Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

malbogio posted:

Grab a stick, start screaming, and focus on not being grabbed while trying to hit them in sensitive areas if they get close.

We can’t run while they have a hostage but if we rush them they’ll just grab us and flee before our allies arrive. All we can do is stall for time and be as annoying as possible to make it harder for them to think rationally.

This sounds like a good plan. Buy some time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The Lone Badger posted:

Which we really shouldn't be able to sense, but there's something up with us
we're a protagonist

Why do you think you shouldn't be able to sense death madra? You can sense wind and light madra as well as the kinds you use.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Sensing it at all isn't the weird bit, it's the fact that we're apparently smelling it instead of hearing it, while we've been led to believe that we sense all madra by hearing it.

So it's either not actually Death madra, or we're smelling madra.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

chin up everything sucks posted:

Also changed my vote to tackling the polecat.

The young man from the marbled polecat tribe’s approach is eerily silent. You can’t hear his footsteps or his clothes rustling. The only sound from him or his spirit companion is his taunting voice: “Wait right there for me to snatch you, little bear. We wouldn’t want anything to happen to your spirit companion.”

He probably thinks he’s acting menacing but his voice cracks in the middle of his taunt, ruining the effect. He’s not nearly as scary as Elder Minaro, and it infuriates you that he thinks he can intimidate you. You look around for a stick to hit him with. It is so dark you can’t spot any. Fortunately, you’ve spent many months learning how to fight unarmed. You rush towards him. Unable to believe what he’s seeing, he freezes for just a moment, but a moment is all you need to tackle his spirit companion. Even though the marbled polecat is older than the bear cubs, you are used to training against, it’s still smaller, and even your slight weight is more than enough to hammer it flat against the ground. It squeals loudly, and the man hisses in pain. “Ancestors, drat it! Stop doing that. It hurts.”

The marbled polecat you’ve “trapped” is smaller than your usual opponents, but it is also much, much more flexible. It twists furiously and sinks its teeth into your right wrist. It hurts. It hurts worse than any of the times Chuno punched you. It hurts worse than when Decavo split your forehead open. It doesn’t just hurt, it burns. It burns, but you don’t let go. Instead, you grab the back of its head and pound it against the ground. Once. Twice.

“I said! Stop that!” The man kicks you in the gut, lifting you off the ground and sending you flying through the air again. Your back slams into a tree trunk. You bounce off it and hit the ground. You taste something metallic in your mouth and cough wetly. The scent of blood fills your nostrils for the second time tonight. Only now it’s yours. You struggle back to your feet with the aid of the tree you hit. Your right wrist burns painfully where the marbled polecat bit you. The pain gets worse with every breath. Wotjeo growls furiously but held by the scruff of his neck as he is, there’s nothing he can do to help.

You can hear Papa and Arely charging down the slope. Are they close enough to help? It doesn’t sound like it. The marbled polecat writhes onto its feet and stalks towards you beside its human. In the dark you can’t make out any details; it looks like you didn’t hurt them at all. They feel invincible. With a sinking feeling, you realize there’s no way Papa is going to get to you before they do. Why did you run out and expose yourself like this? Oh right, you were angry. You’re still angry. You brace yourself to attack again as soon as they get close. You might not be able to stop them, but you’re sure going to try to hurt them.

You feel something land on your head, feather light. For a moment you think it’s a leaf until you remember it is the middle of winter and all the trees lost their leaves a long time ago. Is this some new attack? Panic wells up in you, and you want to flail wildly at whatever is on your head, but you fight it down. You can’t risk taking your eyes off them. You shake your head, trying to dislodge the thing on your head. You stop when it whispers exasperatedly to you: “This is Azuria. Rica sent me ahead. Close your eyes.” Azuria is Mama’s spirit companion. She can talk too?! “Quickly! Did all that disgusting meat you eat rot your brain? Close your eyes!”

You pull yourself together and squeeze your eyes shut. A riot of light madra pouring off Azuria from her perch on top of your braids roars in your ears. You can see a burst of light so bright it’s almost blinding even through your closed eyelids. You hear your attacker shout in pain followed by a thump. The light dims to the point where it’s no longer shining through your eyelids. Impatiently, you take a peek.

