Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Away all Goats posted:

Why is it bullshit?

It’d be like me saying Christians can’t critique Schindler’s List. It’s bigoted and stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
if different group experiences are entirely self-enclosed and impossible to at least somewhat bridge through the medium of language then no one can intrinsically understand anyone, all communication is pointless, and everything is a war to the death.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Steve2911 posted:

She said we need to hear more WOC critics in the space rather than the same old white male voices and she was 100% correct.

Being a white male reviewer doesn't mean you have to 'call her out' on it. Just let other people speak for once in your loving life.

They were talking about what she said not what you think she said you disingenuous shitstain.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zane posted:

if different group experiences are entirely self-enclosed and impossible to at least somewhat bridge through the medium of language then no one can intrinsically understand anyone, all communication is pointless, and everything is a war to the death.

Lmao that owns

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Super Deuce posted:

No. She said she doesn’t want to hear what a white man has to say because it wasn’t for him. That’s bullshit. It’s a very clear distinction.

Oh yes, the billion-dollar superhero movie isn't "for" white guys.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Zane posted:

Thats the good poo poo.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

what is wrong with you people, lol

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

MrFlibble posted:

They were talking about what she said not what you think she said you disingenuous shitstain.
here are some things she said. if you have others you'd like to discuss please, find some quotes!

“I don’t want to hear what a white man has to say about ‘A Wrinkle in Time.’ I want to hear what a woman of color or a biracial woman has to say about the film. I want to hear what teenagers think about the film.”

(note: a wrinkle in time. not captain marvel. this was from a press day for AWIT.)
this isn't about who gets to write, it's about who brie larson listens to.

“About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies. I noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male.”
(from a marie clare interview about CM)
Are you saying she's wrong and that press days aren't white male?

also, can you point to anything objectionable here?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

awesmoe posted:

here are some things she said. if you have others you'd like to discuss please, find some quotes!

“I don’t want to hear what a white man has to say about ‘A Wrinkle in Time.’ I want to hear what a woman of color or a biracial woman has to say about the film. I want to hear what teenagers think about the film.”

(note: a wrinkle in time. not captain marvel. this was from a press day for AWIT.)

“About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies. I noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male.”

No, I agree with it all. Which...I believe the RLM people also did? After talking about how awkward her phrasing was. Which I mean, hey, I can think of a way to phrase it better but then again I am not a woman of colour, a biracial woman or a teenager so what do I know.

MrFlibble fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 5, 2019

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MrFlibble posted:

She's said more than one thing. She's been quoted on one hyperbolic statement but she's said a lot surrounding it you anal dirge.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

MrFlibble posted:

No, I agree with it all. Which...I believe the RLM people also did? After talking about how awkward her phrasing was. Which I mean, hey, I can think of a way to phrase it better but then again I am not a woman of colour, a biracial woman or a teenager so what do I know.

Then why is she a raging feminist if you agree with what she said?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

awesmoe posted:

Yes. It doesn’t matter what she thinks is “for” someone. It’s mass entertainment and even if it wasn’t, white men can have perspective. Anyways, what kind of poo poo story can only be appreciated by a specific subgroup of humanity? Again it isn’t relevant what movie she’s talking about. It’s nonsense.

Can non Jews critique Schindler’s list? Or even A Serious Man which I’d argue is more of the “Jewish experience”?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Super Deuce posted:

Yes. It doesn’t matter what she thinks is “for” someone. It’s mass entertainment and even if it wasn’t, white men can have perspective. Anyways, what kind of poo poo story can only be appreciated by a specific subgroup of humanity? Again it isn’t relevant what movie she’s talking about. It’s nonsense.

Can non Jews critique Schindler’s list? Or even A Serious Man which I’d argue is more of the “Jewish experience”?

What on earth are you talking about?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Their issue was less her message and more that Brie Larson seems smug and insufferable, iirc

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Super Deuce posted:

Cry me a loving river over the erasure of white male voices.

VVV Are you loving serious?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

socialsecurity posted:

Because anyone trying to exclude others shouldn’t be placed on a societal pedestal regardless of what group they come from?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

awesmoe posted:

People who get mad about Brie Larson are uniformly trash and this forum is no exception.

