Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMKAvCTPRDE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Big K of Justice posted:

Revenge of Shinobi had the junkyard boss where you fought "Arnold" who started to turn green as he got damaged then turned into the Terminator. And as someone else noted, 2 versions, one with spiderman/batman and another with spiderman/bat demon-ish but not batman guy. I think they changed the godzilla boss too.

Awesome, makes more sense.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

HA HA HA

HUR HUR UH

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Pastry of the Year posted:

HA HA HA

HUR HUR UH

"If you are a gamer, you must be pretty aware that CAPCOM kick so much rear end. They do indeed and random Pause Sound rules!"

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

KillerJunglist posted:

"If you are a gamer, you must be pretty aware that CAPCOM kick so much rear end. They do indeed and random Pause Sound rules!"

:hmmyes:

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I promised i would be back with more cool Sega poo poo, so here it is you nintendweebs!

now I know you've all probably heard of that crappy monochrome (lol) handheld that for some reason sold so well (pokemon) but did you also know that Sega had a way cooler, better handheld device? Yeah, they did! It was called the GAME GEAR and it kicked major rear end. The screen lit up so you could play it in the dark and it was in color. So way better than the Gayboy that Nintendorks had.

This badboy had super cool audio too and the colors were amazing. It even had a contrast control so you can choose just how many color rays your eyes would get (hint, a lot). And this device only had to take three AA batteries on each side. So yeah, that's six in total but the gameboy took four so that's only two extra, idiot. And back in the 90s everyone had rechargeable batteries too so its not like you ever had to buy any either. But if you were a stupid jerk that didnt have rechargeable batteries then you could opt to enlist for the help of the Turbo Twins. This was TWO battery packs that gave your GAME GEAR even longer battery life so you could play sweet games like Sonic Chaos on the go for longer. Not only that but they made the console look cooler, tool, like it's flying or something.

The other cool thing they made for the GAME GEAR was the television tuner adaptor. That's right, you could watch TV on your GAME GEAR so you didnt have to talk to other people at family weddings etc. As usual they followed the black color theme so it looked right in place when you plugged it in and they even remembered to write 'color' on it so you could boast to your friends that you had a portable tv in your jeans pocket but didnt want to turn it onto show them because it'd just make them jealous. It also meant you could watch your own cartoons in the morning when you stupid sister wanted to watch my little pony and stuff.

much like the Power Base Converter we discussed before (which let you play Master System games on your Megadrive/Genesis) there was also one for the GAME GEAR too!! All you had to do was buy it and plug it in, then plug your master system game into it. It was like having TWO consoles in ONE and it was PORTABLE. did nintendo have that? no, they didnt because they wanted you to buy all of their crappy consoles instead of winning with money and value

i know what else you're thinking too. what if the screen is too small because of my small eyes? well just like nintendo they made a screen magnifier! And just like the nintendo one, it was horrible and gave you motion sickness without moving but hey they made it so gently caress you.

for portable storage and easy access you could also get the 3rd party Handy Gear! It was a little briefcase thing but with buttons on the outside so you could play without removing it. Yeah it looked goofy...

but not as goofy as this loving thing, the Handy Boy, which is just as gay as it sounds.

i guess what i'm trying to get at here is that sega rules and nintendon't, losers :cool:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Perkins restaurants used to have Game Gear for kids to play while waiting for their food. The batteries were always dead by the time my meal came.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
Virtual boy was the raddest reddest system ever.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
OP what are your feelings on the new Sonic movie (wherein he notes that "[he] gotta go fast")

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I had a friend with a Game Gear and he played it plugged into the wall most of the time because the thing had like an hour of battery life. Maybe 2 hours if he turned the brightness way down. It was comical having this behemoth handheld that sucked down batteries like nothing next to a comparatively svelte Game Boy with like 15 hours of battery life.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Angelwolf posted:

but not as goofy as this loving thing, the Handy Boy, which is just as gay as it sounds.

drat. I don't miss any Game Boy games really, but gently caress I wanna play with that right now.
Now I'm sad I didn't have this on my GB back then. :(

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Empty Sandwich posted:

OP what are your feelings on the new Sonic movie (wherein he notes that "[he] gotta go fast")

What he really means is, "gotta go blast process stuff"

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
I remember keeping my batteries for my Gameboy and Game Gear (my adult brother bought and regretted) for trips and used the wall charger to get most of my time in on these devices.

