Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

slidebite posted:

A semi-local guy has a Celesctron A-VX mount for sale, about 50% off new. Looks to be in great shape, firmware updated, all manuals. I'm thinking of buying this and putting my 8SE tube on it and getting my toes wet for astrophotography.

Decent mount if I can get it for a good price?

I think that's a good deal for an AVX, however I think astrophotography with an 8" SCT is a bit much for the mount's capacity. (My first kit was an C8+AVX) It'll probably be fine for learning though, or for planetary, or if you can't do exposures more than a few minutes long due to light pollution (for DSOs). And it's fine for visual, and smaller scopes. I put my 80mm refractor on mine usually.

The one recurring problem I have had with mine is drift in the DEC axis, but I have never tried to tune mine or do PEC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oh dear, the 8" pushing it? I thought it had a capacity of something like 30+lbs - the 8" is something like 10-11lbs isn't it?

Golden-i posted:

I've got the Advanced VX that I use with an 8" tube, it's a really good intermediate mount. I have it coupled with a tracking camera and it still has some issues with tracking near zenith, I imagine that's due to the relatively tiny motions required, but otherwise it's pretty accurate once you figure out the process to get it aligned.

Also, if you live somewhere cold, the handset screen is completely unreadable once it hits a bit under freezing. I can't use it under about 20F, which isn't a big deal for some people at all but defines about half the year's nights in Minnesota, so just something worth mentioning.

I am in Canada but don't like going out when it's really cold, but that's good info to know.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
The general rule is 1/2 of the weight capacity. According to Celestron, the AVX capacity is 30 lbs and the C8-XLT weighs 12.5 lbs. Add other bits (camera, off axis finder, barlow lens, what have you) and you're getting up there. All I know is that I got a lot better tracking performance out of my second mount, an EQ-6R, with my C8. Plus I like EQMOD a lot.

As usual, search on Cloudy Nights for AVX info and you'll see the kind of reports I'm talking about. It's a good mount but you just have to understand its limitations.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
It is a little funny that they sell the mount/scope pack that I bought with the AVX and an 8" Newtonian, which weighs 14lbs. I have to balance it very, very carefully or else I do see poor tracking, and it may be why I still see a bit of drift on exposures over 2 mins near zenith.

I guess when they sell those packages, they aren't really intending for someone to pile ten pounds of photography gear onto it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hmm, this is really making me think about what I want to do here. Appreciate the input guys.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Looked back a bit on the thread but I couldn't find anything. I have a chance to see the solar eclipse in July in South America. Any suggestions on decent "eclipse glasses" that I can get off Amazon?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Looked back a bit on the thread but I couldn't find anything. I have a chance to see the solar eclipse in July in South America. Any suggestions on decent "eclipse glasses" that I can get off Amazon?

Amazon had a nasty rash of fraudulent solar filter glasses sold in the leadup to the August 2017 eclipse.

If you have to buy on Amazon, I would buy from a third‐party seller that is a verified customer of American Paper Optics.

Are you going to go blind if you buy something fulfilled by Amazon? Probably not—quite a lot of people looked at the Sun in 2017 and very few went blind—but I don’t trust Amazon’s inventory system.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Saw M81/82 last night. :dance:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I am just outside Panama City right now, so light pollution is a thing; but my hotel room is a straight SE view over the ocean so I can easily make out Alpha and Beta Centuri and the southern cross.

As a Canadian, it's pretty cool to see southern stuff.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I've been undertaking various modding projects on my Dob lately.

My main telescope is a Zhumell Z12 (12", f/5 Newtonian). It's been with me for years, but recently I was browsing through the Zhumell modding thread on Cloudy Nights and decided that I wanted to do some upgrades of my own.

