Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Woof Blitzer posted:

Got any resources for this?

Unfortunately it's all in-house. My team did this for NSX, and build a bunch of ancillary tools to automate more and more of our NSX management. It's all built in powershell around API calls and json files. I'm currently working on porting some of the tools to docker, which is a really fun project.

The networking team has asked us to show them some of our API magic to see how heavily they want to invest in development hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Our Network engineers have to spin up 2 - 6 ASAs a month. Their current method is some Excel file that they copy into flat text, manually change template values for the specific deployment, and then copy it in over step by step into the CLI.

Their current automation efforts involve Ansible taking over the process of sending the steps through to the CLI, which is only half of the solution. I'm trying to cut them off at the pass to show them how they can have scripts collect the deployment value for them, build a full configuration from a better template, and deliver it to the box without any additional intervention.

it'd be pretty cool if i could script the deployment of new ASAs from copying images to installing and configuring SFR to putting the correct config for the site on there...

We rolled out about 35 ASA's that are subject to a hardware defect and it's been hell replacing them. At the point now where I've got about 15 ASA's to configure(all the rest have been sent/replaced) and just installing the SFR image over FTP takes like 2.5 hours by itself. I do the imaging and configuration locally at my desk before sending them out though.

I haven't done much digging besides checking out the Ansible docs but I have a hard time understanding how you can script the config part to pull the correct info and stuff.. Would be cool to hear more.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 28, 2019

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

Is there anything I need to know about regarding back-to-back vPC and SVI? This is my first time doing back-to-back VPC or Nexus SVI.
A little research led me to the command peer-gateway, which I entered on my 93180 pair under vpc domain 1. This appears to have solved my problem. It is a little wishy-washy as to whether this is best practice or just an unsupported crutch.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Do ASA's not support ZTP/DHCP auto config?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

adorai posted:

A little research led me to the command peer-gateway, which I entered on my 93180 pair under vpc domain 1. This appears to have solved my problem. It is a little wishy-washy as to whether this is best practice or just an unsupported crutch.

TAC had us enable that when we were having similar problems with a new build.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite

Woof Blitzer posted:

Got any resources for this?

https://github.com/colin-mccarthy/ansible_csv

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

adorai posted:

I have that on all 3 of my vPC pairs. I think I also threw peer-switch on it for good luck as well.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

abigserve posted:

There's an abstract question in there about whether CLI's will ever truly disappear and honestly - I think they will. Maybe not for another 10 years but I fully anticipate a network device be released that only has an API, where the "CLI" is simply a wrapper around API calls (bigswitch I think is already like this for example).
pfSense is going this way too. It was supposed to happen for the 2.5 release but it's been put off because FreeBSD 12 was ready before the new config platform and they wanted to update for other reasons.

The end goal is that the CLI and web interface are both just different frontends to a RESTCONF based API.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does anybody have anything to say about Wi-Fi sensors like the Cape Networks stuff, or Cisco's Aironet Active Sensor?

To expand on that vague question - are people seeing any value in it? Do you put them in to troubleshoot issues, or just to prove your networks are working?

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 28, 2019

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I would suggest looking at something like Voyance instead. It is infrastructure side but also includes a deployable client for corporate machines to perform synthetic testing and reports on client health. Very impressed with their product

Edit: I had to do a vendor analysis of the Cisco device, 7signal, Cape networks, and armis and voyance basically combined everything into a better systen

Sepist fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 28, 2019

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've got some new ASA 5506-X that I'm getting ready to configure and deploy. Looking at the code releases for them makes me a bit nervous. Their suggested release is 9.10.1 interim, but they also have 9.12.1 code available. Is anyone running these, what version of code are you using?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We're still running 9.8(2)38 on our 5516.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
9.6(3)1 over here

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

9.6(4)3. It's been a while.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've got some new ASA 5506-X that I'm getting ready to configure and deploy. Looking at the code releases for them makes me a bit nervous. Their suggested release is 9.10.1 interim, but they also have 9.12.1 code available. Is anyone running these, what version of code are you using?

If you figure out what the gently caress is going on with Cisco version numbering, please let us all know. See thread title.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Speaking of Cisco versions and WTF, apparently Unity 11.0 is EOL now and TAC will give you poo poo (like they are currently giving me on the phone please end my suffering) if you open a case on it.

