Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Peacoffee posted:

I want to say that was the one my friend had. I remember he got mad once when I took off the nacelle and pretended it was a sonic screwdriver.

Never tell him about the time a spare nacelle for the Romulan Warbird model got a blinky light and a paint job, and became a handheld scanner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

When I was a young lad I had an enterprise toy.

You could detach the nacelles and it also had like, "dino damage", little panels that would pop off and show battle damage. I didn't even know what star trek was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zidWAkRTlWM

This was a weird as gently caress toy, toy. It came with a stand so it was like a model, but it had light up buttons and poo poo. I dunno. I thought it was cool at the time, but we didn't have TV.

Those came with a panel you could slot in where the stand plugged into, so you could play with it like a toy.

I had the older -D that had four sound effect buttons (impulse, warp drive, phasers, torpedoes) and no battle damage... and somehow I wound up with another one that had just one button for voice clips.

I also had the TOS Enterprise, the Enterprise-E, the Romulan Warbird, the Klingon Vor'cha-class cruiser, the Defiant.... oh yeah and that shuttlecraft you could stick the action figures into.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I also had the TOS Enterprise, the Enterprise-E, the Romulan Warbird, the Klingon Vor'cha-class cruiser, the Defiant.... oh yeah and that shuttlecraft you could stick the action figures into.

I had both the multi-button D and the Generations battle-damaged D, the E, and the shuttlecraft. Also the transporter, and one Christmas I woke up to find the bridge playset with all the figures at their stations.

I still maintain the best playset was the Engineering one that came out in the Generations toyline. Shame about the figures.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The only playset I ever had was the Runabout and that thing ruled. It even had seatbelts!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'm finally doing a proper DS9 rewatch. I haven't actually watched the whole show through since it was first broadcast, and even then I know I missed a lot, especially in the later seasons. Time to fix that.

I'm up to "The Storyteller". The only part here that actually works is the character stuff that presages the whole O'Brien/Bashir friendship. Their plotline down on Bajor with the cloud monster is never really properly explained or resolved and doesn't make a whole lot of sense to begin with. The other plotline up on DS9 is as basic as can be and might have benefited from some better acting, but at least Nog's joke with Odo's bucket landed pretty well, I thought.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You know I think Avery Brooks might've always been crazy.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Just watched the DS9 documentary What We Left Behind. It's really good! Really great sense of humour, well made, season 8 should be made based on their writers' room and section 31 show canceled to pay for it. There's obviously a lot of life left in the show!

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Really? I thought their Season 8 pitch was by far the worst part of the doc and that Ira seems to have forgotten what he was up to at the end of 7 and didn't bother to fix that prior to the meet. To avoid spoilers: he has most people acting way out of character from where they could possibly be, even with 20 years passing, and thinks Bajor was a proud resistor of joining the Federation at the end instead of... calling it off temporarily during the war on Sisko's order to avoid a Dominion occupation. Worst of all he wants to shove S31 in everything because that's all people can think of these days I guess and still obsessed with Bajoran religion and wants it to be the centerpiece of everything.

Practically nothing from the Season 8 pitch lined up with where the show came from or where it could plausibly have gone and it was a major bummer to watch in an otherwise solid documentary.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gorgo Primus posted:

Really? I thought their Season 8 pitch was by far the worst part of the doc and that Ira seems to have forgotten what he was up to at the end of 7 and didn't bother to fix that prior to the meet. To avoid spoilers: he has most people acting way out of character from where they could possibly be, even with 20 years passing, and thinks Bajor was a proud resistor of joining the Federation at the end instead of... calling it off temporarily during the war on Sisko's order to avoid a Dominion occupation. Worst of all he wants to shove S31 in everything because that's all people can think of these days I guess and still obsessed with Bajoran religion and wants it to be the centerpiece of everything.

Practically nothing from the Season 8 pitch lined up with where the show came from or where it could plausibly have gone and it was a major bummer to watch in an otherwise solid documentary.

