Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Southern Heel posted:

Correct, but if I end up tapping the wall with the car at least I'm not going to scuff the chrome up if it's against a big old cushion?
The big issue I'd see with it is that it doesn't provide visual forewarning. If there's a desk or box or something, you're not getting a visual indicator of "hey, I'm not lined up right", up until the point you actually hit something.

I also personally wouldn't park a car like that by feel, but to each their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

A quick and dirty thing I did because our garage ceiling is super high was put a strip of blue masking tape on the wall in the exact spot where it would line up with a reference point from my wife's seat in her car, like she pulls in until the tape visually lines up with the right side mirror while she's sitting normally.

It works well and was easy but there's also about 6 inches of wiggle room if she's not perfectly in the right spot for it to match up.

As far as the cushioning, I dunno - to me it seems likely that you're going to hit the cushion more than you'd hit a wall, doing very little damage, but still some damage, since it's going to protrude more than the wall. I'd just use avoidance tools like a tennis ball or tape strip or any of the other suggested things.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

shortspecialbus posted:

A quick and dirty thing I did because our garage ceiling is super high was put a strip of blue masking tape on the wall in the exact spot where it would line up with a reference point from my wife's seat in her car, like she pulls in until the tape visually lines up with the right side mirror while she's sitting normally.

This is what I do. Drew a line on the wall with a magic marker that I stop at when it lines up with my line of sight when looking 90 degrees to the left.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My house came with a laser that was connected to the garage door opener, so it shines down whenever the door opens. Pretty cool and my realtor hadn't seen one before. I aimed it to my wife's dash and she parks same every time. I actually sneaky moved it back a foot or so because she could park more shallow.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

StormDrain posted:

My house came with a laser that was connected to the garage door opener, so it shines down whenever the door opens. Pretty cool and my realtor hadn't seen one before.

Searched "parking laser" on amazon to find these. Pretty cool.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The Harbor Freight version melts your windshield and saws your car in half.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Chunjee posted:

Searched "parking laser" on amazon to find these. Pretty cool.

I never looked it up since I already have one. It's somehow even more basic than the chamberlain one, and it's wired to the garage door opener. But yeah pretty much the same.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Colostomy Bag posted:

The Harbor Freight version melts your windshield and saws your car in half.

I have a hologram of my '06 Dodge Caravan projected into my car hole. I just line up everything to the micro-millimeter and BAM! Perfect ParkingTM

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Has anyone here been to Radwood? It's coming to Vegas this weekend.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Anyone have a recommendation for a rear seat protector? Trying to keep my dog from ruining the leather seats on my new car. I looked on Amazon but the product reviews seem to be super shady, even by Amazon standards

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I think they used the same 5-speed box in all the non-GTs. Happened to our 05 and everyone was saying it was happening back to the 02 model and + a few years as well. My fiancé managed to baby the clutch past 150k and was still using it completely burnt out to the point that it would slip will cruising at a consistent speed, extremely gentle on that car and it still happened. The old mechanic she was using was taking her for a ride and doing a full flush/change like every 15k which pissed me off when I found out, but probably helped in this case due to dumb luck.

Ugh. Yeah, hers is an 05. And her clutch was so bad that she couldn't even get it up to highway speeds in less than a mile or so.

Irony: the shop she took it to "couldn't reproduce the clutch problem". I had to talk to the tech myself and ask if he'd ever driven a car with a slipping clutch. "Yeah I driven plenty of slipping transmissions!". :downs: I wasn't local yet, I had to walk him through HOW TO GET IT TO SLIP (get it up to 40ish, put it in 5th, floor it?)

I like how the car drives (aside from being gutless as hell), but knowing the transmission is a ticking time bomb... she was wanting to hand it over to me when she buys a new car in the next few months. My Saturn is a pile of poo poo, but at least when it breaks, it's either because I overtightened a strut mount bolt :downsgun: or something relatively predictable.

Southern Heel posted:

Correct, but if I end up tapping the wall with the car at least I'm not going to scuff the chrome up if it's against a big old cushion?

