Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I think we should separate questions of the MCU and hollywood-at-large's obsession with guilt free violence from hot takes like "Cap raped Peggy"

Its unfortunate that the prevalence for dishonest poo poo-stirring has lead to a reality where one cannot talk about anything in terms of the film's messaging without it being lumped in with dishonest trolling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
By all means, let's start!

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Supercar Gautier posted:

MCU 2018: Every moving car on Earth crashes, either because its driver has vanished, or because it has been struck by some other now-driverless car
MCU 2023: Every moving car on Earth crashes again, even more gruesomely, when millions of humans reappear, dazed, in the middle of the same busy roads they vanished from

We've seen previously that the mind stone has what might be termed a 'conciousness'.

It's possible the gauntlet is sentient and I imagine you just think what you want and the mind stone does all the hard sums of not having people reappear in space/a wall/at 30,000 feet.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mel Mudkiper posted:

hollywood-at-large's obsession with guilt free violence
From a certain point of view, this is all Cap's ever known. Bad guys bad.
I guess Civil War kind of puts a dent in this.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think we should separate questions of the MCU and hollywood-at-large's obsession with guilt free violence from hot takes like "Cap raped Peggy"

Its unfortunate that the prevalence for dishonest poo poo-stirring has lead to a reality where one cannot talk about anything in terms of the film's messaging without it being lumped in with dishonest trolling

the clear answer is to believe all attempts at discussion are earnest and not worry about being 'trolled'

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The most dishonest thing about the cap raped Peggy theory is that it requires the poster to pretend that they understand how the time travel works, which assumes it makes sense in the first place.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's a fair point.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Again, it’s fuckin bizarre that people don’t have a counterargument. It’s just like ‘stop being mean to Steve; he’s a veteran he earned this’ or like ‘its gross I don’t want to think about it’ in the multi-googolplex death movie.

But it’s also interesting that, with Spiderman thing, people are expressing sadness that Parker was forced to do that. Nobody’s doing a “not my Spiderman”.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Again, it’s fuckin bizarre that people don’t have a counterargument. It’s just like ‘stop being mean to Steve; he’s a veteran he earned this’ or like ‘its gross I don’t want to think about it’ in the multi-googolplex death movie.

But it’s also interesting that, with Spiderman thing, people are expressing sadness that Parker was forced to do that. Nobody’s doing a “not my Spiderman”.

The counter argument is that he is Steve Rogers and Peggy missed him. If my partner turned up ten years older and explained she had fought through an army from an alternate universe to be with me, I'd accept it. He's the Steve that went into the ice.

E: the master of magic and banner discuss the timeline returning to a single stream once Steve does his mission to return the stones. There's no requirement for him to return to 2019. There is one timeline and Steve Rogers is who he says he is.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 1, 2019

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I am confused, how is it possible to have a counter-argument based on the events in the film (the facts), when the premise is based on extra-factual assumptions (you have to assume that OG Cap was deceptive)?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

”.

Please change the loving record.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i mean, i kinda am doing a 'not my spiderman' thing 'cause i think the mcu treatment of him is complete rear end and misses most of what i like about the character in other iterations

might as well give him that lovely rear end captain universe costume if he's out fighting space aliens to the death

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It's probably because most depictions of Spiderman kill at one point or another

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

The most dishonest thing about the cap raped Peggy theory is that it requires the poster to pretend that they understand how the time travel works, which assumes it makes sense in the first place.

The cool part about SMG's "Cap raped Peggy" idea is the implicit assumption that women have no agency

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Multiple people have given you a counter argument though. Assuming he tells her everything then it's not rape as there is no deception.

This does still open up the problem of them then presumably leaving the other Steve frozen. This makes Steve and Peggy very selfish, but there is no rape involved.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

The cool part about SMG's "Cap raped Peggy" idea is the implicit assumption that women have no agency

Or that they're cool with loving both you and your doppleganger.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ruddiger posted:

Or that they're cool with loving both you and your doppleganger.