Spots dance before your eyes and the area is only as bright as the fire in the caves now instead of the blinding brilliance of a second ago. You see one of Mama’s stone daggers sticking out of the back of the hand your attacker had been holding Wotjeo with. The stone dagger is lined with a light glowing with the same color that sparkles off Azuria’s crystal wings usually.

Wotjeo is struggling back to his feet. The young man must have dropped him when Mama hit his hand. “Ancestors!” Your attacker curses and then his shadow stretched out behind him, wraps around him and his spirit companion. You blink, and they’re gone. A bolt of light streaks through where they were a second later. At its heart, you can see another of Mama’s stone daggers. You look around hurriedly, and you spot the glow of Mama’s first stone dagger still stuck in the back of his hand as he runs away.

Papa rushes past you in a dark blur. “Protect her, Rica!” You hear him crash through the forest chasing after the escaping Marbled Polecats, human and spirit companion both. You’re still furious about the attack. You try to stagger after him but when the wrist the Marbled Polecat bit brushes against a bush withered by the winter cold, pain shoots through you, and you collapse to your knees.

“Sister?” Wotjeo sounds concerned, and he hurries over to you. You try to push yourself back to your feet but as soon as you put any pressure on your injured wrist pain it gives out, and you topple onto that side. “Sister!” Wotjeo is shouting. You mumble “Got to make him pay. Got to stand up.” That’s when Mama arrives.

She scoops you up in her slender, elegant arms. Her presence makes you feel safe, and you suddenly start crying. “Shhh. Shhh. My brave little growllita. Everything is okay. I’ve got you. Your safe now.” Your emotions are a confused mess, but you’re sure of one thing. You’re angry that you’re crying and that just makes you cry harder. Mama rocks you in her arms. , and the pain drags a scream from you. Mama holds your wrist gently but firmly as she holds it up to the light still coming from Azuria. Her breath catches. “Death madra” she hisses. “Don’t worry about a thing growllita. The healers will be able to take care of this. Don’t worry. Everything will be all right.” Although her voice is supposed to be reassuring, you think she’s trying to convince herself as much as you.

Mama carries you back to the cave and washes your wounds with warm water by the fire. She’s smearing some sort of green paste over your injuries when Papa returns. He grumbles: “They escaped. If I see that little punk at the festival, I’ll crush his skull for him.” You think you know where you got your temper from…

Mama pulls him towards the cave mouth and whispers. You don’t think you’re supposed to be able to hear them, but you haven’t been spending much time with either of them, and they’re not used to how good your hearing is now yet so you can hear every word. Mama sounds worried: “I’m no healer, but her wrist looks bad. There are needles of death madra sticking out of it, and they’re not fading.“

This seems like a good place to put a break in :devil:

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
that man just bought himself a lifetime of punches and kicks to the face and groin

good that we had a moment of reflection there, first thing we should do when we get it together is apologize to the parents

BHB fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 28, 2019

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

We're going to lose a hand and have to compensate with a new hand made of metal that we'll manipulate mentally once we get older. Like a proper wuxia protagonist, any wound is only meant to make us more badass when we're older.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Can we smell the needles?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Infinity Gaia posted:

We're going to lose a hand and have to compensate with a new hand made of metal that we'll manipulate mentally once we get older. Like a proper wuxia protagonist, any wound is only meant to make us more badass when we're older.

Or we'll become a one-armed pugilist and learn to pummel people with our arm on one side and our sleeve on the other side , like Yang Guo of Return of the Condor Heroes .

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Can we smell the needles?

Well, your wrist is bleeding. You can smell blood. It smells fresh and metallic not old and rotting like in your dream.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Can Wotjeo tell us anything about the needles? He's connected to us and might be able to use his madra senses to get a better look at it than mom, even though she has more experience with death madra.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Or we'll become a one-armed pugilist and learn to pummel people with our arm on one side and our sleeve on the other side , like Yang Guo of Return of the Condor Heroes .

or reverse the needles so we have a spiked punch made of death

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Can we cultivate the nails away?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

Can we cultivate the nails away?

