Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

drat there's a lot of people with anime avatars who want to make sure I know they won't be watching the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Oh wow, a cassowary?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I quite like the style of the trailer. I’ve learnt my lesson about judging shows by their trailers, especially comedies which often just take the wackiest stuff from the season and can make the show look unbearable. I mean, the season one BoJack trailer made it seem like it was another genetic ranty comedian show, so I’m going into this one without judging.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Dozens of big titty orcs in the comments saying this show needs more subtlety.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

SEX BURRITO posted:

I quite like the style of the trailer. I’ve learnt my lesson about judging shows by their trailers, especially comedies which often just take the wackiest stuff from the season and can make the show look unbearable. I mean, the season one BoJack trailer made it seem like it was another genetic ranty comedian show, so I’m going into this one without judging.

Yeah. I’d argue this comes across better than the initial BoJack trailer, too. Not to keep comparing the shows, but some of BoJack’s best stuff is centered around gender and feminism, so I’m digging this.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SEX BURRITO posted:

And what's the deal with the double helix??? Get a room you two!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
This right here is what I want from Hollywood.

https://twitter.com/RaphaelBW/status/1113472498006261760

(Don't know if that's the actual guy. Don't care.)

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

i am the bird posted:

Yeah. I’d argue this comes across better than the initial BoJack trailer, too. Not to keep comparing the shows, but some of BoJack’s best stuff is centered around gender and feminism, so I’m digging this.

One of my favourite line deliveries is PC.

“I can’t believe America hates women more than it loves guns.”
“No?”

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

SEX BURRITO posted:

After Bojack, I've learned to stop judging shows by their first several episodes.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
https://twitter.com/seewhatsnext/status/1123679298605461505

i have no idea how to embed twitter, im so sorry if this doesnt work

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ok I super love that animation.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You watch like 30 seconds of Tuca & Bertie and it seems insane that someone was ripping on it for similar animation style to Bojack. It's such manic animation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

People have trouble differentiating character designs and animation style.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

People have trouble differentiating character designs and animation style.

Well to be fair they usually go hand in hand.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tuca and Bertie is REALLY good, go watch it ASAP.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Megera posted:

https://twitter.com/seewhatsnext/status/1123679298605461505

i have no idea how to embed twitter, im so sorry if this doesnt work

That building had titties.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do wonder if there's some thematic connection given this is a show starring mostly birds, who tend to be stereotyped as energetic and hyperactive (because, let's be fair, they are in real life) while Bojack Horseman stars mostly mammals.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was happy for the animators because this show seemed cool but I’d slept on the voice cast, Tiffany Haddish and Ali Wong! Hachi Machi!

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Tuca and Bertie owned.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bertie and Speckle are Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter except they live in a universe where people are allowed to have positive emotional growth and be happy. Just throwing that out there.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I had to search on Netflix for T&B, as it was somehow not a front page recommendation. I hate you, Netflix.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My biggest issue with Netflix is that there is no way to let it just idle without playing noisy trailers at you all the time (seriously, no mute option? Anywhere?) But yeah that sucks too.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
For some reason even though I've watched Bojack, like, three times in its entirety and always watch new seasons within a few days of release, Netflix didn't think I would like Tuca & Bertie enough to put it in the New section or Recommended For You section.

I did find it by scrolling down a bit but come on, Netflix, why didn't you throw that poo poo front and center?

I'd say it's because I'm male and Netflix's algorithm assumes I don't like female-focused shows or something but like they also have the data that I binged Russian Doll in a day and watched the entirety of Jessica Jones and UKS as soon as they dropped those so I don't even know.

Also, I just realized that most of my favorite Netflix shows are written by women, so that's pretty cool!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

asecondduck posted:

For some reason even though I've watched Bojack, like, three times in its entirety and always watch new seasons within a few days of release, Netflix didn't think I would like Tuca & Bertie enough to put it in the New section or Recommended For You section.

