Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
Someone has a bunch of men’s size small shirt club shirts on eBay from the last 3 seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Wanted to voice my appreciation that the following characters haven't come back: Monstroso, The Investors, Molotov, Baron Underbeit, the Baron's underlings, Captain Sunshine.

Because, holy cow, Doc and Jackson cannot stop writing characters. For the most part, they're good characters, but there are so, so many.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, all those characters feel like they've had all the juice squeezed out of them. Glad Doc and Jackson have moved on.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Am I remembering right from the art book that they admitted they just never hit the mark they were looking for with Underbheit...namely a goofy Dr. Doom send up?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Underbheit owns and his season 1 (2?) episode is not quite etthomp2 good for introducing the show but it's not far from it either. It really nails that episodic johnny quest feel.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Pershing posted:

Am I remembering right from the art book that they admitted they just never hit the mark they were looking for with Underbheit...namely a goofy Dr. Doom send up?

Yeah I think they've said as much in the commentaries I've listened to.

I still think the Underland episode is one of the best, but I guess the character can be a little one-note.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
They even acknowledged with Killinger going "great....vhat else do you do?"

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

They even acknowledged with Killinger going "great....vhat else do you do?"

Underbheit was a great example of a villain who is NOTHING WITHOUT UNTERLANDT.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Underbheit's best stuff was the college flashbacks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Victor Von Helping now oddly enough fills the 'Dr Doom stand-in' role but as a hero. Actually he also reminds me a lot of JJ; a super-scientist mostly by family obligation who's more interested in actual science and affecting the world for the better and is both only reluctantly involved in and not very familiar with the Guild's game. And also has to be talked down from going total overkill. (Surprising in retrospect it took so long for Jonas Jr to get a proper arch assigned, but I get the feeling that they were waiting a while to scope out JJ's capabilities, and then once they did they were 'whoa, okay, let's save that one for a suicide mission...')

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HOT DOLPHIN!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Dimebags Brain posted:

Underbheit's best stuff was the college flashbacks.

"It'z OREGANO!"

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The college flashbacks were the best because the boys are like holy poo poo you guys all knew each other in college? And you see Rusty and Brock look back and shrug like that’s not that surprising or shocking at all. Plus the prison scene was great when Brock regains conscious he immediately tries to blame and attack Underbeit and he has like the best retort ever: congratulations Samson, you’ve undercovered my master plan to lock myself up with my rival while being chained with an ALBINO.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I remembered the college flashbacks fondly but somehow totally scrubbed the canned audience laughter and funky soundtrack from my mind. When I got the book I did a full-series rewatch, and the only thing that convinced me they hadn't been edited in later was the fact that they are referenced in the episode guide.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I think the college flashbacks having a laugh track is really neato.

Rusty's childhood was filled with adventure; so much so that they made a show about it. It's somehow sublimely fitting that his college years, at least in flashbacks, are also a TV show, but now instead of a 60s/70s cartoon, it's an 80s sitcom.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

tarlibone posted:

Rusty's childhood was filled with adventure; so much so that they made a show about it. It's somehow sublimely fitting that his college years, at least in flashbacks, are also a TV show, but now instead of a 60s/70s cartoon, it's an 80s sitcom.
they were too smart for the room

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

tarlibone posted:

Oh I could totally see Jonas Sr. licensing a sequel to The Rusty Venture Show using hidden camera footage placed in Rusty's dorm room.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Pershing posted:

Oh I could totally see Jonas Sr. licensing a sequel to The Rusty Venture Show using hidden camera footage placed in Rusty's dorm room.
It's pretty funny if Jonas had this and the guild didn't. The Markie Post tape is real.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's pretty funny if Jonas had this and the guild didn't. The Markie Post tape is real.

Tapes of the series were aggressively traded at conventions until the Youtube era. All extant physical copies now in St. Cloud's vault. Rusty still doesn't know it happened.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Speaking of hidden camera., that was another good bit when the league has Monarch on trial and he points out that the song being played wasn’t the original one he was listening to while banging dr girlfriend. Them admitting they couldn’t get the rights it was funny, double funny it was the training montage Brock song in Season 1.

https://youtu.be/m4W56w-eCGI

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
A little late, but my theory for what Rusty did to the Monarch to get him to hate him, was that as a kid he did something colossally stupid and killed them both. Hence why Docs a clone and why Malcom had no memory of them playing as kids. The actual event wasn't cloned in the memories, but there's a latent feeling of what he did.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I hope they never explain it. While the three parter about how Jonas Sr died was really good, I kinda wish we'd never found out what happened.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I personally think the best explanation is that Monarch hates Venture just because Venture exists. We are told, and Monarch repeatedly demonstrates, that Monarch's hatred is something special, something other villains cannot even aspire to. Basing that on some random, mundane, or even major event cheapens the hate and reduces his archenemyship to a run-of-the-mill vendetta.