:agreed:

See also:
Killing Nog for shock value because “this is DS9; you can’t get comfortable”. :barf:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's an extremely fascinating split between who doesn't doesn't like the season eight pitch.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So when (and where) is this documentary going to be viewable for those of us who didn't back it on Kickstarter and who can't see it in a cinema in the US?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They sent out an email yesterday that they're going to offer additional streaming options for non-backers, after the theatrical release is finished, but no concrete details yet.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Watched a few episodes of TOS. It's neat but dang is it whiplash going from the end of DS9 to that Pilot, to the first actual episode.

Dumb question: What's the deal with that Pilot?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

See also:
Killing Nog for shock value because “this is DS9; you can’t get comfortable”. :barf:

Oh gently caress that noise. I think some of my favorite parts of DS9 are the more "comfortable" parts. and I'm a real sucker for the trope of characters breaking the mold, I really like Rom and Nog.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Oxyclean posted:

Watched a few episodes of TOS. It's neat but dang is it whiplash going from the end of DS9 to that Pilot, to the first actual episode.

Dumb question: What's the deal with that Pilot?

CBS thought the series could work, but they didn’t actually like “The Cage” as an episode so they demanded some changes — they felt it was too slow with not enough action, and disliked Roddenberry casting his side piece as the female lead (or weren’t ready for a strong female lead of any sort, to hear Roddenberry tell it) — and ordered a second pilot, namely “Where No Man Has Gone Before”. Jeffrey Hunter (Captain Pike) wanted to be in movies instead, and he wasn’t under contract because the pilot had been rejected, so his character was replaced too. Thus only Spock was really left over for the second pilot.

Then during the first season they ran out of episodes in the can and reused a lot of “The Cage” with a frame story as “The Menagerie”.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Even Section 31's name is lame

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

skasion posted:

CBS thought the series could work, but they didn’t actually like “The Cage” as an episode so they demanded some changes — they felt it was too slow with not enough action, and disliked Roddenberry casting his side piece as the female lead (or weren’t ready for a strong female lead of any sort, to hear Roddenberry tell it) — and ordered a second pilot, namely “Where No Man Has Gone Before”. Jeffrey Hunter (Captain Pike) wanted to be in movies instead, and he wasn’t under contract because the pilot had been rejected, so his character was replaced too. Thus only Spock was really left over for the second pilot.

Then during the first season they ran out of episodes in the can and reused a lot of “The Cage” with a frame story as “The Menagerie”.

Roddenberry's wife is the computer voice in the rest of the series right? Thought the voice sounded familiar while watching The Cage.

I think I liked The Cage more then Where No Man Has Gone Before. The focus on action kind shows on the latter.

Also, I think the Netflix episodes are out of order or something? I saw "Where No Man Has Gone Before" but going by the episode list, I'm sure I didn't see "The Corbomite Maneuver" or "Mudd's Women" but I did see The Man Trap and Naked Time, and just started The Enemy Within.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Oxyclean posted:

Roddenberry's wife is the computer voice in the rest of the series right? Thought the voice sounded familiar while watching The Cage.

I think I liked The Cage more then Where No Man Has Gone Before. The focus on action kind shows on the latter.

Also, I think the Netflix episodes are out of order or something? I saw "Where No Man Has Gone Before" but going by the episode list, I'm sure I didn't see "The Corbomite Maneuver" or "Mudd's Women" but I did see The Man Trap and Naked Time, and just started The Enemy Within.

The production order is all weird for like the first half of the season. But it also basically doesn't matter, they didn't expect them to be watched in order.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

"Where No Man Has Gone Before"
"The Corbomite Maneuver"
"Mudd's Women"
"The Man Trap"
"Naked Time"

:quagmire:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Oxyclean posted:

Yes, and also Nurse Chapel in TOS and Lwaxana in TNG/DS9. At the time she was just Gene’s mistress though — she married him between TOS and the movies.

Oxyclean posted:

Netflix has episodes in the order in which they originally aired, not that in which they were produced. Except for “The Cage” which didn’t air till years and years later so they just tack it onto the front.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Pick posted:

There's an extremely fascinating split between who doesn't doesn't like the season eight pitch.

