Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Keep watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I feel like the Workers never even say anything.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Vavrek posted:

I feel like the Workers never even say anything.

Let the warriors speak of war, let the religious speak of the soul, the workers have work to do.

Watching And The Rock Called Out No Hiding Place: I love how drat catty Brother Theo is meeting with the other preachers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's like the demographics of the mimbari? It can't be an even 3-way split between the castes, you can't have 1 worker supporting 1 soldier and 1 priest.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Baronjutter posted:

What's like the demographics of the mimbari? It can't be an even 3-way split between the castes, you can't have 1 worker supporting 1 soldier and 1 priest.

And you don't. Which is why Delenn later reorganises the Grey Council to have five worker caste and only two each of the other castes.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Oh no Londo don't accept the Eye from that shady guy.

Dooon't :ohdear:.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Baronjutter posted:

Thing is, the reason it's the Minbari Federation is that they also have some protectorate races in their territory who trade resources and finished goods in exchange for the Minbari guaranteeing their safety. So you can have a 1 to 1 to 1 demo split...if your total 3 caste members are supported by 12 protectorate folks each.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Mimbari are, as a whole, a deeply backward, genocidal, ultra-conservative imperialistic power barely held in check by the politicial machinations of people like Delen.

Also Delen's little lacky is a kinda lovely dude. I get the sense he doesn't do anything out of any sort of convictions, just a sense of blind duty and his incel love for Delen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baronjutter posted:

Also Delen's little lacky is a kinda lovely dude. I get the sense he doesn't do anything out of any sort of convictions, just a sense of blind duty and his incel love for Delen.

You would be 100% correct about Lennier.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Never trust the quiet ones.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There was a scene where some dude at the space airport was chatting with him and he was all fussy and annoyed by it. I guess telling the dude he didn't want to talk would break some holy pact of politeness, he instead made up a story about how he has some horrible contagious disease and was going home to die from it. The friendly but a bit overbearing dude gave his condolences and left him alone. He rolled his eyes and said to him self that he'll just do some extra prayer ritual or what ever to make up for that white lie.

His whole life is about maximizing karma points or what ever, he's like Doug from The Good Place who figured out the point system and is living a 100% selfless life to maximize his points, but not because he's an actual good dude who cares about the world, simply because he's gotta maximize his good place points. Leneer sees the entire world as something he just has to endure and roll his eyes at over the hope he'll what.. get enough soul points for the universe to reward him with Delen? I could see the guy going full incel mass-shooter the moment he knows that ship has sailed or his religion's just some myths and moral guidance.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Baronjutter posted:

There was a scene where some dude at the space airport was chatting with him and he was all fussy and annoyed by it. I guess telling the dude he didn't want to talk would break some holy pact of politeness, he instead made up a story about how he has some horrible contagious disease and was going home to die from it. The friendly but a bit overbearing dude gave his condolences and left him alone. He rolled his eyes and said to him self that he'll just do some extra prayer ritual or what ever to make up for that white lie.

His whole life is about maximizing karma points or what ever, he's like Doug from The Good Place who figured out the point system and is living a 100% selfless life to maximize his points, but not because he's an actual good dude who cares about the world, simply because he's gotta maximize his good place points. Leneer sees the entire world as something he just has to endure and roll his eyes at over the hope he'll what.. get enough soul points for the universe to reward him with Delen? I could see the guy going full incel mass-shooter the moment he knows that ship has sailed or his religion's just some myths and moral guidance.

This is an absolutely perfect description, and also of a couple of people I've met over the years.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Lennier the Minbari.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Baronjutter posted:

This is something I didn't catch about Lennier until about my second or third run through the series, and it made something that happens later make a lot more sense when it had previously pissed me off at how out of character it seemed. Good catch, this early.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
He even does the "my love for her is pure and different, you wouldn't understand" speech at one point.

Bill Mumy does a pretty good job with him though. Hey, did you know he was the Lost In Space kid? I always thought that was funny.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gnome de plume posted:

He even does the "my love for her is pure and different, you wouldn't understand" speech at one point.

Bill Mumy does a pretty good job with him though. Hey, did you know he was the Lost In Space kid? I always thought that was funny.

He actually has a cameo in the Netflix remake of Lost in Space. He's the real Dr. Smith.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gnome de plume posted:

He’s also the boy who wishes people into the corn field in that one Twilight Zone, and he reprises the role in the kind of lovely upn twilight zone.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Baronjutter posted:

i had been interpreting lenier as a clutch player who always comes through but i had forgotten his "nice guy" speech about delenn. he was carrying the printer the whole time :aaaaa:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Gnome de plume posted:

He's also one of the people behind that Fish Heads song.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bieeanshee posted:

He's also one of the people behind that Fish Heads song.

