Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus. Semi driver stroke out?

Also:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

i laughed at that too and now feel bad.

Then i looked up the video and laughed again because he's an even bigger dork than he looks like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmfKN3hT05c&t=476s

dudes trying to milk it for donations and t-shirt sales

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I like how he realizes he's waving a bowl around then is like "whoops other hand"

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

slidebite posted:

Jesus. Semi driver stroke out?

Reports are he's claiming his brakes failed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Geoj posted:

Reports are he's claiming his brakes failed.

And the police are talking a big game about how vehicular homicide charges are going to "stick" so it reads to me like they don't believe his explanation.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

xzzy posted:

And the police are talking a big game about how vehicular homicide charges are going to "stick" so it reads to me like they don't believe his explanation.

If some freak occurrence like running over a mattress severs your brake lines and you lose control, (tho air brakes lock on with pressure loss) yeah you can say your brakes failed.

If you didn't do all the things you need to do to prevent a runaway situation, like maintaining a safe speed with your gearbox instead of cooking your brakes, and then fail to recognize & prevent the runaway situation before it becomes deadly (there's a runaway trap 4 miles West), you can't claim brake failure.

Guy probably wishes he'd have steered into a bridge abutment somewhere up the line. I know wouldn't want these peoples' deaths on my conscience the rest of my life.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I work about a mile from there and commute that freeway every morning. That section is the runoff after the final descent down the mountains with several miles of steep grades, up to 6%. Everyone gets to the "flat" part (which is still a very steep downhill) and thinks it's over so they let their brakes cool as they engine brake up to 80 mph. Trucks set their brakes on fire and burn down on a regular basis all along there.

Unfortunately on occasion it's rush hour traffic. At 4:00 another accident 3 miles up the road shut the whole freeway down for about a half hour. So he came steaming down the mountain at 5:00 with overheated brakes right into stopped traffic. Tragic as hell and very negligent.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.738...84!8i8192?hl=en

This is where it happened, fucker should have steered it in to the ditch and risked himself instead of piling in to traffic. It's a straight shot with miles of visibility, there's no excuse. Obvious he tried to skate past all the traffic but the shoulder gets tight and I'm sure he hooked someone. All over after that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh, it's that chunk of I-70? I've done that descent a couple times in a passenger car and that last run out of the mountains is pants making GBS threads.

It is a straight shot but it's so goddamn steep.

Like the drop along I-90 east of Coeur d'Alene is "worse" because of all the bends, but it's not as steep so your brakes don't fade.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Driver is apparently in custody for vehicular homicide. We'll see if it sticks.

Lots more pictures of the aftermath in this article: https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/4-people-killed-in-fiery-crash-on-i-70-semi-driver-arrested/73-ec7ae64a-7183-49c7-8707-28138b86fce3

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw the aftermath of a rear-ending where the car that got hit looked to be a good 3ish car lengths into the intersection I presume it was stopped at. Does that sound more like the guy's foot wasn't depressing the brakes all the way or the other dude was just going way too fast when he hit? The speed limit on the road was 45 and people always do way over.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Brakes? With 80,000 lbs they are the last resort if you miss a gear.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/bmANqpf.mp4

Edit: aww it's gone now

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 29, 2019

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The comparison that comes to mind is a cat stealing a toy. "This is mine now!"

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
https://i.imgur.com/MzhyU5G.mp4

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Came close to hitting a bicycle last night. No lights or reflectors on a dark road, I have no idea how he could even see where the hell he was going. It was pretty wobbly so I'm guessing a drunk.

nuh-uh no way
Mar 27, 2010
It came from my hometown:
https://twitter.com/tastyflamingo/status/1122381879179481088

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

sleepy.eyes posted:

Came close to hitting a bicycle last night. No lights or reflectors on a dark road, I have no idea how he could even see where the hell he was going. It was pretty wobbly so I'm guessing a drunk.

Nah, probably just a normal bicyclist.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sleepy.eyes posted:

"Oh yeah, oh my my, I don't give a gently caress about a DUI, you can take away my license, but you can't take away my priiiiiiide" ~Wax, 2011

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

"Let's play 'drunk, hyper-miler, or SMOKIN'"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Beach Bum posted:

"Let's play 'drunk, hyper-miler, or SMOKIN'"

Mods

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

That's a hell of a way to save a few bucks. :stare:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ripoff posted:

You're going to get some hop-ons

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ripoff posted:

One fare is $3.50! You ride the back of the bus twice, that's $7.00! And that's almost an entire combo from Wendy's.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Can someone explain to me why I've seen three people in the last two weeks facetiming while driving their cars? Cars that I know have bluetooth. Why do they need to video chat? Why doesn't the person on the other end say something? Are they driving too?