In that case only one of them would be going to bonetown since in order for it to be rape through omission/deceit she would never know she banged someone else unless they decided to get weird with it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Flying Zamboni posted:

Multiple people have given you a counter argument though. Assuming he tells her everything then it's not rape as there is no deception.

This does still open up the problem of them then presumably leaving the other Steve frozen. This makes Steve and Peggy very selfish, but there is no rape involved.

so either steve is a ghoulishly terrible person or steve and peggy are both ghoulishly terrible people

great movie marvel

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

JBP posted:

The counter argument is that he is Steve Rogers and Peggy missed him. If my partner turned up ten years older and explained she had fought through an army from an alternate universe to be with me, I'd accept it. He's the Steve that went into the ice.

E: the master of magic and banner discuss the timeline returning to a single stream once Steve does his mission to return the stones. There's no requirement for him to return to 2019. There is one timeline and Steve Rogers is who he says he is.

Too many contradictory events occur for it to be one timeline.

Even if you accept that Captain America wrangles Loki back to Earth moments after he escapes, and injects the red goo back into Natalie Portman's blood right after Rocket steals it, and all the other shenanigans that perfectly closing the loop would require-- there's no accounting for the fact that Thanos, who is one person, dies twice. Or the fact that a younger Nebula is killed by an older Nebula. Or the fact that Gamora dies and also doesn't. All of those things only make sense via alternate timelines.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Brother Entropy posted:

so either steve is a ghoulishly terrible person or steve and peggy are both ghoulishly terrible people

great movie marvel

Yeah, I can't think of any way within the logic of the movie that it doesn't set up ethical problems, it's only a matter of to what degree.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Brother Entropy posted:

great movie marvel

Captain America: Personification of imperialist nation built on slavery and complicit in genocide and crimes against humanity.
Thor: Same except for the time rapist part probably
Iron Man: Capitalist warmonger and profiteer. Deploys child soldiers
Black Widow: Same but for Soviet Russia also and also the time rapist thing
Hawkeye: Probably pretty ok
War Machine: Come on
Hulk: Also probably pretty ok

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 1, 2019

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

We literally only ever saw them dance.

Edit: are we still supposed to be doing spoilers?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The implications of the time travel make Steve a terrible person but marrying Peggy is really the least of his sins.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hobo Clown posted:

We literally only ever saw them dance.

We know that they were married.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Necrothatcher posted:

We know that they were married.

We only know that he's married

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Hawkeye: Probably pretty ok

Hawkeye got so mad that nonwhite people survived the snap that he went on murder sprees in Mexico, Japan, and god knows where else.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Supercar Gautier posted:

Hawkeye got so mad that nonwhite people survived the snap that he went on murder sprees in Mexico, Japan, and god knows where else.

Oh good point

Hawkeye: Extrajudicial murderer. Bad haircut.
Hulk: Still probably ok

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

He actually married Peggy's child as an old man

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

We only know that he's married

...to the women who he's romantically slow dancing with in the very next shot.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
In an attempt to breed a generation of super soldiers, every female American of age is legally married to Steve Rogers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Necrothatcher posted:

...to the women who he's romantically slow dancing with in the very next shot.

Maybe they broke up, lots of people romantically slow dance with lots of people.

Like obviously they got married but if we're being literal about what they show then all they actually did we know for sure is dance in the 40s

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 1, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Maybe they broke up, lots of people romantically slow dance with lots of people

What point are you trying to make here?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Necrothatcher posted:

I was going off what Hobo Clown said - we literally only see a dance. :v:

Everything else is up to our imaginations

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Necrothatcher posted:

I think he's just poking fun at people saying we need to explicitly view every event on screen rather than making easy inferences.

RBA Starblade posted:

I was going off what Hobo Clown said - we literally only see a dance. :v:

CBN_Shaggy
Aug 6, 2001

WHAMMIED! :(

Supercar Gautier posted:

Too many contradictory events occur for it to be one timeline.