I'd worry more about the wall.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Am I overweighting the value of leather seats? I'm looking at 2007-09 Priuses to replace my 2008 that was totaled and had leather and I'm considering older and more expensive listings because they have leather. Especially with a 10-12 year old car, it seems like leather would hold up better over the next 3-5 years, and it wouldn't have accumulated sweat and odors in the same way.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Am I overweighting the value of leather seats? I'm looking at 2007-09 Priuses to replace my 2008 that was totaled and had leather and I'm considering older and more expensive listings because they have leather. Especially with a 10-12 year old car, it seems like leather would hold up better over the next 3-5 years, and it wouldn't have accumulated sweat and odors in the same way.

I much prefer cloth seats over leather. Leather gets uncomfortably cold in winter, uncomfortably hot in summer. I slide around on it until my butt has sweated enough to stick, which is kind of gross when you think about it.

Cloth's main disadvantage is staining. Hitting it with a steam cleaner every couple of years generally takes care of that. Good cloth is more durable than leather, as well.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level

Nohearum posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a rear seat protector? Trying to keep my dog from ruining the leather seats on my new car. I looked on Amazon but the product reviews seem to be super shady, even by Amazon standards

I have this one I picked up locally a few years ago, no complaints and has kept my huge rear end dogs from tearing my rear seats just fine.
https://www.amazon.com/Solvit-Waterproof-Bench-Seat-Cover/dp/B000GL4NPQ

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 25, 2019

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

STR posted:

Ugh. Yeah, hers is an 05. And her clutch was so bad that she couldn't even get it up to highway speeds in less than a mile or so.

Irony: the shop she took it to "couldn't reproduce the clutch problem". I had to talk to the tech myself and ask if he'd ever driven a car with a slipping clutch. "Yeah I driven plenty of slipping transmissions!". :downs: I wasn't local yet, I had to walk him through HOW TO GET IT TO SLIP (get it up to 40ish, put it in 5th, floor it?)

I like how the car drives (aside from being gutless as hell), but knowing the transmission is a ticking time bomb... she was wanting to hand it over to me when she buys a new car in the next few months. My Saturn is a pile of poo poo, but at least when it breaks, it's either because I overtightened a strut mount bolt :downsgun: or something relatively predictable.

I think it came in around $2200 to have the whole transaxle assembly swapped with a used 6-speed. We're not really looking for a new car bill right now and I can't find anything mechanically wrong with it besides the suspension being at the end of its service life, was worth doing in our case even if it only gets us an extra year or two out of it. Considering how reliable its been overall it seemed like a thing worth throwing money at.

Autoexec.bat posted:

I have this one I picked up locally a few years ago, no complaints and has kept my huge rear end dogs from tearing my rear seats just fine.
https://www.amazon.com/Solvit-Waterproof-Bench-Seat-Cover/dp/B000GL4NPQ

There are other ones like this that will also clip to the headrests of the seats in front to keep the dog from getting down in the footwell or scratching up the back of the front seats

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Deteriorata posted:

I much prefer cloth seats over leather. Leather gets uncomfortably cold in winter, uncomfortably hot in summer. I slide around on it until my butt has sweated enough to stick, which is kind of gross when you think about it.

Cloth's main disadvantage is staining. Hitting it with a steam cleaner every couple of years generally takes care of that. Good cloth is more durable than leather, as well.

Whatever cloth material/composite Honda came up with in the 80's and 90's for interiors could survive reentry into earth's orbit. That 87 Civic we had was literally impossible to destroy. But then Mr. Rust paid a visit.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Alright, stupid question time regarding the 2006 Ford Focus C-Max (1.6TDCi engine, so the Duratorq diesel) I bought recently. It's obviously not a new car but is in pretty good condition considering its age. This morning as I was heading to work the car had some issues: Rough idle, no response to the gas pedal at moments, and it eventually stalled and refused to stay running in neutral. I managed to get it running enough to pull into a nearby parking spot, and luckily I had a spare car available as my coworker parked his car at my house for his vacation and was OK with me using it if needed.

