Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

right we still have to do The Scouring of the Shire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Red Pyramid posted:

Episode was pretty good. Anime Arya was fun. Highlight was her and the Hound in an action scene together again. Gleganebowl will absolutely overshadow Battle of Winterfell.

Lmao at the dorks thar have always complained about the White Walker sub-plot now complaining about said sub-plot coming to an unceremonious end because of bad mEdEvAl BaTtLe TaCtIcS. This show was always knights, wizards, and dragons. If you want something serious try reading a real book.

The posters in this thread have oscillated back and forth between "the white walkers were always dumb, the court intrigue was the real good part of the show" and "the white walkers were the big bad from episode 1 and this court drama is getting in the way of that confrontation" and so now that the producers have decided which side they agree with people are getting pissy.

The way the battle was going, unless someone killed the Night King no one was getting out of Winterfell. Didn't matter if it was Jon or Arya or Moon Boy.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Just Chamber posted:

Can they? They established early on that you can literally chop them to pieces with regular weapons and they'll keep going. Like the hand in the jar early on. I do think Dragon glass shuts them down for good.

I'm not sure about this. The Night King resurrects all the zombies after they've been cut down.

Maybe the dragonglass stops them but his magic can start them? Sounds like the Night King, with some dragonglass, could produce an infinite-energy dynamo.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I know everyone expected a lot of main cast deaths this episode but in hindsight those deaths would have been pretty anticlimactic. Impactful deaths on this show always come in extraordinary situations, at the hands of people with some relationship to the person being killed. Being killed by zombies is pretty lame and if Jamie or someone went down that way it would have been disappointing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TheRat posted:

You know that time doesn't have to pass in a linear way right? If you spend 10 minutes on a different scene that doesn't mean 10 minutes must have passed in the previous location when you go back.

You realize overwhelming forces don't work that way either, right? Facing 50 zombies running at you all at once doesn't mean they're all going to line up politely and ask to fight one after another. Like, the power of editing is literally what saves some of these characters from certain death.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Melisandre at the end should have addressed characters that are clearly just alive due to plot armor like Jaime, Brienne etc and said "Yea you only survived because the Lord of Light likes your characters and thinks Cersei needs to get hers". The finale ends with a cut to the Lord of Light watching the credits and saying "What a poo poo ending" before ranting on some forums.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

CornHolio posted:

I'm not sure about this. The Night King resurrects all the zombies after they've been cut down.

Maybe the dragonglass stops them but his magic can start them? Sounds like the Night King, with some dragonglass, could produce an infinite-energy dynamo.

No he doesn't. He ressurects all the people who died fighting for the living. Like, you literally see Dolorous Edd, Qhono and Lyanna Mormont get re-animated with blue eyes.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's really too bad arya didn't say I am no man while stabbing the night/witch king in the knee with a magic dagger

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

CornHolio posted:

I think we're supposed to assume that the Dragonglass has killed the zombies that were attacking Winterfell but the zombies he reanimates are the defenders that were lost in the battle, hence why we dont see the giant get up with Lady Mormont for example.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

All this talk of Arya teleporting despite there being a giant tree above everyone's heads in that scene.

Is it outside the realm of possibility that she just silently climbed out into the tree branches while everyone was watching Theon pull a "LEEEEEEROOYYYYY!!!" and dropped down on the NK?

That only works if Arya teleported behind the tree but she didn't, her back was to the horde of undead, so she didn't come from the direction of the tree. The entire sequence is cool but makes no sense.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
It turns out that a slow steady stream of zombies is much more deadly than a bunch of zombies at once

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I said come in! posted:

That only works of Arya teleported behind the tree but she didn't, her back was to the horde of undead. The entire sequence is cool but makes no sense.

It's the Godswoods, not the Godstree. There's a lot of trees there.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

I said come in! posted:

That only works if Arya teleported behind the tree but she didn't, her back was to the horde of undead, so she didn't come from the direction of the tree. The entire sequence is cool but makes no sense.

