Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Inspired by all the talk of people, factions and schemes - how do people feel about Isaac? Or perhaps, what do lore buffs think of the Anarchs?

The dominant Anarch flavor in Bloodlines is the super Lefty Anarchs of Nines and his crew screaming about communism working for vampires. Then you met Isaac who is also an Anarch but strikes me as having no political affiliation beyond "I don't like the Camarilla and how they do things." His sole aim is independence as opposed to actual like, having a set political agenda that independence is just a road to a la Nines' crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

Inspired by all the talk of people, factions and schemes - how do people feel about Isaac? Or perhaps, what do lore buffs think of the Anarchs?

The dominant Anarch flavor in Bloodlines is the super Lefty Anarchs of Nines and his crew screaming about communism working for vampires. Then you met Isaac who is also an Anarch but strikes me as having no political affiliation beyond "I don't like the Camarilla and how they do things." His sole aim is independence as opposed to actual like, having a set political agenda that independence is just a road to a la Nines' crew.

It's not that uncommon for Anarchs to not have an ideology beyond "I don't like the Camarilla." Lots of Gangrel fall in with the Anarchs for that reason since a lot of them just want to be left alone. And some Anarchs are Anarchs because they have a shot at power they wouldn't in the Ivory Tower.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Dawgstar posted:

Also werewolves fight in packs.

Well sure, but I'm just saying that in VtMB when your endgame dude was being menaced by one (1) werewolf you should've had the option to just kill its rear end. It couldn't have been any harder to dps down than Ming Xiao!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

It's not that uncommon for Anarchs to not have an ideology beyond "I don't like the Camarilla." Lots of Gangrel fall in with the Anarchs for that reason since a lot of them just want to be left alone. And some Anarchs are Anarchs because they have a shot at power they wouldn't in the Ivory Tower.

Makes sense. I might have to look more into the Anarchs during my future researches.

But now I had a new thought, this time about Bloodlines 2.

Our PC is a Thin Blood. That means they are not a part of any Clan. However they will have to be turned into a full vampire and become part of a Clan during the game.

As was discussed in the last page, Vampire Society is a den of vipers and schemers. Probably the only reason a Fledgling can survive is the favoritism of Clan membership. You at least have some people who are nominally on your side.

I can't imagine this protection or fondness will extend to a person who forces their way into a Clan via the heinous and evil act of Diablerie. If anything, your new Clan will just resent you more than everyone else.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Isaac is weird. All of the other older vampires in the game gave me pause and made me think "is this guy powerful enough to - video game mechanics not withstanding - absolutely kick my rear end?" Isaac didn't. He just came off as an older guy who was in show biz. He didn't feel threatening and he didn't have to really go out of his way to bribe me. He was just a charming character I was glad to help out because it meant I'd get to see them more. Incredibly effective usage of a Toreador character.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TTBF posted:

Isaac is weird. All of the other older vampires in the game gave me pause and made me think "is this guy powerful enough to - video game mechanics not withstanding - absolutely kick my rear end?" Isaac didn't. He just came off as an older guy who was in show biz. He didn't feel threatening and he didn't have to really go out of his way to bribe me. He was just a charming character I was glad to help out because it meant I'd get to see them more. Incredibly effective usage of a Toreador character.

He was a Toreador? He's nothing like VV and my general impression of them.

I guess he was a filmmaker but...I dunno. Toreadors strike me as the "I am an Artiste!" type. He was blunt and gruff. Not unlikable or anything but very heavy-handed. (remember he has a lackey demand you come visit him when you first arrive in Hollywood. Even Lacroix didn't do that)

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

I guess he was a filmmaker but...I dunno. Toreadors strike me as the "I am an Artiste!" type. He was blunt and gruff. Not unlikable or anything but very heavy-handed. (remember he has a lackey demand you come visit him when you first arrive in Hollywood. Even Lacroix didn't do that)

Issac is described ingame as a studio exec type that works from the shadows. He's a lot more "honest" in his interactions with your player character and doesn't have an overarching agenda beyond wanting to be left alone to do his own thing.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Ferrinus posted:

Well sure, but I'm just saying that in VtMB when your endgame dude was being menaced by one (1) werewolf you should've had the option to just kill its rear end. It couldn't have been any harder to dps down than Ming Xiao!

You can kill the observatory werewolf though by trapping it and crushing it with those big doors. But yeah, having an option to somehow beat it down somehow would have been a nice option

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

His reason for turning Ash was that he couldn't bear to watch another brilliant young actor die prematurely. The artistic preoccupation was definitely there.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Robert Evans would make a drat fine vampire. Someone turn him while there's still time.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Ron Perlman would be an absolutely fantastic Toreador. They aren't are effete.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

(remember he has a lackey demand you come visit him when you first arrive in Hollywood. Even Lacroix didn't do that)

Debateable, considering the circumstances under which you first meet LaCroix.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I think, mostly, characters who are a certain type of vampire should all sort of be the same trope but wear different color clothes to differentiate.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I always thought Isaac looked like a slightly uglier Jeremy Irons.

