Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
None of this would happen, if Goat Man was still around to keep these lunatics in check. Besides Toffee, he's the only characters who actually kicked the bucket during the course of the show, right?

Edit: There isn't really a spoiler here.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

BioEnchanted posted:

Well, given that They literally just committed high treason, and endangered all of Mewni in doing so, I'm hoping that they aren't let off the hook for this stunt. THis sort of poo poo would have got Eclipsa, Meteora and Globgor killed, not just dethroned, along with all the other monsters in Mewni if Star wasn't on her way to beat some sense into them. Especially since they are still hanging with Rhombulous, who is supposed to be in jail.

Bold prediction: It's gonna turn out Glossaryck is behind everything.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Bold prediction: It's gonna turn out Glossaryck is behind everything.

That's no excuse. Even if they have been manipulated since before Celestia, they still think their decisions are their own - these are the types of people they have always been, cowardly idiots hiding behind a string of lunatics and racists. Moon, Star and Eclipsa are the only queens who bothered to hold them accountable.

It's literally the only following orders defense.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Hey now, have you considered that they may be right? It's presented really ambivalently, so I'm not really sure who's the enemy here, if there is one at all.
One side wants to Kill Meteora's family and probably a bunch of other monsters for no reason other than generation long racism and one side doesn't want that. to happen Maybe there's a compromise? :shrug:

It's also interesting that the show literally confirmed that, Mewmans where just American settlers who came there by the magic wells, lost their memories of earth and continued to eradicate the natives.
And Glossarick created the MHC to help those jerks for some reason?

I assume there's more than one magic well on earth, because otherwise there were for some reason Puritan settlers in California. Was that a thing? I assumed those mostly stayed in New England. Then again, that might just be shorthand for the general fashion from back then.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 5, 2019

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Hey now, have you considered that they may be right? It's presented really ambivalently, so I'm not really sure who's the enemy here, if there is one at all.
One side wants to Kill Meteora's family and probably a bunch of other monsters for no reason other than generation long racism and one side doesn't want that. to happen Maybe there's a compromise? :shrug:

It's also interesting that the show literally confirmed that, Mewmans where just American settlers who came there by the magic wells, lost their memories of earth and continued to eradicate the natives.
And Glossarick created the MHC to help those jerks for some reason?

I assume there's more than one magic well on earth, because otherwise there were for some reason Puritan settlers in California. Was that a thing? I assumed those mostly stayed in New England. Then again, that might just be shorthand for the general fashion from back then.

If that first part is facetious, you should use something more obvious than a :shrug:. Poe's Law and all.

The Mewmans couldn't have been American settlers in California. Eclipsa is over 300 years old and the Butterfly Kingdom was well established in her time.
There would have to be more wells or some other shenanigans.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

If that first part is facetious, you should use something more obvious than a :shrug:. Poe's Law and all.

The Mewmans couldn't have been American settlers in California. Eclipsa is over 300 years old and the Butterfly Kingdom was well established in her time.
There would have to be more wells or some other shenanigans.

Maybe time does not match up. Anyway from the sound of it the Whole MHC was in on the frame Eclipsa plot, they just let Rhombulus take the fall when it failed, then made another plan right away.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
That was all great dramatic plot and all but man aside from the last one this batch of episodes was the funniest in a long while. I missed Marco's dad, he's always hilarious. And Mama Star was hilarious from beginning to end, except for Marco losing it and ranting about wanting to be in Star's pocket, which was adorable :kimchi: loving Tom spinning his head around trying to turn off the fire had me in stitches.

Anyway, disappointed in the MHC. Well okay, really just Hekapoo. She's usually cool when she pops up and I don't like that she's still a racist species-ist. I wonder what's polluting the magic world (aside from the literal pollution the gang threw in at the start of Mama Star). Like, it can't be Mina, right? That just doesn't make sense. The unicorn said they were "souring" magic by going there, but like, Star and Moon have gone there before, apparently numerous humans have been there, it can't just be Star's repeat visits, can it? The last time magic went all purple it was because of Toffee but he hasn't been around. It seems like this is all leading to Glossaryck doing a heel turn but I just don't get his endgame.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

TwoPair posted:

That was all great dramatic plot and all but man aside from the last one this batch of episodes was the funniest in a long while. I missed Marco's dad, he's always hilarious. And Mama Star was hilarious from beginning to end, except for Marco losing it and ranting about wanting to be in Star's pocket, which was adorable :kimchi: loving Tom spinning his head around trying to turn off the fire had me in stitches.