Even if you accept that Captain America wrangles Loki back to Earth moments after he escapes, and injects the red goo back into Natalie Portman's blood right after Rocket steals it, and all the other shenanigans that perfectly closing the loop would require-- there's no accounting for the fact that Thanos, who is one person, dies twice. Or the fact that a younger Nebula is killed by an older Nebula. Or the fact that Gamora dies and also doesn't. All of those things only make sense via alternate timelines.

That was his mission. Trimming the branches. He must've succeeded because the timeline did not fragment, else he could not have taken the long way home.

In the MCU, it is possible through time shenanigans, for a being to die twice. This is shown, very clearly. There were no shown aftereffects, ripples, or paradoxes created when this happens which affect the timestream. This is in sharp contrast to pretty much every movie they rattle off, especially, Back to the Future.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Again, it’s fuckin bizarre that people don’t have a counterargument.

Numerous people have a counter-argument. It's that "rape" implies purposeful deception on Steve's part, and there's no reason to assume that happened. Describing it as "rape" requires a whole imagined plot where Steve falsely claims to be the same man from her time, and totally omits every other detail. There's no reason to think that happened. You're usually dead-set against people imagining offscreen fanfic explanations for plot details, and you're doing exactly that here.

I don't understand why this specific point is so central to your argument. There's plenty to discuss with regards to Steve being a time traveling doppelgänger from an alternate reality. The time travel logic of the movie is nonsensical in general. But "Steve Rogers: Time Rapist" is an extremely bizarre and stupid thing to fixate on.

Edit: Thread moves too fast, but other people are saying the same things.

Xealot fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 1, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JBP posted:

I think he's just poking fun at people saying we need to explicitly view every event on screen rather than making easy inferences.

Yeah I'm just playing around, it's really obvious they got married, though I don't think Hobo Clown's point of what we were actually shown should be that quickly dismissed.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

JBP posted:

That’s not your partner; it’s a clone with her memories. Like imagine there are three of these clones and your real partner - the one you fell in love with - is right beside you. I know that there have been a few jokes like “hurf blurf I’d have a foursome”, but we all know this would be a nightmare if it were to actually happen.

And these reactions colour the whole film. It’s not just the ending, but your entire concept of heroism here - and your understanding of all the other scenes. There’s an whole sequence where Steve is annoyed by a younger clone for a reason. Moreover, there’s a whole Ang Lee superhero movie with that concept coming out soon.

Like, the same crowd praising the ten-second Spice Girls thing are also saying that we shouldn’t talk about consent (or, more generally, this notion of the man being rewarded with a wife). I’m against that.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

CBN_Shaggy posted:

That was his mission. Trimming the branches. He must've succeeded because the timeline did not fragment, else he could not have taken the long way home.

In the MCU, it is possible through time shenanigans, for a being to die twice. This is shown, very clearly. There were no shown aftereffects, ripples, or paradoxes created when this happens which affect the timestream. This is in sharp contrast to pretty much every movie they rattle off, especially, Back to the Future.

Fiction can be inconsistent or paradoxical whether or not the writer acknowledges that it is so. Just because you can write it doesn't mean it makes sense. "This statement is false" being the classic example.

There are only two ways for Nebula to kill her younger self without creating a paradox.

1: Travelling to the past merely creates a temporary virtual instance of that past moment. This simulation contains genuine sentient beings and genuinely potent artifacts, any of which may be brought back by the traveler into the prime reality; however, none of the events which occur in this ephemeral space have any causal effect outside of its boundaries.
2: There's alternate timelines.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

That’s not your partner; it’s a clone with her memories. Like imagine there are three of these clones and your real partner - the one you fell in love with - is right beside you. I know that there have been a few jokes like “hurf blurf I’d have a foursome”, but we all know this would be a nightmare if it were to actually happen.

If I could travel to an alternate dimension and be with a version of my dead partner I'd do it in a heartbeat.