Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I was right. DS9 looks like absolute rear end. It's amazing really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Alan_Shore posted:

I was right. DS9 looks like absolute rear end. It's amazing really

It's just sad. You imagine the thousands and millions of dollars poured into this labor of love which is now a brown and orange fuzz

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Also was the doctor from Enterprise meant to be some sort of hybrid between Neelix and the EMH? Decently entertaining character but only by virtue of trying to be Robert Picardo.

I don't see the resemblance. Doctor Phlox is quite low-key compared to Neelix and he's much kinder and more likeable than the sarcastic dickhead that is the EMH.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I don't see the resemblance. Doctor Phlox is quite low-key compared to Neelix and he's much kinder and more likeable than the sarcastic dickhead that is the EMH.

And kinky.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

It's just sad. You imagine the thousands and millions of dollars poured into this labor of love which is now a brown and orange fuzz

I don't know if it's worse that we've seen a glimpse of it in HD and it's beautiful :(

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

I don't know if it's worse that we've seen a glimpse of it in HD and it's beautiful :(

I guess it's nice to know it's possible. Like how any rock can be pulled from the earth and polished up. Nobody's gonna polish all the rocks, but... it can be done.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Brawnfire posted:

And kinky.

Wasn't it that his people were polyamorous? I half remember him freaking out Trip with a casual "hey, my wife is into you, you should totally schtump her brains out" at some point.

Unrelated, one of the guys at the Greatest Gen mentioned this on one of their episodes, and I find myself agreeing: I really wish that over time the Cardassian paneling and coloring of DS9 would Federationize (for lack of a better term). It would've been really cool for sheer progression. I mean, it kinda did that already, but more would've been nice.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

I guess it's nice to know it's possible. Like how any rock can be pulled from the earth and polished up. Nobody's gonna polish all the rocks, but... it can be done.

The Rocks We Left Behind

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

Wasn't it that his people were polyamorous? I half remember him freaking out Trip with a casual "hey, my wife is into you, you should totally schtump her brains out" at some point.

Yeah, their culture is pretty sexually open. They come from a long history of swinging.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Makes sense when your marriages are each person has 3 spouses independently of one another that you'd be pretty open about that poo poo.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Dr. Phlox is a laid back alien along for the ride. He’s a more accepting, less judgmental counter to T’Pol’s Vulcan criticisms. T’Pol calls the humans on their failings and prejudices early and often. Phlox gently suggests that universe is a bigger place and doesn’t fit the human narratives.

That doesn’t mean he’s a push over. He’ll stand up to Archer when ethics demands. He’s also a practitioner of alternative medicines. He doesn’t have access to the miracle cures Bones and Crusher have.

The only things I’ve seen Billingsly in are Enterprise, Six Feet Under, and a corporate customer service training video. That’s a shame.

*Dr. Phlox is an anti-vaxxer.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah, their culture is pretty sexually open. They come from a long history of swinging.

This was a nod to Gene.

Gorelab posted:

Makes sense when your marriages are each person has 3 spouses independently of one another that you'd be pretty open about that poo poo.

Who would make a better living , a Denebian divorce lawyer or an Andorian divorce lawyer?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Oxyclean posted:

I know time cops pop up a few times, and the Federation has a Temporal Prime Directive or whatever, but I'm kind of surprised the federations' enemies didn't somehow find out about these time travel techniques and just abuse them like crazy.

The fun (read: literally loving awful) thing about time travel in shows like Star Trek is that... they might be! You can't know! Star Trek has established a million times over that people who aren't directly involved in the time travel shenanigans have no idea what's going on, except for when they do, but nevermind that. Maybe every episode of Star Trek is in a universe where other people have hosed with the Federation. Maybe Yesterday's Enterprise is the un-hosed with timeline and Guinan is just a dummy. Maybe the reason every other episode involves some universe-changing discovery that's then promptly forgotten is because someone went back in time to erase it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Some things about DS9 pilot:

1) for all the talk and drama about her being so young, I think Terry Farrell holds herself up really well

2) it was really nice to have that scene with Picard and O'Brian, with a little bit of that TNG theme

3) they should have had an episode of TNG overlapping this one where we see Picard's reaction to that meeting with Sisko

4) this is the best pilot of Star Trek

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

3) they should have had an episode of TNG overlapping this one where we see Picard's reaction to that meeting with Sisko

That... sounds pretty cool.

BLEE-DE-BLEE-DE

"Come."

"Captain, you've been brooding in here all day." says Troi, concerned,

"Brooding? Hm. I suppose..." Picard inhales heavily. "I had a most... uncomfortable experience, counselor."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MisterBibs posted:

Unrelated, one of the guys at the Greatest Gen mentioned this on one of their episodes, and I find myself agreeing: I really wish that over time the Cardassian paneling and coloring of DS9 would Federationize (for lack of a better term). It would've been really cool for sheer progression. I mean, it kinda did that already, but more would've been nice.

