Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Eeyo posted:

Any recommendation for some flowers that would grow well on an East facing balcony? Something that won't mind only ~4-6 hours of direct sun a day.

Azaleas, maybe?

Or do you want something with a smell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Eeyo posted:

Any recommendation for some flowers that would grow well on an East facing balcony? Something that won't mind only ~4-6 hours of direct sun a day.
Is it more 4 hours or more 6 hours? 6 hours is pretty close to "full" sun and most plants outside of the absolutely sun worshiping ones will flower just fine with that much direct sun. If its more like 4, and its full shade outside of that (as opposed to dappled/filtered sunlight or reflected light) then you might struggle to get amazing blooms from more plants.

My go to flowering plant for part sun is Lobelia. Here is one of mine that gets about 3 hours of morning sun, then another 4-6 of part shade/heavily filtered light from a tree.

The magenta is so saturated that the iphone sensor seems to have a hard time with it. This was one of those 6 pack trays of little plants from a Home depot for like 4 bucks. Its like this for most of the year here in the bay area.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
loving Casuals: Oh no, I've got MINT in my garden and it's impossible to get rid of!!! :saddowns:

Me: That is not dead which may eternal life, and with strange aeons even death may die :unsmigghh:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Azaleas, maybe?

Or do you want something with a smell?

Thanks! Smell would be nice.

cheese posted:

Is it more 4 hours or more 6 hours?

I haven't timed it. Probably more like 6 in the summer with longer days. The balcony would get sun a bit after dawn since it's blocked by the other apartment building across the parking lot, so probably -1 hour. Then it gets blocked at mid-day by the balcony above, so maybe -1 hours again. After noon, the sun is above or on the other side of the apartment. So it's uninterrupted, full sun for ~half the day, but weighted entirely towards the morning.

For reference, I was able to grow chinese forget-me-nots (cynoglossum amabile) perfectly well, other than having trouble giving enough water.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Eeyo posted:

Thanks! Smell would be nice.

I haven't timed it. Probably more like 6 in the summer with longer days. The balcony would get sun a bit after dawn since it's blocked by the other apartment building across the parking lot, so probably -1 hour. Then it gets blocked at mid-day by the balcony above, so maybe -1 hours again. After noon, the sun is above or on the other side of the apartment. So it's uninterrupted, full sun for ~half the day, but weighted entirely towards the morning.

For reference, I was able to grow chinese forget-me-nots (cynoglossum amabile) perfectly well, other than having trouble giving enough water.
If you are happy with how the chinese forget-me-nots flowered, then most things will probably be fine. Stay away from sun worshiping stuff like Sunflowers and Agastache, and at worst you might get solid but not amazing blooms from some plants.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

Nice! I'm working on some vines myself. Ours were planted probably a little too late last year, early summer in NC, but they seem to be doing okay growing back in the new season. But as usual we've already forgotten what varieties we bought because of parent brain. I know we've got Muscadine, Niagara, and one other, but I don't remember which is which.

I actually drew a map of our yard to keep track of all the plants.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

cheese posted:

If you are happy with how the chinese forget-me-nots flowered, then most things will probably be fine. Stay away from sun worshiping stuff like Sunflowers and Agastache, and at worst you might get solid but not amazing blooms from some plants.

How do climbing roses and peach trees fare in partial shade/sun? I’m thinking roses might be alright in partial sun, but I’ll probably need to prune back some oak branches above my house before I can plant a peach tree.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
They both will be happier in full sun

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

In other words, I need to prune back some oak branches before I plant either one of them.

gently caress :(

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

ColdPie posted:

Yes. I have a hardcover notebook I use for quick sketches and notes. I would be lost without it.

Today, for example, I couldn't remember which of two heritage apple trees we planted last year was closest to the road. Knowing for sure that the deer were browsing the Kingston Black puts them that much closer to changing their job description to "Dinner".

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

ColdPie posted:

There are apps that do this too, just FYI.

I put together a map of my front yard in MSPaint to plot out where I want to put a bunch of azalea bushes and a couple of trees.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hubis posted:

loving Casuals: Oh no, I've got MINT in my garden and it's impossible to get rid of!!! :saddowns:

Me: That is not dead which may eternal life, and with strange aeons even death may die :unsmigghh:

I love wisteria so much and I hate wisteria so much (assuming that is is wisteria)

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

How do climbing roses and peach trees fare in partial shade/sun? I’m thinking roses might be alright in partial sun, but I’ll probably need to prune back some oak branches above my house before I can plant a peach tree.
Peach trees, like all stonefruit, worship the sun. I'm less familiar with climbing roses but I think you would just end up with fewer/not a lot of flowers.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Is this some type of barberry?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I love wisteria so much and I hate wisteria so much (assuming that is is wisteria)

A pretty beautiful Japanese (I believe) Wisteria that was twined together and trained up into kind of a tree form, but which had seemingly not been well pruned since the previous owners has it put in and so they decided to support it with a few extra nails in the fence. It became massively overgrown and got blown off the supports during a wind storm, and became a horrible bramble instead.

Anyways, I pruned it back hard hoping to retrain it last year but didn't no where to start, so I just said screw it and lopped it back to what you see here (knowing it would rebud). It was gorgeous when in good form (beautiful Cascades of purple flowers) but it's invasive as hell, a pain to maintain, and I'd basically be starting from scratch trying to retrain it into a manageable form.