We'll have to not die first. Since that is a thing we are about to do.

But if we manage that, then incorporating Death madra into ourselves is likely to have odd effects.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Obviously we should gnaw the limb off to save ourselves, and gain death madra as a result of the self-cannibalism.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Our madra is harvested through our connection to our brother, I don’t see how we could manage to take in this death madra.

I’d rather have Mama’s light madra anyway, that poo poo was badass.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Silynt posted:

Our madra is harvested through our connection to our brother, I don’t see how we could manage to take in this death madra.

chin up everything sucks posted:

Obviously we should gnaw the limb off to save ourselves, and gain death madra as a result of the self-cannibalism.

Oh, of course, the one permutation we didn't ask papa about was what happens if Wotjeo eats US.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

LLSix posted:

“Quickly! Did all that disgusting meat you eat rot your brain? Close your eyes!”

Told you guys we should have gone vegetarian.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

CourValant posted:

Told you guys we should have gone vegetarian.

I'm not giving up meat just for a butterfly, even if it IS a cool magic one.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just gotta find one of those carnivorous caterpillars for our second spirit animal, because it's always fun to have spirit animals bickering.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If we can talk to our Mom's spirit companion, maybe we can get her to tell everyone we can already talk to Wotjeo.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I did not see mom being a complete badass, but goddamn, lady!

Tell me about your loving daggers instead of combing my hair and I'll begin to give a poo poo about spending time with you...

(Also, spend time with mom and bring our pal, so we can learn to gather poo poo for his potion-brewing grandfather)

JT Jag posted:

If we can talk to our Mom's spirit companion, maybe we can get her to tell everyone we can already talk to Wotjeo.

I loved how it lost patience with us pretty immediately.

We were just told, "What're ya, retarded?" by a butterfly.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I did not see mom being a complete badass, but goddamn, lady!

Tell me about your loving daggers instead of combing my hair and I'll begin to give a poo poo about spending time with you...

Are we ever going to realize that power doesn't come just from fists and muscles?

No. The answer is no, I get it, not around these parts anyways.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CourValant posted:

Are we ever going to realize that power doesn't come just from fists and muscles?

Power flows only from the barrel of a fist.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

The Lone Badger posted:

Power flows only from the barrel of a fist.

"I don't care if its our butterfly or our Mother's butterfly; if it saves our lives then its a good butterfly." :colbert:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I had the next update mostly written up in google docs but it kind of looks like it get replaced by the previous post. Hopefully at least part of it is still on my other computer somewhere. It was pretty long :(

CourValant posted:

Keep voting for what you want and the RNG might come up butterfly.

That's one of the reasons I wanted votes to be random instead of a straight majority for this game. I wanted to avoid falling into the trap of unbreakable voting blocks shouting down cool ideas I've seen other games fall into.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

LLSix posted:

It was pretty long :(

That sucks, hopefully you didn't lose everything.

LLSix posted:

Keep voting for what you want and the RNG might come up butterfly.

Thanks for the encouragement! :wave:

LLSix posted:

I wanted to avoid falling into the trap of unbreakable voting blocks shouting down cool ideas I've seen other games fall into.

Agreed; liked your RNG selection process since the beginning!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

LLSix posted:

I had the next update mostly written up in google docs but it kind of looks like it get replaced by the previous post. Hopefully at least part of it is still on my other computer somewhere. It was pretty long :(

Google docs have revision history! :eng101:

Just go into the history and recover it if you can

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Google docs have revision history! :eng101:

Just go into the history and recover it if you can
Thank you. I managed to recover most of it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Papa's face pales when Mama tells him about the needles of death madra. It is a testament to his love for Mama that his voice is respectful when he replies: "You did a great job getting our daughter back, light of my eyes, but she needs to see the healer. Now. Please stay here while I take her. I can't leave the cave mouth unguarded." Papa scoops you up effortlessly, and he lumbers down the tunnel heading to the heart of the tribe's cave complex as quickly as he can. Arely and Wotjeo follow you.

