Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

ruddiger posted:

Thanos' cynical ideology isn't anything new, it's just that the idiots who posted Heath Ledger joker memes on Facebook now have a new comic book character to pull empty quotes from whole trying to sound logically edgy on the Internet.

I have met several people who have expressed the sentiment that «Thanos may have been crazy, but he had some good ideas» and like Hundu an Brother Entropy pointed out, they are mostly normal people who arent trying to prove a point. It’s the kind of people who thinks of themselves as apolitical and decent people with common sense, which also are the most vulnerable to the nonsense Thanos spouts cause he’s charismatic and played by a good actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Thor as a failson was the highlight of this movie for me. Hemsworth stole every scene he was in.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 29, 2019

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Vintersorg posted:

Maybe I will get my moment when Kong pummels Godzilla to death.

If Godzilla's your jam, his death in the original movie always does it for me.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Brother Entropy posted:

so the protagonist is whoever wins?

No, that would be stupid.

In a related matter, I have listened to the commentary on Infinity War from the writers and directors and in it they talk about Thanos being the protagonist. They say Thor is a possible alternate protagonist in the story, but in the end it's Thanos, because he wins in the end. Even saying Thor would be the protagonist if he had aimed a little higher at the end.

I don't think they thought it through. But the weirdness about all these movies started to make sense when I heard from the people who made them.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Vintersorg posted:

Maybe I will get my moment when Kong pummels Godzilla to death.

If Godzilla is punked by King Kong than America deserves Trump and nothing better, tbh. Here's a chance to make things right, Hollywood, don't gently caress it up.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Apes-Ma posted:

The people who are suddenly in favour of culling the population cause Josh Brolin is a good actor are some of the dumbest people on the planet.

It's exceptionally dumb since they typically mean culling those people. But the largest CO2 producers per capita are Canadians, Australians, Americans, and the various nations of the Arabian peninsula. But Malthusians has always been the refuge of the privileged and dumb.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

DrNutt posted:

If Godzilla is punked by King Kong than America deserves Trump and nothing better, tbh. Here's a chance to make things right, Hollywood, don't gently caress it up.

Godzilla aint no bitch. He's gonna best Kong, but not before Destoryah shows up, fucks up Godzilla, and then Kong and Godzilla gotta team up like bros to take out this new, would-be king.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

teagone posted:

Godzilla aint no bitch. He's gonna best Kong, but not before Destoryah shows up, fucks up Godzilla, and then Kong and Godzilla gotta team up like bros to take out this new, would-be king.

Godzilla v Kong: Dawn of Kaiju

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

teagone posted:

Yes.

Edward Mass posted:

M. Bison.gif

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Edward Mass posted:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lol. I love that Kong is even armored up too.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Don't look down on people for feeling emotions, especially when the movie was designed specifically to engage with those emotions. I don't know any other way to read this except that you think those people are stupid.

People feeling strong emotions in bad movies should absolutely be mocked. The number of (also bad) movies doesn't change that, it just makes it resemble Stockholm syndrome.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I want that to happen.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

teagone posted:

Lol. I love that Kong is even armored up too.

That's because he's Kong. He's just like a man, only more advanced, and his anus is huge.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

For non-Kaiju nerds.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

For non-Kaiju nerds.

Wiki'd that real quick, and Mechani-Kong inspired Mechagodzilla? Well poo poo.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

something something, tell that to ghidorah's broken necks

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

For non-Kaiju nerds.

This is like one of those meme templates.
Mecha Kong : My $5000 gaming rig.
Kong with boulder : Me forgetting to install an antivirus before pirating games.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

teagone posted:

Wiki'd that real quick, and Mechani-Kong inspired Mechagodzilla? Well poo poo.

I would have bet money it was the other way around. Interesting.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Patrick Bateman is the protagonist of American Psycho. Willem Dafoe is the antagonist

The joke in Americna Psycho is that Patrick Bateman can't find an antagonist.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

garycoleisgod posted:

In a related matter, I have listened to the commentary on Infinity War from the writers and directors and in it they talk about Thanos being the protagonist. They say Thor is a possible alternate protagonist in the story, but in the end it's Thanos, because he wins in the end. Even saying Thor would be the protagonist if he had aimed a little higher at the end.

What the gently caress? lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowman_McK posted:

People feeling strong emotions in bad movies should absolutely be mocked. The number of (also bad) movies doesn't change that, it just makes it resemble Stockholm syndrome.

Oh word?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Can we not do this poo poo where we litigate what movies it is and isn’t okay for people to get emotional at?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Snowman_McK posted:

Totally sane and rational response.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I would have bet money it was the other way around. Interesting.

MechaniKong is just about the first ever evil Robot Duplicate in fiction

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What the gently caress? lol

They're kinda joking about the aim higher bit, but they are serious when they say the reason Thanos is the protag and not Thor is, well, Thanos wins. I didn't know what to think about that. I guess Apollo Creed was the protagonist of Rocky?

And also they confirm that for all the talk of there being a plan that everyone follows, they kinda make it up as they go. Thanos was always set up to be the villain, but they only created the overpopulation thing when making Infinity War. So I assume the reason things don't hang together well from movie to movie in the MCU is that while things like, we need a team-up for the Avengers, we need a Dr Strange film, a Captain Marvel film etc, are all required, what you actually do in those films and moments doesn't matter, because they'll just make something up later anyway.

I don't mind people making it up as they go, why get locked in? But it does get strange when watching movie to movie (see Hulk from Ragnarok, to Infinity War, to Endgame. Try to map out that arc. It's just madlibs)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Unironically, the first movie I remember crying at and my first Big Blockbuster experience.