Barnes & Barnes!

https://youtu.be/cn73Wtem0No

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
He also died on DS9.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The actress who plays "Number One" on Mars has the weirdest voice. Is she doing an accent? Is she deaf? Is it just really weird delivery?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Baronjutter posted:

The Mimbari are, as a whole, a deeply backward, genocidal, ultra-conservative imperialistic power barely held in check by the politicial machinations of people like Delen.

You can't just call them backward without any qualifiers, because they're certainly not technologically backward. Their society is.

Also, I'm not seeing the imperialistic part. That said, you're spot on with your other points.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Torrannor posted:

You can't just call them backward without any qualifiers, because they're certainly not technologically backward. Their society is.

Also, I'm not seeing the imperialistic part. That said, you're spot on with your other points.

They apparently have a vast collection of "protectorates" which they simply "protect" out of the goodness and honour of their hearts and totally don't gain economic benefits from these lesser races.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Baronjutter posted:

The actress who plays "Number One" on Mars has the weirdest voice. Is she doing an accent? Is she deaf? Is it just really weird delivery?

I don't know about that lady, but the guy who played Dr Franklin was partially deaf in one ear and totally deaf in the other!

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Gnome de plume posted:

I guess the question is did JMS write Lennier like that intentionally or did those characteristics come about about as a consequence of his own goonish tendencies (thinking of that time he tried to hit on Claudia Christian and got firmly shut down)?

Does he actually think Lennier is a good guy and not a hapless jerk?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Baronjutter posted:

They apparently have a vast collection of "protectorates" which they simply "protect" out of the goodness and honour of their hearts and totally don't gain economic benefits from these lesser races.

We have virtually no information about the "protectorates". They could be exploitative in nature, or benevolent. The Mimbari were described several times as notably isolationist, which doesn't really square with being imperialist.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They weren't isolationist back during the first Shadow War were they? Could be that they briefly splurged on imperialism, securing their own little zone of space before shutting themselves (and their subjects) off from all outsiders. Could explain what happened to the other races involved in the first shadow war too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I saw her at a B5 panel circa 2002. Her voice sounds like that in normal life though she has a somewhat artificial cadence when she speaks on the show.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Torrannor posted:

We have virtually no information about the "protectorates". They could be exploitative in nature, or benevolent. The Mimbari were described several times as notably isolationist, which doesn't really square with being imperialist.

So was ancient China, but they sure loved their local tributaries, which they saw as a natural and a benevolent arrangement. The military caste was also going on about how they need to go back to "practical" wars fought for concrete gains rather than moral reasons.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Maelstache posted:

I guess the question is did JMS write Lennier like that intentionally or did those characteristics come about about as a consequence of his own goonish tendencies (thinking of that time he tried to hit on Claudia Christian and got firmly shut down)?

Here lies Lennier, he never scored

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Maelstache posted:

I think it's a little bit of both. I admit this is pure supposition but I feel like he started writing Lennier this particular way unconsciously, and somewhere along the line he realized what he was doing. I feel like his whole conversation with Dead Morden doesn't work otherwise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I think it's a little bit of both. I admit this is pure supposition but I feel like he started writing Lennier this particular way unconsciously, and somewhere along the line he realized what he was doing. I feel like his whole conversation with Dead Morden doesn't work otherwise.

I would not be surprised if this is the case. Especially with how things end for Lennier in his moment of weakness.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fixing a motorcycle and riding around the station Lennier seems a bit different from chip on his shoulder cuck incel Lennier.
And I'm not throwing around the word cuck, he litterally had to stand there while John shouted "woohoo" with her and pretend it was a great honour.

Anyways, looking forward to season 5, I heard it's the weakest season from some folks and I'm sad it will be the last.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baronjutter posted:

Fixing a motorcycle and riding around the station Lennier seems a bit different from chip on his shoulder cuck incel Lennier.
And I'm not throwing around the word cuck, he litterally had to stand there while John shouted "woohoo" with her and pretend it was a great honour.

Anyways, looking forward to season 5, I heard it's the weakest season from some folks and I'm sad it will be the last.

Season 5 is gonna spin its wheels pretty hard for a while, but the latter half is as good as the rest of the show.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Season 5 is gonna spin its wheels pretty hard for a while, but the latter half is as good as the rest of the show.

It starts off with what is easily my favorite Londo episode and then...yeah...yeahhhhhh

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Can't lose what was never yours.

Although it's anyone's guess how Minbari/Minbari courting is supposed to go. Could be that you're supposed to do unrequited pining for X amount of time until the pants come off, or even romantic impulses could be completely unrelated to long-term pairbonding, like maybe they do arranged marriages.

Delenn's approach to romance did have its own little air of pining from afar and making huge gestures out of nowhere, unasked, even if it was never so bad.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Neddy Seagoon posted:

i have also been bummed about this but there is a whole half-season of spin off show nobody seems to mention so that has gotta be good right? right?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lol but seriously posted:

i have also been bummed about this but there is a whole half-season of spin off show nobody seems to mention so that has gotta be good right? right?!

how do you feel about lumbergh from Office Space, and holy cow that movie is 20 years old