Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Carol Danvers and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Astro7x posted:

An idea that I had read before was that nobody was truly dusted out of existence like Thanos said. Instead, it would have created two realities with 50% of the population living in each. And the Quantum Realm would have been the link between those two.

drat tbh that would have been fun

my personal hope was that they would continuously gently caress up their time heists and keep having to go further and further back in time to steal pym/fail to steal the stones, over and over again, until they end up at the big bang at the start of the universe when the stones were first created

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
IMO the time travel details are unimportant/boring and don't need to be 'figured out' and instead we should focus on overall events, character development, direction/editing/story choices, etc etc but I guess we're doomed to rehash the first thing until the heat death of the universe

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They shouldn't even have used time travel as a plot point in the fist place. It's lazy and cliched. loving Donner's Superman already did that poo poo back in the 70s, the X-Men did it with Days of Future Past in 2014, and Deadpool did it just last year. Talk about tapping the time well dry.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is Jarvis the only television originating MCU character to ever appear in a Marvel movie?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

FistEnergy posted:

IMO the time travel details are unimportant/boring and don't need to be 'figured out' and instead we should focus on overall events, character development, direction/editing/story choices, etc etc but I guess we're doomed to rehash the first thing until the heat death of the universe

okay, but the answer to that is incredibly obvious and boring: the time travel was a plot device to give a bunch of characters a shot at closure with dead friends and family. there we go.

if they wanted to do something interesting with that, they could have explored the temptation to change things inherent in time travel. i thought it was almost interesting when iron man and thor immediately took the opportunity to seek out dead family, but captain america resisted the urge to interfere with peggy in 1970. was this a good decision? is this act of stoicism why he could pick up the hammer later? actually, it doesn't matter to the story at all and he goes back and marries her anyway, so whatever

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

FistEnergy posted:

Hey, I loved the movie. And I also love Time Travel movies. Unfortunately, there is more to talk about with time travel than about how the movie made me feel good about what that character did.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Is Jarvis the only television originating MCU character to ever appear in a Marvel movie?

According to that interview just posted, yes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Astro7x posted:

According to that interview just posted, yes.
Wait, was that TV Jarvis from Agent Peggy? I thought it was Paul Bettany.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That is not what Paul Battany looks like.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

FilthyImp posted:

Wait, was that TV Jarvis from Agent Peggy? I thought it was Paul Bettany.

It was TV Jarvis.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Venuz Patrol posted:

There's the obvious answer, which is that the time travel was transparently written as a ploy for nostalgia.

The more complex answer: the specific rules of time travel don't matter much to me, but following through on them after they're established is important. Endgame pretends that paradoxes are a problem at first, but quickly shows that it doesn't matter how you gently caress around with a timeline as long as you give the infinity stones back eventually. If you think about the possibilities that stem from this, particularly if you take the same stance the heroes apparently do that alternate realities created from said loving around aren't worth caring about, this movie could have been a hell of a lot more fun.

the mid-movie retcon over what they can do in the past still could have been good if they had continued escalating things, but instead steve and stark go straight back to pretending they can't touch anything they're not supposed to in 1970. they should have gone in guns blazing! paradoxes are fake and almost everyone who works at this base is a nazi double agent, so who cares. go hog wild

Nahh it's consistent. Paradoxes do matter, the movie just handles them differently. They can't accidentally create a paradox because the rules of time travel won't allow them to, they can't change their own past or their own future. When they meddle in the past it creates a new timeline moving forward in a different direction, but they will only ever return to their own original timeline. Returning the infinity stones to when/where you found them doesn't "fix" a timeline or sync them back up with the original, it just doesn't gently caress over the people in that one who will eventually need the stones to save them.

Also the presence of Howard Stark and Peggy Carter should make it fairly obvious to Steve & Tony that not everyone working at this base is a willing Nazi co-conspirator so that's probably why they wouldn't suddenly go on an uncharacteristic murder spree.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hobo Clown posted:

Nahh it's consistent. Paradoxes do matter, the movie just handles them differently. They can't accidentally create a paradox because the rules of time travel won't allow them to, they can't change their own past or their own future. When they meddle in the past it creates a new timeline moving forward in a different direction, but they will only ever return to their own original timeline. Returning the infinity stones to when/where you found them doesn't "fix" a timeline or sync them back up with the original, it just doesn't gently caress over the people in that one who will eventually need the stones to save them.