She ran mega fast (arms straight back) past the striking Others and that's why there was the one second clip of an Other having his hair blow in the wind of her running by

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

mastershakeman posted:

It's really too bad arya didn't say I am no man while stabbing the night/witch king in the knee with a magic dagger

Fool! No one can kill me!

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
So Jon's dragon is just injured right? Otherwise when the Night King cast Resurrect All the dragon would have been rezzed too right? Or did they just run out of CGI budget and/or lazy and forgot about the dragon?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

RBA Starblade posted:

Fool! No one can kill me!

Perfect in every way

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I said come in! posted:

She hit sneak 100 in the library scene and then was able to choose a temporary invisibility feat.

Duh.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

th3t00t posted:

So Jon's dragon is just injured right? Otherwise when the Night King cast Resurrect All the dragon would have been rezzed too right? Or did they just run out of CGI budget and/or lazy and forgot about the dragon?

Both dragons are fine, as is ghost. They're all in ep4 previews looking healthy

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

She hit sneak 100 in the library scene and then was able to choose a temporary invisibility feat.

Duh.

You joke but the entire battle played out like a Dungeon Master giving all of the players a free pass until they rolled a 20.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Plenty of trees for Arya to jump from. Plenty of valid complaints about this episode but how the already established ghost like assassin got to the Night King without his guards noticing probably shouldnt be one of them

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
the library scene was very draugr dungeon, just needed a death knight shout

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

mastershakeman posted:

Both dragons are fine, as is ghost. They're all in ep4 previews looking healthy

I’m pretty sure they keep Ghost around at this point as a joke so people go “hey it’s Ghost!” When he shows up barely in a scene

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

ElGroucho posted:

Uh, congrats on enjoying mediocrity

90% of content out there is mediocre, might as well enjoy SOME of it before climate change kills us all. :shrug:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

TheRat posted:

No he doesn't. He ressurects all the people who died fighting for the living. Like, you literally see Dolorous Edd, Qhono and Lyanna Mormont get re-animated with blue eyes.

Oh, good call. Guess I assumed it was everybody.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Just Chamber posted:

Plenty of valid complaints about this episode but how the already established ghost like assassin got to the Night King without his guards noticing probably shouldnt be one of them

:yeah:

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

mary had a little clam posted:

90% of content out there is mediocre, might as well enjoy SOME of it before climate change kills us all. :shrug:

You mean before we teleport behind climate change and kill it right?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Arya's skill points are in Illusion, not Stealth

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Arya was wearing a wight face she just took it off like 1ms before she long jumped at the NK

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

mcbexx posted:

Jon's a Targaryen. He can't be burned. Blue flames nonwithstanding.

We very explicitly see Jon burn his hand with a lantern all the way back in Season 1.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Thom and the Heads posted:

If the night king and zombie army are climate change, the lesson is humanity doesn't need to unite at all, some folks just need to take one for the team

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ruddiger posted:

Multiple shots of hero characters getting smashed into by an overwhelming horde only to cut away at the last second, then when the camera cuts back they're still fighting the zombies one at a time. I had a good time during this ep, but that poo poo was dumb, they body count of known characters should've been way higher. That shot of Jamie seeing all the heroes fighting together in the courtyard was laughable.

Brienne, Jaime, and Pod all had full suits of armor, and the average Joes didn't.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/kerithburke/status/1122879130519793664?s=21

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So what makes dragon glass and valyrian steel weapons special that they can kill white walkers?

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Thom and the Heads posted:

You just know Elon Musk thinks he's going to do that somehow

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Did Ghost get a dragonglass grill or something because otherwise there's no way he should have even been there.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Arya's skill points are in Illusion, not Stealth

They've established the faceless men are all about both. Jaqen H'ghar in Harrenhal was basically a ghost who killed people.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Zotix posted:

So what makes dragon glass and valyrian steel weapons special that they can kill white walkers?

~ magic ~

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zotix posted:

They're touched by fire.

Of course, fire and dragonfire themselves don't do anything against the others, that'd be silly.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Zotix posted:

Supposedly that they were made by dragon's fire, which makes the Night King's immunity to dragon fire stupid as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Zotix posted:

magic