Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The whole time travel thing was broken from the moment ant man came out of the quantum realm.

I mean who would have done the original snap if 2014 Thanos gets dusted in the future?

Are we still spoilering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Shaocaholica posted:

The whole time travel thing was broken from the moment ant man came out of the quantum realm.

I mean who would have done the original snap if 2014 Thanos gets dusted in the future?

Are we still spoilering?

Apparently until Monday.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

2014 Thanos is a duplicate created in a temporary universe by the time machine. Once all the stones are returned to that universe by Captain America, as explained by Tilda Swinton and reiterated at the end of the movie, the branch is trimmed. There is no future in that universe for Thanos to snap or not snap after that point because that branch has been eliminated.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Sir Kodiak posted:

2014 Thanos is a duplicate created in a temporary universe by the time machine. Once all the stones are returned to that universe by Captain America, as explained by Tilda Swinton and reiterated at the end of the movie, the branch is trimmed. There is no future in that universe for Thanos to snap or not snap after that point because that branch has been eliminated.

That's literally a paradox which is what I was saying originally which is every time travel movie that goes backwards.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Shaocaholica posted:

Are we still spoilering?

Any time something is changed in the past, an alternate timeline is branched off and moves forward with that thing having changed. Prime timeline (the one we're watching) had the snap happen, there's no way to undo it. But now there is an alt-2014 timeline where Thanos & his army winked into a portal one day and were never seen again.

Beaten, sorta.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
All of this is why...

Nebula’s weird network functions or whatever opened the door that Thanos would have been brilliant enough and prepared that someone would seek to undo his plan and therefore stage resistance and safeguards to the stones being stolen. Which is what an evil genius powerful entity wild have thought of - but no....

RocketLunatic fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 4, 2019

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

ruddiger posted:

That actor plays a crazy eastern european hitman in HBO's Barry and he practically steals the drat show he's so good in it.

Harton posted:

Seriously he is hands down the best character on the show. Honestly I haven’t really started much of season 2 and he’s probably the only reason I’ll actually dig in one day and watch it. Every scene he’s in is just hilarious.

“God drat your really creepy man”

I hope he gets more work. He's great.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Not analyzing or trying to reconcile the time travel nonsense is the only correct choice. It will just lead to a 12-24 month discussion morass.

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/v...dninstagram.com

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/petersu_1127/status/1121696467851206656

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Svensken
May 29, 2010
Just watched the movie and didn't someone on these dead gay forums predict this ending, with the exception of old Cap showing up and explaining what he'd done?

The movie was good btw.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sir Kodiak posted:

Convenient. It's like magic.

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

:nws:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Svensken
May 29, 2010

FistEnergy posted:

Not analyzing or trying to reconcile the time travel nonsense is the only correct choice. It will just lead to a 12-24 month discussion morass.

Have you met us? People are still flinging poo poo over BvS.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Well nothing really makes sense in a superhero movie but this one just stands out to me is all because they tried to explain it and failed.

And holy poo poo he should he killing people brutally when hes small.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLIouBM99jo

Why did the restraints matter if Gort can just turn into a locust swarm and fly away?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

FistEnergy posted:

Nah; it’s really not too complicated at all. There’s just the ambiguous bullshit exposition from Tilda Swinton that’s throwing people off.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Wendell posted:

Why did the restraints matter if Gort can just turn into a locust swarm and fly away?

He was trolling them.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

That's literally a paradox which is what I was saying originally which is every time travel movie that goes backwards.

What's the paradox?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if this is really spoiler-worthy, but re-watching GoTG2 this afternoon really made me wish the Ravagers made a cameo when all the snapped people came back. Just a good old-fashioned "hey, so, everything between us and you is going to be lit up, s'cool?" spectacle.

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RocketLunatic posted:

All of this is why...

NEBULA'S weird network functions or whatever opened the door that Thanos would have been brilliant enough and prepared that someone would seek to undo his plan and therefore stage resistance and safeguards to the stones being stolen. Which is what an evil genius powerful entity wild have thought of - but no....