Steve2911 posted:

This times 1000, and I'm a white male.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 5, 2019

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
It's time to break the wheel y'all!

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Steve2911 posted:

Never said anything about caring whether white men disappear or not. I do care if anyone pushes out other voices simply because of their skin color and genitalia. It’s weird how this is okay. She was wrong to say what she said. If she left it as “I wish there were more critiques from different backgrounds” not “white men can’t talk about this”. They aren’t the same thing.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

^^ this is dangerously close to "why can't white people say the n-word??"

Steve2911 posted:

the fragile white male will always cry when faced with the idea no one cares about whatever shithead opinions they want to scream into the void

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

socialsecurity posted:

No? I said that referring to the RLM crew having ideas about the way Brie Larson phrased her response being outside the feminist norms being shocking as something comical (hence lol they're not raging feminists)

I haven't actually called anyone a raging feminist as far as I can tell.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Super Deuce posted:

Never said anything about caring whether white men disappear or not. I do care if anyone pushes out other voices simply because of their skin color and genitalia. It’s weird how this is okay. She was wrong to say what she said. If she left it as “I wish there were more critiques from different backgrounds” not “white men can’t talk about this”. They aren’t the same thing.

Its about mens rights in movie journalism

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

TheRat posted:

Its about mens rights in movie journalism

I think it’s just about a vapid human trying to create more barriers instead of knocking them down.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Super Deuce posted:

She didn't say they couldn't you idiot she said that she doesn't want to hear their opinions because she rightfully doesn't give a gently caress about what they have to say.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm glad people are fighting back against the repressive whims of Brie Larson who somehow has total control over who gets to criticize movies

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I didn't think this thread could get worse than Arya loving yet here we are.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

nooneofconsequence posted:

This is more entertaining as there was more build up

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Super Deuce posted:

Do you actually imagine that somehow we're facing a dark future where there are no white male movie reviewers? Truly an Orwellian hellscape that we're not even remotely near.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

nooneofconsequence posted:

This is more entertaining than the episode tbh

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Super Deuce posted:

It’s weird how this is okay. She was wrong to say what she said. If she left it as “I wish there were more critiques from different backgrounds” not “white men can’t talk about this”.

Weird how she didn't say the second one at all.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

pseudanonymous posted:

Do you actually imagine that somehow we're facing a dark future where there are no white male movie reviewers? Truly an Orwellian hellscape that we're not even remotely near.

Even if it were true they'd just start a bunch of terrible podcasts

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Bearded YouTube fatsos have suffered far too long under the oppressive yoke of Brie Larson.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

DrNutt posted:

Even if it were true they'd just start a bunch of terrible podcasts

A bunch more you mean.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The Cap Marvel review has a p good throughline with the RLM bois thinking it's silly that people get all up in their feels trying to make mass appeal big budget blockbusters some weird war on sexism, and courting those controversies for publicity, as well as an easy way to brush off criticism of the end product. They discuss this kinda stuff in the GB'16 and Wonder Woman reviews as well.

Mostly the dunking on Larson was due to her not seeming like a v pleasant person overall from what I remember.

They make some p dumb jokes, but for middle aged white dudes in the midwest I'd say they are p liberal dudes and certainly not chuds.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

Weird how she didn't say the second one at all.

No but she implied opinions other then White Males matter and therefore she must be taken down, anyone who disagrees with this is just upset they aren't raging feminists.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

pseudanonymous posted:

A bunch more you mean.

:thejoke:

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014
Don't you all see that this infighting is exactly what the white walkers want

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Why are the last 60 posts about some cheese actor from a movie and not about an actor from the cheesy TV show to which this thread is dedicated?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Zudgemud posted:

Why are the last 60 posts about some cheese actor from a movie and not about an actor from the cheesy TV show to which this thread is dedicated?

Not everyone has seen the new leaked episode yet and people are being polite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Tellah posted:

Don't you all see that this infighting is exactly what the white walkers want

They're being replaced with the Cyan Sprinters