Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

WarMECH posted:

Our SUV came with a sunroof that we have literally never opened and yet it had a leaky seal a few years ago that needed to be replaced. Not a fan.

Sunroofs seals are not waterproof. Or even tree debris proof. They are basically "splash proof" and designed to drain into a tray around the glass, and that tray has drains that need to be cleaned out periodically if you park in places that put a lot of debris on the roof - even if you've never opened it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Motronic posted:

Sunroofs seals are not waterproof. Or even tree debris proof. They are basically "splash proof" and designed to drain into a tray around the glass, and that tray has drains that need to be cleaned out periodically if you park in places that put a lot of debris on the roof - even if you've never opened it.
Cool. A thing I have to maintain on a part I don't want and would never use. You've basically sold me on not just not wanting a sunroof but actively avoiding them.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Correct. It was actually the drain that was clogged and they had to fix it. Still not a fan.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hoodwinker posted:

Cool. A thing I have to maintain on a part I don't want and would never use. You've basically sold me on not just not wanting a sunroof but actively avoiding them.

Yep. That is definitely the correct course of action.

It's a shame that most manufacturers put them on the higher trim packages by default these days so you basically have zero chance of finding something used without one and need to special order new stuff.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Hoodwinker posted:

But DaveSauce

Think of the equity

TruckQuityTM

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

From r/relationships:

I live with and own a home with a partner who wants to leave, but we owe too much on the house to get any money and I don't have anywhere to go.

quote:

Myself (32f) and partner (32f) bought a home together about 1.5 years ago. Realistically with the amount of money we owe on the AC unit, fence and house there is no way to come close to getting our money back especially enough to afford to buy/rent something else. I am at a loss. We made this agreement so we would have a joint asset together thinking we would be together for (well ever). Now she wants to leave and keeps pressuring me to sell, but I don't have a place to live. On top of everything my dad died less than 6 months ago whom I loved dearly and I just lost my job. This feels very very lovely. And I honestly don't know what to do. I have a 7yr old son and 4 dogs. Where or what are we supposed to do?

tl;dr Can't sell house owe too much, not married. What now?

In the comments she confirms there was no down payment. It is cute that she thought it would be an asset.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Why pay the landlord's mortgage when you can pay rent to the bank on a 30 year commitment????

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
If there's no equity then there's nothing to pay her back. Show her there's no equity and get her to agree in writing that she won't come after you down the line in exchange for you taking over the payments.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
BFC > Bad with Money 2019: I am at a loss.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

therobit posted:

If there's no equity then there's nothing to pay her back. Show her there's no equity and get her to agree in writing that she won't come after you down the line in exchange for you taking over the payments.

OP is unemployed and cannot take over the payments. She seems to think her gf is morally obligated to continue to support her or something.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Xenocides posted:

OP is unemployed and cannot take over the payments. She seems to think her gf is morally obligated to continue to support her or something.

I mean, yeah she needs a job, but she would anyway. Re-reading the post maybe she doesn't intend to work? She's still grieving 6 months after dad died and if she doesn't plan to get a job then I feel sorry for her kids. This is the best job market in the last 20 years so you have no excuse lady.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Best part of the Denali post is that he literally cites a small scratch on the window as part of the reason he needs another new truck.

Alas... Maybe once I have a sunroof and a flawless window (attached to a new vehicle), my life will feel complete :(

therobit posted:

I mean, yeah she needs a job, but she would anyway. Re-reading the post maybe she doesn't intend to work? She's still grieving 6 months after dad died and if she doesn't plan to get a job then I feel sorry for her kids. This is the best job market in the last 20 years so you have no excuse lady.

"I just lost my job." Doesn't appear to be related to other issues.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’m the “but I will be getting a brand new truck.” when his current slightly new truck hasn’t even had 2 oil changes.

Did you miss the part about the rock chip in the windshield though?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Easychair Bootson posted:

Did you miss the part about the rock chip in the windshield though?

Oh poo poo. I missed that. His reasoning makes sense now.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Gazpacho posted:

BFC > Bad with Money 2019: I am loss.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Sharpen those guillotines, boys!

Budgeting help needed...feeling broke on 370k+ household income

quote:

My wife and I are both physicians. She will still be in residency (70k income) and I recently signed a contract to start making 300k+ income in July as an attending.

Here is the situation. We are expecting our son to be born near end of June. We just signed on a new apartment lease to begin mid June.

I strongly objected, but wife really wanted to upgrade to a “luxury” apartment unit especially with our baby boy on the way (our current place is lovely..2400 for 600 sq ft and still had rat problems, but hey it’s Boston)

I wanted to keep costs down so I agreed we would still stay walking distance from her hospital because that saves on getting a 2nd car payment, 2nd apartment parking spot, 2nd hospital parking spot, 2nd car insurance/maintenance/gas costs. Which would be a lot!

So. Calculating our new budget and the new childcare costs. It seems we would be barely scraping by.

31000 monthly pre tax and pre deduction (401k, health insurance, etc) income.

That becomes: 15500 monthly post tax and post deduction income (yes includes two maxed out 401k, hsa, insurance premiums).

Now the new MONTHLY expenses:

4400 rent
350 parking spot
400 utilities, internet, cell phone
3300 daycare
850 Car payment, insurance, gas, maintenance (extrapolated from current costs)
3000 Student loans (minimum payment)
600 Groceries
600 Eating out/take out
1800 Miscellaneous for flights, entertainment, baby stuff, clothing, household items like soap etc, renter insurance, etc

This leaves a couple hundred bucks left over per month for contributing to things like an IRA..an eventual house downpayment...or paying off student loans faster...etc Which is REALLY really depressing.