More curious than concerned by your parent's actions you look at your wrist. You don't see any needles. You can see where the marbled polecat spirit companion bit you clearly. The teeth marks are all too visible, and there are two holes in your wrist that are deeper than the others that match the marbled polecat's two longer teeth. The bites are bleeding freely. It doesn't seem like there's anything there.

You pass your left hand over the area above the holes in your right wrist. There's no resistance, but you do feel a strange sensation in your left hand. You've never felt anything like it before. It didn't feel like being stabbed by needles at all; more of a sucking sensation? Kind of like when you suck the juice out of an apricot? You make a fist with your left hand. Are your fingers just a little slower to close than usual? You were bitten on your right wrist. You try to make a fist with your right hand, and your fingers barely respond. Now the fear starts to well up in you. Just a trickle for now. You focus on your right hand and will your hand to close. Your fingers start moving, but it takes even more effort and concentration than doing a headstand. Slowly, terrifyingly slowly you will the fingers of your right hand into a fist. Finally, you manage it. You take a look around and realize it took you so long to make a fist that Papa has already carried you through the central cave and into the tunnels near Minaro's lesson cave. "Papa, what's wrong with my hand?" Papa's reply is breathless and gasped out between breaths as he runs: "Don't worry. Pant. Healer Curada will. Pant. Fix it. Pant. Try not. Pant. To Move. Pant. Moving makes it. Pant. Worse."

Fortunately, neither your good sense nor your obedience is tested because it's at this point that you arrive at the healer's cave. Also, fortunately, Healer Curada is a light sleeper and quickly gets to work after being woken up. She has Papa hold your right arm immobile while she uses silver tongs to mime plucking a needle out of each of the deeper tooth marks in your wrist and then mimes dropping them into a tin goblet. Afterward, she smears a white paste over all the bite marks. "There. Fortunately, the technique didn't have long to work. If you'd waited a few days before coming to me the way some Hunters do, I would have had to tear off the arm to stop it from spreading to your body and stopping your heart. As it is, you should make a full recovery by the end of the month. Be a good kid and try to make a fist."

You try to close your right hand into a fist, and it is just as hard it was before. "Good. Very good. You still have full motor control. Yes, you'll definitely be fully recovered by the end of the month. Pity the Luchamadra starts in four or five hours. One more thing before you go." Healer Curada plucks two pieces of honeyed apricots from a bowl and hands them to you. "Here's a little something for being a good kid. I appreciate a quiet patient, and you didn't flinch at all when I pulled those needles out." You didn't flinch because you didn't feel anything. You're not at all sure this isn't some elaborate prank. "You wouldn't believe the way some big strong men wail and flail about while I'm treating them." She looks slyly at Papa. He coughs and stammers a reply: "Thank you for your help Healer Curada. We should be going. Pūmiè needs to try and get some rest before the tournament."

While the adults are talking you hop down and look into the tin goblet Healer Curada mimed dropping the needles into. When you get real close, you can hear a quiet moaning sound. Just when you're about to put your hand in the cup to try to touch the invisible needles again Healer Curada addresses you: "If you want to learn how to heal, stop by after the festival. It's not every day a new cub is born with hands steady enough to make a good healer. I'm not sure you've got what it takes to be my apprentice, but you should at least learn the basics. Off the both of you go. You're not the only one who wants to be well rested for the Luchamadra festival."

The Luchamadra festival, as Mama told you, is the single greatest gathering of the tribes. So, even though you only slept half the night, even though your bruises ache and you can hardly use your right hand, you get up early with the rest of the tribe to watch the others arrive. The heart of the festival is the arena set up for the tournament near the river. Surrounding the arena are five sets of terraced seating built for the festival.

The first to arrive are the Water Leopards. Their arrival is presaged by nary a ripple on the river’s surface. There was no hint of their presence even in its shallow depths before their heads rose smoothly above the surface. Water poured down them like a waterfall, streaming back to its source as they lazily stride ashore. Their clothes and hair show no sign of the water they emerged from. Too arrogant to make an effort to display their power, the lazy grace with which they saunter towards their seats makes its own statement. Like you, they wear clothes of leather. The younger members of the tribe look similar to you, but the older members all have river blue skin. Nearly as tall as they Silver Bears, they are slimmer and their muscles are leaner if no less defined.