Also the presence of Howard Stark and Peggy Carter should make it fairly obvious to Steve & Tony that not everyone working at this base is a willing Nazi co-conspirator so that's probably why they wouldn't suddenly go on an uncharacteristic murder spree.

Howard WAS looking for Dr Zola

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
This thread has made me laugh a lot - like the rats population problem and (I think someone said this) the idea that Hawkeye kept paying his wife's cellphone bill after 5 years.

I thought the movie was okay. Just like after watching Infinity War, I just didn't have any strong emotional attachment to these characters, but I did appreciate how they tried to explore some new ground and bring arcs and stories to a close. There were some nice touches and fun moments peppered throughout. The time travel paradoxes and stuff didn't really work for me either, and it seems to me that a better route would have been to frame the time travel issues around the permanency of the infinity stones - like the infinity stones are the one thing in the universe that are fixed. The snap could never not happen, and the stones can never not be where the movies show them. Maybe stealing them is always temporary, making time/reality go fuzzy the longer they aren't returned to their proper timeline, which would open the door to Thanos and paradoxes without harming the larger sweep of time. But whatever - I get that it was hard (if not impossible) to write a script this big to pay homage to these characters and years of storytelling and background and bring it to some sort of close.

Thor was so fun. Ant-man, too. Really, you could argue this wasn't an Avengers movie but Ant-man 3?

Also, where are the US Marines in these movies? And why the fixation on upstate New York?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Howard WAS looking for Dr Zola

I mean the whole plot of Winter Soldier was that nobody knew what Zola & Hydra were doing and the whole plot of Civil War was about Hydra killing Howard, but maybe

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My biggest gripe was that Bucky didn't factor into the final battle enough considering how important he is to Cap's story. I'd have enjoyed like a little Cap+Bucky vs. Thanos battle but I guess at that point the situation was so chaotic it would've been hard to pull off. I know this isn't Captain America 4 but I still thought Bucky got a raw deal there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Basebf555 posted:

My biggest gripe was that Bucky didn't factor into the final battle enough considering how important he is to Cap's story. I'd have enjoyed like a little Cap+Bucky vs. Thanos battle but I guess at that point the situation was so chaotic it would've been hard to pull off. I know this isn't Captain America 4 but I still thought Bucky got a raw deal there.

I love how by the end of the franchise Winter Soldier's power is essentially "owns gun"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Basebf555 posted:

I know this isn't Captain America 4 but I still thought Bucky got a raw deal there.
Shot of Bucky picking up Cap's jacked up shield and going to town on mooks with Steve? yeah, that's gonna need to be in the special limited collector's edition 3hr 10 minute BluRay.

Now that this arc is done, are we getting a special collected release like with the Phase X sets?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

Now that this arc is done, are we getting a special collected release like with the Phase X sets?

I'm betting no, because it's just too many films to put all in one set and expect it's still going to sell as well as smaller individual sets like the 4 Avengers films in a set or Cap/Iron Man/Thor Trilogy sets. Like, how many people would really buy a full Infinity Saga set that costs like $400?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

I'm betting no, because it's just too many films to put all in one set and expect it's still going to sell as well as smaller individual sets like the 4 Avengers films in a set or Cap/Iron Man/Thor Trilogy sets. Like, how many people would really buy a full Infinity Saga set that costs like $400?

I would! I would love a neat blu-ray boxset of the whole of phases 1,2 and 3. :D

youwantsomewang
Sep 2, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I love how by the end of the franchise Winter Soldier's power is essentially "owns gun"

Picture yourself as Bucky during IW and Endgame:

*Fires machine gun into wave after wave of cannon fodder*
*gets snapped*
*gets unsnapped*
*walks through a portal*
*fires machine gun into wave after wave of cannon fodder*

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

VideoGames posted:

I would! I would love a neat blu-ray boxset of the whole of phases 1,2 and 3. :D

I guess my assumption is that people who really like the movies have probably bought some of them already, so a complete set puts more potential buyers in a position of having to double dip. Smaller individual sets gives people more options to not have to spend money on stuff they've already bought before, which I think in the long run would end up selling more stuff overall. Plus you don't have that high price tag as a deterrent, most people aren't looking to buy 20+ movies all at once.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

youwantsomewang posted:

*gets snapped*
*gets unsnapped*
*walks through a portal*

The super hosed up thing is that they seem to be aware they stopped existing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bernie Sanders: Endgame
https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1122950001657827328?s=19

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

I guess my assumption is that people who really like the movies have probably bought some of them already, so a complete set puts more potential buyers in a position of having to double dip. Smaller individual sets gives people more options to not have to spend money on stuff they've already bought before, which I think in the long run would end up selling more stuff overall. Plus you don't have that high price tag as a deterrent, most people aren't looking to buy 20+ movies all at once.

