Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
One thing that's worth mentioning about the old GoT deaths was that they substantially altered the arc of the plot. Not just in the sense that "Now this character gets no more screen time but everyone else continues as usual", but in the sense that the trajectory of many characters, even whole nations, shifted with it.

Like how when Ned died, that led to the Seven Kingdoms breaking out into civil war. When Drogo died, Dany's arc shifts radically as the destiny she supposedly had crumbles and only when she actually goes ahead with burning the witch alive does she discover her dragons and come back into power. When Rob died, the war ended and the power dynamics shifted. Joffrey dies, and the culture of King's Landing leadership changes, Tyrion gets imprisoned, other people betray Tyrion, eventually leading to Tyrion falling into despair and deeper resentment ultimately leading to him killing Tywin, which sends King's Landing spiraling down as a result of Cersei's leadership.

So compare with last season, where Littlefinger dies, and everyone just kind of...moves on and doesn't dwell on him. Or the explosion at the Sept of Baelor, which does lead to war with the Tyrells, but that gets snuffed out relatively quickly, and then the Tyrells and the religious zealots just don't get mentioned and Cersei's plot stays relatively static as she sinks into just the role of antagonist with lessened screen time.

And relatedly, the past few seasons haven't had the general thread of the plot changing substantially from season to season. Seasons 6, 7, and 8, at least in retrospect, don't have the same kinds of reversals of fortune that characterized the earlier seasons. Jon comes back to life, then he takes back Winterfell, then he joins Dany, then he successfully defends the place from the White Walkers, none of which necessarily conflicts with our expectations or what we want for the character (which might be why some people criticize it as fan service -- the characters we like, by and large, have gotten what they want, without any major surprises). The revelation about Jon being a Targ might lead to some of those kinds of changes in the next three episodes, of course. But there's still a lot less of the unexpected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I have a feeling this episode looked amazing in the edit room, so I'm hoping HBO releases some sort of high-bitrate stream or download so folks can watch is an intended without having to wait for a BluRay release. I realize it's pretty unlikely they'd do it, but it's not often you have the general public complaining about encoding issues.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Randall Tarley might have been a dick, but his assessment of Sam was spot on, as Sam proved last night.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

General Dog posted:

The walkers turned out to be a less formidable opponent than the Boltons

And basically any army

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
This is the main problem with a weak point army and it's why we no longer see any colossi around today.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Did Dany and her army sacrificing themselves actually make any kind of a difference? Bran & Arya are at Winterfell regardless, and NK's death wasn't contingent on them needing to stall for enough time or weaken his army or anything. He's never really any less than full strength the entire time.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

U-DO Burger posted:

would've owned if dany or jon looked down from their dragon and saw the fires and destruction resembled the mural. something like this:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Xanderkish posted:

One thing that's worth mentioning about the old GoT deaths was that they substantially altered the arc of the plot. Not just in the sense that "Now this character gets no more screen time but everyone else continues as usual", but in the sense that the trajectory of many characters, even whole nations, shifted with it.

Like how when Ned died, that led to the Seven Kingdoms breaking out into civil war. When Drogo died, Dany's arc shifts radically as the destiny she supposedly had crumbles and only when she actually goes ahead with burning the witch alive does she discover her dragons and come back into power. When Rob died, the war ended and the power dynamics shifted. Joffrey dies, and the culture of King's Landing leadership changes, Tyrion gets imprisoned, other people betray Tyrion, eventually leading to Tyrion falling into despair and deeper resentment ultimately leading to him killing Tywin, which sends King's Landing spiraling down as a result of Cersei's leadership.

So compare with last season, where Littlefinger dies, and everyone just kind of...moves on and doesn't dwell on him. Or the explosion at the Sept of Baelor, which does lead to war with the Tyrells, but that gets snuffed out relatively quickly, and then the Tyrells and the religious zealots just don't get mentioned and Cersei's plot stays relatively static as she sinks into just the role of antagonist with lessened screen time.

And relatedly, the past few seasons haven't had the general thread of the plot changing substantially from season to season. Seasons 6, 7, and 8, at least in retrospect, don't have the same kinds of reversals of fortune that characterized the earlier seasons. Jon comes back to life, then he takes back Winterfell, then he joins Dany, then he successfully defends the place from the White Walkers, none of which necessarily conflicts with our expectations or what we want for the character (which might be why some people criticize it as fan service -- the characters we like, by and large, have gotten what they want, without any major surprises). The revelation about Jon being a Targ might lead to some of those kinds of changes in the next three episodes, of course. But there's still a lot less of the unexpected.
I agree with all of this. It's not the fact people died surprisingly and shockingly early on, it's that someone central to how the world worked was suddenly gone.