So for now I'm just letting it lurk there, and I'm planning on harvesting those shoots to try and propagate them into cute little potted plants. Kind or like keeping a xenomorph as pet.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hubis posted:

A pretty beautiful Japanese (I believe) Wisteria that was twined together and trained up into kind of a tree form, but which had seemingly not been well pruned since the previous owners has it put in and so they decided to support it with a few extra nails in the fence. It became massively overgrown and got blown off the supports during a wind storm, and became a horrible bramble instead.

Anyways, I pruned it back hard hoping to retrain it last year but didn't no where to start, so I just said screw it and lopped it back to what you see here (knowing it would rebud). It was gorgeous when in good form (beautiful Cascades of purple flowers) but it's invasive as hell, a pain to maintain, and I'd basically be starting from scratch trying to retrain it into a manageable form.

So for now I'm just letting it lurk there, and I'm planning on harvesting those shoots to try and propagate them into cute little potted plants. Kind or like keeping a xenomorph as pet.
It has such a wonderful scent when it blooms too. Here it’s randomly scattered out in the woods next to chinaberry and black locust and maybe a spider lily or two as all that remains of long abandoned home sites.

I’ve never tried to propagate it, but there’s some in my yard where the vines are running along the ground and it roots itself every so often-maybe just stake it down in a few places and then cut it up in a few months?

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 29, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My family has had 3 wisteria bushes in my lifetime and not a single one has flowered. What are we doing wrong?

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Is this some type of barberry?

Looks like Japanese barberry, yes.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Winter Stormer posted:

Looks like Japanese barberry, yes.

Thank you! I couldn’t figure it out.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It has such a wonderful scent when it blooms too. Here it’s randomly scattered out in the woods next to chinaberry and black locust and maybe a spider lily or two as all that remains of long abandoned home sites.

I’ve never tried to propagate it, but there’s some in my yard where the vines are running along the ground and it roots itself every so often-maybe just stake it down in a few places and then cut it up in a few months?

It sounds like you can take any cutting with at least two sets of buds, strip the leaves off the bottom most set, dip it on rooting hormone and toss it in a moist pot for a little while.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Any fellow goons in the arctic? Anyone know of any good gardening resources for arctic gardening?

I recently bought a house with a big garden and want to start planning what to do with it. It's semi-coastal and situated in what I guess would equal hardiness zone 5a or 5b, with midnight sun in the summer. Quite a lot of lawn there, but I really prefer flowers. I think we'll convert parts of it and plant flowers and stuff for the bees and insects. Looking for ideas! I've been wanting a ginkgo tree for some time (have a tiny tiny one indoors, can't really call it a tree), but I doubt it will survive the winters or grow much here...

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

My family has had 3 wisteria bushes in my lifetime and not a single one has flowered. What are we doing wrong?
How much sun? Are you fertilizing it? Does it get pruned and if so, when?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

Well depending on the variety they take 10-15 years from sprouting to start flowering. Interestingly, propagated cutting from a mature parent will apparently flower the next year if they become established.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 1, 2019

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hubis posted:

Well depending on the variety they take 10-15 years from sprouting to start flowering. Interestingly, propagates cutting from a mature parent will apparently flower the next year if they become established.
A lot of plants are like this actually. Camellias take 5+ years to flower from seed, and probably still a year or three if you root cuttings, but if you air layer a branch or graft onto rootstock, they will flower immediately.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
gently caress morning glory.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

gently caress morning glory.

Why? I love morning glories.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

Why? I love morning glories.

Where I live it isnt pretty or fun and the idea of planting it blows my mind

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

You can eat the roots of some of them I think. They’re fairly closely related to sweet potatoes.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

they're an invasive weed if you don't live in south america. maybe there are some exceptions, but i think that's the general rule

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Fitzy Fitz posted:

they're an invasive weed if you don't live in south america. maybe there are some exceptions, but i think that's the general rule

But they look amazing. I’ve seen some loving beautiful trellis work with morning glories.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You can eat the roots of some of them I think. They’re fairly closely related to sweet potatoes.
And the seeds! :lsd:

(note: please don't do this--commercial seeds are coated with pesticide and can make you really sick)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They’re incredibly invasive, never plant that poo poo. It’s not worth loving up the environment.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

But they look amazing. I’ve seen some loving beautiful trellis work with morning glories.

:getout:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
For whatever reason, large 'trumpet' flowers like Morning Glory just don't float my boat.

I'm trying to grow some stuff from seed this year. The one in most keen on successfully raising is tithonia rotundifolia (as an annual given the UK climate). I'm hoping our summer is good enough that it goes really big (2m is possible). Touch wood the seedlings have been idiot proof so it's off to a good start so far...

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
My neverending war with bindweed rages on...

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
At some point you just have accept that all vines are terrible, choking monsters in wait and probably should be burned rather than cultivated. But I still really like passion flowers.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

there wolf posted:

At some point you just have accept that all vines are terrible, choking monsters in wait and probably should be burned rather than cultivated. But I still really like passion flowers.

You can pry the clematis from my cold, dead hand

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Hubis posted:

You can pry the clematis from my cold, dead hand

You mean pry your cold dead hands from the clematis after it eats you.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

there wolf posted:

You mean pry your cold dead hands from the clematis after it eats you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GibiNy4d4gc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

my backyard is that pyramid from The Ruins