Some casual Googling and directions from a coworker shows me it's the MAF that's causing the problems here, and when I disconnected it the idle was suddenly a lot better, no more stuttering in terms of RPM, and no more stalling.

Now, I've already contacted the dealer who should be covering it under the warranty, but would it be safe to keep the MAF disconnected for a few days so I can at least drive until they can take a look at it? Worst case scenario I'm gonna rent a cheap car for a week as we've also got a vacation planned that's about 250km away from where I live now.

Alternatively: How the heck do I get the MAF and air filter off so I can check and clean or replace it myself for this specific model?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, we've had the car for a few weeks without any issues or any indication something might be up, no lights come on in the car itself either, it's got 172k on the clock. I'll have to check the maintenance history to see if the air filter's ever been replaced.

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life
Now that the weather is warmer, my 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5SL seems to be blowing warm air when the AC is turned on. I bought some refrigerant for hopefully an easy fix, but when I attached the gauge, it seemed to read within what was normal for the current outside temperature. I hooked up the extra refrigerant anyway, but the pressure dial jumps all the way to the right way past the max and just stays there. I'm hesitant to try it again as I'm afraid my arm will turn into an icy pink mist.

It appears that the AC compressor isn't spinning, though I've read it could be low refrigerant causing the clutch to not engage? The RPM dial jumps a bit whenever I hit the AC button, and goes back down when I turn it off, but maybe that's just the engine preparing for the extra load of the compressor? I've checked and replaced the fuse under the hood marked 'AC', but still no dice. I'm going to check the compressor relay and other electrical connections, but I'm wondering about the weirdness with re-charging and if I should attempt it again, or does it mean the amount of refrigerant is fine?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fack you posted:

Now that the weather is warmer, my 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5SL seems to be blowing warm air when the AC is turned on. I bought some refrigerant for hopefully an easy fix, but when I attached the gauge, it seemed to read within what was normal for the current outside temperature. I hooked up the extra refrigerant anyway, but the pressure dial jumps all the way to the right way past the max and just stays there. I'm hesitant to try it again as I'm afraid my arm will turn into an icy pink mist.

It appears that the AC compressor isn't spinning, though I've read it could be low refrigerant causing the clutch to not engage? The RPM dial jumps a bit whenever I hit the AC button, and goes back down when I turn it off, but maybe that's just the engine preparing for the extra load of the compressor? I've checked and replaced the fuse under the hood marked 'AC', but still no dice. I'm going to check the compressor relay and other electrical connections, but I'm wondering about the weirdness with re-charging and if I should attempt it again, or does it mean the amount of refrigerant is fine?

Don't just jack refrigerant into it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3852329&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

e: Dammit, that thread fell into the archives. Time to make a new one.

ee: It's back for 2019: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3888018

Motronic fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 25, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

fack you posted:

Does it act like it wants to cycle?

edit: Meaning does the clutch on the compressor come on for a few seconds then stops?

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life

Motronic posted:

Don't just jack refrigerant into it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3852329&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

e: Dammit, that thread fell into the archives. Time to make a new one.

ee: It's back for 2019: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3888018

Oh nice, reading through that now.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Does it act like it wants to cycle?

edit: Meaning does the clutch on the compressor come on for a few seconds then stops?

No, it doesn't spin at all.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

How do I solve an issue like all the cool Japanese wheels being 4 bolt when my hubs are 5 bolt? Previous model of the Supra was 4 bolt but spares for those are impossible to find basically even if they would work.

Am I to forever drive around on lesser wheels?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

How do I solve an issue like all the cool Japanese wheels being 4 bolt when my hubs are 5 bolt? Previous model of the Supra was 4 bolt but spares for those are impossible to find basically even if they would work.

Am I to forever drive around on lesser wheels?

I don't know if they exist, but have you tried searching for 4 lug- 5 lug spacer/adapters?