Fixed for you i hope

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know if this is really spoiler-worthy, but re-watching GoTG2 this afternoon really made me wish the Ravagers made a cameo when all the snapped people came back. Just a good old-fashioned "hey, so, everything between us and you is going to be lit up, s'cool?" spectacle.

There were ravagers walking out of the portals, it was really easy to miss them though

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Howard the duck comes through too and rapes one of the alien attackers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Shaocaholica posted:

Howard the duck comes through too and rapes one of the alien attackers.

I actually don't know of this is a joke.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

JBP posted:

I actually don't know of this is a joke.

It’s not a joke, they’re already talking about a more explicit version of the scene as an extra for the blu-ray.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
Imagine you're on a flight from London to New York, and all of a sudden half the people around you turn to dust. As people begin pounding on the door to the cockpit, you realize you're fated to crash once the autopilot finally runs out of fuel.

Imagine looking up from the news on your phone to see a silent airliner bearing down on you.

Imagine you're on the same flight, you feel extremely unwell, then you and half the passengers are free falling from 30,000 ft over the ocean.. How did Tony Hulk account for that?

JohnnySavs fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 4, 2019

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

JohnnySavs posted:

Imagine you're on a flight from London to New York, and all of a sudden half the people around you turn to dust. As people begin pounding on the door to the cockpit, you realize you're fated to crash once the autopilot finally runs out of fuel.

Imagine looking up from the news on your phone to see a silent airliner bearing down on you.

Imagine you're on the same flight, you feel extremely unwell, then you and half the passengers are free falling from 30,000 ft over the ocean.. How did Tony account for that?

Please no real world talk here please.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JohnnySavs posted:

Imagine you're on the same flight, you feel extremely unwell, then you and half the passengers are free falling from 30,000 ft over the ocean.. How did Tony account for that?

Tony didn't do the snap, Hulk did.

The closest-to-a-happy ending answer is that they ended up reappearing on the ground somewhere because Hulk thought of that, though the people who died in the crash/aftermath are kind of screwed.

The sad answer is "welp, those people represent a relative minority of the disappeared folks so they're pretty hosed."

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

JohnnySavs posted:

A wizard An infinity stone did it.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

JohnnySavs posted:

Before Hulk does the snap there's a line of dialogue where he's talking to Stark where he says something like "Bringing everybody who vanished five years ago back today safely" (emphasis mine), so maybe he did account for that and if people would have come back in a dangerous way, they come back a slight distance away in a place that's safe?

This is just me extrapolating a lot from one word.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What if you got shot right before the snap and then you come back but with the same wound.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

JohnnySavs posted:

The Earth is moving around the Sun, the Sun moves around the galactic core and so on. so unless the second snap moves people to some degree, everyone comes back into vacuum

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

The Earth is moving around the Sun, the Sun moves around the galactic core and so on. so unless the second snap moves people to some degree, everyone comes back into vacuum

This is how the time travel must work as well, as not only do they travel in time, they must move in space as well (e.g. War Machine returns from whatever planet from GotG 1 to upstate New York and so on with the rest as well). So I guess Stark invented teleportation] as well.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

That would imply an absolute frame of reference though.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

YaketySass posted:

That would imply an absolute frame of reference though.

Allow me to rephrase: wherever people are brought back, their position relative to some objects will have changed, therefore there is no point in complaining that one of the objects is the earth rather than the sun, the galactic core or anything else

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Allow me to rephrase: wherever people are brought back, their position relative to some objects will have changed, therefore there is no point in complaining that one of the objects is the earth rather than the sun, the galactic core or anything else

If it's the Earth, which isn't more arbitrary than the galactic core or anything else, this isn't a problem.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can imagine the dragon balls are somewhat intelligent about granting wishes.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well yea they have a talking sentient dragon that grants them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Another important aspect of this movie: New Jersey finally gets its due as the setting of an epic fantasy battle.