Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
For some reason, I used to prefer playing without wings. So much so that I'd deliberately ram the ground to break them off. I don't think I ever tried Expert mode, though; I'm not all that good at shooters of any description, so I may not have even unlocked it, but I certainly didn't get past Corneria on it because of my lack of skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Expert "easy" venom is a hilarious mess of mashing the R and A buttons while hoping you survive. Its great.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hard Venom is basically the game testing to see if you learned that you turn faster in app range mode by going vertical. You can't really out turn star wolf otherwise.

Kid me had a whole lot of runs die on Area 6.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Star Wolf fights were always the best part of the game for me. After a lot of blowing up endless fields of mooks, it's refreshing to get an equal opponent.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Also this wasn't shown off but you can cheese some of the star wolf fights by cancelling out of their intro cutscene early. They'll still be flying to the center of the stage in formation when you get control, and you can blast some/all of them out of the sky.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

My sister accidentally crashed into one of the pillars on hard venom just as star wolf appeared. Wolf started chasing and flew straight into the pillar as well, which took him out instantly. I don't remember if it was worth any points but it really makes me appreciate how durable the arwing is.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Star Wolf will fly into pillars and the game does properly model damage for doing so. And you can tighten your turn radius by holding Z or R while going left or right and braking.

Really disappointed you didn't show off 'easy' Venom on Expert. Now that's a fun stage.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This game is so good and you did a great job in showing it. I laughed a lot too.

I loved this game and I'm sad that none of the rest of the franchise ever managed to hit this level again. If Starlink really is that good, I'll definitely have to give it a try.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Do they have some data somewhere suggesting that all-range stuff is more popular than the on-rails sections? I liked the later more and was disappointed that they leaned towards the former as the franchise went on.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
The optimal route was Corneria --> Sector Y --> Katina --> Sector X --> Macbeth --> Area 6 --> Venom II on expert thanks for coming to my TED talk

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

TheLoquid posted:

The optimal route was Corneria --> Sector Y --> Katina --> Sector X --> Macbeth --> Area 6 --> Venom II on expert thanks for coming to my TED talk

For kills...? Nuh-uh, replace Sector Y with Meteo for raw kills count.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Nah the best route is Corneria, Y, Aquas, Zoness, Macbeth, area 6, Venom 2.

There are strats that let you come out of Aquas with 300 hits.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Natural 20 posted:

Nah the best route is Corneria, Y, Aquas, Zoness, Macbeth, area 6, Venom 2.

There are strats that let you come out of Aquas with 300 hits.

It's this OP

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

BlazetheInferno posted:

No just for pure fun. Also if you don't save every single one of Bill's dudes you're a war criminal.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Saving all of Bill's dudes is pretty hard. In addition to accidentally shooting them down yourself or hitting them with splash damage from the charge shot, the enemies are indeed capable of shooting them down themselves.
Usually in combination with the splash damage :v:

Also part of what makes Sector 6 so great is the enemy chatter. It really helps the feel of invading Venom :getin:

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also part of what makes Sector 6 so great is the enemy chatter. It really helps the feel of invading Venom :getin:

Any game with enemy chatter is a better game than without. :colbert:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I love Starfox 64, it' s probably one of the few N64 games that hasn't aged like old milk....mostly because the sequels afterwards have either been mediocre or so bad. It's like Nintendo is afraid to make another good straightforward rail shooter without any gimmicks.

Also, Starlink owns. Leave it to freakin' Ubisoft, of all people, to make a decent game featuring Fox and crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

Saving all of Bill's dudes is pretty hard. In addition to accidentally shooting them down yourself or hitting them with splash damage from the charge shot, the enemies are indeed capable of shooting them down themselves.
Usually in combination with the splash damage :v:

It really is a great framing device for the whole level. The increasing panic of the henchmen as you're blowing through their capital ships creates such a great feeling for the player. And the boss actually really works as this final, last ditch experimental weapon. That and Sector Y are probably the two best levels in the game.