Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

I think I've posted this image before, but we basically built a shelf above the monitors to hold the speakers (and usually, the cat).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I got the new desk!

Had to wait 5 weeks for it to be made and I'm very glad I did.

Next step will be getting a proper ergonomic chair as the current one is just the simplest chair imaginable. That'll be 2 months away though as they are so expensive.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

I think I've posted this image before, but we basically built a shelf above the monitors to hold the speakers (and usually, the cat).

I think I used to have that same stereo system like 20 years ago, I assume yours is about that old? Do you actually use the CD and tape deck features much?

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Yeah, mine’s about that old, and just hasn’t broken yet, so I’ve been using its auxiliary input as the speakers for both computers.

I used the tape and CD functions when I first got it, but probably haven’t touched them in a decade.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I kinda really miss that old stereo, I seem to remember the display having a lot of light and I think like a equalizer. What is the make and model? I want to search for a youtube video of the screen lighting up. I would only want to use the CD player for nostalgia, and the fact that old fashioned electronics like that didn't have software that needed updates or rebooting, it just worked.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Tbh, if stuff like Techmoan and my own pangs of desire are anything to go by, quality tape/CD decks and boomboxes are gonna keep rising in desirability and demand. So hold onto yours if you have a good one.

The paltry few being made today are garbage-tier (aside from maybe a few decent models that are japan-only).

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Crotch Fruit posted:

I kinda really miss that old stereo, I seem to remember the display having a lot of light and I think like a equalizer. What is the make and model? I want to search for a youtube video of the screen lighting up. I would only want to use the CD player for nostalgia, and the fact that old fashioned electronics like that didn't have software that needed updates or rebooting, it just worked.

It’s a Philips FW-C35.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Sininu posted:

Next step will be getting a proper ergonomic chair as the current one is just the simplest chair imaginable. That'll be 2 months away though as they are so expensive.
Do you happen to have a used office furniture store around you?

There is a place near me (West Michigan), most of it comes from end-of-lease, some from places that have closed. It isn't crap walmart stuff either, it's all name brand mid to high quality stuff. I got a Steelcase Criterion for 60 bucks.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Koskun posted:

Do you happen to have a used office furniture store around you?

There is a place near me (West Michigan), most of it comes from end-of-lease, some from places that have closed. It isn't crap walmart stuff either, it's all name brand mid to high quality stuff. I got a Steelcase Criterion for 60 bucks.

There's a thrift store nearby where I bought my previous table, they often have alright cheap office tables there that have just individual legs without any frame connecting them. I haven't seen any decent chairs there though, I don't think any companies that have local offices here have even heard of Steelcase or Herman Mille and there's no used or even new office furniture stores in my town. I don't think there's any used furniture store in the whole country even.
There's just 5 furniture stores in here and they all sell same garbage <100 euro chairs and no simple tables except kitchen ones at all(lmao). They are so bad.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Those horizontal streaks made me think I was looking at display or GPU failure at first. :v:

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nope, and I hope that doesn't happen for a good long time given how poo poo the 2080 series is.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I hope this is the place to ask, but I'm having trouble picking out a new desk. My current one is a 53" wide desk with an unremovable hutch on the back that's really too annoying to work with. My 27" monitor has to be tilted to fit, which is horrible on my eyes, and the 24" (that I plan to upgrade to a 27" eventually) is up on top of the hutch - great for putting on Netflix while I work, but horrible for any kind of productivity. And I'm moving, so this is the perfect time to replace it.

I've got a little space in the room where I want to put the new desk. It's a 46" wide hole with 32" on the sides. Ignore the measurements written here, they were based off an incorrect floorplan, but you get the idea:

The plan originally was to put the desk against that back 47" wall, but now I'm thinking I want to put a wider desk in that starts on the wall where the arrow is pointing to the 40" and goes almost to the wall on the far left of the image, leaving space for me to go into my little cubicle. I was considering the typical Ikea Linnmon/Double Alex, but I'm so used to a keyboard tray I don't know if I'd get wrist strain working without one. How's the Ikea Linnmon/Alex desk work for gaming and productivity? Is there a recommended shelf kind of thing for putting the monitors a few inches higher?

I'm having trouble finding reviews of desks that aren't clickbait top 10 lists or that don't recommend some hideous DX Racer l33t gaming desks.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

I hope this is the place to ask, but I'm having trouble picking out a new desk. My current one is a 53" wide desk with an unremovable hutch on the back that's really too annoying to work with. My 27" monitor has to be tilted to fit, which is horrible on my eyes, and the 24" (that I plan to upgrade to a 27" eventually) is up on top of the hutch - great for putting on Netflix while I work, but horrible for any kind of productivity. And I'm moving, so this is the perfect time to replace it.