I've thought that would have been cool too. Probably too expensive for a TV show though.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Sash! posted:

I've thought that would have been cool too. Probably too expensive for a TV show though.

Set designing? Not really.
It would’ve been fun tit for tat redecorations when the station keeps changing between Federation and Cardassian hands.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Automatic Slim posted:

Set designing? Not really.
It would’ve been fun tit for tat redecorations when the station keeps changing between Federation and Cardassian hands.

Every season could have opened with a bit of a different tone. Brighter lighting, new duranium panels here and there, some extra screens...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Automatic Slim posted:

*Dr. Phlox is an anti-vaxxer.

Billingsly played one on The Orville (S02E03). He was great in a great episode; and was only one of three Trek alumni in the episode.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Billingsly played one on The Orville (S02E03). He was great in a great episode; and was only one of three Trek alumni in the episode.

I’ve been neglecting Orville for too long.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if it's intentional or not, but I like how - during the 'Ent-D is getting hosed up in space' scene in Generations - the Klingons are all "fire at will!", and the next shot is Riker doing an 'is there anything we can pull out of thin air to save the day' bit, while injured crewmembers are being dragged away from around him.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

mllaneza posted:

Serve the trivalve sauce... with your hand. :)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

spincube posted:

I don't know if it's intentional or not, but I like how - during the 'Ent-D is getting hosed up in space' scene in Generations - the Klingons are all "fire at will!", and the next shot is Riker doing an 'is there anything we can pull out of thin air to save the day' bit, while injured crewmembers are being dragged away from around him.

I love everything the Brian Thompson klingon says in that movie. The teeth and his delivery conspire to make every shouted line a river rapid of consonants.

WE ARE CLOAWKING
OUWER SHIELDS ARE DOWAN

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Brian Thompson is one of those guys where it feels like he's been on Trek way more times than he actually has, it was only 3 times wasn't it?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tighclops posted:

Brian Thompson is one of those guys where it feels like he's been on Trek way more times than he actually has, it was only 3 times wasn't it?

5 times according to Memory Alpha. Two Klingons, the weird red wrestler dude from DS9, a Jem Hadar, and the Romulan Drone guy from Enterprise.

I always forget he’s the Klingon that helps Riker in A Matter of Honor.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Brawnfire posted:

Serve the trivalve sauce... with your hand. :)

That's such an amazing scene. Cherry Chevapravatdumrong's script is very well conceived - turning a family drama episode into Cape Fear with no notice. The actors completely sell it under John Cassar's direction, and it looks like experience on 24 actually helped him handle the tone of the second half of the episode. Probably the best episode of the season.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tighclops posted:

His is a chin you don’t soon forget.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

His is a chin you don’t soon forget.

Makeup artists must have loved him. He already looks like an alien, just flesh out the details and you're golden.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I guess it's mostly in the way he speaks. The phrasing and cadence is very reminiscent of Picardo's EMH, just lacking the misanthropy.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
If the EMH just chilled out and smoked some space kush, you'd get Dr. Phlox.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Kibbles n Shits posted:

If the EMH just chilled out and smoked some space kush, you'd get Dr. Phlox.

There's kush in that nebula,.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Automatic Slim posted:

The only things I’ve seen Billingsly in are Enterprise, Six Feet Under, and a corporate customer service training video. That’s a shame.

That's a disturbing lack of Stargate and Orville in your life then.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Trip Tucker and Captain Archer are all right enough individually, but they didn't seem to belong in the same show because there is only so much room for people who are easily compared with Captain Kirk in one episode before it goes from tolerable to tedious

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
“What if our show had George and Jeb Bush?”

(Archer is Jeb)

Please clap

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

“What if our show had George and Jeb Bush?”

(Archer is Jeb)

Please clap
Archer can’t be Jeb because he becomes the first Federation President

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

Archer can’t be Jeb because he becomes the first Federation President

:drat:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Brawnfire posted:

Makeup artists must have loved him. He already looks like an alien, just flesh out the details and you're golden.

So much so that they didn't even bother with the makeup in that one series I need not name.

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Well tally ho! With a bing and a bong and a buzz buzz buzz!

Automatic Slim posted:

He’s quite disturbing in short horror film AM1200.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

marktheando posted:

The last random Voyager episode I watched was the Irish Village one. The one before was the one with the flashback to Janeway's boring ancestor. I've watched all of Entrprise and there is nothing even approaching how bad and boring those episodes are.

incorrect, the Dying Dog episode is worse than all voyager ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Miles O'Brien's No Good Very Bad Time Day might be my favorite DS9 side episode.

E: Mind you Distant Voices, my old favorite and easy second is right after that so maybe just lump those two together for a really good night of Trek.

Orv fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 5, 2019