E: yup they do.

https://wheeladaptersusa.com/collections/4-to-5-lug-wheel-adapters

Don't know anything about or endorse this company, just a half second goggles pisano and this was the first site to come up.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

wesleywillis posted:

I don't know if they exist, but have you tried searching for 4 lug- 5 lug spacer/adapters?

Don't know anything about or endorse this company, just a half second goggles pisano and this was the first site to come up.

I used similar on my E30 to convert from 4 lug to 5 lug and fit the 16" E38 BBS weaves, they end up pretty thick but it works.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 27, 2019

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Alright straight up whats the best power bleeder? My miata brakes feel weak as gently caress after i changed the lines, calipers, rotors and pads and i think i hosed up bleeding the brakes with a questionable motorcycle bleed wrench.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Voltage posted:

Alright straight up whats the best power bleeder? My miata brakes feel weak as gently caress after i changed the lines, calipers, rotors and pads and i think i hosed up bleeding the brakes with a questionable motorcycle bleed wrench.

Something you can't afford as a home gamer, so buy a Motive (https://www.motiveproducts.com/). It works just as well if you aren't using it 4x a day.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

wesleywillis posted:

Cheers but that's 4 to 5 bolt and that site is a clusterfuck to dig through. I did find some elsewhere though.

http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Adapter_5_Lug_4_5_To_4_Lug_4_5_p/5450-4450z.htm

Nice to know it's a thing, they're something to bear in mind when deciding on wheels.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Voltage posted:

Have u bedded the pads in yet

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

BlackMK4 posted:

I used similar on my E30 to convert from 4 lug to 5 lug and fit the 16" E38 BBS weaves, they end up pretty thick but it works.

Mad stance yo!!

I got a new (used) sunroof for my Corolla because the frame on mine rusted the gently caress out. Also got a new weather seal for it. Its hard as gently caress to get on.

Should I use a silicone spray for lubricant? Something else?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

The old mechanic she was using was taking her for a ride and doing a full flush/change like every 15k which pissed me off when I found out, but probably helped in this case due to dumb luck.

Just a quick question, but oil change is every 10,000km/6000 miles or so, right? And you change the filter when you change the oil?

Or do you mean changing transmission fluid/gearbox oil and power steering fluid and brake fluid as well?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I'm looking to add front/rear cameras to my truck for reversing/parking kinda uses. This is separate from the dashcam and doesn't need to record. Does anyone have any suggestions for good cameras and a compatible screen that can accept the cameras and also something like a raspberry pi?

Searching for these things are quite awkward because a lot of the results are dashcam related, and amazon just wants me to buy canned solutions that wont allow for an aux raspi setup.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

tuna posted:

I'm looking to add front/rear cameras to my truck for reversing/parking kinda uses. This is separate from the dashcam and doesn't need to record. Does anyone have any suggestions for good cameras and a compatible screen that can accept the cameras and also something like a raspberry pi?

Searching for these things are quite awkward because a lot of the results are dashcam related, and amazon just wants me to buy canned solutions that wont allow for an aux raspi setup.

Backup cameras? I'm just starting the same project on my truck

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Back on the 2005 Escalade -- I got it back from the transmission guy a few weeks ago and it's shifting fine with a couple new solenoids. That's great.

However, it's been randomly no-starting. It started right after I got it back, so I figured the shift cable needed to be adjusted, but then it worked for a couple weeks. Then it started doing it more frequently. Transmission selector shows the right gear on the dash, strong "click" from the solenoid when turning the key in park or neutral. But nothing else. It has fully refused to start since Saturday.

I jumpered the negative battery terminal to the block to make sure there wasn't a ground problem. Battery is new and strong.

At this point, with the solenoid giving a loud click, I've got a new starter on the way. In looking at it, I can see an "Ultima" tag on the starter, so someone's replaced it with a reman before (not mentioned to me, I bought it 3 years ago with 98k miles).

I'm thinking it's just the starter that needs to be replaced... am I missing anything else?