So over the past couple weeks, I've done the following:
  • Cleaned, waxed, and regreased the focuser. Rotated the focuser 45 degrees so that the focus knobs are horizontal when pointing skywards.
  • Replaced the secondary collimation screws (with the ones from Bob's Knobs), and replaced the steel washer with ones made out of 'milk jug' material- it has more give and allows more precision in collimating.
  • Attempted to replace the primary collimation screws, only to find that the replacements from Bob's Knobs don't seem to fit my first-generation Z12, and are designed for the second-gen Z12s. So the stock ones went back on.
  • Replaced the primary mirror springs. I think the previous owner had replaced them before, because the ones I pulled out were huge and definitely not stock.
  • Replaced the secondary mirror screws that held the spider in the optical tube, because I had lost one of them.
  • Remounted my Telrad using heavy-duty velcro, because the adhesive for the base had dried out.
  • Installed a baffle on the rear of the telescope to force airflow from the fan up the tube. Added a small 'ring baffle' around the front of the primary to force airflow over the mirror to disrupt the boundary layer.
  • Cleaned the mirror. I know this should be done extremely rarely, but it definitely needed it- because I've spent literal years without a proper scope cover. (I have one now.)
  • Upgraded my eyepiece tray (it has *two* 2" slots now!!) and attached a file holder to the base for the binder that has my star charts.
  • Added a knob at the front of the tube that I can grab to move the telescope around. No more holding onto the tube itself to move it!
  • Made a counterweight from a magnetic screw tray and a big heavy ceramic magnet. It doesn't work great at low altitudes but it gets the job done everywhere else.
  • Attempted to flock the tube with black velvet to reduce stray light. This...didn't go well. I accidentally tore it, it didn't stick to the carpet tape, it didn't go in smoothly, it was a pain in the rear end and I ended up removing it. I'll probably just buy the pre-made flocking paper stuff and do that instead.
  • Applied some old glow-in-the-dark tape I had lying around as aesthetic trim for parts of the base.

Future upgrades include flocking the telescope properly and replacing the azimuth bearing.

My eyepiece collection has also expanded (my wallet and I are not on speaking terms right now). I now have an Explore Scientific 82 degree 30mm, a Baader Morpheus 17.5mm, an ES 82 11mm, and an ES 82 6.7mm. That covers a good range of magnifications: 50x, 86x, 136x, and 224x, respectively. I didn't buy the ES 82 18mm because the eye relief isn't long enough for my eyeglasses, and it seems to be less well received than the rest of the ES 82 line. I observe with my glasses because I have hilariously bad astigmatism.

Recent observing, being spring, has been tons of galaxies. Bagged my first galaxy clusters(Virgo doesn't count)- A1367 (Leo), A1656(Coma), A779(Lynx), and A1060(Hydra). Leo and Coma are definitely the brightest. Galaxy clusters are odd- you can identify a few galaxies, but the background sky is kind of faintly 'mottled' from the light of galaxies you just can't quite make out, even from a class 1 site. I'd love ~*~more aperture~*~ but I can't reasonably justify going bigger than a 12" right now.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Luneshot posted:

I've been undertaking various modding projects on my Dob lately.

My main telescope is a Zhumell Z12 (12", f/5 Newtonian). It's been with me for years, but recently I was browsing through the Zhumell modding thread on Cloudy Nights and decided that I wanted to do some upgrades of my own.

So over the past couple weeks, I've done the following:
  • Cleaned, waxed, and regreased the focuser. Rotated the focuser 45 degrees so that the focus knobs are horizontal when pointing skywards.
  • Replaced the secondary collimation screws (with the ones from Bob's Knobs), and replaced the steel washer with ones made out of 'milk jug' material- it has more give and allows more precision in collimating.
  • Attempted to replace the primary collimation screws, only to find that the replacements from Bob's Knobs don't seem to fit my first-generation Z12, and are designed for the second-gen Z12s. So the stock ones went back on.
  • Replaced the primary mirror springs. I think the previous owner had replaced them before, because the ones I pulled out were huge and definitely not stock.
  • Replaced the secondary mirror screws that held the spider in the optical tube, because I had lost one of them.
  • Remounted my Telrad using heavy-duty velcro, because the adhesive for the base had dried out.
  • Installed a baffle on the rear of the telescope to force airflow from the fan up the tube. Added a small 'ring baffle' around the front of the primary to force airflow over the mirror to disrupt the boundary layer.
  • Cleaned the mirror. I know this should be done extremely rarely, but it definitely needed it- because I've spent literal years without a proper scope cover. (I have one now.)
  • Upgraded my eyepiece tray (it has *two* 2" slots now!!) and attached a file holder to the base for the binder that has my star charts.
  • Added a knob at the front of the tube that I can grab to move the telescope around. No more holding onto the tube itself to move it!
  • Made a counterweight from a magnetic screw tray and a big heavy ceramic magnet. It doesn't work great at low altitudes but it gets the job done everywhere else.
  • Attempted to flock the tube with black velvet to reduce stray light. This...didn't go well. I accidentally tore it, it didn't stick to the carpet tape, it didn't go in smoothly, it was a pain in the rear end and I ended up removing it. I'll probably just buy the pre-made flocking paper stuff and do that instead.
  • Applied some old glow-in-the-dark tape I had lying around as aesthetic trim for parts of the base.

