ASSERT_RANGE(idx, TILE_MAIN_MAX, TILEP_PLAYER_MAX);
    return _tile_player_info[idx - TILE_MAIN_MAX];
}
And I noticed there are multiple LAVA_ORC entries in tiledef-player.cc:
code:
_name_pair("lava_orc", 2020 + TILE_MAIN_MAX), (line 18365)
_name_pair("lava_orc_heat", 2022 + TILE_MAIN_MAX), (line 18366)
And then in static const assignment earlier in the file:
code:
static const char *_tile_player_name[TILEP_PLAYER_MAX - TILE_MAIN_MAX] =
{
(lots of lines omitted)
    "LAVA_ORC",
    "LAVA_ORC_1",
    "LAVA_ORC_HEAT",
    "LAVA_ORC_HEAT_1",
    "LAVA_ORC_HEAT_2",
    "LAVA_ORC_HEAT_3",
    "LAVA_ORC_HEAT_4",
    "LAVA_ORC_HEAT_5",
    "LAVA_ORC_HEAT_6",
    "LAVA_ORC_HEAT_7",
    "LAVA_ORC_HEAT_8",
    "LAVA_ORC_HEAT_9",
    "LAVA_ORC_HEAT_10",
    "LAVA_ORC_HEAT_11"
The other race lines have multiple entries, but it's like KOBOLD, KOBOLD_1, KOBOLD_2, etc and doesn't split up among LAVA_ORC and LAVA_ORC_HEAT. I don't really have debug debug going on, just building but my guess is it's one of those two reasons (new race not added to ghost list, more than one tile archetype).

It can be duplicated consistently by going into wizmode and doing an M and summoning Mara. Refuse to die until he throws the summon ghost spell; CTD 100% of the time (for lava orcs).

Another interesting wrinkle might be lava orc ghosts on levelgen?

If you can pin it down and fix it, I would happily take the pull request! My eyes have been glazing over every time I've tried to get in and work more on code for Gooncrawl right now thanks to permabuff refactoring, so I'm thinking I need to take a bit of a break to refresh and go back in.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Can we make Vehumet support (and gift) Ligthing Spire?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's a Summoning/Air spell where it isn't direct damage. The only other "destructive" spell that Vehumet supports like that is Inner Flame which is another questionable choice. All the others deal immediate damage.

Now Vehumet was also explicitly the summoning god (and did empower Summons in the same way they did Conjurations) prior to version 0.12. I imagine keeping that separation makes more sense at this point than trying to re-combine them back together again.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Floodkiller posted:

If you can pin it down and fix it, I would happily take the pull request! My eyes have been glazing over every time I've tried to get in and work more on code for Gooncrawl right now thanks to permabuff refactoring, so I'm thinking I need to take a bit of a break to refresh and go back in.

My limited grasp of C is kind of getting in the way here, that and not having an IDE other than regex in file in Textpad. I have confirmed that the Illusion deck effect does not cause the problem. However, manually summoning a Lava Orc in wizmode returns a question mark icon.

I was wondering if the latter is related to the last line of this mon-data.h entry:
code:
{
    MONS_LAVA_ORC, 'o', RED, "lava orc",
    M_WARM_BLOOD | M_SPEAKS | M_NO_POLY_TO | M_NO_GEN_DERIVED,
    mrd(MR_RES_FIRE, 3),
    15, MONS_ORC, MONS_LAVA_ORC, MH_NATURAL, 0,
    { {AT_HIT, AF_PLAIN, 5}, AT_NO_ATK, AT_NO_ATK, AT_NO_ATK },
    1, 70,
    0, 10, MST_NO_SPELLS, CE_NOCORPSE, S_SHOUT, // not worth a corpse tile
    I_HUMAN, HT_LAND, 10, DEFAULT_ENERGY,
    MONUSE_WEAPONS_ARMOUR, SIZE_MEDIUM, MON_SHAPE_HUMANOID,
 ->   {TILEP_MONS_PROGRAM_BUG}, TILE_ERROR
},
So I changed TILE_P_MONS_PROGRAM_BUG to TILEP_BASE_LAVA_ORC. When I summon a Lava Orc now I get the invisible dude silhouette instead of question mark (weird?), but still crashes when Mara Summons. My theory was that for whatever reason Mara's illusion spell was using the monster-tile entry instead of the player-tile.

Weirdly though, none of the TILEP_LAVA_ORC entries worked when summoning the Lava Orc monster, they are always invisible dudes. (this included TILEP_BASE_LAVA_ORC, TILEP_BASE_LAVA_ORC_HEAT, TILEP_LAVA_ORC_HEAT_1 through 11) but when I replaced it with a 'known good' TILEP (Orc High Priest on entry previous) it actually did work for summoning the lava orc, and they appeared as an orc high priest. Still crashes when Mara summons, so put paid to that theory. (some browsing through tile-player.html indicates the invisible icon is probably TILEP_MONS_UNKNOWN or TILEP_MCACHE_START).