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

My neighbor had some starting issues with his Cadillac this weekend. It seems to be the amp draining the battery, but my first thought was the security system engaging in some fashion. My understanding is that GM starter interrupt issues will result in symptoms similar to what you are experiencing. Any security lights flashing?

quote:

I see this a lot working on cars GM vehicles equipped with Passlock. The Hall effect or Passlock sensor inside the lock cylinder housing goes bad intermittently and the Body Control module forgets the code or signal from the sensor and the 10 minute relearn procedure needs to be done in order to get the vehicle started. We do it all of the time at the shop for our customers. If the Passlock sensor is good along with the rest of the components, leaving the key in the ON or RUN position will usually to the trick. In addition, this procedure will need to be done anytime the Body Control Module loses its memory.

In my neighbor's case we tried jumping multiple times, no dice. A ton of clicking all over the dash and door panels though. Would not release the key.
Disconnected the battery for 5 mins then reconnected and jumped again, started!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Chunjee posted:

My neighbor had some starting issues with his Cadillac this weekend. It seems to be the amp draining the battery, but my first thought was the security system engaging in some fashion. My understanding is that GM starter interrupt issues will result in symptoms similar to what you are experiencing. Any security lights flashing?

In my neighbor's case we tried jumping multiple times, no dice. A ton of clicking all over the dash and door panels though. Would not release the key.
Disconnected the battery for 5 mins then reconnected and jumped again, started!

I don't think it's the case, from what I can tell... the starter only has 2 wires going to it (and the solenoid, they're one unit), so if the solenoid is clicking, I think that should be the only signal it gets to engage the starter...? Also, the passkey light on the dash goes out with the rest of the lights.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I wouldn't rule out the battery even if it is young.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

meatpimp posted:

I don't think it's the case, from what I can tell... the starter only has 2 wires going to it (and the solenoid, they're one unit), so if the solenoid is clicking, I think that should be the only signal it gets to engage the starter...? Also, the passkey light on the dash goes out with the rest of the lights.

You can test your starter by jumping 12V directly to one of those lines. In addition if the line is corroded or not holding under load, I'd expect a click and no action.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Colostomy Bag posted:

I wouldn't rule out the battery even if it is young.

I think I've got a spare battery I can jumper to, I'll try that.

Chunjee posted:

You can test your starter by jumping 12V directly to one of those lines. In addition if the line is corroded or not holding under load, I'd expect a click and no action.

I haven't looked at the wiring enough to know what goes where, the wires to the solenoid are inaccessible without removing the starter first. Another complication is that I have it pulled into the garage, with no way to move it... the driveway has a steep slope, so if I move it back, there's no way to get it back into the garage... so space is tight.

Edit: Since it's a reman'd starter that's over 3 years old, should that be a flag? I've never had luck, or heard of luck, with reman'd electrical stuff.

Edit2: Also on my troubleshooting list was swapping the starter relay. I did that with no change in operation.

Edit3: I tried to jump it and tried to start it with a 50amp booster, no change, just a strong solenoid click.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 29, 2019

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Assistance pls. I done rekt my fuel line for my 1982 s10 while removing the carb. A replacement is like $140, I'm wondering how hard it is to make my own from a roll of fuel line. Highly mechanically inclined, just never done it before. Do I need any special tools installing the fittings?

Additionally, wtf is this weird gasket thing that sits between the bottom of the carb and the top of the engine? Can't find it in the parts fiche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

tuna posted:

I installed one of these a few weeks ago https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M5W3243 , the quality is pretty solid although im personally not a big fan of the license plate mount since it half blocks my tailgate handle. There are bullet style cameras that install inside your door/bumper/whatever which might be a better option. (https://www.amazon.com/RAAYOO-Universal-Installation-Guildlines-non-mirror/dp/B074P45P7G)

A raspberry pi would be way overcomplicating things as amazon has hundreds of options for monitors with multiple inputs like this one https://www.amazon.com/Inch-Car-Rear-View-Monitor/dp/B01MU0KFKS

Long Francesco fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 29, 2019