I did find it by scrolling down a bit but come on, Netflix, why didn't you throw that poo poo front and center?

I'd say it's because I'm male and Netflix's algorithm assumes I don't like female-focused shows or something but like they also have the data that I binged Russian Doll in a day and watched the entirety of Jessica Jones and UKS as soon as they dropped those so I don't even know.

Also, I just realized that most of my favorite Netflix shows are written by women, so that's pretty cool!

It did the same thing on my wife's account too :shrug: I really have no idea.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

asecondduck posted:

Also, I just realized that most of my favorite Netflix shows are written my women, so that's pretty cool!

No, I'm female and love Bojack Horseman and a bunch of other animated shows on Netflix but it didn't show up for me either (I had to search after hearing through word of mouth that it had gone up).

From what I've heard it isn't showing up in the New or Featured sections for anybody.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I couldn't even find it in the "recent releases" section, had to actually type it in to get it to show up.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
First episode of Tucha and Bertie is spectacular and I'm guessing I'll burn through this whole season in my free time today.

Takoluka posted:

I had to search on Netflix for T&B, as it was somehow not a front page recommendation. I hate you, Netflix.

Unfortunately it's debuting up against another Netflix show that came out yesterday, plus Netflix still wants to constantly remind you it has the streaming rights to Infinity War.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It showed up in my recommendations, and the first episode is spectacular. Has so much dynamic animation, characters stretching around and squashing, the medium being used to turn every gag into a visual gag - on a craft front, it's just superb. Also really funny and surreal, without losing its emotional stakes. I think my favourite scene was where they go and check out the plant lady's apartment. It's just so utterly weird and seems like it's screaming out Hanawalt's ideas as a creator.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I'm 3 eps in now... as much as it's a tonally different show from Bojack it definitely took some good cues from it in terms of exploring its characters' vulnerabilities.

Also I hope the two shows share a universe because I want a Tuca and Todd teamup episode right now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There are post-credits stingers, so don't let it auto-skip credits fyi

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
After watching the first episode of Tuca & Bertie, I gotta say that its a nice breathe of fresh air compared to Bojack, with the nonchalant swearing and references to hooking up.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Bertie is so relatable it's painful.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Bertie and Speckle are Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter except they live in a universe where people are allowed to have positive emotional growth and be happy. Just throwing that out there.

I'm really not seeing it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh hey there's 160 new posts in the Bojack thread, did some info about the next season come out? Did someone leave the show?

Ah...oh. :squawk:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lurdiak posted:

I'm really not seeing it.

have you finished the whole season?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Incredible show. Definitely gets going quicker than BoJack and its emotional beats are just as good, if not better in places.

Love the music and the weird frenetic energy to the whole thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

have you finished the whole season?

Yeah, and I know there's some moments that parallel Diane and Mr Peanutbutter's relationship, but I don't think they're fundamentally similar characters. Bertie doesn't want to change the world like Diane does, she has neither the self-destructive or confrontational aspects of Diane's personality, and Speckle is pretty much nothing like Mr. Peanutbutter.

It's easier to be happy when you don't have a Bojack in your life, at any rate.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 5, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, and I know there's some moments that parallel Diane and Mr Peanutbutter's relationship, but I don't think they're fundamentally similar characters. Bertie doesn't want to change the world like Diane does, she has neither the self-destructive or confrontational aspects of Diane's personality, and Speckle is pretty much nothing like Mr. Peanutbutter.

It's easier to be happy when you don't have a Bojack in your life, at any rate.

I guess the main connection I was seeing was how Bertie and Diane both ran away from their relationships and how each show dealt with that. Also, I see a lot of Mr. Peanutbutter's goofiness in Speckle, he's just also a loooooot more self aware.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like how they took the same almost-consistent worldbuilding foundation of Bojack and decided that the way to go was to make less sense rather than more, and just own it.

Also really indeterminate setting time-wise, like there's typewriters and first-gen iPods and flip phones alongside modern tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/lisadraws/status/1124421458623492096