That is true. I do not own any yet so I would definitely be an outlier.

It would be nice to have a big set like my 50 years of Bond Blu-ray collection box though.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Astro7x posted:

I didn't even notice the girl power scene, because there was so much poo poo going on with so many people on screen so quickly, I could barely take in what I was looking at a whole to realize that there were no male heroes there.

This. I'm glad the fans looking for a superhero instagram moment got one though.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

youwantsomewang posted:

*gets snapped*
*gets unsnapped*
*walks through a portal*

Picture Hope. She's standing on a rooftop in San Fransisco, helping send Ant Man into the quantum realm to help ghost lady, then suddenly it's 2024 and a wizard is standing in a giant sparkly hole asking her to come fight a purple space monster.

...What happened to all the Asguardians who were on that spaceship when they got snapped. Did they just reappear then immediately suffocate in deep space?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pastamania posted:

...What happened to all the Asguardians who were on that spaceship when they got snapped. Did they just reappear then immediately suffocate in deep space?
Part of Hulk's difficulty in UnSnappening, aside from trying to bring Widow back, was the Infinity Stones going "Wait, you want them all back, safely, and no changes to these last 5 years? Well, poo poo. All these Asguardians can't be left in space so.. uh, drop them in Connecticut. And there's like 75 people on flight O-731 from NY to LA that need to not be in the middle of the air... God! There's like 132 Quintillion life forms in this ONE quadrant that were getting hosed! They can't come back being half-humped we need to find something for them to wear and make sure they're not in mid-jizz! this is gonna take a while dude

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Dren posted:

Thor: “What if beer were healthy?”

Should have given Fat Thor the gauntlet. Obviously Strange missed a timeline.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Am I the only person unreasonably excited for Captain America 4 with Sam "Captain America" Wilson??! :dance:

I definitely got an Optimus Prime/Ultra Magnus mood from that scene -
"I'm just a soldier! I'm not worthy."
"Nor was I, you'll have to learn to do your best."

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

This time travel stuff is basically all DBZ multiverse theory in the end so I'm surprised the internet nerd community is so up in arms about it :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

This time travel stuff is basically all DBZ multiverse theory in the end so I'm surprised the internet nerd community is so up in arms about it :colbert:

Man you don't know the DBZ fandom. They are the most nitpicking people ever.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
So is there any scene in any movie where Thanos is using a stone and it isn't accompanied by the stone glowing? I'm rewatching Infinity War and it looks like there is every time. Which means Thanos really does not use the stones all that much.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
a complete box set seems like a hard sell with disney+ coming

is this the death of bluray?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

RBA Starblade posted:

The super hosed up thing is that they seem to be aware they stopped existing.

Is there a transcript of what Peter said to Tony about turning into dust?

It was something like we turned into dust and then we were with Dr. Strange and he started doing that twirling thing with his hand and he said 'it's been five years, we have to go!" and that's about all I remember. But Pete didn't age, so it doesn't seem like they spent 5 years in that void? So did they all just rematerialized where they turned back to dust and then Strange teleported them to the battle?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

FilthyImp posted:

Part of Hulk's difficulty in UnSnappening, aside from trying to bring Widow back, was the Infinity Stones going "Wait, you want them all back, safely, and no changes to these last 5 years? Well, poo poo. All these Asguardians can't be left in space so.. uh, drop them in Connecticut. And there's like 75 people on flight O-731 from NY to LA that need to not be in the middle of the air... God! There's like 132 Quintillion life forms in this ONE quadrant that were getting hosed! They can't come back being half-humped we need to find something for them to wear and make sure they're not in mid-jizz! this is gonna take a while dude

Oh man, how traumatic must it be for your partner to dust mid-gently caress?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Astro7x posted:

Is there a transcript of what Peter said to Tony about turning into dust?

He remembers getting dusty and thinks he must have passed out or something

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Steve2911 posted:

oh my god I hosed her out of existence!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Steve2911 posted:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

He ain't wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Get em Bernie! :)