Future upgrades include flocking the telescope properly and replacing the azimuth bearing.

My eyepiece collection has also expanded (my wallet and I are not on speaking terms right now). I now have an Explore Scientific 82 degree 30mm, a Baader Morpheus 17.5mm, an ES 82 11mm, and an ES 82 6.7mm. That covers a good range of magnifications: 50x, 86x, 136x, and 224x, respectively. I didn't buy the ES 82 18mm because the eye relief isn't long enough for my eyeglasses, and it seems to be less well received than the rest of the ES 82 line. I observe with my glasses because I have hilariously bad astigmatism.

Recent observing, being spring, has been tons of galaxies. Bagged my first galaxy clusters(Virgo doesn't count)- A1367 (Leo), A1656(Coma), A779(Lynx), and A1060(Hydra). Leo and Coma are definitely the brightest. Galaxy clusters are odd- you can identify a few galaxies, but the background sky is kind of faintly 'mottled' from the light of galaxies you just can't quite make out, even from a class 1 site. I'd love ~*~more aperture~*~ but I can't reasonably justify going bigger than a 12" right now.

Good work, those sound like excellent upgrades. If you have a chance to take pictures of that stuff I'd love to see what you've done, especially the status of the mirror, the knob you added to the front of the tube, and your magnetic counterweight.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I’ll gladly post pics, although I probably won’t get around to it until tomorrow. They’re not the most aesthetically pleasing upgrades, but I’m more interested in what I can see through the eyepiece.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Luneshot, your taste in equipment is similar to my own.

I’d never heard hate for the 18 mm ES like I have for the 14 mm. I have an 18 mm and I like it fine, the caveat being that I do not wear glasses.

Of course, the 11 mm is the one I appreciate most.

Luneshot posted:

I put a generous eyepiece rack on mine (five two-inch holders, six inch-and-a-quarter), but I don’t have a file holder. That’s clever.

quote:

Made a counterweight from a magnetic screw tray and a big heavy ceramic magnet. It doesn't work great at low altitudes but it gets the job done everywhere else.

The problem here is that all the heavy stuff is on top of the tube—the focuser is above the centreline, as is the finder, and likely your counterweight.

If you don’t want the telescope to develop significant torque at any attitude, its centre of mass must run through its altitude bearing axis.

The way I accomplished this on my telescope is I put a lot of weight on the bottom front corners, i.e. five and seven o’clock when the telescope is aimed at the horizon.

The 30 mm eyepiece is inordinately heavy, so I balanced the telescope for it. Whenever I use any other, lighter eyepiece, I attach a kilogram weight near the focuser with some 3M Dual Lock. I have a long strip running along the tube so I can fine-tune the longitudinal balance by adjusting where this supplemental weight is attached

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 5, 2019

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Didn't want to take out the mirror cell to take pictures again, but here's some pics of everything else.
Front end here. Lots of tape residue still in the tube from my failed flocking job. Counterweight on the back.

Closeup of the counterweight. This is just a cheap magnetic tray you can find at Harbor Freight or whatever, with a fat ceramic magnet from McMaster-Carr I bought while I was buying other specialty screws and such that I needed. It's been wrapped in electrical tape so it's not completely exposed. Normally this is on the bottom of the tube at the rear end, because that balances it more along the axis (basically what Platystemon said.)

Rear end baffle. Not pretty. This is just foam board painted black, with a hole cut for the fan. And a lot of black tape to cover my rather questionable workmanship. The fan battery pack is velcro'd to the bottom of the tube as a little bit of extra counterweight.

Binder holder and eyepiece rack. The peg for the spring is irritatingly close to the eyepieces so I might move the file rack to the other side and lower the eyepiece tray.

The pointing knob, which is just a cabinet knob from the hardware store. I chose white because it was a relatively larger knob (although I'd still prefer a little larger) and because that would be easier to find in the dark.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Yo thread, I wanna buy a big-rear end telescope 'cause my Meade 50x from 1996 just doesn't cut it anymore. What's the biggest I can get and still cram it into a vehicle / bicycle cargo trailer, but which will make DOS's look really awesome to the eye? I have little interest in astrophotography, I just want to oogle pretty globular clusters and such.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Rime posted:

Yo thread, I wanna buy a big-rear end telescope 'cause my Meade 50x from 1996 just doesn't cut it anymore. What's the biggest I can get and still cram it into a vehicle / bicycle cargo trailer, but which will make DOS's look really awesome to the eye? I have little interest in astrophotography, I just want to oogle pretty globular clusters and such.