Anyway, disappointed in the MHC. Well okay, really just Hekapoo. She's usually cool when she pops up and I don't like that she's still a racist species-ist. I wonder what's polluting the magic world (aside from the literal pollution the gang threw in at the start of Mama Star). Like, it can't be Mina, right? That just doesn't make sense. The unicorn said they were "souring" magic by going there, but like, Star and Moon have gone there before, apparently numerous humans have been there, it can't just be Star's repeat visits, can it? The last time magic went all purple it was because of Toffee but he hasn't been around. It seems like this is all leading to Glossaryck doing a heel turn but I just don't get his endgame.

Toffee made it green. Moon made it purple when she got half corrupted and washed the corruption off during Divide and Conquer. Apparently the purple corruption has been spreading since then.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

TwoPair posted:

I agree that these have been the best episodes of the series in a while. I liked the subversion of the "oh, Janna just randomly got there because it was a Janna joke and they're not going to explain it" expectation and how all the references to the previous episodes fit together so neatly. The one plot thread yet to be unraveled is when the MHC brought up dark, forbidden spell use from within Eclipsa's Monster Temple and she said she didn't know anything about it. She got the spell book, but it wasn't explicitly clear that was yet to be related. Maybe for self-defense, Eclipsa's been powering her spells in a way which increasingly corrupts the source of magic the more it is used. Maybe I'm misremembering and it was Butterfly Castle, in which case it was Mina

Edit: Yeah, it was actually about magic not used for centuries being used, before they cut back to Mina assembling the armor. I think it could go either way with it being Eclipsa or Mina but they're both the most likely if the corruption is caused by a person instead of being an accident caused by Moon's trip

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 6, 2019

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
You'd think that Hekapoo and Omnitraxus, being ancient, near-godlike entities with mastery over space and time, respectively, would have more perspective on the whole Mewmans vs Monsters thing and be less racist.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I like how they just had an entire episode about the cast getting high

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toffee made it green. Moon made it purple when she got half corrupted and washed the corruption off during Divide and Conquer. Apparently the purple corruption has been spreading since then.

oh yeeeaaaah. I think I only watched like half that episode, I should go back sometime and watch some of those plot heavy ones that I know I missed from the end of last season.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

You know, I find myself wondering a lot what Lekmet's opinion on this whole mess would be. The entire MHC is bonkers, but its never made clear what Lekmet's role in the Meteora fiasco would be and if he would reign in these idiots.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Pakled posted:

You'd think that Hekapoo and Omnitraxus, being ancient, near-godlike entities with mastery over space and time, respectively, would have more perspective on the whole Mewmans vs Monsters thing and be less racist.

It's space and spacetime. Totally different.Time is Father Times domain.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Magical High Commission are real poo poo at their jobs. Glossaryck's exasperation with them makes a lot more sense in the current context.

Reynaldo lucked out with his early retirement if you ask me.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 6, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The MHC are good at their jobs; managing spacetime, containing dangerous entities and creating and monitoring the use of portal scissors; they're just terrible at actually running Mewni, which kinda seems to be something they don't even need to do. And Star's pointed out the hypocrisy of them joining in the anti-monster prejudice before, along with the theme that much like real-world racial categories, the while divide is arbitrary. Tom's family and their race in general outright call themselves 'demons' seemingly just as rebranding (and maybe because they have the multi-soul thing going on) and hide some of their monstrous features and Mewmans accept them, and it was kinda spelled out with Rich Pigeon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah the only thing that seems to qualify someone for being a monster is living on Mewni and not being rich. The weird creatures from other dimensions that would totally be considered Monsters on Mewni but aren't are another example.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well, being Mewman looking seems to help, though it seems implied the boundaries are a lot more porous for the lower classes, enough that both sides share passion for the same sport.