Like interactions at King's Landing were so structured by Joffrey being a psycho, and his disappearance changed everything... same idea with Tywin. At this point everyone feels so independent that you could basically kill anyone off and it just wouldnt matter, nobody is really reliant on anyone else and nobody does anything very important so their disappearance wouldnt really matter. Like Daenerys disappearing with her dragons would kind of matter, but not really.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

https://i.imgur.com/IvhpQFA.mp4

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

a much better ending to that episode

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was also genuinely surprised by the lack of main character deaths in this episode. I agree with that poster awhile back who said this should have been the Red Wedding 2.0, at least.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Meanwhile, on Reddit:

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Xanderkish posted:

Too many main characters plot lines.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I think a lot of what we're seeing in terms of "bad" is not really just outright laziness on the part of the writers/directors/showrunners, but practical limitations on how long you can run a show like this with all the same cast. Actors probably want to gtfo and not have an entire season on the reverberations of Littlefinger's death, Lady Stoneheart, and developing random Dothraki characters and nuances around the white walker's motivations. They're trying to execute on the threads they can quickly before they have to recast Kit Harrington or whatever.

As a fan and consumer, I don't *like* it at all, but I get it, and although I think the show overshadows the books in many ways, this will be one pro- the books have over the shows, which is a bunch of rambling details for our imaginations to soak up.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ok the one about stretching the conclusion is pretty funny.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Xanderkish posted:

Meanwhile, on Reddit:

I mean 90% of that thread is correct tbh

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ned is about to get executed but right before Illin' Payne swings the sword Syrio Forel jumps in from offscreen and stabs him and then has some quippy one liner.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Bran pulling a hector with a dragon glass explosion that destorys the night king would have been hilarious tbh. Sad that didnt happen.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Sad that the Night King was poisoned by his enemies...

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The only ballsy thing this show could have done since season 4 was have the White Walkers destroy Westeros (as a metaphor for climate change) with the survivors fleeing to Essos, and... welp.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I hope the final episode is just Jon and Dany having lunch and Cersi walks in the door behind them, and moments later the screen just goes black and the end credits play

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Cygni posted:

a much better ending to that episode

*Ayra flies past the NK and stabs Bran, turns around and high fives the NK

Freeze frame as Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song plays, credits roll*

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/boredmey/status/1122937035839373314

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 29, 2019

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I get a serious Battlestar Galactica vibe out of GoT lately.

First few seasons are some of the greatest television ever produced. Coupled with amazing fan discussions, theories, ect. Then it begins to get weird, the plot holes get larger, the hero's plot armor larger, and by the end we're all still having fun watching it but you have to turn off your braincells to do so.

Let's just hope there is no GoT equivalent of "The Plan".

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

PostNouveau posted:

Ned is about to get executed but right before Illin' Payne swings the sword Syrio Forel jumps in from offscreen and stabs him and then has some quippy one liner.

"I have a tongue and you don't"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

What does Bran even loving do for them anyway? "Hey guys I know the future and how this battle plays out, and who lives and who dies and could probably keep some of you alive, but nah gonna fly around with some birds chasing around the Night King for the lols"

"I could have told Theon to just stall for time; oh well!"

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Alec Eiffel posted:

Dawg, we are mad that what we believed to be the biggest plotline of GoT is over. Arya could have killed him in two episodes and most people would've been satisfied. Or maybe just me.
yeop

Just Chamber posted:

This show started out showing that major characters could die at any time, and the likelihood of happy endings was slim to none.

Nothing better emphasizes how far this show has changed than the fact that no one of any importance died in that battle and the NK was offed with no consequence.
yeop

tylersayten posted:

Now, let's move onto some of the bad stuff. I, like many others, thought Arya "assassinating" the Night King like that was some completely contrived, fan-service level bullshit. Not only did it not make any sense at all (just walking past thousands of zombies and White Walkers next to the NK?), it was completely anti-climatic considering how the White Walkers were built up as this unique, supernatural threat from the very first scene of the series and the books. They were obvious metaphors and allegories for climate change, and I genuinely wish that was the angle they went for. Remember that mad women at Night's Watch in the beginning of the show meticulously describing the horror of the Long Night to Sam and co? Specifically how the Long Night is so cold it will kill you within a matter of minutes of going outside if the dead didn't get you first? Or what about the history of the Night King before he was turned? There's literally nothing to it at all? So all that was essentially scrapped? They literally pulled a Snoke on the Night King and White Walkers? This is some lazy bullshit.
yeop

Niwrad posted:

I agree. The battle was a great spectacle and I thought a lot of it was shot incredibly well. But once you realized all the main characters were not going to die, there weren't a lot of stakes.

They should have killed off Sam (Jon having to let him die to save Bran), either Brienne orJamie (one saving the other), Greyworm, and Varys. I was going in expecting like half the main characters to die considering this was supposed to be the biggest battle of all.

