Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

PokeJoe posted:

Time bomb offers are such a stupid loving idea

the art of the deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Ok. At this point I'm just gonna ask for more money and treat this like the only offer. Doesn't hurt to name my price after their initial offer at this stage, right?

Thanks for all the advice again.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Acer Pilot posted:

Ok. At this point I'm just gonna ask for more money and treat this like the only offer. Doesn't hurt to name my price after their initial offer at this stage, right?

Thanks for all the advice again.

yup, negotiate with them per normal. at will employment works both ways, don’t hesitate to write your dear john letter if the faang offer blows them out of the water.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

they're only deluding themselves and the ball is entirely in your court. do what you want

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Also please please please don't feel like you "owe" them 1 month in after they spend all this time training you but you haven't gotten any real work done. They owe you a better offer than FAANG will give you, and they haven't done that.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the flip side of the time bomb offer is companies who blow a bunch of smoke about how great you are then send a “the person we really wanted accepted an offer we had out to them” email the day before the on-site

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ShadowHawk posted:

Also please please please don't feel like you "owe" them 1 month in after they spend all this time training you but you haven't gotten any real work done. They owe you a better offer than FAANG will give you, and they haven't done that.

Tbh FAANGs are an outlier. FAANG gives a lot of money in compensation, but mostly in public stock. It's somewhat unreasonable to expect smaller companies to compete with that in raw cash. Can you get a job at a FAANG? If yes then I'd almost always recommend doing so and negotiating extremely harshly, because the rewards are absolutely life changing. If you're having a hard time doing that, then don't be afraid of taking a good offer elsewhere that is more suited to your interests. At the end of the day, we're all in an industry that pays well above average wages no matter what company you work for. Just do not tolerate cheapskate companies that really take the piss.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Facebook
Apple
Amazon

What’s NG?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

Facebook
Apple
Amazon

What’s NG?

NG deez nuts

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

NG deez nuts

Curses, :jiggled:ed again!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I gave my notice, going to do rust and didn't even have to take a pay cut for it.

$OLDJOB immediately started advertising for my replacement, at 30k more then I'm on

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Schadenboner posted:

Facebook
Apple
Amazon

What’s NG?

netflix google

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Rex-Goliath posted:

netflix google

really should be FAAMG IMO

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I say "tech major"

Oracle can seriously compete with the tech majors in total comp. I've heard of 400k offers to relatively green peeps. You would then have to work at Oracle (lol). Roughly same story with Alibaba and the top unicorns. Microsoft is proving to basically still be a tech major, probably

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

as someone who worked at oracle that must be extremely dependent on which department you work for because everyone i knew was laughably underpaid

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Rex-Goliath posted:

as someone who worked at oracle that must be extremely dependent on which department you work for because everyone i knew was laughably underpaid

Oracle Cloud seems to basically be trying to clone Amazon from comp to leadership principal interviews.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Rex-Goliath posted:

Every tech major also has a lil hobbyhorse project to try to underpay peeps. Usually contracting but also other stuff in the case of Oracle

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Private Speech posted:

really should be FAAMG IMO

There are six in the US, the G-MAFIA: Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook, IBM and Apple.
Three are in China, and they are the BAT: Baidu, Alibaba and Tencent

(cf- FTI 2019 report)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
And then calling oracle or ibm tech majors is a goddamn joke

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

why is Netflix in the FAANG list? are they really comparable to the others?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

they pay more than the others

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

They are easily the best out of all of them.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

hobbesmaster posted:

i always found their addition to the list to be a little odd too

they have a lot of money, but they mostly spend that on shows and content, not engineering

also

bob dobbs is dead posted:

And then calling oracle or ibm tech majors is a goddamn joke
ibm lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

They are easily the best out of all of them.

really? I’m vaguely familiar with the others through this forum and people I know working at them but nothing on Netflix

is their pay comparable to google? better working environment? do they have that many engineers?

Is it almost all devops stuff?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

from what I've heard netflix is known for paying well but they're also a total nutcase pressure cooker and their average tenure is under a year across the whole company

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

microsoft should be on the list yeah but agreed on lolling at including ibm or oracle. neither have them have been a desirable place to work nor have they been doing anything but coasting on inertia for the past decade at least. oracle has nothing of note and ibm had that colossal wet fart that was watson

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

really? I’m vaguely familiar with the others through this forum and people I know working at them but nothing on Netflix

is their pay comparable to google? better working environment? do they have that many engineers?

Is it almost all devops stuff?

Cuz they pay dumptrucks in cash

Average tenure short cuz they pay dumptrucks in cash and also because of the insanity

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

qirex posted:

from what I've heard netflix is known for paying well but they're also a total nutcase pressure cooker and their average tenure is under a year across the whole company

is this the same case that we heard from facebook and google when they were the fresh kids on the block? in that the numbers were skewed because they were hiring so rapidly

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Rex-Goliath posted:

is this the same case that we heard from facebook and google when they were the fresh kids on the block? in that the numbers were skewed because they were hiring so rapidly

Every growing tech company is hiring as fast as they can

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Rex-Goliath posted:

microsoft should be on the list yeah but agreed on lolling at including ibm or oracle. neither have them have been a desirable place to work nor have they been doing anything but coasting on inertia for the past decade at least. oracle has nothing of note and ibm had that colossal wet fart that was watson

oracle has been doing significant layoffs if that's "of note"

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Hughlander posted:

Oracle Cloud seems to basically be trying to clone Amazon from comp to leadership principal interviews.

interviewed there last year , they hired a number of my ex-coworkers in Seattle over a layoff I survived.

Spoke with a few older people who were with AWS from the early days, and a number of younger people who really liked their data structure questions.

Same I didn't get it because Great Mother Oracle had unzipped her purse all the way

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

It’s looking like my company is going to be acquired by one of the giants and i swear to god if it winds up being Oracle i’m going to be so pissed

granted- i’ll be pissed under a mountain of cash- but pissed nonetheless

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Rex-Goliath posted:

Netflix has been around for almost 20 years now and everything I've read about working there indicates the short tenure is because they expect you to overwork or they get rid of you (or a glossed over version of that)

at least some people who work at Amazon claim it's OK, division/department dependant but I don't think I've ever seen that kind of talk about Netflix

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Hughlander posted:

why would you ever buy a cloud of lawyers?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

oracle has nothing of note

hey now, if you work on the jvm for a couple years places that are heavily dependent on it will pay you industrial garbage bags full of money to fix/troubleshoot their poo poo and/or use your connections to get changes merged to the official jdk

but yeah, that’s about the only thing oracle has going for them. besides the scrooge mcduck swimming pools of cash from gouging people foolish enough to become dependent on oracledb anyway

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
netflix has some insanely cool tech around video processing, pipelining, and sentiment analysis among other things

their cloud tooling as a non-iaas/paas company is second to none

they also pay gobs and gobs of money

if you have the opportunity to work at netflix take it asap

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
which job titles should a moron idiot like me woth no career experience actually be applying for

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Arcsech posted:

hey now, if you work on the jvm for a couple years places that are heavily dependent on it will pay you industrial garbage bags full of money to fix/troubleshoot their poo poo and/or use your connections to get changes merged to the official jdk

but yeah, that’s about the only thing oracle has going for them. besides the scrooge mcduck swimming pools of cash from gouging people foolish enough to become dependent on oracledb anyway

and now it’s entering license hell just like everything else so everyone is fleeing for openjdk because larry never met a chicken he wouldn’t gently caress to death

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

which job titles should a moron idiot like me woth no career experience actually be applying for

all of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

cto. go big or go home