I would appreciate any help with our situation!

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

“Leave Boston.”
“No.”

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

1800 on misc stuff like flights.

If you are flying enough that you specifically mention it in your monthly budget, it’s not “misc”

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
$1,200 in food for two
$1,800 for "stuff like soap"
Tons of categories just totally missing

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
That turd hasn't even collected a single paycheck at that income level yet (starts in July) and is already spending like crazy. What a dumbass.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Is infant care in Boston really $3300 mo?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

lol, I love a good physician bad with money post.

Their rent is more than I pay for our mortgage and two new cars.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Guillotine yes, but BWM? Only BWM thing there is Boston. They're doing all their saving/retirement whatever correctly. I feel like unless they have expensive tastes, they're WAY overestimating their miscellaneous costs, because the $2,000 leftover after bills/etc. is more than GWM people with normal incomes have.

The right answer is to get the gently caress out of dodge and reap the benefits of having dual doctor income in a normal COL area. They'd take a pay cut but they would live like kings anywhere else.

Plus once she's out of residency, her income will probably at least double. I dunno how doctor pay scales work, but he's over triple hers, so if they just sit tight they'll probably get a huge income boost.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Do they have a live-in nanny? That's the only way I can see $3000+ on infant care.

"Living like kings, don't have debt, but feel like we should be living like literal gods, help with a budget."

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

DaveSauce posted:

Guillotine yes, but BWM? Only BWM thing there is Boston.

You look at that and the only BWM thing you see is due to higher COL?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

SlapActionJackson posted:

Is infant care in Boston really $3300 mo?

3300 sounds high to me, but if it's in the city proper instead of a burb, probably.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Do they have a live-in nanny? That's the only way I can see $3000+ on infant care.

"Living like kings, don't have debt, but feel like we should be living like literal gods, help with a budget."

quote:

(our current place is lovely..2400 for 600 sq ft and still had rat problems, but hey it’s Boston)

I mean they have a ton of money, but I wouldn't classify their living conditions as "living like kings"

I don't know Boston but I can't imagine 4400 is anything but a standard apartment anywhere else considering if they were paying double my mortgage for a 600 sqft shithole.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Krispy Wafer posted:

That's one thing I would think makes sense for them, depending on specialty. Call schedules don't conform to regular childcare business hours.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

DaveSauce posted:

Guillotine yes, but BWM? Only BWM thing there is Boston. They're doing all their saving/retirement whatever correctly. I feel like unless they have expensive tastes, they're WAY overestimating their miscellaneous costs, because the $2,000 leftover after bills/etc. is more than GWM people with normal incomes have.

To me the BWM is doubling your rent thinking it will eliminate the rats and other hazards of city living.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DaveSauce posted:

I mean they have a ton of money, but I wouldn't classify their living conditions as "living like kings"

I don't know Boston but I can't imagine 4400 is anything but a standard apartment anywhere else considering if they were paying double my mortgage for a 600 sqft shithole.

I mean there are poor kings and there are rich kings. These are middle-class kings.

They also eat where ever they want, will be sparing no expense in childcare, and put airfare in the same category as soap. They do live in a rat infested apartment, but it's Boston. I'm guessing that's all apartments in Boston.

When Bostonians say 'rat' does it sound like 'at'?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

DaveSauce posted:

The right answer is to get the gently caress out of dodge and reap the benefits of having dual doctor income in a normal COL area. They'd take a pay cut but they would live like kings anywhere else.

Plus once she's out of residency, her income will probably at least double. I dunno how doctor pay scales work, but he's over triple hers, so if they just sit tight they'll probably get a huge income boost.

Living beyond your means is bad with money.

They could rent a 2 BR in Boston for an average of $2,550. They chose instead to spend $4,400 a month.

Full time childcare in Boston averages $18,000 per child per year. They chose instead to spend $3,300 a month (this is about how much your take-home pay ends up being as a resident, BTW).

Their $4,400 doesn't cover parking, for another $500 a month. Another grand for associated car costs. They can keep the car and commute from somewhere cheaper, or lose it entirely, but have done neither to the tune of $18,000 a year.

Loans are loans and they'll be paid as they're due, but they have made several disastrous choices to live beyond what they earn.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Are we reading different posts, or did I gently caress up my math?

Because by my calculations, after all the "mandatory" payments (rent, food, utilities, insurance, day care, etc.) they still have $2,000/mo to pay for "miscellaneous" expenses, of which they've somehow allocated $1,800 into unknown categories.

Keep in mind they are already maxing their 401(k)s. The only thing I don't see is saving for their kid's college fund...

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

4400 rent
350 parking spot

Meanwhile, bay area residents making 1/3 their income take another drink and then laugh, but they're not quite certain what's the funny part.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Sundae posted:

Meanwhile, bay area residents making 1/3 their income take another drink and then laugh, but they're not quite certain what's the funny part.

Are those filthy poors enjoying their box wine?

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Xenocides posted:

Are those filthy pools enjoying their box wine?

Why isn’t canned wine a thing?

(Someone’s gonna link canned wine)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah it's extremely a thing

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

very thing, yes

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

colachute posted:

Why isn’t canned wine a thing?

(Someone’s gonna link canned wine)

It is a thing, no need to link.

It will probably go away because wine packaging is marketing, and superior technology (like bag in box, screw caps) aren't "fancy" enough for expensive wine.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
There's some good canned wine, but it's more expensive than bottled so I don't get the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Nocheez posted:

There's some good canned wine, but it's more expensive than bottled so I don't get the point.

This is the opposite of what my expectations are.