I swear that only came out like three years ago.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah it’s EOL announced February 2017. Upgrade your poo poo !!!

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
8.6.1 and 10.5 are still supported though, hah.

They must really want 11 users on 11.5.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

less than three posted:

Ask your SE to find out what the version lifecycle/release strategy is, for XR the first point releases under a minor are short term to squash the bugs, then when they hit .3/.4 or so it becomes an extended maintenance release with 1 year of of additional bug fixes distributed via SMU/SP, 3 years of security fixes, and 6 years of software support: https://community.cisco.com/t5/service-providers-documents/ios-xr-release-strategy-and-deployment-recommendation/ta-p/3165422

On the ASA side we've tried to stick to 9.8 for a while now, the even minor (9.6, 9.8, 9.10, 9.12) releases for ASA are extended maintenance (22 months of bugfix releases + 12 months of security from FCS) and 1 is released per year in the Spring:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/asa-5500-series-next-generation-firewalls/bulletin-c25-738209.html

Wikipedia says 9.8 FCS'd in May 2017 so I guess I need to find a new release to migrate to this year.

I think IOS-XE version numbering is starting to follow a pattern similar to the XR release strategy, except for them it's the first couple of minor releases in a release codename (just based on what releases tend to get gold stars for my platforms).
-edit-
Yeah, every third release (and recent codenames have been releasing in 3s) is EMR for IOS-XE: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-1000-series-aggregation-services-routers/product_bulletin_c25-726436.html coming with 48 months of rebuilds.

ragzilla fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 19, 2019

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Going on a lunch date with our Cisco guy tomorrow. Anybody have any flirting tips, things they like, turn ons, that sort of thing? He seems cute and I don’t want to blow it.

E: my stack of PO numbers is coming too

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

less than three posted:

Yeah it seems to depend on install base and take - see 12.0 as an example of this.

They recently talked about how they want to handle patch and release cadence going forward as well, that they plan to speed up at this point since they’re making cluster upgrades easier.

You can tell though they have some big customers who influence things to a point. There are always people who will not want to upgrade or replace anything - the amount of crying about UCM 14 deprecating 15+ year old java computer phones is nutty.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Tetramin posted:

Going on a lunch date with our Cisco guy tomorrow. Anybody have any flirting tips, things they like, turn ons, that sort of thing? He seems cute and I don’t want to blow it.

E: my stack of PO numbers is coming too

Make sure to tell them how huge your budget is and keep repeating "no ones ever been fired for buying Cisco"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Partycat posted:

Yeah it seems to depend on install base and take - see 12.0 as an example of this.

They recently talked about how they want to handle patch and release cadence going forward as well, that they plan to speed up at this point since they’re making cluster upgrades easier.

You can tell though they have some big customers who influence things to a point. There are always people who will not want to upgrade or replace anything - the amount of crying about UCM 14 deprecating 15+ year old java computer phones is nutty.

Hey dude I’m that guy who complains about replacing 15 year old working phones. Got 200 of em working just fine buddy.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Partycat posted:

I'll be fine until the day they deprecate CIPCs. That little bit of software has saved my rear end more times than I can count.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Our call center uses CIPC but we’re migrating them all to Multiline jabber.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
A purely soft phone call center frightens me for probably illogical reasons.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It actually works really really well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If everybody has headsets anyway and only receives inbound calls, or their outbound calls are determined for them, then having the deskphone does seem like an unnecessary expense.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah they all have Jabra wireless headsets too. The only time it doesn’t work well is if someone also needs a laptop. CIPC doesn’t work well moving from Ethernet to WiFi.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Bigass Moth posted:

A purely soft phone call center frightens me for probably illogical reasons.