The Corazon Chamois are the second to arrive. They are led by a pair of adults with their spirit companions beside them, one male and one female. Both of them have dirt brown hair. Before them, a smooth path rises out of the ground. Trees and bushes shuffle out of the way. Even in the midst of winter, thick green grass sprouts on the path to cushion the steps of their bare feet. Behind them every adult in the tribe healthy enough to make the trip follows. Where they pass, flowers leap up to great them and trees bend their branches low to offer up sweet pomegranates, crunchy nuts, and apricots although the season for apricots is well past. The younger members of the tribe break out in wild jumps when they can’t contain their excitement. Only a few of them jump higher than the treetops, but even the youngest can leap higher than their own heads. Unlike the bear tribe, their clothes are made not of leather but pure undyed wool from their spirit companions.

The Crystal Butterflies would have stood out regardless, but arriving after the plainly dressed Corazon Chamois, they nearly outshine the sun. Every Butterfly is adorned in brilliantly glittering jewelry that sets off their wild assortment of hair colors and complexions. Young children about your age often have yellow or brown hair, but even some of them have more unusual hair colors like sapphire or emerald. Dazzling bursts of light and sound like fireworks dance in the sky above their single file column. One by one they stride up the length of the arena, with wide spaces between each member of their tribe to better allow each individual member to strut their stuff. They are so beautiful that it takes your breath away. Every single one of them is astonishingly attractive, and age does not seem to touch them. Upon arriving at their seating stands, teenagers swoop up the sides like so many leaves in the wind, disdaining the stairs that the younger children and their parents climb. Mama points out several to you as your grandparents and other relatives.

Last to arrive are the Marbled Polecats. After last night you’d recognize the sinister swiftness of their movements anywhere. You watch them closely, but don’t recognize any of them as the one who attacked you. You aren’t sure you would recognize your attacked from last night even if you shook his hand though, it was very dark, and you never got a good look at him. Their arrival is presaged by a cloud of shadow that blots out the light of the World Yolk. The sudden darkness is even more shocking after the brilliant display of the Crystal Butterflies. Despite there being a veritable army of them making their way to the arena seating, they make not the slightest sound until the last of them are seated and the shadows blanketing them fade away.

The seats for each of the clans are themselves a work of art. Huge arrays of metal stands rising more than five times Mama’s height off the ground and elegantly decorated with elaborate engravings and statues of the respective tribes’ spirit companions. Not only the decorations, but the seats themselves have been customized to suit each tribe and their spirit companions. The seats for the Silver Bears are at the head of the arena, as is proper. Opposite them is only an open field leading down to the river. On the right side are seats nearly as large and just as sturdy for the Water Leopards. Further down on the right side are the seats for the Marbled Polecats. These seats are the second smallest and raised pedestals beside them make space for their spirit companions to rest on and still see over those seated in front of them. To the left are the smallest and lightest seating. These have no seats for spirit companions beside them but the sides of the seating are festooned elegant filigree in the shape of flowers for the crystal butterflies to perch on. Further down to the right, as far from the carnivorous tribes as possible are a set of middle-sized seating with no stairs; even the bottom row has been replaced by a vertical cliff as tall as an adult bear. This is where the vegetarian Corazon Chamois sit. As they arrive they effortlessly leap up to their seats. Only the youngest require more than a single jump to reach even the highest seats.

The first day of the festival opens with contests between the Ore-Tier members of all the tribes. The arena has been separated into fourths so that all the matches can be held in a single short day. You know from Mina’s and Elder Minaro’s lessons that most people reach Ore-Tier by four winters and pass beyond it to Tin by eight winters. You are currently five winters of age so you might be matched against an opponent a winter younger or three older than you. You have no connections among the leaders of your tribe and so have no reason to expect a favorable match. Your expectations are not disappointed.