Which is?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

skasion posted:

CBS wasn't involved back then, it was NBC.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Orv posted:

You know I think Avery Brooks might've always been crazy.

is he crazy now

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I mean he willingly lives in New Jersey so maybe

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

is he crazy now

Watch his segments from The Captains with Shatner and tell me he's not crazy, high as hell, or both

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I was looking at Memory Alpha earlier, specifically about planned/considered episodes that didn't get made, and get this: they were considering making a sequel to A Piece Of The Action during DS9, but didn't because the writers (specifically Ira) were disdainful of having the Iotians be hardcore TOS fans.

The Fifty Year Mission wasn't lying when DS9 was described as the inmates running the asylum, were they? :sigh:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
They were afraid they'd get backlash from the fans.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Watch his segments from The Captains with Shatner and tell me he's not crazy, high as hell, or both

He might be crazy but he's also clearly trolling the gently caress out of Shatner.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
brookes probably did not feel like getting into heavy racial poo poo with william shatner so he just played piano at him until he left him alone

Orv
May 4, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

is he crazy now

I mean I don't think he's full on loco crazy but he's always seemed way more into and playful as Sisko on DS9 than any of the other cast and every time I see something with him since he seems extremely relaxed with being weird.

"Beets!"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

He's like a theater professor now so I'd imagine overall he's fairly mellow, but drat do I love how much he hammed it up with early Sisko

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Smart people don't like it

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

They already used up the "shock value death" card with Jadzia Dax only two seasons before the season that's being pitched, and at least it was done in a way that seemed to make sense

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

He's like a theater professor now so I'd imagine overall he's fairly mellow, but drat do I love how much he hammed it up with early Sisko

He's also well known for being very professional and devoted to acting as a craft. Apparently he was pretty disdainful of actors who wanted to be celebrities and big names or whatever.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I mean he willingly lives in New Jersey so maybe
Newark, Camden, and the entire filmography of the Jersey Shore are actually a bipartisan scheme to keep you mooks out of here so we can continue enjoying the dark fruits of Weird NJ. Like the tooth replacement fruit that grows in Orange, or Springsteen's necromantic rituals.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nessus posted:

Newark, Camden, and the entire filmography of the Jersey Shore are actually a bipartisan scheme to keep you mooks out of here so we can continue enjoying the dark fruits of Weird NJ. Like the tooth replacement fruit that grows in Orange, or Springsteen's necromantic rituals.

I was born, raised and live in NJ and I'm really, really loving sick of Springsteen zombies

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

galenanorth posted:

They already used up the "shock value death" card with Jadzia Dax only two seasons before the season that's being pitched, and at least it was done in a way that seemed to make sense

They killed a character 20 years ago because she left the show is a pretty weak argument against killing a character to start off a revival *eyes Discovery that's killed... 4 characters already?* It was a loving one day fast pitch, you guys are way too harsh. What we got, I'd watch.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Pick posted:

Smart people don't like it

I’m genuinely curious what the reaction to it is outside these forums. It really felt like Ira and RDM and all the other writers had forgotten what made DS9 work in the first place and were just cribbing from other shows that had come since that don’t really fit the DS9 tone.

I mean I know it’s all hypothetical and it was a one-off brainstorming session that wasn’t ever meant to be seen outside the doc, but it’s disappointing that the same guys who knocked it out of the park the first time around were so clueless in how to capture even an iota of that magic again.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

See also:

This is DS9; you can't get comfortable because Quark won't splurge for the plushy bar stools

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

This is DS9; you can't get comfortable because Quark won't splurge for the plushy bar stools

Not true. Those come with an VIP premium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

CBS wasn't involved back then, it was NBC.

Actually, they were.

Here's how it went down.

"The Cage" was produced. CBS had first look rights with Desilu so it went there first. CBS rejected it because it was too similar to Lost in Space.

They they shopped it to NBC who saw promise, but still didn't like the pilot but commissioned the second pilot of "Where No Man Has Gone Before."