Why? That is how the call center at Vonage was when I left it...in 2006. It isn't exactly cutting edge.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

GreenNight posted:

Our call center uses CIPC but we’re migrating them all to Multiline jabber.

we're working on getting ccx in place for the call center at an acquisition, they all use some avaya softphone. im really pushing to upgrade cucm so we can get them multiline jabber when we convert them to cucm rather than deploying IP communicator or some poo poo but i doubt it's gonna happen. we are on 11.5 so most people dont see a need to upgrade

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I think it’s because I’ve worked with so many computer illiterate people that I would feel more comfortable if they had a physical phone to answer.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Tetramin posted:

we're working on getting ccx in place for the call center at an acquisition, they all use some avaya softphone. im really pushing to upgrade cucm so we can get them multiline jabber when we convert them to cucm rather than deploying IP communicator or some poo poo but i doubt it's gonna happen. we are on 11.5 so most people dont see a need to upgrade

Yeah I don’t recommend IP communicator at all. It hasn’t been upgraded in years.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Yeah they all have Jabra wireless headsets too. The only time it doesn’t work well is if someone also needs a laptop. CIPC doesn’t work well moving from Ethernet to WiFi.

You can specify an artificial device name instead of the adapter name , but then CTI won’t work properly if you need control .

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Tetramin posted:

Multi line works on 11.5 - Jabber 12 shipped with a COP that enables this if you aren’t up on SU . SU6 just came out.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Partycat posted:

Multi line works on 11.5 - Jabber 12 shipped with a COP that enables this if you aren’t up on SU . SU6 just came out.

Oh awesome I’ll look into that. Thanks.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Got a user who is trying to do a bunch of video encoding that all goes into an old 3560X, despite the uplink being a two gig fiber port channel I see a ton of output drops on the physical interfaces. No QoS on the line, its all multicast traffic from what I can tell, and its only about 30 Mbps when the video is getting uploaded to the 3560X.

Am I wrong that this is probably just an issue with the CPU getting maxed out from bursty type traffic:

code:
            1 1 1        1    111     1111   1  1    1       1      11 111
100     * * *        *    ***     ****   *  *    *       *      ** ***
 90     * * *   *    *    *** *   ****   *  *    *       *     *** ****
 80   * * * *   **   **   *** *   **** ***  ** ***     * ** *  ***********
 70 **********************************************************************
 60 **********************************************************************
 50 ********************************************#*******************####*#
 40 ######################################################################
 30 ######################################################################
 20 ######################################################################
 10 ######################################################################
             0    5    0    5    0    5    0    5    0    5    0    5    0
                   CPU% per hour (last 72 hours)
                  * = maximum CPU%   # = average CPU%

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 29, 2019

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

If the multicast traffic is hitting the CPU instead of being forwarded through the ASICs then there could definitely be a bottleneck there.

"show processes cpu | exclude 0.00" might give a more accurate answer as to what's eating the CPU up.

e: Might be able to get CPU drop reasons from "show controllers cpu-interface" as well.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 29, 2019

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

IPv6 multicast is definitely a CPU punt on 2960-X platform so, sight unseen, it seems likely to also be true for a 3560

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Got a user who is trying to do a bunch of video encoding that all goes into an old 3560X, despite the uplink being a two gig fiber port channel I see a ton of output drops on the physical interfaces. No QoS on the line, its all multicast traffic from what I can tell, and its only about 30 Mbps when the video is getting uploaded to the 3560X.

Am I wrong that this is probably just an issue with the CPU getting maxed out from bursty type traffic:

code:
            1 1 1        1    111     1111   1  1    1       1      11 111
100     * * *        *    ***     ****   *  *    *       *      ** ***
 90     * * *   *    *    *** *   ****   *  *    *       *     *** ****
 80   * * * *   **   **   *** *   **** ***  ** ***     * ** *  ***********
 70 **********************************************************************
 60 **********************************************************************
 50 ********************************************#*******************####*#
 40 ######################################################################
 30 ######################################################################
 20 ######################################################################
 10 ######################################################################
             0    5    0    5    0    5    0    5    0    5    0    5    0
                   CPU% per hour (last 72 hours)
                  * = maximum CPU%   # = average CPU%

Bursty traffic + 3k/2k type platforms usually means buffer overruns. If you have mls qos enabled on the device check the show mls qos interface <blah> statistics counters and check for 'output queues dropped'. If you're seeing significant drops in one of those queues (usually queue 2 for untagged DSCP traffic) you can recarve the buffers system wide with mls qos queue-set output 1 buffers 10 70 10 10. Alternatively you could use queue-set output 2 (instead of 1) and change the queue-set for that interface.

v6 multicast would only be an issue if it was getting routed by the device, l2 multicast should hardware switch as normal once the path is set up via IGMP (or flood if it's unknown multicast).