Captain Monkey posted:

It has happened. A lot. That's what The Inquisition was. That's what the NSA invading Schrecknet was. That's why the Society of Leopold exists.

I'm not sure why you think vampires are very good at this hunters are a straight up well documented thing that you deal with in the game and are talked about in the books.

That's very different from 'vampires exist and there's an awful lot of them" becoming common knowledge, which is what ought to happen due to basic randomness over a long period of time. There's an entire society of immortals, the majority of them needing to assault people in a characteristic manner every couple of nights, and they also regularly fight for dominance using superpowers.

It's something you gotta accept as a setting conceit but there's no way to have it be believable without going straight up into "the conspiracy's mind control is so bullshit that humanity will always forget".

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

YaketySass posted:

You get examples of precisely that in Bloodlines: the guy in Hollywood who wants to write about vampires after some Thin-Blood fed him the details (by presenting them as his own original ideas, apparently), and people calling the Deb of Night to tell her about vampires.

In the first case, your PC either kills or intimidates the writer and the Thin-Blood into shutting up, and that's only because you're one out of two people aware of the situation - the Camarilla likely would have killed without hesitation.

In the second case, Deb expresses the skepticism you'd expect from someone who keeps getting calls about the Beta-Centaurian conspiracy or other ridiculous poo poo - it all gets lost in the noise. Deb herself might be a Masquerade asset, of course.

I'm pretty sure Deb is a vampire. Given that her show is specifically only at night, and also the only theory the crazy guy presents that she actually shoots down is the vampire one (she humours all his other conspiracy theories).

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It's more likely she's a ghoul but the image of Deb as a Nosferatu is pretty amusing.

Of course, there's also people who thinks not every character needs to be connected to the supernatural and she's more interesting as a mundane human obliviously doing her job, but that's kind of a fool's hope in the oWoD.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

YaketySass posted:

It's more likely she's a ghoul but the image of Deb as a Nosferatu is pretty amusing.

Of course, there's also people who thinks not every character needs to be connected to the supernatural and she's more interesting as a mundane human obliviously doing her job, but that's kind of a fool's hope in the oWoD.

Yeah my thinking here is basically "it's lightly implied that it's true, so by narrative logic it is true".

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

jizzy sillage posted:

Does anyone have links to a spectacularly good play by post or otherwise written-up playthrough of Vampire, Mage, or Werewolf? Preferably nWoD because I know nothing about oWoD?

Probably the most famous actual plays of nWoD are DaveB's Mage ones, which resulted in him becoming the lead developer for Mage.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/...-links-for-mage

The second post on here has links to Broken Diamond and Soul Cage, his two competed ones. They're very good and really helped me get Mage.

He started another one called The Man Comes Around but it was never finished since he got too busy as a developer.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’m going to play this game as Eugene V Deb of Night

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Boogle posted:

Issac is described ingame as a studio exec type that works from the shadows. He's a lot more "honest" in his interactions with your player character and doesn't have an overarching agenda beyond wanting to be left alone to do his own thing.

In table top terms, Issac is probably one of those guys with a lot of Contacts and Allies so he can bring a lot of stuff to bear on somebody. Even worse, since all those people are human it could be during the day. Game-wise, being a Toreador who has been around a while and all things being equal probably has decent Presence and Celerity so he can make it you don't want to hit him long enough for him to super-speed away. (Over)Thinking about it, he's also more than like got Auspex so he can hear somebody coming a good ways out.

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
After reading through some of the Hunter - The Vigil book, I noticed it could also make for an interesting action-horror video game with a Monomyth / Fish out of water story line. Get on it, Paradox.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

El_Elegante posted:

I’m going to play this game as Eugene V Deb of Night

'Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all undead beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a ghoul class, I am in it, and while there is an Anarch element I am of it, and while there is a soul in blood bond, I am not free.'

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I mean one of the factions in nVamp are the Carthians who really are just straight up vampire communists.

Before you nod and go "they're the good guys then," ask yourself if humans are gonna be fellow proletariat, of if they're the means of production.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Communism seems like a meaningless concept for creatures that don't actually produce anything.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

UrbicaMortis posted:

Probably the most famous actual plays of nWoD are DaveB's Mage ones, which resulted in him becoming the lead developer for Mage.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/...-links-for-mage

The second post on here has links to Broken Diamond and Soul Cage, his two competed ones. They're very good and really helped me get Mage.

He started another one called The Man Comes Around but it was never finished since he got too busy as a developer.

Thanks very much, I'll check these out :)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Communism seems like a meaningless concept for creatures that don't actually produce anything.
Communism isn't about producing things, it's about who owns the machines that produce things and grants access to those things. It doesn't take a genius to see why that might vibe with vamps

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Basic Chunnel posted:

Communism isn't about producing things, it's about who owns the machines that produce things and grants access to those things. It doesn't take a genius to see why that might vibe with vamps

In this case, it would be about who owns the right to hunt human beings in such and such part of the city, which would be determined by the party in-crowd instead of a single autocrat. Maybe a bit of petitioning for access to suborned city officials.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

ProfessorCirno posted:

To reiterate what I said before, oWolf is explicitly about being eco-fascists who want to commit mass genocide on humanity and fight against the EVIL CORPORATION except the evil includes vaccines and flouridated water, and also your mission is doomed before it started.