I've got a little space in the room where I want to put the new desk. It's a 46" wide hole with 32" on the sides. Ignore the measurements written here, they were based off an incorrect floorplan, but you get the idea:

The plan originally was to put the desk against that back 47" wall, but now I'm thinking I want to put a wider desk in that starts on the wall where the arrow is pointing to the 40" and goes almost to the wall on the far left of the image, leaving space for me to go into my little cubicle. I was considering the typical Ikea Linnmon/Double Alex, but I'm so used to a keyboard tray I don't know if I'd get wrist strain working without one. How's the Ikea Linnmon/Alex desk work for gaming and productivity? Is there a recommended shelf kind of thing for putting the monitors a few inches higher?

I'm having trouble finding reviews of desks that aren't clickbait top 10 lists or that don't recommend some hideous DX Racer l33t gaming desks.
What is your budget for a desk here?

Something that may end up being custom length and width could really make the decision for you as to whether or not you get a pre-made or "make it" yourself.

Something like a butcher block with some beefy legs/file cabinets could be custom fit in the space pretty easy, though pricey. Is this a place where you can do wall supports/bracing or no. If yes, it could make a clean "floating" desk, just put in grommet holes or slots for cables.

If that is out of your budget, I'd look around for a used furniture place, even a thrift type store. I'd also check to see if you have a Habitat Resale Store near. (so as to not make the mistake the last time I suggest this, this may only apply if you are in the States). You might not find a desk that exactly fits, but I'd bet it could be taken apart and modified fairly easily with minimal tools. Could also find something like a counter top, that with a bit of bracing could work quite well as a desk.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Koskun posted:

What is your budget for a desk here?

Something that may end up being custom length and width could really make the decision for you as to whether or not you get a pre-made or "make it" yourself.

Something like a butcher block with some beefy legs/file cabinets could be custom fit in the space pretty easy, though pricey. Is this a place where you can do wall supports/bracing or no. If yes, it could make a clean "floating" desk, just put in grommet holes or slots for cables.

If that is out of your budget, I'd look around for a used furniture place, even a thrift type store. I'd also check to see if you have a Habitat Resale Store near. (so as to not make the mistake the last time I suggest this, this may only apply if you are in the States). You might not find a desk that exactly fits, but I'd bet it could be taken apart and modified fairly easily with minimal tools. Could also find something like a counter top, that with a bit of bracing could work quite well as a desk.

I want to go affordable. The Ikea build is $229 and I consider it the high end of what I could afford, but I spend at least eight hours a day at it so it needs to be comfortable. I'll check out the Habitat Restore, thanks - there's one 12 minutes from me, turns out!

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

I want to go affordable. The Ikea build is $229 and I consider it the high end of what I could afford, but I spend at least eight hours a day at it so it needs to be comfortable. I'll check out the Habitat Restore, thanks - there's one 12 minutes from me, turns out!

I've got 3 of the Habitat stores within 45 or so minutes of me, and the inventory difference between them is kind of bonkers.

The main one I like to hit is the one farthest away, but they constantly have some sort of either counter top, old desk, or the like available. One of the other ones I picked up a 3 drawer cabinet, they had 2, but I only wanted one, so. Grabbed some casters from a bin, a couple of nuts and a 1 dollar piece of scrap they had laying around, and I now have a rolling filing cabinet. Works great for my Surface.

Ok, slightly off there. But if you are in a moderately non-rural area, I'd also look to see if there is a Salvation Army store near as well. I pop into the one near-ish to me a few times a year, and they constantly have old huge desks. Pick up some legs (or file cabinets), maybe a bit of cutting, and a nice "custom" desk is yours.

I'd also check to see if there are any actual office resale stores around. One near me has a small warehouse with literal rows of different sized desktops. Last time I got one it was around 50 bucks for a 5' x 2' top, and like 30 or so for set of legs.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Decided to take the mat off, I like this cleaner look. Now to figure out what to do with the modmat

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Decided to take the mat off, I like this cleaner look. Now to figure out what to do with the modmat

Mutant detected.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

IuniusBrutus posted:

Mutant detected.

It's because my mouse is on the wrong side isn't it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

It's because my mouse is on the wrong side isn't it

maybe it’s because you apparently spell your name “Bryan”

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

maybe it’s because you apparently spell your name “Bryan”

Also a valid point

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

IuniusBrutus posted:

Mutant detected.

I have a mouse on either side, I kid you not. A trackball on the left and regular mouse on the right.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KingEup posted:

I have a mouse on either side, I kid you not. A trackball on the left and regular mouse on the right.

Got carpal tunnel syndrome?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Wibla posted:

Got carpal tunnel syndrome?

No, but I definitely don’t want it so I spent 2 weeks learning how to use a trackball with my left arm for work and all general pc use. I now only use my right arm for gaming.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KingEup posted:

No, but I definitely don’t want it so I spent 2 weeks learning how to use a trackball with my left arm for work and all general pc use. I now only use my right arm for gaming.