Also much like real life, though it does seem there's low-key Mewman prejudice against anything too nonhuman looking and it's mostly the upper classes that are capable of selectively ignoring it. (Again like real-life, Moon's reaction to Buff Frog seems to imply her own prejudice is more class-based too) It was a thing in the backstory that Solaria would have wiped out the Lucitors and Pony Heads as well if not stopped.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's very unclear why the Commission is doing the things it's doing. There has to be some extra dimension to why they hate eclipsa. They seem like they otherwise don't really care about Mewmans, Mewnie, or really any of the rest of Star's dimension.

The magic dimension is hosed, and it's probably ultimately Eclipsa's fault, since that purple is the corruption that Moon got from using Eclipsa's spells, washed off into the magic goop. It's probably bad for the rest of the multiverse, although the relation is kinda nebulous. That could be why the portals were shut down, or it could have been the magical high commission, or some third thing. There's still the question of what spells were being cast at the monster temple that the commission was concerned about (they said it wasn't eclipsa's magic, and Mina wasn't at the monster temple) and what possible bearing on anything that errant spell of Eclipsa's inside the wand could have on anything.

Sure hope Globgor makes it to the end of this alive. And Moon has basically founded a new kingdom at this point, by whatever standards of what defines a kingdom. I guess maybe a little more fortification on the yurt and it's a new castle.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah the only thing that seems to qualify someone for being a monster is living on Mewni and not being rich. The weird creatures from other dimensions that would totally be considered Monsters on Mewni but aren't are another example.

Toffee and Ludo seemed pretty loaded.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Toffee and Ludo seemed pretty loaded.

Ludo's family was deliberately selected (by Crescenta the Eager in a rigged election) to serve as the monsters' ruling family, so they're the exception to the rule

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There was a monster king in Moon's flashback too, though seemed a puppet. And a rat landlord. Pretty clear that there's rich monsters too, who don't seem to care about the plight of poor ones.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's very unclear why the Commission is doing the things it's doing. There has to be some extra dimension to why they hate eclipsa. They seem like they otherwise don't really care about Mewmans, Mewnie, or really any of the rest of Star's dimension.

The magic dimension is hosed, and it's probably ultimately Eclipsa's fault, since that purple is the corruption that Moon got from using Eclipsa's spells, washed off into the magic goop. It's probably bad for the rest of the multiverse, although the relation is kinda nebulous. That could be why the portals were shut down, or it could have been the magical high commission, or some third thing. There's still the question of what spells were being cast at the monster temple that the commission was concerned about (they said it wasn't eclipsa's magic, and Mina wasn't at the monster temple) and what possible bearing on anything that errant spell of Eclipsa's inside the wand could have on anything.

Sure hope Globgor makes it to the end of this alive. And Moon has basically founded a new kingdom at this point, by whatever standards of what defines a kingdom. I guess maybe a little more fortification on the yurt and it's a new castle.

My pet theory is that Glossaryck is trying to commit some form of cosmic suicide, being an immortal and all-powerful being that is tethered to helping the Butterfly family, and has been manipulating events for some time to try and bring about this conclusion. (Maybe by destroying magic altogether? Hard to say).

As for the spells on Mewni though, I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be an explicit reference to what Mina was doing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

My pet theory is that Glossaryck is trying to commit some form of cosmic suicide, being an immortal and all-powerful being that is tethered to helping the Butterfly family, and has been manipulating events for some time to try and bring about this conclusion. (Maybe by destroying magic altogether? Hard to say).

As for the spells on Mewni though, I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be an explicit reference to what Mina was doing.

Do we really know that he's tethered to the Butterflys though? I mean it seems like he just does whatever the gently caress he wants whenever the gently caress he wants and is extremely powerful. The whole book thing might just be a big lie he told that everyone believes.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
In a twist, Glossaryk will turn out to be Star and Tom's kid from the future, and he's setting her up with Marco to prevent him ever being born.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I recently read "charade" in some political Tweet the way Ludo kept pronouncing it

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Moon, you idiot. You goddamn moron.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Toffee was right!
Eclipsas mother may have had some issues, but her outfit and hair were great.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
I don't know how I feel about where this series is going.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Toffee was right! .