It's been a while since I've seen someone holding the phone 2" in front of their face talking on speaker, so I guess this is the natural progression.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

FogHelmut posted:

Can someone explain to me why I've seen three people in the last two weeks facetiming while driving their cars? Cars that I know have bluetooth. Why do they need to video chat? Why doesn't the person on the other end say something? Are they driving too?

It's been a while since I've seen someone holding the phone 2" in front of their face talking on speaker, so I guess this is the natural progression.

You seem rude. I'm driving a 2 ton vehicle which requires a fair amount of dexterity and you expect me to put my phone down? Please.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
The new trend here is huffing nitro while driving. Recently someone wrecked some yards and 7 parked cars by doing so, while putting videos of herself huffing balloons on Instagram. She tried to get away but was blocked by bystanders, and when they opened the car a bunch of balloons fell out and a huge nitro tank was seen in the back. In Amsterdam you can also see people zooming around on mopeds and scooters while inhaling from a balloon. Fun times!

https://www.lc.nl/friesland/Auto-met-daarin-Ex-on-the-Beach-realityster-Lena-richt-ravage-aan-in-Leeuwarden-24405877.html

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
the gently caress? that sounds like one of those tutuola memes

"Yeah, its called huffing. Kids these days dress up like clowns to get balloons and find themselves on the rear end end of a wrecked parking lot"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Granted never snuffed poo poo from NoS canisters, but holy hell you can get quite the buzz at the dentist office back in the day.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Entropist posted:

The new trend here is huffing nitro while driving. Recently someone wrecked some yards and 7 parked cars by doing so, while putting videos of herself huffing balloons on Instagram. She tried to get away but was blocked by bystanders, and when they opened the car a bunch of balloons fell out and a huge nitro tank was seen in the back. In Amsterdam you can also see people zooming around on mopeds and scooters while inhaling from a balloon. Fun times!

https://www.lc.nl/friesland/Auto-met-daarin-Ex-on-the-Beach-realityster-Lena-richt-ravage-aan-in-Leeuwarden-24405877.html

Nitrous is supposed to go inside the car, not the driver.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

uhhh, am i Ja, ik ga akoord or Voorkeuren beheren

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Nitrous is supposed to go inside the car, not the driver.

It's like E85, "one for you, one for me, one for you, one for me"

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I had a near religious experience on too much nitrous. Of course, I wouldn't advise driving while experiencing the blackness of the void, but different strokes and all that

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

Granted never snuffed poo poo from NoS canisters, but holy hell you can get quite the buzz at the dentist office back in the day.

First time I was given nitrous at the dentist, it was a Saturday so someone had just queued up the entirety of Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon on the office speakers.

I've never enjoyed dental work so much before or since.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

IOwnCalculus posted:

First time I was given nitrous at the dentist, it was a Saturday so someone had just queued up the entirety of Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon on the office speakers.

Yeah, Comfortably Numb (which I just heard in the car a couple hours back :v:) is the best way to describe it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

You're not even supposed to be standing when you do nitrous, let alone driving.

Missing the R here, or not? Works either way

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

IOwnCalculus posted:

Man, I wish I had your dentist...granted, mine ended up not mixing the nitrous/oxygen levels & I got high as poo poo (ceiling turned into waves of rainbow color like something out of a Rainbow Brite cartoon) but he was literally the stereotypical "talk to your patient while their mouth is propped open with tools" type

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Yeah, the idea is that people won't be as nervous if someone is talking to them throughout to distract them from the pointy things in their mouth. But I think a lot of dentists also like the sound of their own voice and having a captive audience who can't get away.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The rare case of instant karma.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/motorcyclist-critical-after-flipping-driver-off-crashing-in-road-rage-incident-police-say

quote:

Authorities said a woman and her child were in a tan Chevy Suburban making a left onto Eldridge from Cypress North Houston Road when she heard a motorcycle revving behind her.

The motorcyclist on a black Harley-Davidson sped past the woman on the right and flipped her off before getting in front of her and flipping her off again, police said.

Officer said the motorcyclist then lost control of the bike and crashed, hitting his head on the curb.

Paramedics performed CPR on the motorcyclist and he was transported to a hospital via LifeFlight in critical condition, authorities said.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

This feels like the kind of dental experience I would explicitly request. gently caress sedation dentistry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This feels like the kind of dental experience I would explicitly request. gently caress sedation dentistry.

It has been thirty years so forgive me for my past transgressions. Was 16, drove a '72 Olds 88 Royale. Dentist lit me up with nitrous to the point I was basically flying through space. And they let me go.

All I remember is somehow landing the car back in the driveway and I crashed on the couch. My mom was pissed, not at me, but how they could let someone like that go out in a 3 ton lead sled at the age of 16.

Simpler times.