So I'm not sure where else to go. I do think this is related to the Lava Orcs changing tile with temperature; the index that is out of range changes with how "hot" the lava orc is, going from idx1 to idx12, as indicated by the crash log:
code:
ERROR in 'rltiles/tiledef-player.cc' at line 17882: ASSERT failed: idx of 4 out of range TILE_MAIN_MAX (1347) .. TILEP_PLAYER_MAX (4317)
(not that hot)
ERROR in 'rltiles/tiledef-player.cc' at line 17882: ASSERT failed: idx of 12 out of range TILE_MAIN_MAX (1347) .. TILEP_PLAYER_MAX (4317)
(on purpose as hot as possible)
There might be some trick being used to jigger the Lava Orc heat transitions that uses a relative a index (1-12, the exact number of different heat tiles) instead an absolute reference to a number somewhere between 1347 and 4317 (base lava orc tile is 2020, lava_orc_heat 2022).

Lastly, just to see what would happen I commented out the Assert on 17882. Stuff worked as per normal, but the Summoned Illusion was kind of weird looking:

Different clothes, looks like different body?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Notepad++ has been suggested in the past and I would just grab that. The extended and regex search and replace is extremely useful, it's free, small quick install, and not intrusive. It gives a right click menu to open almost any file and it's super nice not having to teach your system all the extensions. https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

So my current game I got these as my artefact: the +0 pair of hand wraps "Fists of Thunder" (melded) {elec rElec Slay+2}. I decided to roll with it and went unarmed, but really the only reason I used them long term was I didn't find statue form or blade hands until V5. Blade hands increases damage output (22+UC, +6 slay to offhand) so much there's absolutely no point in using them, and it's just a 5th level spell.

Any thoughts on how this artefact could remain relevant? It's already such a niche item. Could it be an unarmed weapon, the "Fist of Thunder"? Or special case it to work with ice and statue form? Or balance it so it's worth considering staying out of blade hands for the shield or out of statue form for the body armor and boots?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
There are Unarmed fightmans that don't go into Transmutations and would absolutely enjoy having a not-as-resisted brand on top of their already decent base damage. Your other options barring unrands are gloves of strength/dexterity (+3 bonuses to the relevant stat) and archery (a +4 slay bonus purely for ranged weapons). I wouldn't discount its use because of permacast. And don't they allow claws to work too?

EDIT: And Lich form doesn't meld gloves, as far as I can tell.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 29, 2019

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is my build for GrEE good, or should I pick other spells? Branch into Fire Magic sooner? This is how I've played GrEE, but except for that one 15 rune I won I tend to die a lot in the mid to late game. I pick Sif instead of Vehumet in the hopes that I will use the lower level utility spells that you might not or won't get with Vehumet, but usually don't end up actually using them. When I have used Veh I didn't find that the MP refund was that useful, you still end up at 0 MP sometimes and then you have to use a staff of energy which you probably haven't found yet, whereas Sif has channeling

http://oneclickpaste.com/3512/

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 29, 2019

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Relatively minor change idea for making the early game more forgiving: make negatively enchanted items count as enchanted for purposes of appearance.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

sorry, wrong thread

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 29, 2019

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Sage Grimm posted:

And don't they allow claws to work too?

I got them as a Demonspawn Archaeologist, and once my claw mutation hit 3 I could no longer wear them. That was disappointing.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah I had the same happen with Lears hauberk and foot claws. Not sure what Arch box can do really other than look ahead at monstrous mut paths and pick an unaffected one.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I was gonna test it out before I splatted, but does anyone know how faerie dragon works with searing ray? And how searing ray works with battlesphere?

EDIT: WTF +10 club on Robin.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 30, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

King of False Promises posted:

I got them as a Demonspawn Archaeologist, and once my claw mutation hit 3 I could no longer wear them. That was disappointing.

Yeah it doesn't prevent claws 1 and 2 from working so it seems weird that they didn't special case it. Another reason to make it a weapon so Trolls and Ds can equip it.

I won the game anyway, 34/43/34 defenses (in water) with hero plus being able to cast invis made it worth it to swap between blade hands and the FISTS OF THUNDER

I didn't get summon forest in time but if you are a merperson make sure you get that and also carry a phial of floods so you can generate water on demand.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it sounds like the fix is just to make them work w claws 3 tbh

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

fool_of_sound posted:

Relatively minor change idea for making the early game more forgiving: make negatively enchanted items count as enchanted for purposes of appearance.

Wasn't this changed away from exactly that? iirc previously you could wield-id a mundane item to find it was cursed and -5, so it was changed that mundane items are just that, and you roll the dice on glowing.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Serephina posted:

Wasn't this changed away from exactly that? iirc previously you could wield-id a mundane item to find it was cursed and -5, so it was changed that mundane items are just that, and you roll the dice on glowing.

as far as I can tell it's still a thing. i got a cursed -2 'mundane' war axe this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Serephina posted:

They took away the part where mundane could be +2, so you had to try on every robe/aux.