You find yourself facing off against a member of the Water Leopard tribe, the only tribe that can match your own for size and strength. She is larger and more mature looking than you. You can hear her water leopard spirit companion purring eagerly. Her tail swishing as she waits for the signal for the referee to finish reciting the rules Papa explained to you many times over dinner the past year. You win by

1) Making any part of your opponent touch the ground outside the arena or across the lines marking the edge of your quarter of the arena removes your opponent from the match.
      a)Their partner may continue fighting however
2) Making them surrender
3) Rendering them unable to continue fighting as determined by the referee
      a)E.g. immobilizing them for a ten count (Felero taught you to count to five, but no higher yet so you’re not sure how long ten is, but it sounds like a long time)
      b)E.g. knocking them unconscious

While the referee is reciting the rules, you hear Mama’s voice in your ear. You jump, startled and look around. Mama waves to you from the stands. “I asked the wind to carry my voice to you growllita. No one else can hear me. Your opponent is slightly larger than you, and so is probably older than you by a single winter. They will be at least your match in strength and will know at least one technique — possibly as many as three. Neither their hair nor their skin has begun to change color, so they have no more than average spiritual strength. Do your best my dear little growlitta. I will be proud of you no matter what.”

It sounds like the referee is nearly finished explaining the rules, so you have only a moment to consider how to fight this match. You are tired from only sleeping half the night, and your right hand is nearly useless. Fortunately, you are left handed, so you are only handicapped, not crippled. Against a similarly strong opponent like this one you will be at a definite disadvantage. The first time you use your dream mirror technique will be the most effective as you will have the advantage of surprise, so you are reluctant to use it in the first match, and it’s only unlikely you will win without it, not impossible.

On the one hand, it would be utterly humiliating to lose your first match, despite Mama’s words of reassurance. On the other, you need to make a strong showing today if you are ever going to gain regular access to the vital essence nodes you need to develop Wotjeo’s spiritual strength, and there are many Ore-Tier competitors older, larger, stronger, and armed with superior techniques than your current opponent. The tribe's elders have picked a deviously dangerous matchup for you. Do you go all out in your first matchup and then run out of steam later or risk being eliminated in the first round and save your trump technique for later?

1) How do you want to fight this match?
A. Rely on your training from Mina and tackle your opponent
B. Try to double team the human
C. Try to double team the water leopard spirit companion
D. Use your dream mirror technique
E. Run around like a crazy person
F. Sit down and cry. You've had a long hard night and now you're supposed to fight again?
write in

LLSix fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 11, 2019

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Cat is where we go at

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
A

Being down an arm in a grapple is real bad, but we should fight the way we know how to fight. We've been feeding Wotjeo a lot lately, he's healthy and can make a strong showing. Let's try to stall the human with a tackle and hope our brother can beat the leopard.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Since we're both tin-tier, the dream mirror should work. D, and if we throw them off then we can fight on our terms.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

D I'm not sure anyone of this age and level will necessarily have an effective counter to the mirror technique, even if they are aware of it. And we are at a size, rest, and hand disadvantage. Also, our spiritual stat is literally twice our physical, and I'm gonna guess that'll help the Dream Mirror land.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
D, I doubt we're punching above our weight at this point. It would be nice if at could go up a rank, but at least winning this fight secures our place and shows that we're not a total slouch.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is it possible to restrict the mirror technique so that only those closest are affected? So the spectators see nothing.

In terms of specific use, try to trick the leopard into pouncing on and knocking over just spirit-sister. Apparently most people can't talk to their spirit-siblings clearly at this age, so she'll be unable to explain why she did that and the technique remains in doubt.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

D

Losing first round would suck, and without our tricks we will probably lose. We can worry about the second round later, one problem at a time.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

We're down a hand, a year, and we're already weaker than normal physically due to our mixed heritage. Yeah, our only real chance of not embarrassing ourselves in the first match is D.

What's up with us not feeling the Death Madra needles at all, anyways? According to the healer they're SUPPOSED to hurt...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

What's up with us not feeling the Death Madra needles at all, anyways? According to the healer they're SUPPOSED to hurt...

Our synesthesia is all fucky, probably due to our mixed heritage. We hear Metal instead of seeing it etc. So we perceive Death madra differently as well. (And very poorly, to the point we weren't even 100% sure it was there)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

D

Even if it doesn't work we still get to impress the spectators with our skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

How do our spirit companions compare in size?