What's the size of your cargo trailer? A lot of truss tube dobs are relatively compact.

Also, of course: budget? You can get a 22" Dob that'll fit in a trunk ( if you want to pay ten grand for an Obsession. )

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

or

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

How do you find that scope / mount, apart from AP? I was thinking of upgrading from an Orion XT6 to that one.

e: Still interested in your thoughts should you happen to run across this, but likely I'll just try some different finders (at least for now) rather than buying the 8SE.

I've had both the Orion XT6 and the Celestron 8SE. I was fortunate that both examples I had were great performers. Both are pretty much one-trip carries out to the back yard, awkward, but doable. Both put up *really* great images of planets and the moon from my light polluted back yard.

The XT6 is easier to collimate than the 8SE, but neither required collimation very often. The 8SE would be easier to attach a camera or binoviewer to, as there'd be plenty of back focus. The XT6 does not have a problem with dew, but the 8SE definitely does (your climate may vary) and requires a dew shield at least, heated dew shield probably recommended. The 8SE has a more consistent focuser/eyepiece position than the XT6, more easy to use seated for long periods of time.

The XT6 has no barrier to being used immediately. You plop it down and in a few minutes your little mirror is acclimated and you're off and observing. The 8SE requires a bit more acclimation time, as its heavy primary mirror is fully enclosed and doesn't cool down as fast. I usually would put it out in the yard before dinner and an hour later it'd be ready to rock.

The 8SE isn't easy to use without powering it up and aligning it, but that tracking is also a big strength. I found it very difficult to share the view with my kids with the XT6. You find Jupiter at 200x and get your kid up on the step to get to the eyepiece, and by the time they can see through it, the object has drifted out of sight. The 8SE will locate and track objects, and that makes for a much more relaxing experience sitting there studying the planet or whatever. Nicer than trying to glide on the XT6's cheap bearing system, and easier to share the view with friends and family.

If you save a bit more, the Nexstar Evolution is a worthy upgrade from the SE. Built in wifi and battery, much stronger arm. The 8" SCT on the SE mount maxes it out and the thing will quiver for a few seconds every time you touch the focuser, the Evolution is much more stable.

Both the XT6 and 8SE are great, I'd have an 8SE if I could have only one. It's several hundred dollars more, so it's not really a fair fight.

duodenum fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 18, 2019

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Rime posted:

Big aperture bouncing around in a bike trailer is probably bad news. If you like globs, maybe a 120ST, Hyperion Zoom, a Twilight I, and some dark skies, that'd hold up to bouncing around a bit. Unless you like assembling a truss and collimating.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

I've had both the Orion XT6 and the Celestron 8SE. I was fortunate that both examples I had were great performers. Both are pretty much one-trip carries out to the back yard, awkward, but doable. Both put up *really* great images of planets and the moon from my light polluted back yard.

The XT6 is easier to collimate than the 8SE, but neither required collimation very often. The 8SE would be easier to attach a camera or binoviewer to, as there'd be plenty of back focus. The XT6 does not have a problem with dew, but the 8SE definitely does (your climate may vary) and requires a dew shield at least, heated dew shield probably recommended. The 8SE has a more consistent focuser/eyepiece position than the XT6, more easy to use seated for long periods of time.

The XT6 has no barrier to being used immediately. You plop it down and in a few minutes your little mirror is acclimated and you're off and observing. The 8SE requires a bit more acclimation time, as its heavy primary mirror is fully enclosed and doesn't cool down as fast. I usually would put it out in the yard before dinner and an hour later it'd be ready to rock.

The 8SE isn't easy to use without powering it up and aligning it, but that tracking is also a big strength. I found it very difficult to share the view with my kids with the XT6. You find Jupiter at 200x and get your kid up on the step to get to the eyepiece, and by the time they can see through it, the object has drifted out of sight. The 8SE will locate and track objects, and that makes for a much more relaxing experience sitting there studying the planet or whatever. Nicer than trying to glide on the XT6's cheap bearing system, and easier to share the view with friends and family.