Once the game boy rechargeable died completely, a new problem arose, which was always present with my Game Gear. If the power jack was adjusted in any way, there would be an immediate power loss.

I lost a fair few hours of Pokemon to moving a fraction of an inch. Fortunately, I only had lovely Game Gear games.

I wanted the TV tuner and a Nomad like crazy.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the gameboy was around for 9 years before gameboy color came out. 9 years. color palette of 4 shades of grey
i can forgive game gear for not having amazing battery life. even though i have no idea what games it had im sure those games were rendered in higher better than 4 shades of grey

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I had one of those controllers with a "slow-mo" setting on it. It basically just spammed the start button to pause the game, and it sounded the best with this.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

i cant look at your stupid weiner avatar any more
Dreamcast Soul Calibur is still the best Soul Calibur and Sega Rally Championship 2 is one of the best arcade rally games, if not the best, ever made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkIQHRAuJus

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

V-Rally is better though

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bradzilla posted:

Perkins restaurants used to have Game Gear for kids to play while waiting for their food. The batteries were always dead by the time my meal came.

The Game Gear costs about a dollar an hour to operate on batteries lol

Also there were a few games that were literally impossible to beat without the wall outlet adapter

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

i cant look at your stupid weiner avatar any more

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

The Game Gear costs about a dollar an hour to operate on batteries lol

Also there were a few games that were literally impossible to beat without the wall outlet adapter

The Game Gear was a good idea, putting a master system into a handheld

it was not at all an idea for its time, though

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Heh heh, that darn cup

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Sega did 9/11 while Nintendidn't

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

literally this big posted:

Sega did 9/11 while Nintendidn't
which side are we supposed to root for in this?

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Sony.

:smugbert:

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Caesar Saladin posted:

sonics dumb because like, he goes fast but i can barely see in front of him to react to the levels. what, am i supposed to memorise this poo poo?

literally yes

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

shadow the hedgehog is literally a better game than any other sonic game released since 2001 with the notable exception of sonic mania which owns and is way better than the lovely genesis games everyone has rose colored glasses for

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

gary oldmans diary posted:

which side are we supposed to root for in this?

Sega, naturally

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

quote:

In Japan, Sega released the Mega Jet, a portable version of the Mega Drive for use on Japan Airlines flights. The Mega Jet requires a connection to a television screen and a power source, and so outside of airline flights can only be used in cars equipped with a television set and cigarette lighter receptacle. On planes, the Mega Jet was connected into armrest monitors. It had a limited consumer release in Japanese department stores in 1994, but did not see success.

lol

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Please don't dunk on the Mega Jet in this thread. It was killed before it had the chance to be born :(

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Chinatown posted:

I play PC games OP.

Console my balls in your mouth OP!

so you decided not to suicide, that's good

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Wait, so it's a portable console without a screen?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Wait, so it's a portable console without a screen?

So a Sega Master System?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I actually really like the Master System but it's not a great console, especially the controllers.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao why would they sell this in stores?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
its like attaching the controller of the sega genesis directly to the console. for the obvious advantages

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
It was for playing MD games on airplanes. They loaned them out and you could hook them up to the seat screen.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

Lmao why would they sell this in stores?

Is that a controller port there on the bottom?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

gary oldmans diary posted:

its like attaching the controller of the sega genesis directly to the console. for the obvious advantages

The advantage of your game freezing by slightly moving the cartridge while playing

Yeah lol

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

yeah so you can play games with your friends not that you have any!!!!! :downsowned:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I fully admit I bought the Genesis refresh only because it looked great. Still prefered SNES though because 256 colours was brutal even back then.

Also bought the 32X and didn't regret it because I played all the Virtua games then sold it before the hype died.

Then I bought the Saturn... That was super dumb