Monarch hates Venture just because. That works for me.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Laundry list of stuff followed by "He wasn't even the right guy, been arching him for all these years and the guy I was angry at just died without knowing how much I hated him" at a funeral for a series finale might be funny. I can't see revealing it at any other point.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Considering the 'Malcolm? What are you doing here?' 'Did he just call me loving Malcolm?' interaction I hope they end up becoming somewhat friendly and at least doing a lovely teamup in a skewed mirror of the Big Villain episode where theyre proxy rivals. The Monarch seems so close to actually getting past his hate and feeling happy that I feel like that's probably where they're taking his arc. He'll probably remain a villain but be happy in his role as an elder or whatever and not so actively involved in arching. With the Hank/Dean growth itd be good if the current generation starts to move aside for the younger ones coming up and settle into their quasi retirement. It'd be a good place to end the series on without being all hokey and try and wrap everything up because we all know they can almost never wrap poo poo up and just smash cut to the credits.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

TerminalRaptor posted:

A little late, but my theory for what Rusty did to the Monarch to get him to hate him, was that as a kid he did something colossally stupid and killed them both. Hence why Docs a clone and why Malcom had no memory of them playing as kids. The actual event wasn't cloned in the memories, but there's a latent feeling of what he did.

'I jumped off a roof one time dressed as batman. I think. Maybe I just dreamt it....'

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So friends have been hosting a venture Bros watch through and I thought I remembered the first three seasons generally, but I completely forgot this muther episode and apparently it doesn't tie into anything later. That's pretty surprising of all the obscure things they brought back that nothing from this episode came back.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hemingway To Go! posted:

So friends have been hosting a venture Bros watch through and I thought I remembered the first three seasons generally, but I completely forgot this muther episode and apparently it doesn't tie into anything later. That's pretty surprising of all the obscure things they brought back that nothing from this episode came back.

Well the shrunken guy shows up a couple times after that

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hemingway To Go! posted:

The ant-man knockoff character gets introduced there, and from that point on appears onscreen in 2 or 3 other episodes as well as just getting mentioned in several others. The whole escapade gets mentioned several times later and i think another episode the same season has characters mention that an area of the compound smells like a spilled septic tank.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TK-42-1 posted:

Considering the 'Malcolm? What are you doing here?' 'Did he just call me loving Malcolm?' interaction I hope they end up becoming somewhat friendly and at least doing a lovely teamup in a skewed mirror of the Big Villain episode where theyre proxy rivals.

It seemed like the kind of thing that would never come up again

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I feel like this was one of the first to really show what a bad person Venture Sr. actually was (to people other than his son).

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Hemingway To Go! posted:

That also has one of my favorite gags in the entire show: The Firestarter.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

There is a theory that MOTHER was made using the Monarch's mom.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

That also has one of my favorite gags in the entire show: The Firestarter.

I’m trapped in here with a serial arsonist!

I love the explanation that they had VH1 in addition to the hygiene punchcards.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I don't have a lot to back this up, but I always thought the God Gas / Mind Control Gas was basically the same thing that Muther pumped through the vents into Jonas's underground society that made Team Venture freak out. I base that solely off of it being an archived Venture Industries product, and Action Man's line about Billy ("Looks like this one can't handle his God Gas!") made it seem like he had encountered it before.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Speaking of wild theories, I don't know if it was this thread or somewhere else, but someone once suggested that Hank's weird cultural reference points that Dean doesn't seem to share is the result of Hank's bed also getting VH1 Classics in addition to the learning bed lessons. Which is why he thinks the Michael Jackson Bad outfit is the perfect thing to wear on a first date to seem cool while seemingly not knowing that it is the outfit from the Bad video.

I don't think that was an intentional thing, but it is a fun explanation. The truth is that he's channeling dead crazy people.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I don't think that was an intentional thing, but it is a fun explanation. The truth is that he's channeling dead crazy people.

Do you think it's a cry for help?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mr. Nice! posted:

VH1 Classics. And I liked how on the commentary they admit they ran out of 80s musicians and just made everyone random people from the Wild Boys video.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funny thing, Myra is probably actually one of the most dangerous regular enemies of the Venture family, for a crazy delusional middle aged lady she's someone that even Brock dreads having to deal with, and still has enough skill and charisma to be a massive threat. I mean hell, she basically took over the equivalent of Arkham Asylum from within by forming a cult out of the majority of patients and staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I just watched the last season and a bit of Metalocaylypse and I was looking at the wiki looking at the guest stars apparently James Urbanik was in at least one episode. I don't remember that at all.