If you save a bit more, the Nexstar Evolution is a worthy upgrade from the SE. Built in wifi and battery, much stronger arm. The 8" SCT on the SE mount maxes it out and the thing will quiver for a few seconds every time you touch the focuser, the Evolution is much more stable.

Both the XT6 and 8SE are great, I'd have an 8SE if I could have only one. It's several hundred dollars more, so it's not really a fair fight.

Thanks *so* much for this, it’s exactly the sort of information I was looking for! I’ve enjoyed using the XT6 but we always go out as a family, so sharing views is key and quicker finding will also be helpful. And I’ll definitely check out the Evolution as well.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

Thanks *so* much for this, it’s exactly the sort of information I was looking for! I’ve enjoyed using the XT6 but we always go out as a family, so sharing views is key and quicker finding will also be helpful. And I’ll definitely check out the Evolution as well.

The diagonal that ships with the 8SE or the Nexstar Evolution is pretty cheap and should be your first upgrade. You can stick to something like this until you become a seriously seasoned observer... then you'll probably be spending two to three times that for a Zeiss prism or whatever your preference becomes.

The eyepieces that ship with any new scope are almost always pretty bad, especially the high power (small focal length number) ones. This series of eyepieces is pretty great bang for the buck. You might also consider the Baader Hyperion Zoom ($290 new, you can find them ~$200 used). It tops out at 8mm (~250x in an 8" SCT), which is more than enough for your average seeing w/r/t high magnification planetary observing. The Celestron Zoom ($65) is not bad, but not *nearly* in the same class as the Baader for viewing comfort and wide apparent field.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

A guy 2 hours away has a few year old HEQ5 on sale. Asking $400 :canada: for it. He send me a couple pictures. Price seems reasonable, seems like a normal human being on replies. I'm thinking of grabbing it.

It's black in color as opposed to how they are white on the Skywatcher website (not sure if that means anything... old?)

Thoughts for me 8SE? It has a bigger payload than the celestron AVX I was considering earlier and a bit cheaper too.

e: Looks like this model here. Might be quite old being black?
http://www.astro-baby.com/heq5-rebuild/heq5-m1.htm

Here is the actual mount

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 22, 2019

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

slidebite posted:

a few year old HEQ5 on sale. Asking $400 :canada: Here is the actual mount

The hand control is the type you'd use for simple dual axis drives, so this wouldn't be a goto mount. It would track something once you found it, but it won't be locating and slewing to objects on its own. The counterweight bar isn't visible, but on this mount it's supposed to stow up inside the mount. Might check for that. There also aren't any counterweights apparent in the photo, so check for those, too. Counterweights are more expensive than you'd realize.

As a mount, it's an excellent match for a C8, but it wouldn't automatically find objects like an AVX. The AVX is a pretty good value at its price point, and it has a very wide install base if you have problems or questions.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I thought it was a go-to. Thanks for mentioning that.

I'll probably pass based on that alone.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Craigslisting turned up something super weird and bizarre for my neck of the woods: the original factory prototype of the mak-newt now known as the 152mm Explore Scientific DHL Comet Hunter.

quote:

Maksotov newtonian 6" telescope 152mm by focal length telescope tube with Skywatcher Heq-5 motorized mount very sturdy, excellent condition. $1150.00

Further conversation indicated that this telescope was a "Meade prototype model", and since I couldn't see it for a few days I went to google. Preliminary research indicated that while Brasser (which owns Meade & ES) released this scope before the DHL branding deal, Meade never released a mak-newt of any kind. So I assumed it was prepping for release before the branding deal and just never hit market. A screaming deal on an offbrand DHL Comet Hunter? Awesome! But no.

Further research on Cloudy Nights turned up a thread for the original MaxVision release of this scope back in '08, manufactured by JOC (They're all still manufactured by JOC, in China, and rebranded), and showed pictures of a prototype which one member described as a "Meade 6-inch Schmidt Newtonian fitted with a meniscus corrector lens".

A one-off factory prototype from China which has now, 11 years later, made its way to Craigslist in Vancouver BC.

Somewhat cool from a collectors standpoint, I suppose, but it'd be insane to pay that price for it and an older non-goto HEQ5. Too much of a 50/50 gamble that it's either better than production because they were fine tuning everything and has better optics as a result, or is a complete barrel of worms and collimation nightmares since it's a Frankenstein cobbled together out of existing 'scope parts as a demonstration unit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is buying a wedge like this
https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Wedge-NexStar-Evolution-93665/dp/B018T2D2BY

Good enough to let me do some basic, minute or two exposures with my 8SE or do I need to go full-blown equatorial mount?