You can just hop on YouTube or even Reddit and find fan theories that would have been a thousand times better than what they came up with. This was one of the shows where the fans were actually better at telling the story than the writers in the end.
I've kind of stopped caring about the show at this point but might stop by some fan fiction sites to see if anyone's done a better job. This season is leaving me with some weird plot blue balls.

ruddiger posted:

Tyrion already knew where the wildfyre caches were from his time as hand of the king. gently caress asking Cersei for poo poo, use the meeting as a ruse to get in the city and just have some soldiers take the wildfyre while Cersei sat around acting smug in the Dragonpit.
Wildfyre is notoriously unstable when moved and becomes more so over time. Also, too smart for the show.

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 29, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

People keep stating this foolishness but Lyanna Mormont died last night.

Lyanna was badass but basically an extra who got extra screentime because she was so good.

Her death was the most significant, but it wasn't enough for that level of war.

The Red Wedding killed more people and it was a wedding. This was the battle for life and death, a battle against the army of the dead.

Ah well, agree to disagree at this point.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Bran pulling a hector with a dragon glass explosion that destorys the night king would have been hilarious tbh. Sad that didnt happen.

I was hoping more for an Aliens-type death.

Bran and Theon are being swarmed by Wights and the WW approach. Theon, mortally wounded, crawls to Bran's side, as he pulls a dragon glass grenade from his chair.

They grasp the grenade together, about to let it detonate.

'You always were an rear end in a top hat Theon.'

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

No Wave posted:

I agree with all of this. It's not the fact people died surprisingly and shockingly early on, it's that someone central to how the world worked was suddenly gone.

Like interactions at King's Landing were so structured by Joffrey being a psycho, and his disappearance changed everything... same idea with Tywin. At this point everyone feels so independent that you could basically kill anyone off and it just wouldnt matter, nobody is really reliant on anyone else and nobody does anything very important so their disappearance wouldnt really matter. Like Daenerys disappearing with her dragons would kind of matter, but not really.

That seems like a hand waivy cop out.

Dany or Jon dying at this point could have major ramifications. The remaining forces would fall to infighting, maybe Dany burns more people, maybe Cersei wins. IDK. Anything is possible if you don't think in cliches.

Brienne dying could impact Jaime in big, BIG ways. Etc. Etc.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

If someone had told me before yesterday that Bram would Allah Akbar himself to kill the Night King I would have believed it without hesitation. What is even the point of Bram in the show? what does he do?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Robb and Cait dying at the red wedding was special and memorable because it completely hosed up the conflict everyone thought the show was about.

The only way something similar could be done here is if Daenerys AND Jon died. Actually that would be neat.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Mons Hubris posted:

The first Brienne screaming scene looked like a skeleton guy was eating her intestines so I was pretty surprised when she was still fighting later

Alec Eiffel posted:

Pretty cool that Sam failed around on the floor and escaped death by zombie avalanche through sheer force of Dave Hill in the writers room
Someone could make a really good supercut of each Brienne scene back-to-back, followed by like each Sam scene back-to-back, so we can see how many times they looked like they were dying only for them to be still alive in basically the same position again later

Alec Eiffel posted:

Dawg, we are mad that what we believed to be the biggest plotline of GoT is over. Arya could have killed him in two episodes and most people would've been satisfied. Or maybe just me.
yeah I think the scale didn't fit here. Like, the army of the dead looked terrifying and unstoppable, which was good, but then Arya happened and now that's it, they're entirely wiped out in their very first foray beyond the wall. Hard not to imagine it would've been better if the night king got Bran (but he warged into something last second or whatever), and the Night King takes winterfell, as a few surviving lines of humans retreat south with Dany and whoever. Then we'd really get that ominous feeling of doom that i think the white walkers deserved. And then wrap it up with some complex alliance with a still-backstabbing Cersei and Arya gets her shot in finally in e5 or 6 as the walkers assault king's landing. & Jaime kills Cersei or something to put a Targaryen back on the throne. But now im just writing fanfic

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

very confused about why they didn't start with the flying flamethrowers???

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

No Wave posted:

Robb and Cait dying at the red wedding was special and memorable because it completely hosed up the conflict everyone thought the show was about.

Well I guess the Night King dying at Winterfell basically accomplishes the same thing.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

No Wave posted:

The only way something similar could be done here is if Daenerys AND Jon died. Actually that would be neat.

Jon and Daenerys dying would have been amazing especially to see the survivors struggle with "we won the winter war but what the gently caress do we do now" when they realize they still have to deal with Cersei and her mercenary army.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

jon should've chucked his sword to ohko viserion

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

*23 hours after the battle of winterfell*

”MAN THE WALLS!!!”, Jaime shouts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

No Wave posted:

One could argue that's exactly what happened