So.

There's that.

I will certainly grant you that my experience was colored by a Storyteller who was cool and kept us doing cool things like killing Pentex scientists for testing mutagens on people instead of killing humans for existing or raging against modern sanitation or something.

RPGs are like that a lot. You don't realize how bad they are in concept or execution because your cool GM writes good stories and glosses over bad mechanics.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Basic Chunnel posted:

Hammer and scythe, lots of red...

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

SuperKlaus posted:

I will certainly grant you that my experience was colored by a Storyteller who was cool and kept us doing cool things like killing Pentex scientists for testing mutagens on people instead of killing humans for existing or raging against modern sanitation or something.

RPGs are like that a lot. You don't realize how bad they are in concept or execution because your cool GM writes good stories and glosses over bad mechanics.

They're ALL like that. There's no lovely RPG that can't be redeemed by a good GM and players. There's no quality RPG that can't be ruined by bad ones.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

jng2058 posted:

They're ALL like that. There's no lovely RPG that can't be redeemed by a good GM and players. There's no quality RPG that can't be ruined by bad ones.

I feel like no matter how good your GM and players are FATAL can't be redeemed. But then I guess that's one of those things where the preconditions "good GM and players" exclude the possibility of even playing FATAL in the first place.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.pcgamer.com/every-detail-from-our-first-look-at-vampire-the-masqueradebloodlines-2/

quote:

After the fight, we encounter a man who turns out to be a fellow thin-blood created in the Mass Embrace. We don’t get much time to compare notes, however, as he is immediately killed from behind by another vampire who whispers “You’re not on my list” to us before vanishing. One of the side-quests in Bloodlines 2 involves looking for the remaining vampires created in the Mass Embrace—known as the “Unsanctioned Seven”.

Schlütter notes this quest will explore, “What happens to a completely normal human, with all their wants and needs and life situations, when they suddenly get turned into a vampire.

I suspect much, if not all, of this is recounting the trailer but I didn't wath the trailer and don't care to. Easier to read this.

Still, judging by that quest name...the "Mass Embrace" consisted of a paltry seven people being turned? I was picturing, like, dozens of people being changed at least.

EDIT:

quote:

Hardsuit Labs want players to explore Bloodlines organically. This extends beyond how players find quests, to how they solve them. In the early game, your choice of character background will impact upon your experience. If you choose Police Officer, for example, then should you need to visit the police station, you don’t have to find a back entrance and sneak around, you can just walk through the front. But even this comes with complications. “Your colleague will come and say ‘Hey where have you been the last two weeks? Social security has covered for you, but you need to get back to work’,” Schlütter says.

This is pretty awesome. Backgrounds are great for RP'ing but having a solid effect on gameplay and story is welcome.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 2, 2019

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe there were more and they didn't make it or already dead from the fire? The "unsanctioned seven" are the remaining ones still on the loose.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/every-detail-from-our-first-look-at-vampire-the-masqueradebloodlines-2/

I suspect much, if not all, of this is recounting the trailer but I didn't wath the trailer and don't care to. Easier to read this.

Still, judging by that quest name...the "Mass Embrace" consisted of a paltry seven people being turned? I was picturing, like, dozens of people being changed at least.

Well that's a lot for vampires. I mean bear in mind that in the Bloodlines, JUST YOU being embraced without permission from the Prince is enough to get your sire executed.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

The clean-up crew exemplifies the weirdness Mitsoda and Hardsuit are hoping to carry over from Bloodlines to the sequel. The organisation is run by a man named Bart, who has seen every kind of horror imaginable and is completely numb to it. An early quest involves clearing the mess left behind after a disastrous romantic entanglement between a vampire and a human. “If someone exploded in a small hotel room, that’s what that would look like,” Schlütter explains. “You’re there to just pick up the pieces. Literally, the pieces. And Bart just comments on whatever is there, eating his noodle-soup.”

Paging Viscera Clean-up Detail. We have a new tie-in level for you.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
The new prince of Seattle is named Prince Cross. :allears:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Sion posted:

The new prince of Seattle is named Prince Cross. :allears:

Is the local Anarch representative named Tens?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Hardsuit Labs want players to explore Bloodlines organically. This extends beyond how players find quests, to how they solve them. In the early game, your choice of character background will impact upon your experience. If you choose Police Officer, for example, then should you need to visit the police station, you don’t have to find a back entrance and sneak around, you can just walk through the front. But even this comes with complications. “Your colleague will come and say ‘Hey where have you been the last two weeks? Social security has covered for you, but you need to get back to work’,” Schlütter says

Now i’m imagining vampire cop the game,cleaning the streets (by making a very messy mess)

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

oh cool so you can play as forever knight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Samuel Clemens posted:

The ghouls are the workers who need to rise up and overthrow the vampire elite!

So they they can uhhh become the next vampire ruling elite.