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

slidebite posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is buying a wedge like this
https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Wedge-NexStar-Evolution-93665/dp/B018T2D2BY

Good enough to let me do some basic, minute or two exposures with my 8SE or do I need to go full-blown equatorial mount?

Wedges can be effective, but your 8SE is a long focal length OTA on a mount that's barely able to accommodate it, even for visual use. The 8SE is wholly unsuitable for long exposure photography, the wedge will tax the SE mount even more and your results will be very frustrating.

If you want to use the 8" SCT as an astrophotography platform, you might consider Hyperstar. It's an attachment of optics that replaces the secondary mirror. You can attach a camera then to the front of your scope and collect light really REALLY fast at f/2. Combine that with a modern CMOS astronomy camera like an ASI294MC and you can get some great results with super short exposures live-stacked and no need for an equatorial mount or a wedge. With Hyperstar and an ASI294MC, you can do decent DSO photography with an 8SE. Hyperstar and an ASI294MC will cost you about $2k

Another thing you can do is maybe get that wedge and a small refractor. You can probably get some exposures with your SE mount on a wedge using a small refractor.

If you want to do AP, get a refractor and a field flattener. That's probably the most forgiving way to get started.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I started with an 8SE + AVX and agree with the above. I had a lot of frustration for a while until I ended up buying an 80mm refractor. The 8SE is great for planets though.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
I'm actually thinking about getting a refractor for DSO AP use. Any suggestions on something that I can mount on my AVX? I'm hoping for something a little lighter than my existing 8" reflector, which I love a whole lot but I think is just a little too heavy for accurate tracking at this point. I just don't know anything about refractor scopes at all, I've never actually used one.

Long-term I'll be getting a larger mount and a new tracking cam, but for now I'd like to get a little more life out of the AVX while I get more used to the basics.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Golden-i posted:

I'm actually thinking about getting a refractor for DSO AP use. Any suggestions on something that I can mount on my AVX? I'm hoping for something a little lighter than my existing 8" reflector, which I love a whole lot but I think is just a little too heavy for accurate tracking at this point. I just don't know anything about refractor scopes at all, I've never actually used one.

Long-term I'll be getting a larger mount and a new tracking cam, but for now I'd like to get a little more life out of the AVX while I get more used to the basics.

If you intend to upgrade your mount and OTA later, and just want to get some reps in right now for the practice of it, get a decent ED doublet and a field flattener. When you get your real mount, you'll have some experience and you'll have more of an idea of what you'd really want.

60mm ED FPL-53 Doublet https://www.astronomics.com/astro-tech-at60ed-60mm-f-6-fpl-53-ed-doublet.html
Field Flattener https://www.astronomics.com/astro-tech-at60ed-field-flattener.html

72mm ED FPL-53 Doublet https://www.astronomics.com/astro-tech-at72edii-refractor-ota-fpl-53-f-6.html
Field Flattener https://www.astronomics.com/astro-tech-0-8x-reducer-field-flattener-for-f-6-refractors.html

80mm ED FPL-53 Doublet https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Tel.../332/p/9895.uts
Field Flattener https://www.telescope.com/Orion-085x-Focal-Reducer-Corrector-for-ED80-f75-Refractor/p/5195.uts

Any of these wouldn't tax the AVX at all, they'd be forgiving, relatively cheap, and they'd be useful as guide scopes if you upgraded to something epic later on.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Awesome, thanks! I like the look of that 72mm, that might be something I invest in this summer.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
I did get out last night and took some shots of the Pinwheel Galaxy:

Having a good flat frame this time around reduced the glow from the edge of the frame that I saw last time, but it was still pretty prevalent. I'm pretty sure it's because of the street light that I can't do anything about. The flat frame made it somewhat less significant, though, so I was able to mask it out without losing too much detail in the galaxy this time.

Tracking wasn't great, but I was shooting straight up so I still don't know if my issues are from having too much weight on the AVX or if it's just not great at tracking near the meridian. I was able to do 1-min exposures without any trails, but 2 minutes or more was pretty bad. I think I need to experiment more to see what's really going on.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Golden-i posted:

I have the Skywatcher ProED 80 which I believe is exactly the same as the Orion linked above. I also have the field flattener. It's a great scope, not too heavy, the AVX can handle it plus camera etc. just fine. I need to use it more. I'm considering a 120mm as my next scope.