Lifting heavy things and putting them back down again combined with some stretching exercises will immunize your arms from poo poo like tendinitis.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Weight lifting can be a cause of tendinitis not a cure. Maybe you’re joking.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

stuxracer posted:

Only if you're doing it wrong or not cycling after several weeks. Our muscles hate routine.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

stuxracer posted:

Not joking. Our bodies are not made for sitting in front of a computer all day, some physical activity is needed. Being in reasonable shape with decent (core) strength keeps most of the usual ailments from office work at bay.

nem posted:

Only if you're doing it wrong or not cycling after several weeks. Our muscles hate routine.

Basically this.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

While the thread's on ergonimics, I just switched to doing WFH, so I stained a 6 foot butcherblock and put it on a Jarvis sit/stand frame. Still gotta mount my surge protector underneath + do cable management, but real happy with the result:

Unused monitor arm is for a future ultrawide.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Nice work. How deep can that frame handle?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Not entirely sure, to be honest -- I personally know people that have done 32" deep with no problem, but they don't actually list a maximum depth anywhere. They do recommend not going under 27" deep or the legs will stick out, which I went under -- Mine's only 2 feet deep.

If you buy a full kit from them their supplied top is 30" deep. The company is real supportive of people DIYing it though, so I'd probably just shoot them an email/tweet. :shrug:

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Got new a mediocre gamin' rig and a new Dell monitor to go with the iMac. Love the build in KVM on the monitor. Just wish it would turn off the other inputs when they're not in use. My iMac doesn't realize the input went away when I switch.

benisntfunny fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 21, 2019

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

benisntfunny posted:

Love the build in KVM on the monitor.

Please tell me more about this.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Xik posted:

Please tell me more about this.

Multiple video inputs as well as multiple upstream USB inputs, which can be mapped to each other in the monitor config menus, e.g.

DisplayPort -> USB uplink 1
HDMI 2 -> USB uplink 2
USB-C/DP -> USB C uplink

Switching the video input also swaps the uplink for the built-in USB hub, which you connect your keyboard/mouse/etc to.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Wow thanks, that loving owns.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

SamDabbers posted:

Multiple video inputs as well as multiple upstream USB inputs, which can be mapped to each other in the monitor config menus, e.g.

DisplayPort -> USB uplink 1
HDMI 2 -> USB uplink 2
USB-C/DP -> USB C uplink

Switching the video input also swaps the uplink for the built-in USB hub, which you connect your keyboard/mouse/etc to.

This is the one thing that would make my P2415q perfect now that I have a macbook for studying in addition to my gaming PC.

Barnsey
Apr 19, 2005

Xerophyte posted:

Finally had the time to move my waterblock to my replacement GPU after the first 2080 Ti I got exploded* so now my computer isn't a half-assembled mess and my desk isn't full of parts.

The nerd office corner does get a bit dark at night, I should look into a 2700K LED strip and diffuser or something. I don't get how those of you with neon pink mood lighting can stand it; different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Also, cable managing a standing desk so it still works without issue is hard and I'm bad at it, OK:

* Okay, it didn't explode, just stopped wanting to render 3D graphics.

What's this desk please?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Barnsey posted:

What's this desk please?

Jarvis Bamboo Standing Desk. The 150x75 cm/60x30 inch contoured one, specifically. It's a very nice desk.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Xik posted:

Wow thanks, that loving owns.

It really did. The hot keys to switch inputs were great too... but I returned the dell 38 and went for the lg 34 5k because the color/brightness is almost spot on for matching with 5k iMac. I like that KVM a lot though. Wish dell had the same panel I have now. Also the 38 in fast mode was unusable.

I think and hope I’m done with all this monitor poo poo.

I went:

1. Impulse 32inch LG monitor at Costco for 350. It was dim as hell and the VA panel looked like poo poo.
2. Alienware 34 curved display with gsync. $799. But let’s face it. I’m not good enough at video games to justify how dim it was or bad at switching between machines.
3. Dell 3818DW for $880 which is a great price. The only real downsides were the brightness and though the KVM was great it didn’t turn off the input when it switched so my iMac tried to keep that as a screen.
4. Lg 5k thing, $1099. By far the best picture. Bright, not as bright as iMac, and very crisp. Changing between usbc inputs and usb3 isn’t great but I spend most of my time on my Mac working, not working on my .25k/d on [insert any FPS here]

Anyway. Moral of the story. gently caress Costco and my inability to control myself from going down this rabbit hole. But real question. Is there a better monitor out there? At this point I might as well spend as much as necessary. Why stop now?

And no, the 8k dell is not an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I don’t think such a holy grail professional + gaming monitor exists nor can it for the foreseeable future. I have an LG 34UM95P, AW3418DW, and a 24” 4K monitor I got specifically for reading documentation in portrait mode ... that is staying in its box once more.

I’d easily pay $1700+ for an ultra wide IPS G-Sync monitor with USB-C inputs and a KVM (I literally only have two ultrawides for work and for loving around) but no such monitor exists because of how the G-Sync module itself seems to work, so here I am hauling these huge boxes that are literally bigger than the one my lawn mower came in while I contemplate different desk and office layouts to accommodate so many monitors.