For some reason my parents wanted to see this opening weekend, so we went to the Cinerama Dome in LA, waited in a 3hour line that stretched around the block opposite to the theatre, and finally grabbed tickets/seats near the back.

The T1000 was an absolute revelation about Computer Graphics and Arnie's thumbs up at the end had me bawling. T2 is, no joke, a big reason why I enjoy cinema and going to the theatre.

And I can only imagine that things like IW or Endgame are giving kids the same kind of wow factor.

Personally, I'm all kinds of emotionally fragile so it doesn't take much to get me weepy and feelin it. Stark willingly hugging Peter after he returns got me a little because it's a nice moment and callback. And things like that just hit on my own personal histories and whatnot.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 29, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Snowman_McK posted:

Marley and Me (or any number of The Dog Dies At The End movies) is not what you would call great cinema, but I would never begrudge someone crying at it because of the emotions that it brings up. People's emotions are weird and different people have any number of triggers for tears, so even if something isn't a good movie it can make someone cry and you shouldn't really give a poo poo if it does. It's like a television finale, some people get emotional because it represents the end of something that has been with them for a while, a sense of finality.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Crying because of the meta-experience of a series ending is lame because it's having your emotional responses to things manipulated for the sake of profit.

Crying because the dog dies or the man is sad is fine.

You might even say that the truth is in the middle :smug:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still wonder what Marvel expects the next movies to do performance wise but other than that who cares, they have more money than God now

Zelder posted:

I feel like people know what a Thanos is now and the whole "kill half the people in the world" thing has somewhat entered the cultural conciousness

When I went to London a cabbie in between telling us how much he doesn't hate black people and Trump needs to kill more immigrants (in London remember) told us how he thought that the guy in Infinity War was right and the Earth could use some halving.

So that was exciting.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Even commercials for insurance can use cheap tricks to tug at your heart strings. A lot of people here are getting older and probably have kids or nieces/nephews or have had parents or parental figures pass and that kind of imagery can hit you hard at different times in your life. This is neither positive or negative toward the movie for what it's worth, you can easily attack the movie and say the emotional beats are cheaply manipulative without attacking the actual audience. On the flip side if someone isn't at the point of their life where a kid at a funeral (or whatever else) is going to hit them hard and is confused you can explain this without acting like they're a sociopath.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

On the flip side if someone isn't at the point of their life where a kid at a funeral (or whatever else) is going to hit them hard and is confused you can explain this without acting like they're a sociopath.

I am genuinely sort of confused why this is something that needs to be explained to someone who isn't a sociopath. I'm not trying to sound snarky, that genuinely confuses me because this is like basic empathy 101. It is not hard to understand why that imagery can impact people regardless of how it impacts you personally.

If someone has reached adulthood (which I assume you are if you're posting on these forums) without grasping the idea of "maybe people have strong emotional responses to specific imagery based on their personal experience" then that's really bewildering.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I am genuinely sort of confused why this is something that needs to be explained to someone who isn't a sociopath. I'm not trying to sound snarky, that genuinely confuses me because this is like basic empathy 101. It is not hard to understand why that imagery can impact people regardless of how it impacts you personally.

If someone has reached adulthood (which I assume you are if you're posting on these forums) without grasping the idea of "maybe people have strong emotional responses to specific imagery based on their personal experience" then that's really bewildering.

For one thing there's a lot of people who are obviously kind of trolling, or trying to bash the movie, and while that's obnoxious it's also obnoxious to act all incredulous like "ah hmmm it appears have a broken emotional center of your brain" and try to pass it off like you're being sincere instead of just trolling right back.

Also there's people who maybe are at a more adolescent or else cynical point in their life, or maybe their family or peers don't like emotional displays much less for some cheesy thing on TV or whatever. So hearing someone say "yeah I totally broke into tears when the older brother gave the younger brother his favorite baseball mitt in that one commercial" sounds kind of fake and forced, because people don't really act like that in their personal experience. And while yeah, agreed, they might need to learn more empathy, I would argue so does anyone who can't imagine such a thing and jumps right to forums psychoanalysis.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
"imagine not having empathy" :irony:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Avengers fans jumping right to assuming people who don't like the film must be mentally unwell, oof.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Won’t lie I’m very cynical these days.

It’s kinda funny getting Facebook memories and seeing status of me gushing like crazy over Marvel movies.

I have no idea what changed. Life is actually really good for me right now lol (stopped video games, playing guitar again, engaged)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Avengers fans jumping right to assuming people who don't like the film must be mentally unwell, oof.

I mean if you are posting on this forum, you probably are.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
More like Avengers: E/Ndgame.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
How do people not understand 'protagonist' does not equal 'is good and right?' Macbeth is a protagonist. Richard II is a protagonist. Blackadder is a protagonist. The protagonist is the central figure whom the story is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

How do people not understand 'protagonist' does not equal 'is good and right?' Macbeth is a protagonist. Richard II is a protagonist. Blackadder is a protagonist. The protagonist is the central figure whom the story is about.

I think the objection is more to the claim that making Thanos the protagonist, if that is really what they did in IW, is this stroke of genius. There's also the problem of people loving up the distinction of someone having a hero's journey and being a hero, on all sides of the argument.

I would say Tony Stark is still the protagonist of IW. Pretty much everything that is said about Thanos can be said about Stark as well, the main difference is that Stark loses at the end. Which doesn't affect his status as a protagonist at all, because as has been pointed out so helpfully in your examples, protagonists can lose in the end.