That is a great Pinwheel. It's crazy how much better flats make the final image look.

For your tracking, make sure your scope is balanced in both axes. I had an issue once where I had balanced in RA but not in dec and it was causing tracking issues. You may also want to look into PEC - that's something that's on my todo list.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

hannibal posted:

I have the Skywatcher ProED 80 which I believe is exactly the same as the Orion linked above. I also have the field flattener. It's a great scope, not too heavy, the AVX can handle it plus camera etc. just fine. I need to use it more. I'm considering a 120mm as my next scope.

That is a great Pinwheel. It's crazy how much better flats make the final image look.

For your tracking, make sure your scope is balanced in both axes. I had an issue once where I had balanced in RA but not in dec and it was causing tracking issues. You may also want to look into PEC - that's something that's on my todo list.

Thanks! The last two times I've been out, I've very carefully balanced both axes as best as I could. Last night I made sure to balance it after I mounted the camera, tracking camera, and cabling, just to be sure. I think I'll see what happens with a lighter scope on it to really see if it's a weight issue or if maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

I really like the look of the Skywatcher and the Orion, the 600mm focal length would be a great addition to fill a gap in my scope range - I've got the reflector at 1000mm and a mak-cass for planets at 2700mm, so something shorter would be a welcome addition. The Skywatcher is quite a bit pricier than the Orion - is there anything about it that would make it worth the extra ~$200+?

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Golden-i posted:

Thanks! The last two times I've been out, I've very carefully balanced both axes as best as I could. Last night I made sure to balance it after I mounted the camera, tracking camera, and cabling, just to be sure. I think I'll see what happens with a lighter scope on it to really see if it's a weight issue or if maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

I really like the look of the Skywatcher and the Orion, the 600mm focal length would be a great addition to fill a gap in my scope range - I've got the reflector at 1000mm and a mak-cass for planets at 2700mm, so something shorter would be a welcome addition. The Skywatcher is quite a bit pricier than the Orion - is there anything about it that would make it worth the extra ~$200+?

The focuser on the Sky Watcher is a good upgrade, but it still not really a premium focuser. It also comes with a diagonal, a couple of cheap eyepieces, rings, and a dovetail and an aluminum case. The Orion is a bare bones OTA, but the glass is the same. Both scopes have a good optical reputation.

I love your pinwheel shot, nice work!

edit: the fit and finish on the AT72EDII that you mentioned considering is going to be noticeably better than than either of the Synta 80mm scopes. The focuser will be noticeably better than either, a proper piece for hanging heavy camera gear.

duodenum fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 3, 2019

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Ah, I hadn't thought of that. Even if it's not a premium focuser, I should probably go for the scope with a better focuser if I'm planning on strapping a ~1lb camera to it.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Yeah, the Skywatcher focuer is a Crayford, which is just a pin pressed up against the bottom of the focus tube that works purely through friction. I had issues with strapping a camera to mine until I adjusted it to be tighter. Even then, the rack and pinion focuser on that AT72EDII should be more stable.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
I got out last night and tested some more and, unfortunately, I'm not pretty positive that it's not the tracking/alignment that's causing me issues. Pointing at M81, nowhere near the meridian, anything longer than a minute was streaking pretty badly and it was always in different directions - sometimes vertical, sometimes horizontal. So, yeah, the motors are too strained with this much weight. I'll get a smaller refractor in the meantime but I adore this reflector so much, it's just awesome at DSOs through this light pollution. Time to save up and shop for a new mount and tracking camera (since I assume that my Celestron StarSense is probably not going to work with another brand of mount).

As long as I had things set up, I took some pictures of M81:

M81 - Bode's Galaxy
90x60sec exposures, 8" reflector @1000mm
Celestron AVX, ASI294MC Pro

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Any recommendations for a star map app on iOS? I switched from Android late last year and have yet to find a suitable replacement for Sky Map (formerly by Google.) I don't mind paying for one, but it's been difficult to find one that seems worth it yet, not to mention doesn't dazzle me with a bright purple screen begging for money (looking at you, Night Sky :argh:)

I just want a plain red on black decently accurate map, like Sky Map was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
SkySafari is what I use and what nearly everyone I’ve talked with uses.

It goes on forty‐percent‐off sales extremely regularly, as in every couple of months.