SUPRISE!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If destroying magic puts everyone back where they "belong," I bet that puts Mewmans on Earth since that's where they come from.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

No.1 Special posted:

I do actually.
Star is realizing that the societal problem isn't that the wrong people are in power. Instead, monarchies have to be torn down all together. Especially, if they have a monopoly on magic forces, which are used as an easy shortcut solution to complicated problems.

Also, the Mewmans all suck in some way or another.

Pakled posted:

If destroying magic puts everyone back where they "belong," I bet that puts Mewmans on Earth since that's where they come from.

Maybe it's by place of birth? Who knows with those things?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm curious if the Magical High Commission are people/normal creatures enhanced by Glossaryck into powerful magical entities, or created whole cloth by magic, because while them ceasing to exist entirely would be totally appropriate for what assholes they all are, them being stripped back down to non-magical entities and being forced to deal with the scale of their shittiness would be monumentally more satisfying.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

No one man should have all that power
The clock’s ticking, I just count the hours
Stop tripping, I’m tripping off the power

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

No.1 Special posted:

I don't even know or understand where it's going or what's going on since little to none of it makes any sense any more beyond simply being there for pure simple spectacle or emotional tug.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

doomrider7 posted:

I don't even know or understand where it's going or what's going on since little to none of it makes any sense any more beyond simply being there for pure simple spectacle or emotional tug.

Basically Prince William is going to burn down buckingham palace and move his family into an apartment in the east end while using thier fortune to do charity work/fund infrastructure projects.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm curious if the Magical High Commission are people/normal creatures enhanced by Glossaryck into powerful magical entities, or created whole cloth by magic, because while them ceasing to exist entirely would be totally appropriate for what assholes they all are, them being stripped back down to non-magical entities and being forced to deal with the scale of their shittiness would be monumentally more satisfying.

Going by the first book, they were created from scratch it seems and I think a lot of their quirks were from him as well so pretty much everything wrong can be sort o traced back to him and JESUS does nothing going on really make sense comparing back to some of the previous seasons namely 2.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

BioEnchanted posted:

Basically Prince William is going to burn down buckingham palace and move his family into an apartment in the east end while using thier fortune to do charity work/fund infrastructure projects.

Layman's terms within the series please.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

doomrider7 posted:

It makes sense to me :shrug: The long and the short of it is that Star has recognized that magic is at the root of both Mewni's long and short term problems—historically, it has allowed the Mewmans to dominate the monsters, the Magic High Commission is so affixed to the status quo that they'll fight any attempts at reform, and in this very moment, it's the power behind the Solarian Warriors that seek to finally destroy all monsters. If Star can destroy magic, she solves each of those problems—the mewmans will no longer be able to threaten the monsters with magical force, the MHC will be gone, and the Solarians will be de-powered and reduced back to their ordinary selves. But the consequence of doing so is that without magic, there's no travel between dimensions, and thus Star and Marco won't be able to be together, right when they've finally confronted their feelings and found that they want to be with each other more than anything else in the world.

That make sense?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

Layman's terms within the series please.

Star has come to realize that magic causes much more destruction, ruin, and death than any help it has ever provided. It does this regardless of the intentions of the magic caster because it is too powerful and too unpredictable. Magic makes the Solarian warriors unstable and violent. Destroying a wand can make a whole castle explode. Long-term exposure to magic causes princesses to go through Mewberty and briefly become animalistic butterfly monsters. Solaria/Eclipsa's Nameless Spell causes immediate death to whatever it touches. Queens with ready magic use it to solve all their kingdom's problems and as a result Mewmans feel exposed and helpless without it. Put all that together and you can hopefully see why Star thinks the world might be better off without magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Star has come to realize that magic causes much more destruction, ruin, and death than any help it has ever provided. It does this regardless of the intentions of the magic caster because it is too powerful and too unpredictable. Magic makes the Solarian warriors unstable and violent. Destroying a wand can make a whole castle explode. Long-term exposure to magic causes princesses to go through Mewberty and briefly become animalistic butterfly monsters. Solaria/Eclipsa's Nameless Spell causes immediate death to whatever it touches. Queens with ready magic use it to solve all their kingdom's problems and as a result Mewmans feel exposed and helpless without it. Put all that together and you can hopefully see why Star thinks the world might be better off without magic.

Much better. A lot of things still have some Idiot Ball feels to them, but these comments at least clarify things.